HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Marleau stripped of the C: Let the rumours fly...

Old
08-18-2009, 03:24 PM
THE HOFF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Yep, and a maybe a way to provoke him to drop his ntc maybe. Which would be, if true, really shameful for the Sharks organization.
same here. I can't see the purpose of ending marleau's captaincy right now ... it just seems obvious that the sharks are looking either at trading him or giving the captaincy to another player. In both cases, it opens the door to "justified" speculations ... well to a certain extend.

we can always contest/wonder about the credibility of rumours , the names and teams involved in them , but such actions taken by the sharks organization opens the door to speculations. What I fail to understand is ; why share this information with the media? why now?

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 04:09 PM
habs_24x

So Marleau and Thornton stripped of the C and A... are these the big changes the Sharks management had in mind? i just dont see any positives in these moves.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Marleau is gone IMO. Heatley will be a Sharks and I don't think Marleau will be a Sens so a 3rd team will have to come in the mix and I can see Bob trying to land Marleau here if the price is right

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticEntity View Post
Why would they strip him of the C and then trade him? They might as well just trade him without stripping him of the C. It only lowers his value and makes people think he's available. If they wanted him to waive his NTC, they could have approached him without actually stripping him of the C.

My bet is that Marleau is a Shark next year. Boyle takes the C and Marleau enjoys a great season with less pressure on his shoulders.
I agree. Still SJ will need to drop a salary. Blake? Cheechoo? Marleau? We'll see. I would love to get him in return of Hamrlik, but I doubt it happens since they would be stuck with Hamrlik for three seasons.

I will become more and more important for GMs to not overpay for a player. Hamrlik is with Gomez and Gionta in the overpaid category. Hopefully, they will bring their game back to a level where their salary is justified.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:08 PM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Marleau is gone IMO. Heatley will be a Sharks and I don't think Marleau will be a Sens so a 3rd team will have to come in the mix and I can see Bob trying to land Marleau here if the price is right
This. I think Ottawa would like at least a wing and a d-man, they already got their centers. So Marleau would not be part of this deal. Will he accepts staying in San Jose with no 'C' and no 'A' after all these years?

So if SJ send like Erhoff and maybe a second d-man, I suppose if they trade Marleau to Montreal they'll need to get a d-man in that trade.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Still do not want Marleau.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Still do not want Marleau.
Sooo.. a Gomez-Gionta, Marleau-Cammalleri combination doesn't sound appealing to you?

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Papa_Bear_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
Sooo.. a Gomez-Gionta, Marleau-Cammalleri combination doesn't sound appealing to you?
Well I guess on which Marleau shows up. I personally think he's insanely overrated (good player yes, but 1st line center, not by a long shot!)

Plus, does anyone think Marleau has any chance of resigning here after the season?

Papa_Bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:52 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Bob obviously forced the Sharks hand, saying I wont pay half the world for 1 Pending UFA next year.

Now the Sharks have taken that action, perhaps as a global around the league statement saying He's up for grabs. I think Bob can get him for a reasonable price now.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
For what we would probably have to give up in order to get 1 year of Marleau, no it doesn't.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:55 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post
(good player yes, but 1st line center, not by a long shot!)
Gomez would be the first line guy. Marleau would be the bigger (not huge) second line (& 2nd PP) center expected to score 50-60 points. That role would suit him just fine.

He isn't an immense upgrade over Plekanec though, so I'd hope Gainey wouldn't give too much up to get him.

Last edited by All-Star: 08-18-2009 at 06:03 PM.
All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:01 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post
Well I guess on which Marleau shows up. I personally think he's insanely overrated (good player yes, but 1st line center, not by a long shot!)

Plus, does anyone think Marleau has any chance of resigning here after the season?
I think there would be a chance of him staying and if not, then you have $6 million + whatever to throw at Frolov, Kovalchuk, Jokinen, Savard, whoever.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Gomez would be the first line guy. Marleau would be the bigger (not huge) second line (& 2nd PP) center expected to score 50-60 points. That role would suit him just fine.
2005-06 San Jose Sharks NHL 82 34 52 86
2006-07 San Jose Sharks NHL 77 32 46 78
2007-08 San Jose Sharks NHL 78 19 29 48
2008-09 San Jose Sharks NHL 76 38 33 71

Yeah I guess a second line role would be fine for him? PPG, PPG, bad season, almost PPG but near 40 goals. Sounds better than most recent centers we've had...

Old
08-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Kirk Muller

Montreal can't afford him unless you deal Hamrlik and well even though Hammer struggled some last year, that would be a gaping hole on defense without him.

14 Million on your top two centers whose production could easily be a combined 120 points is a scary proposition in my opinion.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:10 PM
odishabs

my dream lineup (realistically)

Kostitsyn - Marleau - Cammalleri
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Latendresse - Lapierre - Moen
Stewart - Chipchura - D'Agostini

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Montreal can't afford him unless you deal Hamrlik and well even though Hammer struggled some last year, that would be a gaping hole on defense without him.

14 Million on your top two centers whose production could easily be a combined 120 points is a scary proposition in my opinion.
Really?

Marleau >>>>>>>>> Plekanec.
Plekanec will never put up Marleau-type numbers.

Gomez >> Koivu
Simply because hes younger, faster, and can do the equivalent of what Koivu brings and more given the right wingers.

How you came up with 120 points is laughable. With talent like Cammy, Marleau, Gomez, Gionta and the elder Kostitsyn, its highly doubtful that they dont combine for 150 points. 4 potential 35 goal scorers with alot of speed = Win.

Old
08-18-2009, 06:14 PM
All-Star

Quote:
2005-06 San Jose Sharks NHL 82 34 52 86
2006-07 San Jose Sharks NHL 77 32 46 78
2007-08 San Jose Sharks NHL 78 19 29 48
2008-09 San Jose Sharks NHL 76 38 33 71

Yeah I guess a second line role would be fine for him? PPG, PPG, bad season, almost PPG but near 40 goals. Sounds better than most recent centers we've had...
Thornton is usually the Sharks' 1st center, so Marleau probably draws the lesser defencemen and line matchups. I would think the Habs would want to try and keep it that way. Would adding 10 points (60 - 70) to my statement above make you happy?

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Really?

Marleau >>>>>>>>> Plekanec.
Plekanec will never put up Marleau-type numbers.

Gomez >> Koivu
Simply because hes younger, faster, and can do the equivalent of what Koivu brings and more given the right wingers.

How you came up with 120 points is laughable. With talent like Cammy, Marleau, Gomez, Gionta and the elder Kostitsyn, its highly doubtful that they dont combine for 150 points. 4 potential 35 goal scorers with alot of speed = Win.
Gomez numbers could easily be around 50-60 points as could Marleaus.

Last time i checked, Montreal doesn't have a Joe Thornton he gets to ride shot gun with either. Also, if you combine last years totals they were 129 points. Its far from laughable considering Marleau especially is downgrading substantially and has rarely ever shown capable of actually leading a team himself.

Guys like Michalek, Thornton, Pavelski, and Setoguchi are easily, EASILY an upgrade to what Montreal offers.

Old
08-18-2009, 06:41 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABbiest View Post
Hossa
Sundin
Lecavalier
Frolov
Marleau

what next?
Kovalchuk

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Thornton is usually the Sharks' 1st center, so Marleau probably draws the lesser defencemen and line matchups. I would think the Habs would want to try and keep it that way. Would adding 10 points (60 - 70) to my statement above make you happy?
I thought he'd be our second line center as well, directly replacing the void Plekanec would leave us with. Therefore he'd draw the lesser defencemen just as he did in San Jose. Let Gomez/Gionta be the first line. With Cammy on his wing, I can't see how Marleau wouldnt find success.

Quote:
Gomez numbers could easily be around 50-60 points as could Marleaus.

Last time i checked, Montreal doesn't have a Joe Thornton he gets to ride shot gun with either. Also, if you combine last years totals they were 129 points. Its far from laughable considering Marleau especially is downgrading substantially and has rarely ever shown capable of actually leading a team himself.

Guys like Michalek, Thornton, Pavelski, and Setoguchi are easily, EASILY an upgrade to what Montreal offers.
We're not asking for Marleau to lead the team. Last year Gomez had a bad year, minor injuries which didn't heal, and a bad Rangers team. He still managed to almost lead the team in points. We've reunited him with a player hes known since he was 14, a hard-worker, and we have enough talented young forwards to compliment him on his other wing as well. If you don't think he gets more than 58 points next year, you're just being a negative-nancy. I can see him hitting 70 points next year, both, easily.

By the way, I take Cammalleri over most of the players you named, so why you say easily, I dont even know...

Old
08-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
I thought he'd be our second line center as well, directly replacing the void Plekanec would leave us with. Therefore he'd draw the lesser defencemen just as he did in San Jose. Let Gomez/Gionta be the first line. With Cammy on his wing, I can't see how Marleau wouldnt find success.

We're not asking for Marleau to lead the team. Last year Gomez had a bad year, minor injuries which didn't heal, and a bad Rangers team. He still managed to almost lead the team in points. We've reunited him with a player hes known since he was 14, a hard-worker, and we have enough talented young forwards to compliment him on his other wing as well. If you don't think he gets more than 58 points next year, you're just being a negative-nancy. I can see him hitting 70 points next year, both, easily.

By the way, I take Cammalleri over most of the players you named, so why you say easily, I dont even know...
rah rah all you want. I showed you why is very possible they could combine for 120 points. You don't want to except it and believe every player will once again have career years and Marleaus production wouldn't take a significant hit.

Oddly enough Marleau was only a 50-55 point player without Thornton.

So again, tell me how its laughable to combine for 120 as thats around where the numbers keep adding up and for 14 million thats a lot of money.

Old
08-18-2009, 07:02 PM
BLONG7

The Cap has to be the big issue guys...I just don't see Marleau to the Habs...too many things need to happen to make it work...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
rah rah all you want. I showed you why is very possible they could combine for 120 points. You don't want to except it and believe every player will once again have career years and Marleaus production wouldn't take a significant hit.

Oddly enough Marleau was only a 50-55 point player without Thornton.

So again, tell me how its laughable to combine for 120 as thats around where the numbers keep adding up and for 14 million thats a lot of money.
Very laughable. Rah rah all you want.

Old
08-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Very laughable. Rah rah all you want.
yet i proved it to you and you cant see it. Your reading comprehension and understanding is very laughable.

Old
08-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
yet i proved it to you and you cant see it. Your reading comprehension and understanding is very laughable.
Actually, you proved nothing. Marleau isn't being asked to take on a first line role, so your whole Thornton argument is off-base. If anything, what you did prove, was the little knowledge you have of San Jose's players when you mentioned Seto, Pavs and Michalek. You're just another pessimistic, misinformed, self-claimed realist who knows little to nothing and happens to be a Canadiens fan.