HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need help with skating lower

Old
08-18-2009, 08:52 AM
vyktor

vCash: 500
Need help with skating lower

I saw a video of myself skating and realized that I'm way too upright. besides the obvious of bend the knees and get lower, what do you do to train your body into the correct position?

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:56 AM
IniNew

Wall sits, and squats will help strengthen your legs. That way you'll be able to support your body weight with more knee bend.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

keep you back straight and bend your knees, dont lean forward too much

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 11:37 AM
blueberrydanish

I try and concentrate on keeping my legs very wide, helps me get lower to the ice bend the knees etc...

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Ragss

Maybe if you concentrate on taking longer strides you'll naturally crouch down a little bit.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 02:19 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyktor View Post
I saw a video of myself skating and realized that I'm way too upright. besides the obvious of bend the knees and get lower, what do you do to train your body into the correct position?
Is it that you don't get low enough, or that you physically can't get low enough?

If you can't get a proper ankle bend then you will fail in getting a proper knee bend. Check those laces.

Secondly, ensure that your leg muscles are strong, balanced, and flexible. This way you'll be able to get into that low position without too much fatigue or even pain.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 02:34 PM
vyktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Is it that you don't get low enough, or that you physically can't get low enough?

If you can't get a proper ankle bend then you will fail in getting a proper knee bend. Check those laces.

Secondly, ensure that your leg muscles are strong, balanced, and flexible. This way you'll be able to get into that low position without too much fatigue or even pain.
Right now it's that i don't get low enough, because until i saw the video i didn't realize how upright i skate. I'm physically capable of getting lower, I'm just accustomed to skating upright and looking for tips to encourage a better skating position, now that I'm aware of the problem.

I am working on leg strength.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 04:09 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Some people shorten their stick and make themselves keep it on the ice. Makes you keep your legs bent to get it down there in the right position.

Best thing you can do though is to just focus on it while practicing. Long strides, bend your knees.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 04:57 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Some people shorten their stick and make themselves keep it on the ice. Makes you keep your legs bent to get it down there in the right position.

Best thing you can do though is to just focus on it while practicing. Long strides, bend your knees.
Really? I figure that most people would just start stickhandling closer to their feet.

I'd recommend just making a conscious effort to get lower while skating. Practice it enough and it'll soon become second nature.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote