HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Vinny Prospal, 1 yr. $1.1 million

Old
08-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Yeah, but he is too slow for Gaborik.

Good signing but hopefully they dont expect him to keep up with gabby
He doesn't have to...I tend to think Gaborik's speed is useful for springing him on breakaways, not playing two on one's with him and another teammate. But when in the offensive zone, a player who can hang onto the puck is useful, which is presumably why they brought in Prospal.

edit: he also played center to St. Louis before, who is obviously also a speedy player

But yeah, not really a big fan of how it blocks some players...makes the Rangers better this year but what about years to come when he's gone and some of these younger players like Anisimov or Lisin could have been getting valuable icetime? And does it make the Rangers a contender? I don't think so...so I'm not sure the long term value in it

I guess we'll see how it shakes out...he could put up a nice number of points if he plays with Gaborik. He's probably still capable of 70 points with an elite player like Gaborik, which would boost the Rangers offense significantly.

Last edited by Levitate: 08-16-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

IMO we get Brad Richards now, Dubi being the centerpiece

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:37 AM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Agitator View Post
Nope, no concrete news on the Dubinsky front.
Then I'm wondering if Slats is getting ready to cut bait.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:40 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Yeah, another forward. I can't wait to see us line up 5 forwards in the Bombay Winged V formation. Who needs centers. I so want to come back and rag on the Z haters at the end of the season.
and what will you say "hahah, Prospal played like a scared girl in the playoffs too?"

Enough Z already. You talk about him like he's Gretzky. If he's so awesome how come no one else signed him either?

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:44 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ View Post
When Prospal was playing in the Czech League for Ceske Budejovice he was playing center the whole time. He was actually playing at center in Czech national team too (centering Jagr for example).

He will be playing center here in New York, mark my words.
As soon as I read that we signed him, I immediately thought the same thing.

Prospal has great vision and would probably serve this team best in a centering role as his playmaking skills are far superior to that of Dubinsky.

I can still see Dubi as a center with Drury moving to wing. If there's a player that can help mentor Dubinsky as a center it's going to be Drury in that they are both somewhat limited in their offensive talents, Chris can show Brandon the in's and out of keeping his feet moving and being in the right place at the right time.

Higgins - Prospal - Gaborik
Drury - Dubinsky - Kotalik
Avery - Anisimov - Callahan
Brash - Boyle - Lisin

I like the Prospal signing as it adds some actual offensive talent to this other wise talentless team.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:45 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
that is a possibility

Old
08-16-2009, 08:46 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Then I'm wondering if Slats is getting ready to cut bait.
Why would the Rangers cut bait? According to Brooks, a multi-year deal hasn't progressed and the deal will probably be 1 year at his qualifier. We control Dubinsky for 4 more seasons as an UFA, if we can't work out a long term deal now we'll have plenty more opportunities in the future.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:47 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I don't know. If anything this makes it easier for Sather to trade a center for a wing (Heatley?)

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:49 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Boy, I simply cannot complain given the terms for the player. And you KNOW he's motivated to prove TB wrong and earn that (last) big paycheck next summer.

Curious as to how this works out on the depth chart, though - I am distrurbed that this means Lisin or AA is back in the minors. But maybe Slats is simply counting on the fact that eventually we are going to see a forward lose significant time to an injury, which we haven't had for the last couple of years. Or maybe there's now another move coming. He did just give himself the ability to move 1-2 forwards and has positioned himself very well vis-a-vis the cap...

Also, while Brooks mentions this in context of the Dubi negotiations, I don't know that it necessarily means there are difficulties going on there. (Unless his agent got cocky when he heard that we wouldn't include him in a deal for Heatleay and is consequently asking for something north of Callahan's deal.) I mean, don't you sign Prospal for 1 year and $1.1MM regardless of where you stand with Dubi?

Last thought - if you can get Vinny freakin' Prospal for these terms, why do you need Kotalik for 3 years and $9MM? Speaks more to the deal that Slats got on Prospal, I guess, but it also might mean that Kotalik is trade bait at the deadline.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:50 AM
azrok22

Quote:
I can still see Dubi as a center with Drury moving to wing. If there's a player that can help mentor Dubinsky as a center it's going to be Drury in that they are both somewhat limited in their offensive talents, Chris can show Brandon the in's and out of keeping his feet moving and being in the right place at the right time.

Higgins - Prospal - Gaborik
Drury - Dubinsky - Kotalik
Avery - Anisimov - Callahan
Brash - Boyle - Lisin
Actually, when we still had Gomez, I liked the idea of Drury with Anisimov to take faceoffs and ensure defensive responsibility. If we go the route of Prospal centering Gaborik, which is worth examining if Dubinsky isn't cut out for it, then Drury with Anisimov makes more sense imo. In addition, Dubinsky and Cally showed some great chemistry.

Line 1: Higgins - Prospal - Gaborik
Line 2a: Avery - Dubinsky - Callahan
Line 2b: Drury - Anisimov - Kotalik (Drury would take faceoffs, but then play the role of LW)
Line 4: Brash - Boyle - Lisin

Anisimov with Drury and Kotalik also gives that line 2 shooters (Drury and Kotalik) and a playmaker.

Old
08-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Levitate

Prospal was bought out, so he's still getting a bunch of money from Tampa. That's why he was signed for a relatively low amount with the Rangers.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I like it. I like it a lot.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:56 AM
darko

Very good signing. Didn't think Prospal would come that cheap. Plus Lance Berkman of hockey is due for a big season judging by the way he's played last few years. I'm kinda sad Lisin is the odd man out as I wanted to see what he could do by playing on 3rd line (an improvement from where he played with Yotes).

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Really nice signing, especially at those terms.

In 07-08 he had a really strong season. 1.01 Goals/60 and 2.36 Pts/60 is legitimate first line production.

He averages around 4 Pts/60 on the PP. His 3.99 Pts/60 in 5v4 last season is far better than any player on the Rangers other than Antropov, who really doesn't count.

The Rangers PP will be better this season. It has to be. That alone can change the entire makeup of the team.

Last edited by Banks3rdLineCenter: 08-16-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:00 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Last thought - if you can get Vinny freakin' Prospal for these terms, why do you need Kotalik for 3 years and $9MM? Speaks more to the deal that Slats got on Prospal, I guess, but it also might mean that Kotalik is trade bait at the deadline.
Maybe even earlier than that. Wish we could move him to get a veteran D-man...

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:00 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Actually, when we still had Gomez, I liked the idea of Drury with Anisimov to take faceoffs and ensure defensive responsibility. If we go the route of Prospal centering Gaborik, which is worth examining if Dubinsky isn't cut out for it, then Drury with Anisimov makes more sense imo. In addition, Dubinsky and Cally showed some great chemistry.

Line 1: Higgins - Prospal - Gaborik
Line 2a: Avery - Dubinsky - Callahan
Line 2b: Drury - Anisimov - Kotalik (Drury would take faceoffs, but then play the role of LW)
Line 4: Brash - Boyle - Lisin

Anisimov with Drury and Kotalik also gives that line 2 shooters (Drury and Kotalik) and a playmaker.
Makes alot of sense. Get AA to play with a very solid veteran in Drury. Good call there.

Old
08-16-2009, 09:01 AM
McDonagh27

Quick question.. Is this deal 100% legit? In the past, I've never noticed Brooksy being the first to announce a signing..

Good deal if true.

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Jim Morrison

If Prospal could play either center/LW, doesn't this set up for a Richards or Heatley trade with Dubinsky involved?

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:05 AM
azrok22

It's always a possibility, but I think Dubinsky is still expected to center Gaborik.

As per Brooks in the same article he breaks the signing:

Quote:
The plan at the moment is to give Dubinsky the opportunity to claim the center position on the first line that will feature Marian Gaborik on the right and either Sean Avery or Christopher Higgins on the left. But if Dubinsky cannot handle the assignment, Prospal, who is strong on the puck, probably would get the call.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08162009...pal_184796.htm

Brooks has been pushing Richards hard all offseason... if there was still fire there (that he was aware of) I'd think he'd have seized the opportunity to push for Richards yet again.

Old
08-16-2009, 09:07 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

An extremely unsathery UFA signing.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Prospal eats up $1.1 million in cap space and considering Dubinsky is unsigned,how people still keep pushing the Heatley or Richards stuff is insane. Look at those cap numbers,how are the Rangers fitting in those salaries into their cap without a big salary going back and it still wouldn't be enough?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:15 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
It's always a possibility, but I think Dubinsky is still expected to center Gaborik.

As per Brooks in the same article he breaks the signing:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08162009...pal_184796.htm

Brooks has been pushing Richards hard all offseason... if there was still fire there (that he was aware of) I'd think he'd have seized the opportunity to push for Richards yet again.
Brooks has not been pushing hard for Richards.

Old
08-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Well that is quite a value signing. The guy is a legit second liner. you compare his contract to Kotalik's and have to scratch your head a bit.

That said, now we have 10 top 9 forwards. and only 4 pro defensemen. I was honestly expecting a Boullion signing.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:20 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Prospal is getting $1.167 million per for each of the next 6 years from TB.

Look at this market. Prospal took the best offer and signed it. It's a 1 year deal playing for a coaches he knows in Torts and Sully.Prospal is banking on having a very good season and going on the open market next July 1 when there will be money in the system.

The money in the NHL has already been spent. Just like there would be 12 teams lining up to sign Zherdev

Old
08-16-2009, 09:22 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Brooks has not been pushing hard for Richards.
Well, I believe Brooks uses his paper space to push his agenda.

The fact he was the only legitimate media source suggesting Richards to the Rangers, in addition to the Dallas writer denying the report makes me believe Brooks wants Richards.