HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings' GM likes direction his team is headed - nhl.com's 30 in 30

Old
08-17-2009, 05:09 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Yah, I was thinking the same thing. He's not a Terry Murray clone but he's a good winger and he's proven time and again in his contract years he steps up. To be fair he might have been offered a deal and if I were in his shoes I'd rather play for the Rangers than the Kings in his scenario. He has a much better chance for success and recognition playing in Manhattan. With a big year he could hit the jackpot again next summer. Vinny also has ties to Tortorella. Signed a 4 year 14 million dollar deal with Tampa last summer and they bought him out after 1 year. Ouch.
Yeah I was thinking Torts was probably the main reason he went to NY right off the bat. As for the buyout - probably Tampa's dumbest move IMO. I see no reason for it and the buyout cap hit's going to haunt them for a while. I just don't get it.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 05:14 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Yeah I was thinking Torts was probably the main reason he went to NY right off the bat. As for the buyout - probably Tampa's dumbest move IMO. I see no reason for it and the buyout cap hit's going to haunt them for a while. I just don't get it.
I guess they thought that money was better spent on Mattias Ohlund. On NHL numbers it says the buy out for Prospal is 1.167 for 6 more years. So they paid him over 10 million for 1 sub par season. I gotta find a job like that.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 05:22 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I guess they thought that money was better spent on Mattias Ohlund. On NHL numbers it says the buy out for Prospal is 1.167 for 6 more years. So they paid him over 10 million for 1 sub par season. I gotta find a job like that.
I was thinking the exact same thing. That's a pay-me-my-money-while-I-sit-on-my-ass kinda job. Makes me wonder what kind of buyouts guys like Ovechkin must have in place. He could probably retire on that alone (assuming he invests well).

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 05:31 PM
smokes lets go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
You need some Swede sensitivity training, my friend
oh daneit

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loktionov View Post
And who else on the Kings roster won anything significant?
And who else deserves that kind of money on the Kings roster anyways? Here is your answer NOBODY. Not to mention Brown and Anze are at worst great 2nd line players.

And if you want to blame Lombardi for something, then it's his FA signings. Let's face it he sucks in the FA and while he overpaid for every single UFA, non of them really showed a damn thing.

Cloutier for 2 Mill $
Nagy at 3.75 Mill $
Calder at 2.7 Mill $
McCauley? Modry? Stuart? Blake? Preissing? Handzus at 4Mill after an difficult injury?

Green and Scuderi are making 3 Mill$ for 0 offense?!?
Stoll after sucking season got a raise to 3.6 Mill for what beeing a good faceoff man and a stupid penalty maschine?

try again...
I agree completey that nobody had won anything, and that's exactly why you just don't hand that kind of responsibilty over. His other choices were to make trades or let the players prove it on the ice. DL was pretty much ****ed the day he took over. I still have faith in him, but the reason the Kings have sucked for so long is because the previous regime didn't draft character players with winning experience.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
DL was pretty much ****ed the day he took over. I still have faith in him, but the reason the Kings have sucked for so long is because the previous regime didn't draft character players with winning experience.
I am sooo tired of this argument, because it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

3 full years after Dave Taylor and you're still whining that he left Lombardi with Kopitar, Cammi, Lubo, Garon, Brown, Demitra & Frolov. Take away those 7 players and I'd agree with you that DL was ****** the day he got here, but that's not what happened is it? DL has kept the best of the group, but to keep complaining about the "previous regime" is just weak trolling. No serious fan can still actually "blame" Taylor after 3 seasons, given the "talent" he brought here, and DL continues to build this team around.

I'm curious, how long does DT get the blame? Let's say the Kings do not make the playoffs this year or next (not a stretch of the imagination by any means) - do you still blame DT for 5 years of DL failure? I knew you would...

And DT "didn't draft character players with winning experience." So apparently, no one can win in the NHL unless they won in juniors. That's pure gold. That's right up there with "player ___x____ has a ring, so he would be great to have on the team."

Going into year 4, isn't it time to give DL the credit / blame for what happens with this team?

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
I am sooo tired of this argument, because it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
It makes perfect sense. Remind me of the last time the Kings made the playoffs? 2001-2002

Quote:
3 full years after Dave Taylor and you're still whining that he left Lombardi with Kopitar, Cammi, Lubo, Garon, Brown, Demitra & Frolov.
And where did that team finish in the standings? 10th place.

Quote:
Take away those 7 players and I'd agree with you that DL was ****** the day he got here, but that's not what happened is it? DL has kept the best of the group,
As He should
Quote:
but to keep complaining about the "previous regime" is just weak trolling. No serious fan can still actually "blame" Taylor after 3 seasons, given the "talent" he brought here, and DL continues to build this team around.
There is a difference between complaining and being realistic. DL inherited an aging 10th place team with shaky goaltending and a weak pipeline. The obvious choice is a rebuild.

You are completely forgetting how ****ed up the infrastructure of this team was. Kevin Gilmore was running Manchester, the prospects weren't developing properly and do remember Pete Demers and the insane number of injuries?

Quote:
I'm curious, how long does DT get the blame? Let's say the Kings do not make the playoffs this year or next (not a stretch of the imagination by any means) - do you still blame DT for 5 years of DL failure? I knew you would...

And DT "didn't draft character players with winning experience." So apparently, no one can win in the NHL unless they won in juniors. That's pure gold. That's right up there with "player ___x____ has a ring, so he would be great to have on the team."

Going into year 4, isn't it time to give DL the credit / blame for what happens with this team?

Here is the question? Do you feel better about this team than you do about the 1997-1998 team? Because they are pretty much in the same position

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000401998.html

I know I do

Last edited by Gentle Ben Kenobi: 08-18-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 01:25 PM
imissgretzky

Quote:
That's right up there with "player ___x____ has a ring, so he would be great to have on the team."
It certainly doesn't hurt to have players that have won before on your team. Who else is going to be able to show these guys what it takes to win a cup? We have had a losing culture for so long now that we absolutely need players with past glories on their resume to help guide the kids along.

Ask a player (in any sport) if having someone who played/coached on a championship team is important to have around, especially when the young players have only known losing. I bet that to a man they will say yes.

imissgretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
DL inherited an aging 10th place team with shaky goaltending and a weak pipeline. The obvious choice is a rebuild.
In 3 years of DL, he has come no where near 10th place - and he told us that Cloutier was "less shaky" than Garon (who had just finished 3rd in season wins in team HISTORY in his 1st season as an NHL starter), but I digress.

I agree a rebuild was needed, but in year 1 of DL, we were so much more in need of D than goalie, but, water... under... bridge.... Hey, I won't bring up Garon & D anymore if DT can stay off everyone's "this-is-why-the-Kings-STILL-suck" radar.

It just gets tiring that after 3 years of DL, that DT still gets drug thru the mud. It's old news and really not very accurate anymore.

Will summer never end?

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote