HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier - Rangers new special assistant to Sather & was interviewed for EDM coach

Old
08-16-2009, 02:59 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Yeah, no harm in giving him an interview. It's the final decision that counts.

If they were considering him as an assistant to learn the ropes, I'd be open to that. More so than Bucky.

I think he's got great potential to be a coach. But only time will tell.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 05:20 AM
Heavy Fuel

vCash: 500
By all means, folks, let's continue to enhance the reputation of Edmonton Oilers among NHL players by slamming the door in the face of one of the few guys who has stood up for this franchise in the media every chance he gets.

If Mark Messier came to the Oilers and asked to be considered for the job, why would they insult one of the franchise's all time greats by not at least giving him the courtesy of going through the motions?

It cost the team nothing to give Mark Messier the respect he deserves by giving him an interview.

Heavy Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:08 AM
JBell84

Are you guys serious? Ragging on management for interviewing him, and PASSING OVER HIM? They came to the same god damn conclusion you did, they just made sure they were properly educated on the issue (unlike yourselves, did you interview Messier?), stop being so transparently bitter. It really doesn't reflect well.

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I don't see the big deal. I'd rather they interview him than not. Better to explore all possibilities than limit yourself before you even get started.
I tend to agree with this. Also, it is not like they would have had 4000 serious applications. Hockey is a very small world. It does not hurt to keep doors open because you never know what the future brings.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:06 AM
oilersrule14

We hired two head coaches!! Would anybody be complaining if they had hired Quinn and Messier?? Would that cover the experience aspect enough for the whiners? When you're open to hiring two head coaches...then by all means, interview anyone with the potential to be a good head coach, experience or no experience.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:12 AM
davegagnerskid

Just giving Mess' the interview was a class move by the Oil. I'm sure he would of needed to wow them on some extraordinary level for him to get the job. More than likely this was the first coaching interview Moose ever had and he gained valuable experience by going through the process. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
"I couldn't be more thrilled with the opportunity to move back to New York with my family, to learn from Glen and to work for the Rangers," Messier said yesterday by phone from the Bahamas. "I'm going to come in and get my feet wet and get an overview of how the business runs and how the team runs and take it from there."

Poorly. Good luck "learning from Sather" lol, I guess unless you plan on learning the in and outs of overpayment.

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Antidote

Would Mess have taken an assistant job? I'd much rather have Messier than Bucky Screamer-Not-A-Teacher!

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Craig Mactavish was an ex-player with no head coaching experience when we hired him. How did that work out? We needed an experienced coach. The fact that they would interview another ex-player with even less coaching experience than his predecessor is very disturbing. It shows that they dont know wtf they are doing imo. As if we really need any more evidence of that.
So, to be clear, they needed an experienced coach, hired TWO very experienced coaches to fill the role, and you're maintaining incompetence because they interviewed all the people that applied for the job?

Hilarious. All of you who are casting management in a negative light are of course assuming that the Oilers actually went out of their way to give Messier an interview, instead of considering that Mess was simply interviewed as if he an applicant, just like anyone else.

Prospol just signed with the Rangers for $1.1M. Surely we should be moving on to the citing of that as Oiler management incompetence, no?

Last edited by Ol' Jase: 08-16-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 12:49 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
So, to be clear, they needed an experienced coach, hired TWO very experienced coaches to fill the role, and you're maintaining incompetence because they interviewed all the people that applied for the job?

Hilarious. All of you who are casting management in a negative light are of course assuming that the Oilers actually went out of their way to give Messier an interview, instead of considering that Mess was simply interviewed as if he an applicant, just like anyone else.

Prospol just signed with the Rangers for $1.1M. Surely we should be moving on the citing of that as Oiler management incompetence, no?
Completely agree.
I am as critical of management as anyone on this board but interviewing Messier isn't an indicator of anything but being fair.
Some posters apparently value supporting an agenda over common sense.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Fuel View Post
By all means, folks, let's continue to enhance the reputation of Edmonton Oilers among NHL players by slamming the door in the face of one of the few guys who has stood up for this franchise in the media every chance he gets.

If Mark Messier came to the Oilers and asked to be considered for the job, why would they insult one of the franchise's all time greats by not at least giving him the courtesy of going through the motions?

It cost the team nothing to give Mark Messier the respect he deserves by giving him an interview.
I have a different memory of a Messier who was missing in action the many times and years this org was in trouble and who did nothing and said nothing when the team was going to be moved, folded, etc.

A memory of a Messier who refused any association with the club at a time the club urgently needed name recognition and goodwill regeneration to sell tickets post Pocklington.

A Messier that was asked to play here again and flatly refused to have anything to do with the club.

A memory of Messier being one of those ex multimillionaire players that would not be a shareholder at 1M/per when shareloaders were desperately being sought. (People will remember the recruit for shareholders hit midnight as well. It was situation critical)

A memory of a Messier that flat out laughed at Lowe when Kevin tried to bring Messier into the fold as recently as a few years ago.

So again why are we interviewing this same Mark Messier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Completely agree.
I am as critical of management as anyone on this board but interviewing Messier isn't an indicator of anything but being fair.
Some posters apparently value supporting an agenda over common sense.
Call it an agenda. I call it memory.

I would not recruit this guy here after what has gone down before post career.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I have a different memory of a Messier who was missing in action the many times and years this org was in trouble and who did nothing and said nothing when the team was going to be moved, folded, etc.

A memory of a Messier who refused any association with the club at a time the club urgently needed name recognition and goodwill regeneration to sell tickets post Pocklington.

A Messier that was asked to play here again and flatly refused to have anything to do with the club.

A memory of Messier being one of those ex multimillionaire players that would not be a shareholder at 1M/per when shareloaders were desperately being sought. (People will remember the recruit for shareholders hit midnight as well. It was situation critical)

A memory of a Messier that flat out laughed at Lowe when Kevin tried to bring Messier into the fold as recently as a few years ago.

Wow, you are condemning an active player for not purchasing into the EIG, or dropping everything midseason to run to the rescue of the Oilers?

Messier was very active in our community as an Oiler, being a active fundraiser for the Alberta Lung Association. His retirement gala raised over $200,000 for the Oilers Community Foundation. He has always maintained a strong relationship with Edmonton, and has done his hometown proud.

Where does this 'flat out laughing' at Lowe come from. Is this an event you bore witness to?

Old
08-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Asher

Quote:

+1

The final slap in the face for me came when Messier said he would only play another year if it could be for the Rangers. KLowe tried to persuade Messier to play one more year for the Oilers (which would have been interesting since that team went to the Finals), and Messier said he'd rather retire. It's funny, the Oilers have had many superstars come and go, many of which went on to have huge successes elsewhere, and yet I get the distinct feeling all of them (Gretzky, Coffey, Fuhr, etc), still view themselves as Oilers. All but one that is, and ironically he's from Edmonton. Sure, he'll come back if they name a street after him, otherwise he's Ranger Blue.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
+1

The final slap in the face for me came when Messier said he would only play another year if it could be for the Rangers. KLowe tried to persuade Messier to play one more year for the Oilers (which would have been interesting since that team went to the Finals), and Messier said he'd rather retire. It's funny, the Oilers have had many superstars come and go, many of which went on to have huge successes elsewhere, and yet I get the distinct feeling all of them (Gretzky, Coffey, Fuhr, etc), still view themselves as Oilers. All but one that is, and ironically he's from Edmonton. Sure, he'll come back if they name a street after him, otherwise he's Ranger Blue.

Link?

Old
08-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Oilman76

It's not particularly news breaking that Mess interviewed for the head coaching job, and I'm glad we got the guys we hired. I'd been hoping he would come as an assistant (not qualified to be a head coach), but good for him to get the opportunity he's getting.

For guys to bad talk him and all, what good does that do? He did help bring 5 cups here, be happy for him not resentful he prefers New York and his mentor, Sather...

Oilman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Asher

Quote:
Link?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2159316

"Edmonton general manager Kevin Lowe, Messier's longtime teammate on the great Oilers teams, tried to convince him to return to his hometown for a farewell tour. But Messier really only considered playing in New York, where he has a young family."

The young family excuse doesn't hold water for me. Doesn't he live in Carolina?

Old
08-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2159316

"Edmonton general manager Kevin Lowe, Messier's longtime teammate on the great Oilers teams, tried to convince him to return to his hometown for a farewell tour. But Messier really only considered playing in New York, where he has a young family."

The young family excuse doesn't hold water for me. Doesn't he live in Carolina?
Thanks for the link.

However, you honestly believe that Messier's decision was not based on wanting to be close to his young family, but rather to consciously snub a team he won five Cups with?

Seriously, is there anything to indicate that Messier's decision wasn't solely based on what was stated above?

Reading more of the article:

Quote:
The Rangers held physicals for their players on Monday at the opening of training camp, but the longtime star never expressed intentions to return for another season.
Quote:
Messier said he never negotiated with the Rangers, and the decision to return to New York was "completely up to me."

But Rangers general manager Glen Sather, the architect of the Oilers' dynasty that was spearheaded by Messier and Gretzky, always left room for the rock-jawed captain to come back.
I just don't see a snub of any sort here.

Old
08-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Asher

Quote:
Thanks for the link.

However, you honestly believe that Messier's decision was not based on wanting to be close to his young family, but rather to consciously snub a team he won five Cups with?

Seriously, is there anything to indicate that Messier's decision wasn't solely based on what was stated above?

Reading more of the article:

I just don't see a snub of any sort here.
Not so much a snub as a desire to end his career with the team that feels most closely associated with - the Rangers. Same holds true about 2 years ago when Messier expressed public interest in becoming the GM of the Rangers (IIRC he named them specifically). It's not surprising to me that Messier would now take a job with the Rangers (in fact, I'm much more surprised that he would express interest in a job with the Oilers). They're his team - I would think that's kind of obvious by now. Ask Gretzky, Anderson, Coffey, etc. if they would like to be remembered as Oilers, and I guarantee you they will all answer with a resounding "yes." Ask Messier the same and he will dodge the question. I know, I've seen him do it on camera. He may not want to outwardly offend Oiler fans by running around proclaiming the Rangers are his team, but the truth is, they are.

Old
08-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:

Prospol just signed with the Rangers for $1.1M. Surely we should be moving on the citing of that as Oiler management incompetence, no?
Hear, hear.

What exactly is the problem with the Oilers giving one of their past stars the professional courtesy of an interview when he applies for a job?

Ke-rist.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Asher

There is a similar thread to this one on the Rangers forum. I thought the following post was very good:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
So this guys been sniffing around the NHL dinner table for scraps for what, 15 years, without working or earning a shot and he deserves to apprentice for the next Ranger GM? I feel the 94 Oiler contingent, except for Gravy, are like the uninvited guests that move in permanently. I'm amazed how little ex-Oilers identify with Edmonton.

We'll be stuck with ex-Oilers for my life-time. This Sucks!!!! This dude "lead" us into the toilet for his 2nd tour and he "knows what it takes to win in New York?"

Does he know where Edmonton is? Enough already. There are far more deserving former (home-grown) Rangers that deserve it more.

Am I, besides Checketts, the only guy that thinks we've already paid enough for that lonely Cup? He pulled hold-outs and extorted concessions from the Rangers, left to chase the money and returned to lead us out of the playoffs for years. Yeah, he's the greatest. NOT!

I wouldn't mind Leetch (never happen while the Baffoon from Banf-f-f is here) or Ricky as they're our guys. But Methuseluh?
As far as being "amazed [at] how little ex-Oilers identify with Edmonton," I totally understand the sentiment if one is using Messier as the example. Look at most other former Oiler greats, however, and you will see something very different.

Old
08-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Heavy Fuel

Quote:

Of for peter puck's sake, where do you come up with this stuff?

Who cares if the guy has different loyalties now?

How many other ex-players have returned to the fold to "save" us through play or investments?

He has said the right things when called upon, and not sold Edmonton down the river like some others.

He was given a courtesy interview at best. Who knows, he might turn into another Jacques Lemaire in a couple of years and we will wish we had given him the time of day...unlikely, to say the least...but perhaps Lowe did his old friend a solid, and it cost him nothing.

Why do people think it is any more than that?

Heavy Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Fuel View Post
Why do people think it is any more than that?
It's August.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 02:15 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
It's August.
Precisely.

What else is there to talk about..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 04:24 AM
Antidote

Quote:
Precisely.

What else is there to talk about..
Ya think? Top o' the board threads this morning are Tiger Woods, Usain Bolt, currency exchange, L'il Wayne and Smart Mop.

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Finger Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Craig Mactavish was an ex-player with no head coaching experience when we hired him. How did that work out? We needed an experienced coach. The fact that they would interview another ex-player with even less coaching experience than his predecessor is very disturbing. It shows that they dont know wtf they are doing imo. As if we really need any more evidence of that.
You're not looking at the big picture. The Oilers ACTUALLY PASSED UP a cronyism hire with one of the greats from the glory years. This is an incredible change for them. Sure, they interviewed him, but one step at a time grasshopper...one step at a time. If this keeps in just a few short seasons they'll be hiring only qualified people in every position!

Hang on a tic.

MacT apprenticed in NY before being hired on right? Maybe they're just waiting for Messier to get a track record elsewhere before hiring him onto a higher position. Maybe they interviewed him to let him know he has a job here when he's spent a year or two elsewhere to make it look like they're not just hiring him outright! I think everyone knows whats coming up

Lowe - director of hockey operations
Gretzky - GM
Buchberger - Head Coach
Messier - Assistant Coach

Finger Post is offline   Reply With Quote