HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phoenix-Boston (Kessel)

Old
08-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Taz#24

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Taz#24
Nice deal IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
To Phoenix: Phil Kessel

To Boston: Keith Yandle, Jared Staal, Cgy 1st Rd in 2010

Admittedly, Boston may be better off finding ways to keep Kessel on staff and move someone else. But as it gets closer to the start of the season, if this offer was still on the table on Oct 1st, is the value close enough to consider it.

Phoenix is in a full build (not a rebuild). On the other hand, this season is an important one, and they need to look like they have a legitimate chance of being perennial contenders moving forward and I think Kessel would fit well with other pieces of that plan. Additionally, they have the cap and salary space to offer Kessel in the $4 to $4.5/year range without endangering their ability to re-sign players like Mueller or Hanzal. They also have defensive depth to attempt to replace Yandle from within, or could try to replace him through free agency or trade.

On the other hand, Yandle would be very difficult to lose, especially at this stage of his development. But you have to give to get. Staal is a wing project prospect and the Calgary 1st will be no better than middle of the pack.

Flame away.
It works and I think the value coming/going is about right.

Taz#24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Kaibur

I generally think offer sheeting is a pretty ***holish thing to do. But if Don Maloney were to try offer sheeting Kessel just to see what would happen, I really wouldn't think less of him for one reason and one reason only: Blake Wheeler.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:27 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Tough, tough call. I'd be worried that Kessel might not be too into being a Phoenix Coyote. His buddy Blake Wheeler sure did **** us right over. Plus, we don't have any Savards, Krejcis, or Bergerons.

I'm not sure either. One thing about Kessel though that might work in the favor of a team like the Yotes is he's not overly comfortable with the media. I think he was sometimes misunderstood for being an S.O.B. and cocky, but it's more now that he's actually a pretty shy dude and not a great interview. I don't know him...none of us do...but I'm not so sure that he would be averse to playing out of the media spotlight and letting his play speak for itself. One thing that seems pretty clear based on their outward personalities is that Wheeler and Kessel are two pretty different dudes in terms of their personalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
I know I'll get flamed and I'm not necessarily speaking in value terms, but I don't see Chiarelli making this deal unless Mueller or at least Hanzal and the PHX 1st are involved. I think Chia thinks he's solved the transitional defense issue for now, and Yandle will not be the centerpiece to a Kessel deal unless/until he is convinced that he is a major upgrade on Hunwick.
Again, I'm not saying he isn't a major upgrade, but it still remains to been at the NHL level.

I don't think you'll get flamed for this at all. I will say that Yandle is probably a bit better defensively and bigger than you might think. He's a decent transition defenseman, but he's actually turning into a very good two-way defenseman as well.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:28 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I generally think offer sheeting is a pretty ***holish thing to do. But if Don Maloney were to try offer sheeting Kessel just to see what would happen, I really wouldn't think less of him for one reason and one reason only: Blake Wheeler.
Yeah, but you can't really blame Boston for Wheeler. I hate the puke, but it's even tough to blame him. Look at the Bruins. Now, look at us. I'll boo the **** out of him, but I'm not about to bring any extra batteries to the game, if you know what I mean.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I agree with you, but I'm not sure it has to be a huge blockbuster Phil Kessel type of deal.

Perhaps we'll see something more along the lines of Hanzal's role expanded on the top line, and a replacement for Hanzal on that third line, added somehow. Signing Dom Moore or Manny Malhotra, for example. Maybe trading for Craig Conroy or Matt Stajan, or somebody. Something small and boring like that.
I agree that shooting for the moon may not be the best strategy, and although losing Yandle would hurt, I don't think it severely hampers the team's long term plans, while adding Phil Kessel. But say expanding Hanzal's role, seeing if his junior offensive skills can be found at the NHL level while maintaining his defensive prowess and obtaining someone to take his place is the more reasonable option. Where does that leave Mueller? We don't obtain the motivating playmaker for him, nor does he move to his natural center position. Giving Hanzal a shot seems like a good idea, I just think waiting until after Lombardi's contract might be more doable.

Concerning adding Andrew Ferrence and Brett MacLean, I think the Yotes will be looking for someone more offensive minded to replace Yandle on the backend, and maybe a right handed shot if they're thinking longer term. Though the value is certainly right there.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:49 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I agree that shooting for the moon may not be the best strategy, and although losing Yandle would hurt, I don't think it severely hampers the team's long term plans, while adding Phil Kessel. But say expanding Hanzal's role, seeing if his junior offensive skills can be found at the NHL level while maintaining his defensive prowess and obtaining someone to take his place is the more reasonable option. Where does that leave Mueller? We don't obtain the motivating playmaker for him, nor does he move to his natural center position. Giving Hanzal a shot seems like a good idea, I just think waiting until after Lombardi's contract might be more doable.
Personally, I prefer Mueller on the wing, and I think Hanzal has some very good playmaking ability. To this point, he hasn't really had the linemates to utilize it. Perhaps Hanzal and Mueller together, might be able to help one another take their games to the next level. Hanzal will have someone to dish the puck to and Mueller will have someone to dish him the puck. Maybe put a guy like Vrbata, who can pass and shoot, and who had some chemistry with Hanzal in the past, on the line, too.

Something like...

Upshall-Lombardi-Doan
Mueller-Hanzal-Vrbata
Prucha-NEW GUY-Boedker
Korpikoski-Fiddler-Tikhonov
GOON

Doan and Lombardi had good chemistry with Team Canada, and we all know about how well Lombardi and Upshall worked together. Prucha is a good shooter and Boedker is a good passer. Maybe pick up a guy like Mike Comrie or Robert Lang who can do both. Or if we want more of a two-way guy, maybe Dom Moore, or somebody. Also, I think Tikhonov might have a shot at unseating Prucha, there.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:58 PM
skr0oface

The Bergereon to PHX deal interests me. Makes sense from both parties.

Kessel I'm not really interested in, and as has been mentioned, Boston isn't necessarily looking to get rid of The Thrill, just make room for his contract.

skr0oface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Kessel would have to be willing to sign with Phoenix to make it happen.

Just saying... personally I don't see an issue with Phoenix, but with Phil Kessel being BFF's with Wheeler that may not be the case.

It would be ironic though. A Kessel/Wheeler combo to the Yotes would have a high humor value.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote