HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sergei Zholtok dead...

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2004, 07:28 AM
Joe Cole

vCash: 500
What a shame. Really. Somehow I always had a soft spot for Zholtok. I remember him as a Senator and I thought to myself, this guy is really different somehow.

When he was traded to the Habs (or picked up as free agent) I was very happy.

Sergei always had this knack for against the grain/off balance shots that the goalie could not prepare for. I really thought he was unique that way. He wasn't the prototypical NHL forward, but sometimes you need that extra spice.

I am truly sad to see that he has passed, and wish only the best to his family and friends.

Old
11-04-2004, 08:28 AM
[nixloose] Christoph

Send a message via ICQ to [nixloose] Christoph Send a message via MSN to [nixloose] Christoph
this is unbelievable

a very sad day

Old
11-04-2004, 08:40 AM
neg marron

r.i.p sergei

we lost a great player zholtok played for us from 1998 -2001 great energy center also was great in ahl with quebec

it's always rough when a person dies so young
he would have been 32 this dec 2nd

Old
11-04-2004, 08:40 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Sad news , He was still young and He was a great guy.

Old
11-04-2004, 08:55 AM
Habs4ever

How did he die??

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg marron
we lost a great player zholtok played for us from 1998 -2001 great energy center also was great in ahl with quebec

it's always rough when a person dies so young
he would have been 32 this dec 2nd

he was one of the best player in his first year if I remember, he brought so much energy to the club at the time.

Old
11-04-2004, 10:23 AM
neg marron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
he was one of the best player in his first year if I remember, he brought so much energy to the club at the time.
he had an irregular heart beat essentially he had a heart attack

Old
11-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Alexander Ovechkin

Why he die !!
His a very good player !!

Old
11-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Keetz

article from the Minneapolis paper. heartbreaking last moments with Wild teamate Darby Hendrickson.

Last update: November 4, 2004 at 6:56 AM
Ex-Wild Zholtok is dead at 31
Chris Snow, Star Tribune
November 4, 2004 SERG1104

Sergei Zholtok, the popular, introspective center who played almost three full seasons with the Wild, died Wednesday during a game in Minsk, Belarus. He is believed to have died of heart failure.

Zholtok, 31, was playing for HC Riga 2000 when he left the bench late in a tie game and collapsed in or near the visiting locker room, according to NHL agent Neil Sheehy. Paramedics unsuccessfully attempted to revive Zholtok, Sheehy said.

In a convergence of time and place, another former Wild player, Darby Hendrickson, was playing with Riga because of the NHL lockout. He accompanied Zholtok to the locker room. And, according to Sheehy, Zholtok died in Hendrickson's arms.

Said Sheehy, who is Hendrickson's agent: "He told Darby, 'Don't leave.' "

Sheehy said Hendrickson also told him: "I have a deep faith. I was meant to be here."

It was only last season, on Oct. 21, 2003, that Zholtok fainted at Xcel Energy Center in the runway to the locker room. He was diagnosed with hyperventilation. Ten days later, additional testing at the Mayo Clinic revealed an irregular heartbeat.

Four days after that, which was exactly one year ago Wednesday, Zholtok was cleared by his cardiologist to return to the Wild.

Zholtok leaves behind two sons, Edgar, who is in his early teens, and Nikita, a toddler, and a wife, Anna. They were in Latvia at the time of Zholtok's death, Sheehy said. Sheehy said Zholtok's father lives in Minsk and was at the rink Wednesday.

Hendrickson, Sheehy said, planned to go immediately to see Zholtok's family once the team bus made the 10-hour bus trip back to Riga.

Zholtok, who played 10 seasons in the NHL, also leaves behind teammates who thoroughly enjoyed and respected him. Hendrickson's wife, Dana, contacted the Wild's unofficial captain, Andrew Brunette, on Wednesday night, and Brunette began calling all of his teammates.

"I'm sick to my stomach," said Brunette, who was Zholtok's road roommate the past three seasons. "He's a great family guy, very loving. If you ever had time to see him with his kids, he was just a great person, a fantastic person who didn't need to leave us all this early.

"We don't need to lose people like him."

Zholtok was so consumed by his family that it would sometimes affect his play. Last season, he was burned out by hockey and traveling but fulfilled a promise to take his family to Disney World during the All-Star break.

"I would have preferred to stay home," he said last February. "At the same time, I knew the family needed it."

Nikita basked in seeing Barney in person.

"He sings and he laughs," Zholtok said of Nikita following the trip. "It's given me a lot of positive energy."

It showed. He had five points in the next five games. Said coach Jacques Lemaire on Wednesday night: "If anything went wrong [with his family], his game would be affected. Because they counted so much."

They were one reason why Zholtok took such pains in going through extensive medical testing last October and November.

"It was a huge scare for him," Brunette said. "I know he was really kind of apprehensive about coming back. He wanted to make sure he did all the tests. He went to the best place, probably in the world, in the Mayo Clinic."

A year ago Wednesday, with Mayo's stamp of approval, Zholtok spoke about rejoining the team.

"The bottom line is my arrhythmia is fine," he said on Nov. 3, 2003. "It's cleared my mind."

Of the medical process, he said, "It's unbelievable. They do so much testing. It's all very interesting to know. The heart is a muscle, and all arteries create or don't create problems. If you are a healthy person, you should have good blood flow.

"And I'm happy to be one."

Zholtok, who was one of only four Latvian players in the NHL last season -- something about which he felt immense pride -- played 588 NHL games with six teams, compiling 258 points.

Old
11-05-2004, 12:49 AM
HabsFan 69

Very sad to hear about!! R.I.P Sergei and my condolences to his family!! I enjoyed watching him play for Montreal.

Old
11-05-2004, 01:20 AM
Nyclaus

God rest your soul Sergei!

Old
11-05-2004, 02:21 AM
FinnoHab

Rest in peace Sergei.

He was always a class act, for the Habs and every other
team he played for. And by all accounts, a great guy outside
the rink. He will be missed.

Old
11-05-2004, 07:32 AM
mcphee

Strange the stories you hear after something like this. Apparently he had a home in Westmount and a lot of people knew him around the local rink bringing their kids to skating or hockey. He made a lot of friends in Montreal and loved the city. It's a shame for anyone but even moreso with a young family.

Closed Thread