HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tips For Adjusting To A Major Stick Change

Old
08-18-2009, 10:08 PM
OilTownHero

vCash: 500
Tips For Adjusting To A Major Stick Change

Well, I just bought an 85 flex SE2 synergy stick.... thing is, my old stick is a junior 50 flex which was way too rubbery. I have a hard time getting used to the shaft, any tips?
Posted via Mobile Device

OilTownHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Ryan52

go to pick up, and practice using it in your driveway (not on the pavement though, use a smooth board or something to protect the blade)

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:17 AM
DJnet65

So you went from a jumior stick to a senior stick basically overnight?

How tall are you and what do you weigh?

why would you be using such a small stick in the first place?

If you are young and went to a senior stick and cut it down so it's the right length it's probably way to stiff for you.

Why not go from a junior stick to an intermediate one?

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:25 AM
OilTownHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJnet65 View Post
So you went from a jumior stick to a senior stick basically overnight?

How tall are you and what do you weigh?

why would you be using such a small stick in the first place?

If you are young and went to a senior stick and cut it down so it's the right length it's probably way to stiff for you.

Why not go from a junior stick to an intermediate one?
Well...I am 5'7 135
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
08-19-2009, 10:23 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilTownHero View Post
Well, I just bought an 85 flex SE2 synergy stick.... thing is, my old stick is a junior 50 flex which was way too rubbery. I have a hard time getting used to the shaft, any tips?
Posted via Mobile Device
Return the stick, if at all possible.

Based on your weight/height description and my perception of your strength (based on your last thread), I think that you actually need an intermediate stick.

I'd recommend trying out a stick with a 65 or 70 flex.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Return the stick, if at all possible.

Based on your weight/height description and my perception of your strength (based on your last thread), I think that you actually need an intermediate stick.

I'd recommend trying out a stick with a 65 or 70 flex.
+1

At that height/weight, you'd have to have basically no body fat to have enough strength to get optimal flex out of that stick. I'd highly, highly recommend an intermediate.

Even the 5030 wood intermediates seem pretty decent for the price.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 11:05 PM
OilTownHero

Well I am looking for Tips I no longer have warranty. What Can I do to adust people?

Old
08-19-2009, 11:36 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
There's not much you can do man. Call it a loss and buy a different one, I say.

It will soften-up a little bit over time with regular use, but it won't make a drastic difference.

I made the mistake of buying a stick that was too stiff roughly ten years ago, and it ended up collecting dust in my equipment room.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 08:12 AM
AIREAYE

If you are playing AA, then why did u get an SE2??? I'd expect something like an SE16 out of ppl like you

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 10:43 AM
DJnet65

The stick isn't that far off for you. It will require more adjustment because you are used to a much smaller more flexible stick. Just keep playing with it and you will adjust to it eventually.

Alot of players prefer stiffer sticks.

Also if you can increase your upper body strength it will help you adjust faster.

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 12:10 PM
OilTownHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
If you are playing AA, then why did u get an SE2??? I'd expect something like an SE16 out of ppl like you
well I am not rich, and I have to buy my own sticks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
08-20-2009, 12:24 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Why do people post stuff like this then think adding a face at the end makes it ok?

Only way to get use to the change is to play with it as much as possible, I know just adjusting to a 3 inch shorter stick it takes me a lil to get use to with some things.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:31 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilTownHero View Post
Well I am looking for Tips I no longer have warranty. What Can I do to adust people?
Practice. Use the stick and you'll adjust to it. If you're still having problems with the stick after a month you might just need to get bigger and stronger.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:48 PM
kmillzy5

85flex is very stiff for being 135lbs. . i'm 145 and I use a 75flex.. if youre still having trouble, i'd recommend moving down in flex.. if thats not an option, i'd hit the weights

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:52 PM
kmillzy5

Quote:
yeah cause God knows, put a SE16 in some AA players hands, and they'll become a superstar.. don't post this garbage.

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 06:54 PM
AIREAYE

Relax, I'm joking people... I'm not rich either, I buy my own sticks too, I don't get why some ppl get all worked up because they think others believe that a better stick makes a better player

I dont have any fancy sticks, just a One55 with my own money...

Old
08-20-2009, 06:56 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Relax, I'm joking people... I'm not rich either, I buy my own sticks too, I don't get why some ppl get all worked up because they think others believe that a better stick makes a better player

I dont have any fancy sticks, just a One55 with my own money...
Was not what I was talkin about at all, but it doesn't matter Im use to ppl making stupid comments on the internet.

Old
08-20-2009, 06:59 PM
AIREAYE

...hey, I didn't insult you so I don't understand why you are getting so worked up about this, relax and let's help this guy out, seriously...

Old
08-20-2009, 07:38 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Why do people post stuff like this then think adding a face at the end makes it ok?
Because the smiley indicates that he's joking to anybody who's used to being on a forum. And if you're making a statement like that that could be taken seriously, if you are joking it's important to use a smiley so people know you're not being serious.

Welcome to the Internet, n00b.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 08:10 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Because the smiley indicates that he's joking to anybody who's used to being on a forum. And if you're making a statement like that that could be taken seriously, if you are joking it's important to use a smiley so people know you're not being serious.

Welcome to the Internet, n00b.
Pretty much my point entirely, just because you post a face after a comment like the one he made, does not make it harmless statement or a "joke". No need to drag this on any further.

Old
08-20-2009, 10:30 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Pretty much my point entirely, just because you post a face after a comment like the one he made, does not make it harmless statement or a "joke". No need to drag this on any further.
Actually, it does. That's what it signifies. You very badly misinterpreted me. It means it's akin to sarcasm, where he does not actually mean the literal interpretation of the words. Very rarely are smilies used in seriousness, about a year after they were invented it got annoying really quick. Aireaye was making a joke. The smiley there was to make that clear.

Oh, and "I'm right, the discussion is over." is not a valid argument. It's only a step above putting your fingers in your ears, prancing around, and singing la la la.

Or should we start from the very basics of this?

Okay, we'll give that a go.

When somebody says something, they do not always mean exactly what they say. How they say it is just as important. 90% of communication is in tone and body language. On the internet, we mainly use text, which looses all of this tone and other important stuff. We use these things called smilies to communicate some of that when statements are not meant to be taken at face value. These can include smilies for being silly, which can involve making a lighthearted joke, often to highlight a truism or stereotype that applies to the current situation, and to highlight a contrast with that stereotype.

Smilies can also be used to highlight advanced concepts like sarcasm, which is where words are used to the opposite of their stated meaning. Even in spoken conversation this is a difficult concept, and can present misunderstandings. However, used correctly it is a very effective form of humor. For an example, the phrase "yeah, right" is commonly used as a negative, where the literal meaning of it would be seen as a positive.

There are really two options here. One, you're unfamiliar with the English language and how it's actually spoken. Two, you are unfamiliar with how the english language is represented on the Internet.

If it's the first and you're not a native english speaker, it's quite forgivable. If the first and you are a native english speaker, kind of scary. If it's the second and you are indeed new to the internet, it's a forgivable mistake, but please do not insist you are right when you do not know.

Old
08-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

...like I said, check out the 5030 intermediate, it's $25-30.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 11:26 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:

Oh, and "I'm right, the discussion is over." is not a valid argument. It's only a step above putting your fingers in your ears, prancing around, and singing la la la.
Stopped reading here, cause no, I posted that for the exact reason of it turning into something like this, I dont care that much, I dont like what he said at all and I said something about it. Already said what I had to say and how I feel about it, not going to get into a big long debate over it.

Old
08-21-2009, 12:02 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Stopped reading here, cause no, I posted that for the exact reason of it turning into something like this, I dont care that much, I dont like what he said at all and I said something about it. Already said what I had to say and how I feel about it, not going to get into a big long debate over it.
The only time that works is if you concede the point.

What you did though, was take seriously something that was never intended to be taken seriously in any form whatsoever and was clearly marked as such to anybody familiar with a message board environment. You've made clear you don't like what he said. However, you have also made clear that you had no understanding whatsoever of what he meant when he typed that.

Old
08-21-2009, 12:37 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
The only time that works is if you concede the point.

What you did though, was take seriously something that was never intended to be taken seriously in any form whatsoever and was clearly marked as such to anybody familiar with a message board environment. You've made clear you don't like what he said. However, you have also made clear that you had no understanding whatsoever of what he meant when he typed that.
Well then hear ya go, I clearly understand what he meant when he typed it, and I did not like it. Anything else ya need?