HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Should I buy new skates?

Old
08-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Ajax02
Sauce.

vCash: 500
Should I buy new skates?

Thinking if I should invest in a nice new pair of skates.

I'm gonna be playing my last year of minor this fall and I plan on playing in an adult rec league or something in the years to follow.

So do you guys think its a good idea to invest in a nice pair of skates now, get one year of good use in them and basically have the intent of keeping them for as long as they last?

I currently have some cheap Nike's that my mom bought me in like Grade 9.. lol So I think it may be time for a new pair, but if I'm just going to be playing one more year do you think its worth it?

Thinking of spending around 200-350, what would you guys recommend?

Ajax02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Heat McManus

you can get a really great pair of Bauer Vapors (XXVs or XXXXs) right now on clearance probably. If you fit well in those Nikes then they will be a good fit.

If the skates are still supportive then it's not necessary, but spending money is all up to you.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

the XXVs are sold out on hockey monkey and are very cheap on hockeygiant but they only have big sizes

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Ajax02
Sauce.

What's EE? Is that the wide fit?

Old
08-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwan20 View Post
yes.

Old
08-16-2009, 06:24 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Yeah, it's the widest retail available.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Ajax02
Sauce.

Yea i think i may go with the XXXX's. Comparisons with the One95's?

Old
08-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Frankie Spankie

If you really plan on playing for a long time, go ahead and buy a really nice pair of skates. I had a cheap pair and the tuuk broke after about a year. I ended up buying a $200 pair of CCM Vector skates that are considerably lighter. I've had these for about 2 years with no problems at all and plan to just keep them for a long time.

The thing is, skates last for a pretty damn long time. You may think paying $200 for a pair of skates sounds expensive but if you play weekly all year round, they'll still last you about 15~ years so why not?

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Ajax02
Sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
If you really plan on playing for a long time, go ahead and buy a really nice pair of skates. I had a cheap pair and the tuuk broke after about a year. I ended up buying a $200 pair of CCM Vector skates that are considerably lighter. I've had these for about 2 years with no problems at all and plan to just keep them for a long time.

The thing is, skates last for a pretty damn long time. You may think paying $200 for a pair of skates sounds expensive but if you play weekly all year round, they'll still last you about 15~ years so why not?
Yea, thats what i think im gonna do.

Like get one real good year out of them and then i won't be playin as serious after this year so I'll just keep these pair for as long they last.

Old
08-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Yea i think i may go with the XXXX's. Comparisons with the One95's?
XXXX = narrower, not as deep. both are very stiff.

Old
08-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Ajax02
Sauce.

Are the Vapor XXXX skates on sale on any other sites? HockeyGiant doesn't have my size.

Old
08-17-2009, 09:06 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Are the Vapor XXXX skates on sale on any other sites? HockeyGiant doesn't have my size.
Any online store is going to have them on sale since there's a new vapor. Icewarehouse.com, hockeymonkey... I think there's a list pinned to the top of this board.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You really need to try on the skates in person before you buy. Each model fits way different. And these skates won't break in much at all, so you'll kill your feet with the wrong size or brand.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 02:00 AM
Ajax02
Sauce.

Opinions on going with a used pair of 40's?

Old
08-19-2009, 02:44 AM
hemsky88

You should go to a retailer that knows their stuff and get them to fit you. People on this forums are judging from their own experiences and they have a different foot then yours probably. The retailers will fit you perfectly and they can do it within your price range. My 2cents.!

hemsky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 10:31 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemsky88 View Post
You should go to a retailer that knows their stuff and get them to fit you. People on this forums are judging from their own experiences and they have a different foot then yours probably. The retailers will fit you perfectly and they can do it within your price range. My 2cents.!
I agree 100% with you and Jarick. If the OP is looking to buy a pair of skates that will last the next few years it's worth spending a few extra bucks to try them on before buying. To get the most out of your skates they should feel like they were made to be on your feet -- good weight, proper arch and ankle support, etc. I'd never buy skates from the internet although the pricing has tempted me to try. Gloves, pads, helmet, even sticks but don't do skates.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Opinions on going with a used pair of 40's?
how used, can you try them on before you buy them?

Old
08-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Ajax02
Sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
how used, can you try them on before you buy them?
Yea I've been looking at a few pairs on Craigslist.

I'm assuming a used pair of 40's may be a better option compared to say a new pair of X30's?

Old
08-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Yea I've been looking at a few pairs on Craigslist.

I'm assuming a used pair of 40's may be a better option compared to say a new pair of X30's?
it depends on how used they are. If they're a year old coming off the foot of a JrB player then they're done. If the guy bought them and then hated them after 3 skates then it's not a bad option.

Big caveat, it's always a gamble buying skates you can't try on prior to purchasing.

Old
08-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Ajax02
Sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
it depends on how used they are. If they're a year old coming off the foot of a JrB player then they're done. If the guy bought them and then hated them after 3 skates then it's not a bad option.

Big caveat, it's always a gamble buying skates you can't try on prior to purchasing.
I will be able to try them on no problem, but i'm just having trouble deciding what route i should take and which skates will be better for me overall.

Old
08-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Ajax02
Sauce.

K, so i'm going to be meeting someone to check out the Vapor 40's tomorrow.

How can you gauge the condition of the blades? I will be able to try them on, but what other things should I look for?

Old
08-20-2009, 10:54 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Look at the condition of the holders. Any cracks? If so, stay away unless you're willing to invest another $60 or so for new ones. Scuffing and scratches are okay, that's normal wear.

Looking at the steel. Look how much is left. If it's down to the point where there are very few sharpenings left, don't buy unless you're willing to sink $30 plus whatever your skate shop charges for a profiling and first sharpening.

Also, look at the profile. If you're getting them profiled it's not a big deal, but see if the profile matches. It it doesn't, that's going to screw with your skating.

Don't be scared by light rust. A good sharpener will take care of that the first time you take them in. You could even use steel wool yourself.

Sharpening. You're going to want to take them in anyway, but take a look at the runner. Is it singed? You'll see black steel where it melted. That can be fixed by grinding down further, and usually it just takes a pass or two to take off. But it could go deeper, and that would make you buy a new pair of runners. Keep in mind that you can't replace one, the other one has to match for you to skate right.

As for the boot itself, look for wear. Check the liner. If it's torn significantly, I would pass on the skate. If it's torn a little, it'll probalby tear more before too long if you're not careful, but careful use will keep it from tearing much more. Also, feel the boot. Is it still stiff? Does it have folds in the composite material at all? If it does, the skate is in bad shape. Cosmetic stuff is fine, but once the structure of the boot is compromised it won't be much good.

Tongue. Take a look at them. I don't know what's on those skates, but feel to see if it's compressed much around the top. If it has, it's not going to pad too well and might give you lacebite.

And last but not least, fit. Bauers are notorious for heel slippage. If the skate isn't a perfect fit, your heel will slide around and create a big bump on the back of your foot, known as Haglunds. They're colloquially known as Bauer bumps, and they can get to a point where you need surgery to get rid of them, and you won't fit any shoes or skates comfortably, so be warned. Make sure you fit well.

That should give you enough.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:31 AM
EmptyNetter

Jeebuz! Is this what hockey marketing has done to us? Somebody says Bauer xxxx's are the bees knees and without comparing their fit to other brands, other models, we just look for the best priced pair? (Sorry for the rant)

IMO this is a great opportunity -- picking out new skates on your own. They're your most important piece of hockey equipment and if you've got $350 to spend you should be looking to buy "the last pair of skates you'll ever own" even if you end up replacing them 5 years from now. To me that means trying on as many skates as it takes to find the right ones (in your price range) before you start worrying how much money you can save.

The first pair of adult skates I bought (CCM Tacks, don't remember the model) were from a big box store so the sales help wasn't as knowledgable as most LHS staffers. Also I had no interest at playing hockey -- they were just for casual rink skating. I got used to their feel and liked the high ankle support they gave me even when I started playing weekly pickup hockey. Early this year I decided to invest in a new pair. The ones I bought are Easton S7's -- they're so much different, so much more appropriate for my style of skating. They're also the right size -- I bought the Tacks based on my sneaker size. The Eastons are lighter and the ankle is cut lower. With more bend in my ankle I use my edges more. I can stop quicker and turn sharper than I ever could before. Until I got used to them I was afraid I'd always be turning my ankle but my ankles are plenty strong. Bottom line is -- if you upgrade your skates you can upgrade your skating IF you're wearing the size and style that's right for you.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Jordo

I have a question as well. I have a crack on the underside of my boot of my skate. Ive been skating on it for 2 or 3 years now without an issue, but should I get new skates?

Jordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 11:26 AM
stick9

If you really want to buy a skate that will last you a long time. Take the advice given here, go to your local shop, get a proper fitting, and choose the skate that fits the best.

I'm not against used gear, but where is that guy gonna be in two weeks if your feet start hurting or you realize they are too big...

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote