Old
08-14-2009, 11:24 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankatola Jamnuts View Post
A little Anaheim penalty magic:
Whitney is on pace for 23 minors in Pittsburgh, 25 in Anaheim.
Wisniewski is on pace for 19 minors in Chicago, 39 in Anaheim.
Nokelainen is on pace for 12 minors in Pittsburgh, 14 in Anaheim.

Pahlsson is on pace for 25 minors in Anaheim, 6(!) in Chicago.
Moen is on pace for 21 in minors in Anaheim, 8 in San Jose.
Montador is on pace for 38 minors in Anaheim, 25 in Boston.

There are a couple who don't fit: Brown drops from 33 in Vancouver to 15 here, Kunitz jumps from 24 to the low 30s, and Morrison has an incredible jump from 11 here to 34. But Brown by all accounts had a bit of a come-to-Jesus moment in being traded here, and seems to be just better overall. Kunitz I think is being used much more in a proactive intimidation/protective role in conjunction with Guerin on his line, and Morrison...**** Morrison.
Yeah the changes do kind of support a theory that Anaheim gets a little less leeway. Although it could also just be that Carlyle lets them play rougher and more toward the edge.

As to the anomalies: Brown I think is a result of a change in roles. He was a pest/grinder in Vancouver (expected to take penalties or at least play in a style likely to do so), and a checker here (needs to stay out of the box to mark his man). I agree with your Kunitz thoughts. Morrison was just too damn slow to catch up to anybody to do any kind of infraction to them.
Quote:
Anyway, what was I saying? Oh right. Penalties look like they might be the same, although I'm still hoping losing Pronger might put the stripes in a more friendly disposition. The Ducks were shorthanded 4th-most last season, which is bad, but even worse was the 23rd-ranked PK. I'm hoping that either a full season of Hiller or a bounceback season from Giguere can mitigate that. Even a modest 2% increase in PK efficiency, which would have placed us in the middle of the pack, shaves 8 goals off of our GA and could easily result in 2-3 more wins.

So, uh. Yay 4 Artyukhin.
If you go by the theory that the Ducks get less leeway than other teams, then the next logical step is that the current team is probably MORE of a liability than last year's team. Since a number of the inbound awesomeness have numbers completely due to other teams (Sbisa, Boynton, Artyukhin, Lupul, Koivu). So the Anaheim-effect would put us over the totals of the Dbags.

How's that for depressing?

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

vCash: 500
Hadn't thought of that. Shucky darns.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Dirk316

what a sad turn of events

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveSirRobin View Post
According to nhlpa.com, he's set to make $1,000,000 this season. This is also the last year of his contract.
His cap hit is $950k.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 12:02 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleak View Post
R2Ken (Reminds me of streetfighter!)

Old
08-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Bleak

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
SHORYUKEN!

Bleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 12:48 PM
bumperkisser

lol..

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:33 AM
caliamad

Perry + R2 have to be long lost twins, I hope and can't wait to see them out on the ice together. The level of jackass ness would be unstoppable.

Add getzalf and you'll have the most hated line in the league.

If only R2 can play some decent 5 on 5 hockey.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:40 AM
Nikko*

I think we can do well with a R2-March-Nokia checking line. That way we don't expect offense from R2, just a role where he skates hard on the backcheck and lays some skilled players out. Sounds well within his realm of skill. Just need to train him to be a shutdown player.

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Dirk316

Brown already does that

Brown/Carter/RT line would be pretty interesting though

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:22 PM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Wilson View Post
His cap hit is $950k.
I'm going to stop quoting nhlpa, they don't seem to ever have the correct (or up to date) contract numbers listed.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Nikko*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
Brown already does that

Brown/Carter/RT line would be pretty interesting though
Brown isn't as fast or 6'5" 254, is he.

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Talentless Practise*

I'd do a 3rd energy line of Brown-Marchant-R2. All those guys are really fast and would crealt a ot of trouble on the forecheck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveSirRobin View Post
I'm going to stop quoting nhlpa, they don't seem to ever have the correct (or up to date) contract numbers listed.
NHLPA has it right too but they list salaries, not cap hits. His salary is 1M, cap hit is 950k.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Tackleberry

Here is one TB fan's opinion/observations of Arty (R2):

Pros:
-Skates fast in a sprint. Skates OK (for his size).
-Hits anything that moves.
-Has a quick wrist shot

Cons:
-Does not battle well along the boards.
-Commits a penalty at the WORST time in the game.
-Not a point scorer. (16 pts in 73 games in 2008-09)
-Not a good fighter.

I liked R2 just for the hits. We also expected him to throw down the gloves. When he did, it was a dissapointment. In the 3 fights that I watched, he just hung on to the jersey while thowing just a few punches. I thought that the players he fought won because they landed many more punches. Also, dont think I would play him much on the 1st or 2d line.

When R2 came to the Lightning he was told to work on his Cons. He did not improve. Many TB fans were aprehensive about picking him up from Russia. He got his shot with TB and didnt work out. I will give him a small bye because of the Barry Melrose debacle. When you are coach your first 16 games by a sports announcer, I would not expect anyone to improve. But, under Tocchet, he should have improved a little.

For you fans in Anaheim, I wish you the best with R2. Someone needs to crack the whip on Arty and really improve his skills. I liked Arty, but he needs improvement. The biggest thing about R2 were his STUPID late game penalties that killed TB numerous times. He is rather undisciplined in that regard.

DUCKS FANS: What is the scoop on Miller?

Last edited by Tackleberry: 08-17-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: update
Tackleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 11:33 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
DUCKS FANS: What is the scoop on Miller?
All brains, no brawn.

Smart player. Pretty quick skater. Good positioning (defensively a little more than offensively), very good at getting his stick in lanes. These attributes make for a good PKer. Also seems to have some untapped offensive potential, he was a pretty good 2-way guy in both college and in the AHL. Gives good effort

Really weak. So while he is often in the right spot to battle for the puck, he just gets outmuscled in the battle. His older brother is similarly built, so I'm not sure he can bulk up. As such, he isn't such a good man-to-man defender. Which causes problems 5 on 5.

As is, he could become a decent finesse checker with a little more experience and a LOT of strengthening.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Tackleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
All brains, no brawn.

Smart player. Pretty quick skater. Good positioning (defensively a little more than offensively), very good at getting his stick in lanes. These attributes make for a good PKer. Also seems to have some untapped offensive potential, he was a pretty good 2-way guy in both college and in the AHL. Gives good effort

Really weak. So while he is often in the right spot to battle for the puck, he just gets outmuscled in the battle. His older brother is similarly built, so I'm not sure he can bulk up. As such, he isn't such a good man-to-man defender. Which causes problems 5 on 5.

As is, he could become a decent finesse checker with a little more experience and a LOT of strengthening.
Thanks for the reply.
The kid has only been in the NHL ?-2 years? Sounds like he needs conditioning and some expert tutilage. He is 6'2" and only 175. Wow, tall and skinny. I see your point. Sounds like he is work-able. Dont mind getting somone that is work-able. I wonder how he will be under Tocchet and Wilson?

Tackleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Talentless Practise*

The thing is, we've been expecting him to bulk up since drafting him and all that's materialized is a 5 pound weight increase.

I'm like that too. 6 foot 165 lbs. And it's not like i don't eat anything. Some of us just aren't built to be NFL linemen.. or even NHL players.

Oh, and most of the reviews i've seen from Ducks fans regarding Miller after the trade have been very kind compared to the abuse he sometimes got over here.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 02:55 PM
KeepItDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
Sounds like he needs conditioning and some expert tutilage.
We assure you, he got PLENTY of both of that under Randy Carlyle.

He needs to play in another system that doesn't require as much muscle and snarl as Carlyle's.

And really, that's what this trade is all about from our end.

KeepItDeep is offline   Reply With Quote