HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

pre-RBK Jofa gear/ first year RBK gear

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-17-2009, 07:04 PM
  #1
WWGRD10
Registered User
 
WWGRD10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
pre-RBK Jofa gear/ first year RBK gear

Any advice in the right direction would be very much appreciated...

I've been on the hunt for Jofa 5066 or 9177 elbow pads in size 5 from around '04/pre-RBK or the first year RBK 8K's from '06. I'm also hunting Jofa 9080 shinpads in 15" or first year 5K or 7K's. I've tried scouring eBay, craigslist, shopping listings on Google, local NJ pro shops, etc. I even talked to a friend who is an ex-pro equipment manager. No dice. Does anyone know of any local shops by them (probably Canada has a higher hit ratio) that might have the old school blue/white Jofa and first year RBK gear still around?

Thanks!

WWGRD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 10:01 PM
  #2
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,869
vCash: 500
Short answer is no. Long answer is that I think you can still get it in Europe, or at least the stuff there is branded as Jofa, and you can get it made for you if you are involved with a high level pro team.

Second, if you haven't already, you should try on some RBK stuff. A lot of the shins are pretty much the exact same, and they've made some nice improvements on aspects of them. Shoulder pads were the exact same for years, they recently made a few modifications to them, but good ones.

Basically, try on newer stuff. Would you expect to be able to find a new 2002 mustang at a car dealership? Pro shops are the same way. They clear out all the old stuff to make room for the new and improved gear.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 10:04 PM
  #3
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
I got those shinpads 17" though. Don't think you want them kind of smelly.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 11:25 PM
  #4
WWGRD10
Registered User
 
WWGRD10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Short answer is no. Long answer is that I think you can still get it in Europe, or at least the stuff there is branded as Jofa, and you can get it made for you if you are involved with a high level pro team.

Second, if you haven't already, you should try on some RBK stuff. A lot of the shins are pretty much the exact same, and they've made some nice improvements on aspects of them. Shoulder pads were the exact same for years, they recently made a few modifications to them, but good ones.

Basically, try on newer stuff. Would you expect to be able to find a new 2002 mustang at a car dealership? Pro shops are the same way. They clear out all the old stuff to make room for the new and improved gear.
I'm a bit of a rare bird in that regard... I like some of the RBK stuff. I have the '07-'08 4K shins which are of course based on the old Jofa platform. I had the 3K shoulders which were a thorough disappointment... two bulky in the shoulder caps. I love my new 8K KFS '09 shoulders... lots of mobility and a low profile. I feel where RBK has botched the line is in shins and elbow. The first year was JOFA w/ an RBK logo slapped on it. Now, there is no continuity as you make your way up the food chain from 3K to 8K on RBK products. It used to be better fit and articulation points as you went up the line. Now, the 8K are too bulky, and believe it or not fit worse than the 4s and 6s... the straps are actually cut to fit better on those. The 8K's barely strap across the inner elbow to the forearm guard.

I find that RBK made some great improvements to the Jofa line to a point, but you can't beat items like the old 8K elbows which are based on the Jofa 5066/9177 models (the one with the extended cuff on the forearm).

I hear you on the Mustang analogy. That's why I'm expanding my search to any input that other users would have. There is plenty of new, unused Jofa stuff on eBay, just not in my size. So that's why I'm hunting here. And one thing to remember w/ regard to RBK... as much as I love the brand, new doesn't always equate to improved. Kind of like those ugly '80s model Mustangs!

WWGRD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 02:53 AM
  #5
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,869
vCash: 500
Well, sorry I can't help you then. The only new Jofa stuff I've seen recently was a top end shoulder pad in a size small. Probably woulda fit me great, but I already had a pair I liked. Kinda regret not getting them now.


The other thing I thought of is that some of the guys on modsquad who used to use Jofa elbows found they liked the easton stuff in that regard. I don't know if that would work for you, but if you can't find the jofas I might give those a shot.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:14 PM
  #6
Nbr-17
Registered User
 
Nbr-17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Stouffville, ON
Country: Germany
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Dunno if that's what you're looking for:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=330351796832

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:49 PM
  #7
CuteHockeyBunny
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
I just looked over my gear and I think I have what you want. They're 5066 elbows but unsure of the size. I'll take pictures soon and you'll see.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:11 AM
  #8
WWGRD10
Registered User
 
WWGRD10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
I just looked over my gear and I think I have what you want. They're 5066 elbows but unsure of the size. I'll take pictures soon and you'll see.
Thanks much... I appreciate the help! I'll keep an eye out for the pics!

WWGRD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 08:14 AM
  #9
Little Walter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Ironically, I saw these a couple days ago at Play It Again Sports. Although I'm not a big fan of the store, they did have several pair. I saw some 6s and at least 1 pair of size 5s. I believe they were $42.99. If you want them, I could probably pick them up and send you a Paypal invoice. Are they really that good? I've only been playing a few years in a non-check novice league. So, I don't need the biggest, most-protective pads out. But the size 6s were a perfect fit. I'm still debating.

Little Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 04:54 PM
  #10
WWGRD10
Registered User
 
WWGRD10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Walter View Post
Ironically, I saw these a couple days ago at Play It Again Sports. Although I'm not a big fan of the store, they did have several pair. I saw some 6s and at least 1 pair of size 5s. I believe they were $42.99. If you want them, I could probably pick them up and send you a Paypal invoice. Are they really that good? I've only been playing a few years in a non-check novice league. So, I don't need the biggest, most-protective pads out. But the size 6s were a perfect fit. I'm still debating.
Little Walter... were they the 5066/9177's or the old RBK 8K's? And were they new or used?

I'm surprised there would be a bunch of them this many years later... talk about luck. That price is great and even if you're in a non-check league, it's worth it. It's the basic elbow pad, but with the extended cuff, so that really helps with someone inadvertently (or intentionally) slashing you over the exposed part of the wrist.

You said you saw a size 5? That would fit perfectly. Not to be a pain in the @$$, but if you have a camera phone and could snap off a pic or 2 if you're in the store, that would help greatly. Thanks!

WWGRD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 02:38 AM
  #11
WWGRD10
Registered User
 
WWGRD10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Big thanks to Little Walter for helping out in my search, and also welcome to the HFBoards!

WWGRD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.