HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Marleau stripped of the C: Let the rumours fly...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-18-2009, 09:01 AM
  #1
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Patrick Marleau stripped of the C: Let the rumours fly...

"As of now, nobody's our captain", says coach Todd McLennan.


http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:03 AM
  #2
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Why would they strip him of the C and then trade him? They might as well just trade him without stripping him of the C. It only lowers his value and makes people think he's available. If they wanted him to waive his NTC, they could have approached him without actually stripping him of the C.

My bet is that Marleau is a Shark next year. Boyle takes the C and Marleau enjoys a great season with less pressure on his shoulders.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:03 AM
  #3
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,427
vCash: 500
Thornton + Marleau for Halak

Modano lost his "C" last season and he's still with dallas

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:11 AM
  #4
The Nightman
Registered User
 
The Nightman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,885
vCash: 500
Hossa
Sundin
Lecavalier
Frolov
Marleau

what next?

The Nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:13 AM
  #5
RC51
Registered User
 
RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
If true then why would the habs want him? he must be no good at all or he is no longer any good as in " I am a rich guy now so I don't need to work hard anymore"

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:16 AM
  #6
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,048
vCash: 500
I don't like this Marleau craze (though it's nothing compared to the Sundin one). However...

I find it hard to keep a player in your team after you stripped him of his C. Maybe some other posters, more knowledgeable can point me to cases where the team took the C from a player who was captain for a while and kept him afterwards with success. There are probably cases but not many.

So it is a sign that Marleau might get traded. Habs or not ...remains to be seen.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:19 AM
  #7
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,515
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticEntity View Post
Why would they strip him of the C and then trade him? They might as well just trade him without stripping him of the C. It only lowers his value and makes people think he's available. If they wanted him to waive his NTC, they could have approached him without actually stripping him of the C.

My bet is that Marleau is a Shark next year. Boyle takes the C and Marleau enjoys a great season with less pressure on his shoulders.
This.

& Welcome to the board, CE.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:22 AM
  #8
Daice
Registered User
 
Daice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
If he gets stripped from capitancy in his team, do we really want him now??

it's just plain and stupid what they did IF indeed they want to trade him, it just lowers his valkue cause you say to yourself, hey this guy is no leader....

OR

maybe he doesnt want to wave his NTC and now that he has faced some sort of '''humiliation'' he will consider it more......


If he becomes a hab, we will have one of the best 2 first centers after pittsburg(crosby malkin), detroit(datsyuk Zetterberg), dallas (ribeiro richards, questionnable) and philly(richards carter)
Boston( savard, and the other guy) who did I forget?

Daice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:23 AM
  #9
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
This.

& Welcome to the board, CE.
Thanks I've been a lurker for a while.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:26 AM
  #10
The Nightman
Registered User
 
The Nightman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,885
vCash: 500
I don't want to trade for a player who we are not going to be able to resign at the end of the season

The Nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:28 AM
  #11
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticEntity View Post
Why would they strip him of the C and then trade him? They might as well just trade him without stripping him of the C. It only lowers his value and makes people think he's available. If they wanted him to waive his NTC, they could have approached him without actually stripping him of the C.

My bet is that Marleau is a Shark next year. Boyle takes the C and Marleau enjoys a great season with less pressure on his shoulders.
MAybe it's part of some pressure tactics. Maybe Marleau refuses to lift his NTC (happened before with others and California is a good place to live in) and they are trying to make him feel unwanted to the point where he accepts.

Pure speculation, I know....

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:29 AM
  #12
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,730
vCash: 500
Sounds like he nixed a deal or told them he would refuse one and now they're telling him he's no longer wanted there so he might as well leave. Not as bad as what TBay did with Boyle but along the same lines.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:39 AM
  #13
number 11
Registered User
 
number 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,897
vCash: 500
Marleau to Habs (E100000)

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:41 AM
  #14
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Sounds like he nixed a deal or told them he would refuse one and now they're telling him he's no longer wanted there so he might as well leave. Not as bad as what TBay did with Boyle but along the same lines.
The Sharks could have made it clear to Marleau that they didn't want him without taking it public. The whole point of making a public ordeal is to get everyone used to Marleau on the Sharks without the C.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:41 AM
  #15
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daice View Post
If he gets stripped from capitancy in his team, do we really want him now??

it's just plain and stupid what they did IF indeed they want to trade him, it just lowers his valkue cause you say to yourself, hey this guy is no leader....

OR

maybe he doesnt want to wave his NTC and now that he has faced some sort of '''humiliation'' he will consider it more......


If he becomes a hab, we will have one of the best 2 first centers after pittsburg(crosby malkin), detroit(datsyuk Zetterberg), dallas (ribeiro richards, questionnable) and philly(richards carter)
Boston( savard, and the other guy) who did I forget?
Getzlaf and Koivu

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:56 AM
  #16
PATCHESx67
Registered User
 
PATCHESx67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Island MTL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 500
Well the sharks did say on a live press conference that they were gonna make some big changes to the team and nothing happened so far.....soo who knows what they'll do

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:57 AM
  #17
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticEntity View Post
The Sharks could have made it clear to Marleau that they didn't want him without taking it public. The whole point of making a public ordeal is to get everyone used to Marleau on the Sharks without the C.
Maybe they tried privately that and it didn't work so they decided he didn't have the teams best interest in mind. If that's the case then it would be easy to justify stripping him of the "C" publicily to help push him away. I mean that's a BIG slap in the face to a guy like Marleau and differnet then when Modano was stripped as he was on the verge of retiring anyways until he pulled a Farve. It was even a big deal when Conroy gave up his "C" to give to Iggy.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:03 AM
  #18
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,474
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Come on season, get here and start so that the rumor mongers have something else to talk about.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:05 AM
  #19
Sanderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 4,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Maybe they tried privately that and it didn't work so they decided he didn't have the teams best interest in mind. If that's the case then it would be easy to justify stripping him of the "C" publicily to help push him away. I mean that's a BIG slap in the face to a guy like Marleau and differnet then when Modano was stripped as he was on the verge of retiring anyways until he pulled a Farve. It was even a big deal when Conroy gave up his "C" to give to Iggy.
There were reports some weeks ago how Wilson and Marleau discussed the future, that means every possibility, even him giving up the captaincy. Marleau said that he would do what is best for the team. If that's giving up the captaincy, he would do it. This isn't some sudden development.

If Marleau already said that he would do it, it isn't much of a punishment anymore, nor can it be used to put pressure on him to accept a trade. I'd say that this is more of an indication that he isn't going anywhere.

Joe Thornton was also stripped of his A for now, it doesn't mean much. The staff will evaluate who can lead the team the best, that's all. It could end with both remaining C and A, not that I think they will.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:18 AM
  #20
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
There were reports some weeks ago how Wilson and Marleau discussed the future, that means every possibility, even him giving up the captaincy. Marleau said that he would do what is best for the team. If that's giving up the captaincy, he would do it. This isn't some sudden development.

If Marleau already said that he would do it, it isn't much of a punishment anymore, nor can it be used to put pressure on him to accept a trade. I'd say that this is more of an indication that he isn't going anywhere.

Joe Thornton was also stripped of his A for now, it doesn't mean much. The staff will evaluate who can lead the team the best, that's all. It could end with both remaining C and A, not that I think they will.
The Sharks are a curious case because their leaders ARE Thornton and Marleau. These guys have always been the leaders and even if you strip them of their letters they'll still be key players.

-They've lost important veteran role players in Roenick and Grier.
-The only guy who I can see filling the void is Boyle.
-Blake is a solid player, but he would be providing the same kind of leadership as Thornton. Blake has never been an Yzerman type.
-Pavelski and Mitchell are still too green for a leadership position.

The problem is, if you want to trade Marleau, you also want to do it without hurting the team or its cap position since that's already bad enough. DW has done nothing all summer despite saying he would be holding players accountable and making big changes. It seems Wilson couldn't find the right move to make. Then came the news as you said about Marleau being willing to give up the C. Now this. This is why I don't think Marleau is going anywhere.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:45 AM
  #21
odishabs
Registered User
 
odishabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,956
vCash: 500
This is getting overblown. I would love to see a Gomer/Marleau combo. But to moe this is just a case of they failed in the playoffs with Marleau as their leader. Time to change the mood in the room

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:48 AM
  #22
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I don't think this comes as a surprise. Marleau knew it was comming, however I don't see how this improves his relationship with San Jose. I Do feel that this is the huge flare shot up in the air saying he will be traded before the season starts. WE need to free cap before we do so though.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:57 AM
  #23
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABbiest View Post
Hossa
Sundin
Lecavalier
Frolov
Marleau

what next?
Too many players. We need to bring the Maroons back in Montreal. Buy the Coyotes, rename them the Maroons, then we'll be able to get all those players...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:59 AM
  #24
JackieChan
Registered User
 
JackieChan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I don't think this comes as a surprise. Marleau knew it was comming, however I don't see how this improves his relationship with San Jose. I Do feel that this is the huge flare shot up in the air saying he will be traded before the season starts. WE need to free cap before we do so though.
Yep, and a maybe a way to provoke him to drop his ntc maybe. Which would be, if true, really shameful for the Sharks organization.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 01:32 PM
  #25
slamigo
Skate or Die!
 
slamigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,238
vCash: 500
Ah, you guys are blind. Isn't it obvious to everyone that they have promised the 'C' to Dominant Dany Heatley?
This must just be the precursor to the Heatley to SJ deal.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.