HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009-10 Avatar Theme: iPred

Old
08-16-2009, 10:36 PM
MemphisMTLfan

vCash: 500
Hey I'm really liking the ideas so far! Wish I could be of more assistance but..well...I'm actually pretty useless, carry on.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I agree, really great ideas.

It feels good posting on a board after the Predators board sank into he double hockey sticks!

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 09:45 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
I agree, really great ideas.

It feels good posting on a board after the Predators board sank into he double hockey sticks!
welcome, glad to have you!

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

OR we could just have a ....

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 05:30 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

So yeah, I'm not a Predators board person, but after making those suggestions earlier, I went ahead and tinkered with them myself.

All credit goes to worstfaceoffmanever for the initial iPod concept idea.

This first prototype uses Jon Blum and repeats the 2 frames over and over again in a variety of Predators related colors. First up are the main colors in yellow, navy, grey, and a textured effect silver. After that are 2 colors present on the logo but not officially team colors: a blue-grey and a kind of pale salmony-orange

second is the Predators' other noteworthy ex-Vancouver Giant prospect, Cody Franson, backed by the Milwaukee Admirals' blue (thought it might be a good alternate color for Admirals players/prospects). Since I saw no choice of song on the 1st page for Franson, I made an executive decision for this prototype to go with "Are You Ready" by AC/DC. No personal reason, just felt like a fitting title for Franson given that he's got to be close to the NHL by now.

the only difference between the first and second designs is that I moved up the text on teh first frame to be more centered. Primarily it's so that against teh silver the text isn't drowned out by the lighter areas near the bottom.

If you like the design I'm more than happy to forward the psd file to worstfaceoffmanever or any other Preds person with photoshop and teach them how to do the couple of effects necessary to make other players (they're not that hard).

Thanks for letting a Sharks fan kinda hang out in this thread and contribute. This board's at its best when every team has sweet avatars.

And at least be thankful that you have a manageable-sized community to be able to do this fairly easily. The Sharks board has gotten so nuts in the last couple years that I've had to institute a draft system to dole out over 120 avatars to the people that want them.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 08-18-2009 at 05:14 PM.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 11:23 PM
MemphisMTLfan

The Nemesis, they're so beautiful!

Thank you for taking out the time to make those!

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think we are going to need a Weber, Suter, and Sullivan's whipped up. I know we have a lot of fans of all three. We probably should come up with a theme for Arnott as well.

08-18-2009, 08:23 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Not bad at all. Though if they continue to have a cluster**** with the Np.com boards you might have a few more customers.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:26 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
If you like the design I'm more than happy to forward the psd file to worstfaceoffmanever or any other Preds person with photoshop and teach them how to do the couple of effects necessary to make other players (they're not that hard).
:
Do PSD files work with GIMP as well?

Old
08-18-2009, 09:04 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think we are going to need a Weber, Suter, and Sullivan's whipped up. I know we have a lot of fans of all three. We probably should come up with a theme for Arnott as well.
I'd say add Rinne.

Old
08-18-2009, 11:38 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

worstfaceoffman is going to be taking my files to be able to do more players. I'm just waiting to hear back on how to send them.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
08-18-2009, 12:24 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Part of me wants to see reverse versions of it. Like Detroit Red Wings: Bertuzzi "Sympathy for the Devil"

Old
08-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Any chance to get the eye in the silhouette of the Predator logo? I appreciate all of the work being put into these, they are looking great!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 01:14 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Any chance to get the eye in the silhouette of the Predator logo? I appreciate all of the work being put into these, they are looking great!
I think I can do that, yeah.

and once I've figured it out I'll post the files in this thread. even though I've mostly been working with wfo on this, it's probably good to have multiple people working so that the burden doesn't fall to one person. I can keep helping out too, although my first priority is to continue working on the Sharks avatars as we're only about halfway through our draft.

EDIT: After playing with it, the eye doesn't really work. With the logo that small, the uncovering the eye just makes it kind of look like a blue smudge

Last edited by The Nemesis: 08-18-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old
08-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
I think I can do that, yeah.

and once I've figured it out I'll post the files in this thread. even though I've mostly been working with wfo on this, it's probably good to have multiple people working so that the burden doesn't fall to one person. I can keep helping out too, although my first priority is to continue working on the Sharks avatars as we're only about halfway through our draft.

EDIT: After playing with it, the eye doesn't really work. With the logo that small, the uncovering the eye just makes it kind of look like a blue smudge
Thanks for trying it out. I can visualize the "smudge" with your description. I appreciate the effort.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Ok here are the two psd files.

iPred is the avatar file.

How-To is the explanation of how to do the silhouette effect. There's also a little bit at teh beginning that explains how I've set up the folders in the avatar file so that it makes things stay fairly orderly and easy to work with. Each layer in teh file is a couple of steps in the process. Just turn off each layer to see the next one with teh next steps

In the file are also the pieces from the Blum prototype I used for color testing, the Franson one, a Rinne reject that I made while doing the how-to (it's a terrible pic once it's a silhouette) and one more that I will post in a minute.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 04-10-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old
08-18-2009, 02:21 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Not worstfaceoff's suggested song, but I tweaked it after I found this great pic.

Also, I've found that AC/DC and Johnny Cash have tons of song names that should work great for player association

Last edited by The Nemesis: 08-18-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old
08-18-2009, 05:10 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

One more from me right now.

I might do some more later this afternoon while I'm watching the Blue Jays game

Your reigning Masterton winner, Steve Sullivan (silver background)

I don't want to be doing too much of this because a) I shouldn't take away from the Preds board regulars who want to contribute and b) practice makes perfect for those that haven't made anything yet. Still, I'll help out where I can.

Old
08-18-2009, 07:42 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Hokai, so.

Based on some pointers from Nemesis, whose avatar draft on the Sharks board served as the inspiration for this thread, I have crafted my first usable avatar: Ryan Suter.

I'll be spearheading the line with Ryan, but I hope to have the full line up and running by the end of the week, and I'll post them all at once and we'll have a free-for-all for them.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:07 PM
PredsChik

nice.

so does each team come up with a theme to unify them? The new boards suck so I might start posting here.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:23 PM
cjerina

Well, I needed a change of pace, so I tried my hand on one for starters... C&C welcome.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:26 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
Well, I needed a change of pace, so I tried my hand on one for starters... C&C welcome.

the one thing I'll note is that jpegs are terrible for avatars. They tend to blur and go jaggy on small images. gif is the best bet for avatars, especially ones that have as few colors as this design (the # of colors that can be displayed is the big drawback for gifs)

Old
08-18-2009, 08:26 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
nice.

so does each team come up with a theme to unify them? The new boards suck so I might start posting here.
The old boards weren't very good either...you'll like it much better here

There's no real "tradition" about team avatars...at least until the playoffs, we just kind of figured that this would make our presence "pop" a bit on these boards, since our numbers aren't that great as compared to a lot of other teams...even...CBus...

Old
08-18-2009, 08:29 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
It varies from team to team, but most do. For example I'm using the current Sharks board set, based off of a Jaws movie poster

Old
08-18-2009, 08:35 PM
cjerina

Quote:
the one thing I'll note is that jpegs are terrible for avatars. They tend to blur and go jaggy on small images. gif is the best bet for avatars, especially ones that have as few colors as this design (the # of colors that can be displayed is the big drawback for gifs)
Nem, thanks for the info... eventually I'll convert it to an animated GIF, but I'll work on that later. (Plus for some reason, my hosting automatically upsizes to 150x150, which affects the quality a ton)

edit: here's another (and one I'd like to use, as Mark will probably be the emergency call-up goalie)

Last edited by cjerina: 08-18-2009 at 08:43 PM.
cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote