HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Vinny Prospal, 1 yr. $1.1 million

Old
08-19-2009, 01:13 PM
TheRedressor

vCash: 500
Gaborik is our only first liner correct. However to say the rest are better suited for the third line is incorrect.

Drury-2nd line center
Prospal-2nd line left wing
Higgins-2nd line left wing
Kotalik-2nd line right wing
Callahan-2nd line right wing

Avery-3rd line left wing
Anisimov-3rd line center

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Gaborik is our only first liner correct. However to say the rest are better suited for the third line is incorrect.

Drury-2nd line center

Avery-3rd line left wing
Anisimov-3rd line center
agreed. Not concerned. these guys can produce. New faces , Full year with new system

Add Dubinsky to that for sure 2nd line and Lisin say 3rd but he and Anisimov can grow in to more

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
Avery Dubinsky Gaborik
Prospal Drury Kotalik
Higgins Anisimov Callahan
Brashier Boyle Lisin
we can mix it up all we want but bottom line is they will go to camp and who ever works best with each other gets more minutes

I know their is some love for Avery but the guy is a perfect 3rd line energy player. Occasionally sure bump him up but he is what he is.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
we can mix it up all we want but bottom line is they will go to camp and who ever works best with each other gets more minutes

I know their is some love for Avery but the guy is a perfect 3rd line energy player. Occasionally sure bump him up but he is what he is.
I agree with ya, and Avery imo was our best forward in game 7 against the Caps, that's the best you will see him cycling the puck taking the body being all over the place, problem is he has to harness his game and not pull antics like he did earlier in the series.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:

Drury-2nd line center

Avery-3rd line left wing
Anisimov-3rd line center
I still don't see how anyone can say Kotalik and Higgins are legit top 6 and Avery isn't. Even strength Avery is a better point getter than both Higgins AND Kotalik.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:45 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
I still don't see how anyone can say Kotalik and Higgins are legit top 6 and Avery isn't. Even strength Avery is a better point getter than both Higgins AND Kotalik.
Honestly, there really isn't that much of a difference between the point production of the 3 of them. Avery has yet to hit the 20-goal mark but I think he is capable of it if healthy.

There is no way that Higgins and Kotalik are legit top 6. They are borderline 2nd liners at best. Higgins played on the 3rd line last season, although he did struggle through some injury woes. I believe Kotalik spent some time on the 3rd line in Buffalo last season as well.

Chemistry will dictate what line each player will be on, but out of Avery, Higgins, and Kotalik, not one of them is miles and away better than the other.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:46 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:

Drury-2nd line center

Avery-3rd line left wing
Anisimov-3rd line center
Much of this is debatable. Prospal is definitely a legit second liner as long as he isn't "getting old". Higgins and Kotalik CAN play 2nd line. But their play also often is going to have them see 3rd line minutes. Especially Kotalik. Callahan is a 3rd liner on many teams. And his development will have to continue (not stagnate or regress) in order to be a legit borderline 2nd liner. Avery is in the same category as Higgins.

Anisimov isn't even a legit NHLer until he shows it. People don't even consider the possibility that he will start the season in Hartford. And that's a very realistic possibility... whether he's a center or not.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:49 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The Rangers pay him 1.9 million.
How does that defeat my point?

Quote:
Sean Avery makes 4 million dollars per year because Brett Hull is an idiot.
So is Sather.
Idiots are part of the business, in case you didn't know.
Quote:
How many bona-fide top 6 players have never scored 20 goals in a season at 29 years old?
Plenty, may even be a majority.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:52 PM
NYR Viper

Avery should be a 3rd line player. With his skillset and energy he is the ideal 3rd line player on a very good team. With that said I am not sure this is a very good team, so he may play on the 2nd or as a complimentary piece on the 1st line.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:56 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

And that's exactly how it goes with the mish mash the Rangers throw together season after season (save for when a line works like Straka-Nylander-Jags). Guys will struggle with chemistry, guys will go invisible, guys will dog it when discouraged. And that's why Avery gives the appearance of a top 6 forward on this team. There's a reason why Torts (who hates his guts) has him playing big minutes on most nights.

It's wishful thinking that this seasons mish mash bumps him out of the picture. That's a pretty optimistic outlook for the season.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 02:17 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Avery should be a 3rd line player. With his skillset and energy he is the ideal 3rd line player on a very good team. With that said I am not sure this is a very good team, so he may play on the 2nd or as a complimentary piece on the 1st line.
Agree, but very good teams are almost non-existent. Thus, he is good for 2nd any day.

Old
08-19-2009, 02:35 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

So Torts spoke to Vinny prior to the deal;

Quote:
Vinny and I had a long conversation prior to our even talking about this I know, Ive coached him for so many years my question was, Does he want to play? Is life too good? Because hes made a lot of money. Hes been successful. Hes a good person. But I just wanted to make sure that he wanted to play. Hes ticked off. He was bought out. He has something to prove here. I think its a good situation on a one-year deal, and show us maybe for when another contract comes around. Some other people in the organization need to understand that too.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 02:41 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
With the input that Sather seems to take from Torts, I really think this is a good combo right now as GM and coach. Torts knows his **** and although some wouldn't believe it, Sather has his positives as well.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:01 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Well, if Prospal wasn't bought out, Rangers would have taken Zherdev ruling and signed him. They walk away knowing they will get Vinny for peanuts.

Old
08-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Well, if Prospal wasn't bought out, Rangers would have taken Zherdev ruling and signed him. They walk away knowing they will get Vinny for peanuts.
Even if you had evidence to back this up, I still wouldnt believe it.

Zherdev was gone no matter who was available.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 04:43 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I don't see how this would faciliate a trade for Healtley. The Rangers have 7 top 9 wingers now, with Lisin more then likely the odd man out. The Rangers won't be trading any of their newly acquired players (Higgins/Prospal/Kotalik/Gaborik/Lisin). That leaves Avery and Callahan (They won't get traded either).

Anyone care to take a shot at what the lines might look like?

BTW, in the Dubi contract update thread, I broke down the Rangers salary situation a bit, and it seems going with 12F/7D/2G (And dubi signing at Brooks' reported 700K) the Rangers will have somewhere around $2.5 million in cap space (That's with Voros and Rissmiller in the AHL).

I'll take a shot at the lines:

Prospal - Dubinsky - Gaborik
Higgins - Drury - Kotalik
Avery - Anisimov - Callahan
Brash - Boyle - Lisin

I put Prospal on the first line because of his playmaking ability. I think he would mesh well with Gaborik.
these lines are beautiful, i feel like a 6th grader getting home from school right now and knowing the parents aren't going to be home for 2 hours.

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 03:05 PM
NY Ranger86

Quote:
Higgins - Drury - Kotalik
Avery - Anisimov - Callahan
Brash - Boyle - Lisin
Personally I like Avery with Drury and Kotalik so Anisimov and Callahan have a little more to work with... evening out all 3 lines.

Avery - Drury - Kotalik
Higgins - Anisimov - Callahan
Brash - Boyle - Lisin

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 03:07 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Personally I like Avery with Drury and Kotalik so Anisimov and Callahan have a little more to work with... evening out all 3 lines.

Avery - Drury - Kotalik
Brash - Boyle - Lisin
I see where you're coming from that's a good idea every line will have some grit to it also.

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
To those who seem to think that second liners are PPG players...

You need to check stats before denouncing guys like Higgins and Kotalik as third liners. Remember Zherdev's 58 points? Well, at 58 points he was the 68th highest scoring forward last season. That puts him right about the 25th percentile of all first liners.

Minus his injury-plagued season, Higgins' previous two outings were 52 in 82 and 38 in 61. That makes him a bottom-tier first liner or a TOP-TIER second liner. While Kotalik with his 45-50 points is a solid second liner as well. Callahan and Dubinsky are on the verge of those numbers this upcoming season. And if Prospal returns to his 65+ pt form, that makes him a legit first liner.

Gaborik may be our only superstar forward, but his supporting cast is more than solid. Our top 9 look strong.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 04:34 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post

Avery - Drury - Kotalik
Brash - Boyle - Lisin
I think Prospal may find a home with Drury anbd Kotalik. They are both finishers and Vinnie's more of a playmaker.

But no matter how it turns out, this is the first time in a long time that playing with Ranger lines is fun. Been a while since we could really stock three lines.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I look at these proposed lineups and have to say one thing: Lisin is a total waste on the 4th line.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 05:32 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I look at these proposed lineups and have to say one thing: Lisin is a total waste on the 4th line.
I know training camp hasnt opened yet and thats where Lisin needs to perform...but with that said, sean avery should be on the 4th line before Lisin is.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 06:42 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I know training camp hasnt opened yet and thats where Lisin needs to perform...but with that said, sean avery should be on the 4th line before Lisin is.
Avery is just as productive as Kotalik, Callahan and Dubinsky. How about we wait to see what Lisin can do before dropping one of our most productive players and our spark plug to irrelevance on line 4?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 06:43 PM
NYR2007

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Trading for him was the real waste

NYR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 06:59 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post
Trading for him was the real waste
let's wait until he plays a game for the rangers, before we call him a waste

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote