HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jackets UFAs remaining

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-13-2009, 10:05 PM
  #76
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes1 View Post
Filatov will be in the top 6. Maybe not the first few weeks, but I expect it by mid november. BTW, I dont think the poster was anymore eager on his impressions, than yours of "turnover machine", and "defensive liability" ? The guy has played 8 nhl games, and looked very good doing that. Had it not been for his contract, he would have played for the CBJ last year. Plus he did average a goal, every other game in his limited playing time last year.
There are many reasons why Filatov didn't remain on the jackets roster, and his contract was likely last on the list.

Like someone pointed out, he knows where to go to score goals, but that is about it. He had NO IDEA where to go and what to do without the puck. None. If you couldn't see that, then I am not sure what to tell you. There was a reason Hitch was playing him so few minutes and it wasn't because he 'doesn't like offense' like a lot of people like to perpetuate.

His awareness was nowhere near it needed to be either. Like I stated in a previous post, I have never been more afraid for hockey players safety than I was for his those few games he played.

Training camp, pre-season games and the start of league play will get him acquainted with the systems and where he is to be, but make no mistake: this will be a very different way to play than what he is used to and it will take time.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 07:23 AM
  #77
Double-Shift Lassé
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassé's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
True enough. There are also the jerks that use those adjectives.
Funny - nicely done.

Quote:
And yet some of us continue to think something different is going to happen because it's Nikki?
I'm in agreement regarding how Nii should/might/will be handled, lineup-wise. That is, with tender loving care. However, given the presunption he's ging to make the roster, and given the fact the team needs scoring, and given the fact that both presumed second-line wingers would be a better fit on a third line than Niki, and that coupled with the abundance of true (traditionally) fourth-line-type guys on the roster, I can see where some folks might guess/have an opinion/prefer he start out higher in the lineup. The position is far from delusional, even though I disagree with it.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassé is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:15 AM
  #78
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
and given the fact that both presumed second-line wingers would be a better fit on a third line than Niki, and that coupled with the abundance of true (traditionally) fourth-line-type guys on the roster,
Because Jake and RJ could "fit" on a 3rd line (traditional shut down line) we somehow think that we should pencil in an unproven kid into the top six? As I said, Brule and Zherdev taught us nothing.

We know Hitch isn't going to drop a kid into a posistion that he thinks he is not ready for in order to potentially score a few more goals. There is a reason we were a strong 5 on 5 team last year.

If Filatov had to play with Dorsett and <insert depth center here>, it would not damage the kid. And Filatov will still score. He will also be less likely to be put into a matchup he is not ready for.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:20 AM
  #79
LaCosta Nostra
Registered User
 
LaCosta Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
If Filatov had to play with Dorsett.
Might be a good idea to have someone like Dorsett watching his back.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:28 AM
  #80
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
We know Hitch isn't going to drop a kid into a posistion that he thinks he is not ready for in order to potentially score a few more goals. There is a reason we were a strong 5 on 5 team last year.

If Filatov had to play with Dorsett and <insert depth center here>, it would not damage the kid. And Filatov will still score. He will also be less likely to be put into a matchup he is not ready for.


At this point, we don't know what Hitch thinks Filatov is ready to do. For that matter, Hitch doesn't know, either. That's one of the things that's going to make camp so interesting, this year. I do share your confidence that HCH will put Niki in a position that best suits his level of development and that Filatov will still score.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:42 AM
  #81
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
At this point, we don't know what Hitch thinks Filatov is ready to do. For that matter, Hitch doesn't know, either.
Hitch already has a pretty good idea. Filatov was practicing with the team during the playoffs. What that idea is, I can only guess. But there is enough data to form a decent guess.

Even if he's "ready", he may still not play in the top six (likely IMHO). I'm sure that comment will thrill some people.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:55 AM
  #82
Double-Shift Lassé
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassé's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Because Jake and RJ could "fit" on a 3rd line (traditional shut down line) we somehow think that we should pencil in an unproven kid into the top six? As I said, Brule and Zherdev taught us nothing.

We know Hitch isn't going to drop a kid into a posistion that he thinks he is not ready for in order to potentially score a few more goals. There is a reason we were a strong 5 on 5 team last year.

If Filatov had to play with Dorsett and <insert depth center here>, it would not damage the kid. And Filatov will still score. He will also be less likely to be put into a matchup he is not ready for.
You (and I, I might add), think Niki is most likely to play on the forth line. Others think maybe he plays top six. I think both positions are pretty clearly stated, and both defensible. As pete said, despite whatever evidence we have, we don't know what Hitch is currently thinking, and we know even less what he might end up thinking once camp starts.

So I'll start a new discussion point on this -- what are we supposed to have "learned" from Zherdev? Didn't he pretty much produce right away? I don't think he was "rushed," and I certainly don't think how he was handled had/has anything to do with his career arc. That's all on the player. Brule? A different story.

So anyway, the Filatov debate =

Niki might play top six to help out with the scoring.

vs.

Doubtful. It doesn't seem likely he's ready for it.

Anyone want to cave?

Double-Shift Lassé is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:57 AM
  #83
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Jaxs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,151
vCash: 500
One thing that comes to mind when reading about everyones opinion on when and where Filatov should play, is what a nice problemto have. To have an untested player of Filatov's skill level waiting in the wings is unprecedented in the
CBJ's short existence.

When was the last time anyone could say that the top six on the CBJ was too crowded?

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 12:34 AM
  #84
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
I am not so convinced that Brule was 'ruined' by anyone/thing. The kid STILL can't crack a regular spot on another NHL roster. Methinks Maclean drafted the wrong player....again....

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 12:36 AM
  #85
5StringBuzz
Registered User
 
5StringBuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
I am not so convinced that Brule was 'ruined' by anyone/thing. The kid STILL can't crack a regular spot on another NHL roster. Methinks Maclean drafted the wrong player....again....
Over time, this ring more and more true to me.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 02:31 AM
  #86
punk_o_holic
 
punk_o_holic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: N. Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Japan
Posts: 6,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
I am not so convinced that Brule was 'ruined' by anyone/thing. The kid STILL can't crack a regular spot on another NHL roster. Methinks Maclean drafted the wrong player....again....
I'm also a Oilers fan so I follow them along with the Blue Jackets. Imo, he has a good shot of making the team this season. It's his position to lose. He better work hard because he just signed a 2 way contract so if the Oilers have to, they'll send him down. The position he has to lose is....get ready, 3rd and most likely 4th line Center spot. So even if he makes the team, he'ls playing on the bottom with limited minutes. Completly different then what he was suppose to be when drafted.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 06:38 AM
  #87
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?
 
Jovavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ClosedDoorMeeting
Country: Qatar
Posts: 10,785
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Without Torres' clutch goal scoring at the end of the season, I don't think we make the playoffs, in my mind that makes the trade/gamble already worth it for the Jackets, no matter what Brule ends up doing in the NHL.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 07:56 AM
  #88
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Without Torres' clutch goal scoring at the end of the season, I don't think we make the playoffs, in my mind that makes the trade/gamble already worth it for the Jackets, no matter what Brule ends up doing in the NHL.
I also loved this trade from the second I heard about it. Sure, it was frustrating to see Torres go through all those injuries, but regardless, he is a mean s.o.b. on the ice and has at least done a little.

I really don't think Brule will be more than a 4th line mucker. The kid has very little puck skills and I question his hockey sense as well.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 05:10 AM
  #89
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Servette Geneva wants to get Jiří Novotný.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:35 AM
  #90
FlaggerX
Registered User
 
FlaggerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Servette Geneva wants to get Jiří Novotný.
Good luck to Jiri then. I watched him during practice and he always produced when his job was on the line, not so much when he felt secure.

I think what we learned from Brule, Z, Brassard, Voracek and Russell is that confidence matters. Hockey is a split-second game and you can't make the moves that create chances for yourself and your teammates if you second guess. Second that hockey is very much a man's game, and young men like Filatov benefit from a maturing body. Sure Jake did pretty well last year, but he isn't what he will be and he really benefitted from that last year of juniors.

Filatov should play on the fourth line so he can be put into a position where he can succeed. We know Hitch will move him around as is appropriate. Let him keep his confidence and feel like he fits in. I'll talk about the top six later this year, or next summer.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:02 PM
  #91
Nordique
Registered User
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
You (and I, I might add), think Niki is most likely to play on the forth line. Others think maybe he plays top six. I think both positions are pretty clearly stated, and both defensible. As pete said, despite whatever evidence we have, we don't know what Hitch is currently thinking, and we know even less what he might end up thinking once camp starts.

So I'll start a new discussion point on this -- what are we supposed to have "learned" from Zherdev? Didn't he pretty much produce right away? I don't think he was "rushed," and I certainly don't think how he was handled had/has anything to do with his career arc. That's all on the player. Brule? A different story.

So anyway, the Filatov debate =

Niki might play top six to help out with the scoring.

vs.

Doubtful. It doesn't seem likely he's ready for it.

Anyone want to cave?
IMO he belongs on the 4th line(like Brassard and Voracek at the beginning of last season) for 10-20 games, then you re assess his progress, injuries to your top 6, etc. This approach worked last season, and I'd be quite shocked if Hitch deviates away from it and uses Filatov in his top 6 to start the season. He might even skate him with Chimera since that worked well initially for Jake and Brassard.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:45 PM
  #92
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
I am not so convinced that Brule was 'ruined' by anyone/thing. The kid STILL can't crack a regular spot on another NHL roster. Methinks Maclean drafted the wrong player....again....
"Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here (two seasons ago). Which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it! I don't like it anymore than you men."

Could it be we've (with few exceptions) had a decent organization all along and that we've only failed when XGMDM overruled them or wouldn't let them do their job?!?

P.S. Best movie quote that I've never heard at Nationwide also comes from that same movie. "Any man playing grabass or fightin' in the building spends a night in the box."


Last edited by leesmith: 08-17-2009 at 01:50 PM.
leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 06:24 PM
  #93
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Servette Geneva wants to get Jiří Novotný.
I heard Dan Fritsche too.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.