HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier named Special Assistant ...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-18-2009, 07:29 AM
  #76
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
He should have done other things in hockey after his retirement, to set himself up, prior to being given this appointment. A scout, an assitant coach in the minors, an Assit. GM with some other team, ect. He can learn on the job, but that doesn't mean he's the right man for the job.
This appointment is the other things. Did any of other ex-players now working for NHL management teams do something else before their current posts? People have different expectations and place certain demands on Messier. Steve Yzerman,Al MacInnis,Joe Nieuwendyk,Cam Neeley and Ron Francis. Messier has the same job description as those guys. Yzerman is somehow responsible for running the Canadian Olympic team. Where are his credentials? He is the third wheel in Detroit after Holland and Nill.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:04 AM
  #77
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Hull wasn't drafted by Dallas, MaCinnis wasn't drafted by St. Louis, Neely wasn't drafted by Boston. What's your point? Should those organizations be ashamed for having "mercenaries" being groomed to run the show? And how is Messier a mercenary? He played just as many seasons with NY as he did Edmonton. I don't think you understand what a mercenary is. Maybe we just have different definitions. A mercenary is a player who plays for the team for either 2 seasons or shorter to help the team win the cup and they'll either a)retire, or b)sign with their former team in the off-season. IE Ray Bourque. And how was it paid for? If you were such a big fan since the 60's you would know that almost all of their moves were trades. Just about any team in the NHL could've made those trades.

All the players you mentioned played the better part of their productive careers or won a Cup with the team they joined in the front office. So to get back to my original point.... (remember that?) YOUR Captain fantastic should have gone to work in Edmonton. I was reponding to a post about the Nuck fans love fest for all things Linden. You, unsurprisingly, decided to weave your own thread out of different tangents in the discussion.

To me a mercenary is a player that talks the team talk but chases the Benjamins. YOUR beloved Captain played the prime chunk of his career in Edmonton (see 5 Cups) and was promptly hand-delivered, as were a good part of his Oiler teammates, to the Rangers by YOUR illustrious GM for Life. I have a conspiracy that he sold his soul to the Dolans for lifetime employment. Irony alert - By your definition Lowe, Anderson, Tikk were mercenaries.

If you love him, good for you. I see him as contributor to our 2nd Cup in 70 years and undeserving of his demigod status in New York and undeserved position in the front office. No more, no less. And no, i accept that he is one of the best all-time players ever. I'm sure there are players you don't like for one reason or another. I'll take a guees.....hmmmmmm....Zherdev?


Last edited by HoosierDaddy: 08-18-2009 at 08:10 AM.
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:23 AM
  #78
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
The Ranger teams during Messier's 2nd tour were train wrecks, which had a hell of a lot more to do with the organization's bad drafting, development, personel moves (UFA signings) and coaching than with Mess as the team captain. When the Space Shuttle blew up - was it the pilot's fault - or the moron that designed the O-rings?

Like someone said - as long as Messier is willing to bust his ass and learn the necessary skills - it's worth giving him a shot. If he's expecting to pull a Brett Hull - it's going to be a disaster for the Rangers. I don't see why it's a bad idea to give him a chance.
Damn, that's not a bad gig at all. Get ALL the credit when you win and NONE when you lose. But to use your Shuttle analogy, the real heroes at the SS program are the army of engineers and grunts that prepare for the mision. I can Captain a rollercoaster, heh, heh.

Had he not returned for a 2nd term he wouldn't annoy me so much. That he thinks he can just point at position at the top and say he wants it is annoying. That his demigod status actually convinces people he's qualified to be a GM after sitting on the beach since his retirement is really annoying. Most of his peers started working on their next phase at lower levels immediately after retirment. Granted, there's no reason that with his stature he shouldn't have a little leverage. I just wish it had been Edmonton.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:33 AM
  #79
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
You've made some great posts in this thread, including one I quoted in a similar thread on the Oilers' board.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=672784&page=2

I think my posts there would answer your queIstion, so I'm going to quote them here
Asher - yours are solid posts as well. Honest and unemotional. Some have a problem if others do not goose step mindlessly behind them while they blast Wagner. A slight disagreement and you're fair game. If he really identified with the Rangers more I'd love it, and could prolly change how I perceive him. But at this point he's about him. If he were really about winning, he'd identify more with the Oilers where he helped win 5 Cups.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:05 PM
  #80
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Messier is taking the Rangers job for a year to see how he likes it, and whether the organization likes him.

"Hopefully I can add some value," said Messier.

Does he want to be an NHL GM some day?

"Hard to say. I'm not sure. This year will give me a solid look into a lot of different areas of the business and with that it'll give me good chance to see what parts I like. I'm saddling up with Glen and I'm there to do whatever he wants me to do," he said.
http://www.faceoff.com/story.html?id...opstories.atom

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 07:56 AM
  #81
TKG
Registered Excuser
 
TKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
You are right, I suck at math. You don't see these threads because he's done nothing in hockey since retiring. That's what happens when you go fishing instead of learning a new skill. The last I looked the thread wasn't billed a "Love-in" so I assumed it's ok to gasp in horror at this development.

I couldn't be bothered to look up his tearful retirement because, well... I couldn't be bothered. He's the poster child for the "leadership" tag and how overrated it is. You'd think he was on the ice alone when we won the Cup. At least he could play. It's ok if you want to be a fan-boy. But that doesn't mean we all have to follow your lead.

I'm still sore about him behaving like a mercenary, which people forgive and forget, but I choose not to forgive him for that. That's my choice. Let him go apprentice in Edmonton or Vancouver.

Yep.... because guaranteeing a victory and almost singlehandedly providing a HUGE victory to get you to the Cup Finals is vastly overrated.......Name another Ranger that has done it since 94......

When Mark left in '97 our team was slowly on the decline anyhow, we are out of the dark ages now.

How long have you been a Ranger fan for? I respect the fact that you don't want to forgive the guy because he chased money, but MSG's management especially Checketts had a ton to do with chasing Mark out of NY. I'm sure you bashed them enough though......

Bottom line is Mark Messier as a player was the best thing to happen to the Rangers in either of our lifetimes (so far), and if he wants to apprentice here so be it, he should be allowed to just like Yzerman and a few others are.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 08:28 AM
  #82
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 26,841
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden Fithful View Post
Yep.... because guaranteeing a victory and almost singlehandedly providing a HUGE victory to get you to the Cup Finals is vastly overrated.......Name another Ranger that has done it since 94......

When Mark left in '97 our team was slowly on the decline anyhow, we are out of the dark ages now.

How long have you been a Ranger fan for? I respect the fact that you don't want to forgive the guy because he chased money, but MSG's management especially Checketts had a ton to do with chasing Mark out of NY. I'm sure you bashed them enough though......

Bottom line is Mark Messier as a player was the best thing to happen to the Rangers in either of our lifetimes (so far), and if he wants to apprentice here so be it, he should be allowed to just like Yzerman and a few others are.
Paul Mara guranteed we'd win against philly to clinch the playoffs does that count

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 08:31 AM
  #83
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden Fithful View Post
Yep.... because guaranteeing a victory and almost singlehandedly providing a HUGE victory to get you to the Cup Finals is vastly overrated.......Name another Ranger that has done it since 94......

When Mark left in '97 our team was slowly on the decline anyhow, we are out of the dark ages now.

How long have you been a Ranger fan for? I respect the fact that you don't want to forgive the guy because he chased money, but MSG's management especially Checketts had a ton to do with chasing Mark out of NY. I'm sure you bashed them enough though......

Bottom line is Mark Messier as a player was the best thing to happen to the Rangers in either of our lifetimes (so far), and if he wants to apprentice here so be it, he should be allowed to just like Yzerman and a few others are.
Forgetting about his working here now for a sec, I'd just like to opine that to me, the best things that have happened to the Rangers in my lifetime (player impact wise) are:
  1. Park
  2. Leetch
  3. Messier
  4. Lundqvist

Could we have won without Messier? Of course not, but never forget that Leetch was the more important and more valuable player in that Cup victory. There is a reason he won the Playoffs MVP trophy over Messier.

We all thank Messier for his contributions while here but a franchise shouldn't have to bow at that player's feet forever and because the Rangers have done that for years afterwards, the franchise was irreparably damaged. Not his fault but it scarred this team badly for a very long time.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 10:23 AM
  #84
TKG
Registered Excuser
 
TKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Forgetting about his working here now for a sec, I'd just like to opine that to me, the best things that have happened to the Rangers in my lifetime (player impact wise) are:
  1. Park
  2. Leetch
  3. Messier
  4. Lundqvist

Could we have won without Messier? Of course not, but never forget that Leetch was the more important and more valuable player in that Cup victory. There is a reason he won the Playoffs MVP trophy over Messier.

We all thank Messier for his contributions while here but a franchise shouldn't have to bow at that player's feet forever and because the Rangers have done that for years afterwards, the franchise was irreparably damaged. Not his fault but it scarred this team badly for a very long time.

QFT, the organization shouldn't have to bow at his feet, but then again what is not to be expected since his hand was HUGE in winning the only modern-day Cup??????(see Game 6 against NJ) I'm also not being a "fan-boy" here but Messier's performance that night after guaranteeing victory, might be the best playoff performance I have ever seen.
(I was 12 at the time)

Without that Leetch although very very deserving wouldn't have been the Playoff MVP.

Outside of Graves and Messier, the other Oilers were merceneries hired guns whatever you want to call them, Messier as mentioned earlier played the same amount of years in NY and EDM. The 94 cup holds a special place in his heart, maybe b/c he won it on his own without Gretz or maybe he truly loves NY.

To Hoosier, by the way the Baffoon from Banf-f-f, wasnt in NY in 94 that was Neil Smith....

Back to what the thread was for, Messier wants to see if GM is an avenue he wants to pursue I see nothing wrong with letting him learn the ropes of being a GM, my problem is he's learning from Sather..... I think it's ok for him to be afforded the oppurtunity we don't know if he will be great or if he will horrendous... Hell, he doesnt even know if he wants to GM.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 10:32 AM
  #85
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Forgetting about his working here now for a sec, I'd just like to opine that to me, the best things that have happened to the Rangers in my lifetime (player impact wise) are:
  1. Park
  2. Leetch
  3. Messier
  4. Lundqvist

Could we have won without Messier? Of course not, but never forget that Leetch was the more important and more valuable player in that Cup victory. There is a reason he won the Playoffs MVP trophy over Messier.

We all thank Messier for his contributions while here but a franchise shouldn't have to bow at that player's feet forever and because the Rangers have done that for years afterwards, the franchise was irreparably damaged. Not his fault but it scarred this team badly for a very long time.
Messier's presence helped out Leetch tremendously. With Messier around to shoulder other loads, Leetch could do what he did best, which was go out and play. Brian Leetch was an extraordinary hockey player, but he possessed a timid personality and was not an off-ice leader by any means.

The mere mention of Messier's name garners admiration and respect in the hockey world to this day...dont know how thats a bad thing to have in the front office. The people that are bashing Messier are either morbidly bitter and/or are too young to remember how truly great he was in the early-mid 90s.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 11:40 AM
  #86
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Messier's presence helped out Leetch tremendously. With Messier around to shoulder other loads, Leetch could do what he did best, which was go out and play. Brian Leetch was an extraordinary hockey player, but he possessed a timid personality and was not an off-ice leader by any means.

The mere mention of Messier's name garners admiration and respect in the hockey world to this day...dont know how thats a bad thing to have in the front office. The people that are bashing Messier are either morbidly bitter and/or are too young to remember how truly great he was in the early-mid 90s.
I'm not denigrating Messier's contribution but no matter how you slice it, Leetch was the more important player on the ice in 94. If you want to cite Messier's off-ice contribution, that's fine but it is hard to grade intangibles like that. I have a similar problem with the retirement of Graves' jersey because of these cited intangibles.

As to Messier being admired and respected universally, I take that with a grain of salt, because Sather is still thought by many to be some sort of hockey icon despite his horrible failings. This is not a slap at Messier. It's a slap at reputations and perceptions.

Your opinion about "bashing" Messier is just factually untrue. First of all, he is not being bashed except by perhaps one poster and that is a questionable at best. I am neither bitter nor too young to have seen him in his glory so I certainly don't fit into your nicely defined little box.

I just think that post 94, the Rangers involvement with him has been nothing short of toxic.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:30 PM
  #87
ish
Registered User
 
ish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
You are right, I suck at math. You don't see these threads because he's done nothing in hockey since retiring. That's what happens when you go fishing instead of learning a new skill. The last I looked the thread wasn't billed a "Love-in" so I assumed it's ok to gasp in horror at this development.

I couldn't be bothered to look up his tearful retirement because, well... I couldn't be bothered. He's the poster child for the "leadership" tag and how overrated it is. You'd think he was on the ice alone when we won the Cup. At least he could play. It's ok if you want to be a fan-boy. But that doesn't mean we all have to follow your lead.

I'm still sore about him behaving like a mercenary, which people forgive and forget, but I choose not to forgive him for that. That's my choice. Let him go apprentice in Edmonton or Vancouver.
I'm totally with you. As grateful as I am for what Mess did in his first tour with us, I'm just an angry and hurt for the way he conducted himself in his second term as a Ranger. Way too many people gave and continue to give him a free pass for all the negatives.

ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:35 PM
  #88
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ish View Post
I'm totally with you. As grateful as I am for what Mess did in his first tour with us, I'm just an angry and hurt for the way he conducted himself in his second term as a Ranger. Way too many people gave and continue to give him a free pass for all the negatives.
Id like to hear some of the travesties that Mark committed during his second tenure here (other than coming back to a franchise that was in utter freefall).

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:52 PM
  #89
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden Fithful View Post
Yep.... because guaranteeing a victory and almost singlehandedly providing a HUGE victory to get you to the Cup Finals is vastly overrated.......Name another Ranger that has done it since 94......

When Mark left in '97 our team was slowly on the decline anyhow, we are out of the dark ages now.

How long have you been a Ranger fan for? I respect the fact that you don't want to forgive the guy because he chased money, but MSG's management especially Checketts had a ton to do with chasing Mark out of NY. I'm sure you bashed them enough though......

Bottom line is Mark Messier as a player was the best thing to happen to the Rangers in either of our lifetimes (so far), and if he wants to apprentice here so be it, he should be allowed to just like Yzerman and a few others are.
As I remember he just said "we will win." what do you expect him to say? We will lose? There is no denying his contribution, which is what you assume I'm doing. He CONTIBUTED to the team's victory, but there were a lot of individual heroics. Leetch won the MVP for crying out loud. Heck, Zubov led the team in scoring that season, but you want to raise a comment with a bunch of microphones in your face as more important than what happened on the ice.

Anyway, I don't want to comment on your take on the 94 season. I accept you believe he did it all himself. I just respectfully disagree.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:55 PM
  #90
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Forgetting about his working here now for a sec, I'd just like to opine that to me, the best things that have happened to the Rangers in my lifetime (player impact wise) are:
  1. Park
  2. Leetch
  3. Messier
  4. Lundqvist

Could we have won without Messier? Of course not, but never forget that Leetch was the more important and more valuable player in that Cup victory. There is a reason he won the Playoffs MVP trophy over Messier.

We all thank Messier for his contributions while here but a franchise shouldn't have to bow at that player's feet forever and because the Rangers have done that for years afterwards, the franchise was irreparably damaged. Not his fault but it scarred this team badly for a very long time.
Your top two are indisputable in my mind as well (in that order). I would put Eddie instead of Lundqvist for now. Messier is in my top 10.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:59 PM
  #91
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden Fithful View Post
QFT, the organization shouldn't have to bow at his feet, but then again what is not to be expected since his hand was HUGE in winning the only modern-day Cup??????(see Game 6 against NJ) I'm also not being a "fan-boy" here but Messier's performance that night after guaranteeing victory, might be the best playoff performance I have ever seen.
(I was 12 at the time)

Without that Leetch although very very deserving wouldn't have been the Playoff MVP.

Outside of Graves and Messier, the other Oilers were merceneries hired guns whatever you want to call them, Messier as mentioned earlier played the same amount of years in NY and EDM. The 94 cup holds a special place in his heart, maybe b/c he won it on his own without Gretz or maybe he truly loves NY.

To Hoosier, by the way the Baffoon from Banf-f-f, wasnt in NY in 94 that was Neil Smith....

Back to what the thread was for, Messier wants to see if GM is an avenue he wants to pursue I see nothing wrong with letting him learn the ropes of being a GM, my problem is he's learning from Sather..... I think it's ok for him to be afforded the oppurtunity we don't know if he will be great or if he will horrendous... Hell, he doesnt even know if he wants to GM.
You are right, the BFB was the one selling off his players to Neil Smith. That accounts for my conspiracy theory that he sold his soul to the Dolans for life-time employment; an idiot proof teflon GM'ing gig.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 04:08 PM
  #92
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Messier's presence helped out Leetch tremendously. With Messier around to shoulder other loads, Leetch could do what he did best, which was go out and play. Brian Leetch was an extraordinary hockey player, but he possessed a timid personality and was not an off-ice leader by any means.

The mere mention of Messier's name garners admiration and respect in the hockey world to this day...dont know how thats a bad thing to have in the front office. The people that are bashing Messier are either morbidly bitter and/or are too young to remember how truly great he was in the early-mid 90s.
He had that effect on most of his teammate, not just Leetch. Again, the issue here, in my mind anyways, is that he's an Oiler. You are totally misunderstanding this thread if you believe we're bashing him. You are waaaaay off. Please re-read the thread. The discussion thread is a discussion of merit. Some fan-boys are taking umbrage to the morbidly bitter types not drinking the Kool-aide. I'm nether bitter nor bashing him. Just stating my POV.

The Nhl is an Ole'boys network. Once you're part of the mutual admiration society you bounce around from job to job regardless of how badly you botched your last assignment. That's what playing together with powerful people will do. It'll get and keep you employed.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 04:39 PM
  #93
ish
Registered User
 
ish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Id like to hear some of the travesties that Mark committed during his second tenure here (other than coming back to a franchise that was in utter freefall).
HoosierDaddy put it perfectly. You can't give Messier heaps of credit for our success in 1994 and none of the blame for the 2000-2004 Rangers. How many teams have had four year stretches like those 00-04 teams with the same captain? Some of blame for the brutalness of those years has to land at the feet of the captain. Even if, gasp, he's a legend.

Someone asked if Messier was the coach of those teams. He might as well have been. Of course, none of us were there behind the scenes, but do you think for one second a puppet like Ron Low would stand up to "suggestions" made by Messier? Me neither.

Someone who's as a good a leader as Messier gets credit for being would have whipped one of those four teams (00-04) into a playoff team. They all had more than enough talent to be a seventh or eighth seed, if not better. None of those years were we terribly close to a spot.


Last edited by ish: 08-19-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typos
ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 05:06 PM
  #94
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ish View Post
HoosierDaddy put it perfectly. You can't give Messier heaps of credit for our success in 1994 and none of the blame for the 2000-2004 Rangers. How many teams have had four year stretches like those 00-04 teams with the same captain? Some of blame for the brutalness of those years has to land at the feet of the captain. Even if, gasp, he's a legend.

Someone asked if Messier was the coach of those teams. He might as well have been. Of course, none of us were there behind the scenes, but do you think for one second a puppet like Ron Low would stand up to "suggestions" made by Messier? Me neither.

Someone who's as a good a leader as Messier gets credit for being would have whipped one of those four teams (00-04) into a playoff team. They all had more than enough talent to be a seventh or eighth seed, if not better. None of those years were we terribly close to a spot.
I found it pretty funny that Messier said he has no desire to coach when that was essentially what he was doing in his final years here. And now he wants to learn the ropes of becoming a GM, I guess his behind-the-scenes involvement from 2000-2004 wasn't enough.

The Daily News summed up how I feel about Messier's last years a Ranger:

Quote:
With a faded Messier still in the lineup, the lesser-light names would have remained in the shadows, losing ice time, weakening the successful team concept that Tom Renney and the coaching staff have been able to implement. Sather's job also is easier. If there was one major criticism of Messier in his final years with the Rangers, it was that he had too much say in personnel decisions. It is safe to assume that Petr Sykora, who had a goal and an assist last night, would never have been a Blueshirt on Messier's watch.
http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...ing_ahead.html

To let a player have that much free reign over how to run a team is a recipe for disaster.

When you compare Sather's treatment of Messier, whom he adores and pretty much allowed Messier to do whatever he wants, to Sather's treatment of Leetch, it is really quite shameful. I understand that Messier and Sather have a bond from the "old boys" network back in Edmonton, but that doesn't mean that Leetch wasn't deserving of the same respect. Messier will always be the favorite son as long as Sather is around.

I just wish the Rangers' management could forge their own identity as opposed to having the shadow of Edmonton's retreads hanging over them. On a side note, Glenn Anderson hangs out at the Garden so often that one would think he was a lifelong Ranger as opposed to someone who was here for a few months of the 1994 Cup run. Maybe he will be offered an assistant GM position as well?

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 01:28 AM
  #95
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I found it pretty funny that Messier said he has no desire to coach when that was essentially what he was doing in his final years here. And now he wants to learn the ropes of becoming a GM, I guess his behind-the-scenes involvement from 2000-2004 wasn't enough.

The Daily News summed up how I feel about Messier's last years a Ranger:



http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...ing_ahead.html

To let a player have that much free reign over how to run a team is a recipe for disaster.

When you compare Sather's treatment of Messier, whom he adores and pretty much allowed Messier to do whatever he wants, to Sather's treatment of Leetch, it is really quite shameful. I understand that Messier and Sather have a bond from the "old boys" network back in Edmonton, but that doesn't mean that Leetch wasn't deserving of the same respect. Messier will always be the favorite son as long as Sather is around.

I just wish the Rangers' management could forge their own identity as opposed to having the shadow of Edmonton's retreads hanging over them. On a side note, Glenn Anderson hangs out at the Garden so often that one would think he was a lifelong Ranger as opposed to someone who was here for a few months of the 1994 Cup run. Maybe he will be offered an assistant GM position as well?
OTC/Ish: Finally! Someone that get's it! No one's bashing anybody. I take umbrage to the treatment, or is that mistreatment, our home-grown HOFers get while the Alberta gang runs the roost. My question is, and always has been, why is he so special. I'd even rather see Gilbert (wild example) and all his foibles, with a visible place in the Garden mgmt than all these Edmonton interlopers How much does it suck for EDM that even their HOF plaers prefer to be elsewhere. That's a great franchise with an awesome tradition.


Last edited by HoosierDaddy: 08-21-2009 at 01:57 AM.
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 02:14 AM
  #96
HoosierDaddy
Registered User
 
HoosierDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I'm not denigrating Messier's contribution but no matter how you slice it, Leetch was the more important player on the ice in 94. If you want to cite Messier's off-ice contribution, that's fine but it is hard to grade intangibles like that. I have a similar problem with the retirement of Graves' jersey because of these cited intangibles.

As to Messier being admired and respected universally, I take that with a grain of salt, because Sather is still thought by many to be some sort of hockey icon despite his horrible failings. This is not a slap at Messier. It's a slap at reputations and perceptions.

Your opinion about "bashing" Messier is just factually untrue. First of all, he is not being bashed except by perhaps one poster and that is a questionable at best. I am neither bitter nor too young to have seen him in his glory so I certainly don't fit into your nicely defined little box.

I just think that post 94, the Rangers involvement with him has been nothing short of toxic.
My stomach turns when I think of how OUR (albeit unsucessful) tradition has been has been sullied by the present ownership and (mis)management. I absolutely love Gravey and everything he brought the table, but I always thought Bathgate deserved to have his number retired, long before Gravey. At least they addressed it by having a Bathgate night and hanging his jersey. As for #11, there will alway be only one player that embodies #11. I grew up watching Hatfield, yesterday's Gravey, and the GAG line and to this date do not understand how a great like Ratelle is almost a non-entity in Ranger nation. He was OUR Jean Béliveau, without the Cups. Rant over.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 08:58 AM
  #97
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
My stomach turns when I think of how OUR (albeit unsucessful) tradition has been has been sullied by the present ownership and (mis)management. I absolutely love Gravey and everything he brought the table, but I always thought Bathgate deserved to have his number retired, long before Gravey. At least they addressed it by having a Bathgate night and hanging his jersey. As for #11, there will alway be only one player that embodies #11. I grew up watching Hatfield, yesterday's Gravey, and the GAG line and to this date do not understand how a great like Ratelle is almost a non-entity in Ranger nation. He was OUR Jean Béliveau, without the Cups. Rant over.
As great as Ratelle and Hadfield were here, Park was easily the best and most important player on all of those teams. No one has gotten a rawer deal in Rangersland than Mr. Park.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 08:16 AM
  #98
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 13,083
vCash: 500
Found another comment from Messier on this:

Quote:
Q:How do you feel about joining the Rangers front office? Do you think you can bring passion and a will to win back into the organization?

A: I am really excited to get back into the game. It is hard to believe it has been 5 years since I retired. Getting the opportunity to work with the Rangers means a lot to me. Hopefully I can contribute in a positive way. I believe I have a good understanding of the challenges of playing in New York, and what the players need to do to be effective, confident, contributing team players. If I can be of assistance in any way, that will be great.

And a "Will to Win"?? Wow... i didnt know an assistant GM was responsible for that...

If you read on he also thinks that Pronger was the biggest move of the offseason.

Got it from his new helmet site. Supposedly its a helmet which reduces the chance of sustaining of a concussion. Maybe we will see some Rangers donning the Mess Hat?

Doesnt look too bad actually.



http://www.themessierproject.com/thecaptain/


Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-28-2009 at 08:35 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 08:42 AM
  #99
savebyrichter420
Registered User
 
savebyrichter420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
I'm not saying you have to drink the Ranger kool-aid or bow at the feet of Messier but some of you need to get your head examined. I don't always post but reading this thread charged me up enough to speak. Nobody here has given one good concrete example of how Messier so called "ruined" this franchise in his second tour of duty. Ripping him for being the Captain of a sinking ship that was sinking before he even came back don't count for anything, he is a great leader but he isn't Jesus Christ, he can't turn water into wine. Who would you rather have had as captain, Holik, Nedved, Ciger, McCarthy, gimme a break, you act like there were such better alternatives. And don't gimme this garbage about Messier picking who stays and who goes, I highly doubt he suggested bringing in the already mentioned losers along with the long list of others not mentioned. MSG had all the money in the world to spend before the cap era, they chose to do nothing with it, not Mess. I mean c'mon, the guy isn't entitled to 1) take time off before deciding to get back into hockey, he should've instead done it right away just because you think so and 2) do it with an orginization which he clearly does love and respects and be willing to learn the ropes and get his feet wet to see if he wants to take it any further, god forbid, what a travesty. Leetch won the con smythe and scored the first goal in game 7 but guess who scored the eventual game winner, oh yea, Messier.


Last edited by savebyrichter420: 08-28-2009 at 08:58 AM.
savebyrichter420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.