HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Neil Smith and Rangers exec Gorton-FLA GM job(Updated-Smith will be FLA GM)

Old
08-17-2009, 03:52 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Good for Neil. Florida will be for the better for it and I'll be rooting for them to succeed.

The man put together the only Cup winner that any of us have seen in their lifetime and we probably won't be seeing any for a while, so hats off to Mr. Smith.

I always wondered if he fell into universal disfavor because of his pre-emptive attack to acquire Sakic or whether there was something personal about his disappearance.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Fletch

Chosen...

I'm sure the league wasn't ecstatic about him "driving" up salaries (although there can be an argument made that he wasn't the only one, of course, just the highest profile). Further, it would be interesting to get a sense of what owners thought of his abilities to put together a team. I think many pundits would argue that he had the money to get who he had and did so for what ended up being one great run, and a couple smaller runs as he continued to replicate 1994 and ended up taking down the franchise with him. I commend him for doing what it took to get things done in 1994 - understanding that many will want to thank others, he was the person who had the final ssay - outside that moment, I'm just not a fan. Just hearing his voice used to make me cringe.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 04:28 PM
FLYLine24*

How close are Smith and Sather? It would be nice to have another team we have a very good relationship/trading partner with (like the Oilers/Lowe).

I know i've seen Smith at the Garden a few times over the past 2 years in a suit, so I assume he got invited to games. I'm not sure what he was doing for the past 2 years, I saw him on NHL on the Fly a few times though.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
How close are Smith and Sather? It would be nice to have another team we have a very good relationship/trading partner with (like the Oilers/Lowe).

I know i've seen Smith at the Garden a few times over the past 2 years in a suit, so I assume he got invited to games. I'm not sure what he was doing for the past 2 years, I saw him on NHL on the Fly a few times though.
He was a pro scout for Dallas and Anaheim. Being at MSG does not mean he was invited by NYR. He most likely was working.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 07:23 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
So glad he's back in the GM's chair. He definitely deserved another legit chance. Florida has been out of the playoff picture for so long now that it would be just huge for the franchise if Neil could get them into the postseason sooner rather than later. Plus he'll be working with a limited budget so his critics will get to see if the Garden's seemingly unlimited funds were the key to his success in NY rather than his team-building ability. To be honest, the amount of money he had to work with in NY and the expensive spending sprees it afforded him during the summers often hurt the team more than it helped. But you can't deny the Stanley Cup, the two Presidents' Trophies and three division titles.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 07:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post

I could be mistaken but didnt the Rangers and the Oilers make a few trades a couple years before 1994? If so then they must at least know eachother and respect one another.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 07:51 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
He was a pro scout for Dallas and Anaheim. Being at MSG does not mean he was invited by NYR. He most likely was working.
Ah, I did not know he was scouting.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 11:26 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Smith will not work well with Sather, I am rooting for Gordon there.
Luc Millbury (Mike's son, works for AHL Sound Tigers) called Smith "a terrible person". That doesn't disqualify Smith, but made me doubt that he was fired because of Wang's plan to suck for years.
I'm pretty sure the Islanders were still in "Let's Finish 8th and with DiPietro anything can happen!" mode when Smith was hired and fired in 2006.

The "long-term suckage and compiling top picks" plan only really came together (if such a "plan" exists) after the Isles lost Smyth and Snow got shut out in UFA in the summer of '07 IMHO... Part of the reason why the Isles still have so far to go...

Whatever the case... seems like Smith deserves another chance in more "sane" conditions (even Wang has realized that the "committee" idea was nuts). All the best to him.

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:41 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtown31 View Post
I'm pretty sure the Islanders were still in "Let's Finish 8th and with DiPietro anything can happen!" mode when Smith was hired and fired in 2006.
Hmmm... Nicely put the mode the Rangers are in now.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote