HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryan Allen Skates Again

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-17-2009, 01:37 PM
  #1
Panthers Rock
Moderator
Oh...Yeah ;)
 
Panthers Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Winter Springs, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 5,555
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Bryan Allen Skates Again

That's the good news from Dave Joseph, blogging on the Panthers official website:

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=479763

Quote:
And now four words Panthers fans has been waiting to hear for nearly a year.

Bryan Allen is skating.

The veteran defenseman, who missed all but the first two games of last season due to knee surgery, reports from Canada that he’s been skating since the middle of July and has suffered no setbacks.

“I’m very excited about getting ready to come back,” said Allen, who’s been skating on his own and with a group of professionals in his hometown of Kingston, Ontario. “The knee feels good, but I also have to be cautious and take the right approach and not go too quickly.”
Boy we are gonna need him, missed him a lot last year.

__________________

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 02:34 PM
  #2
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,189
vCash: 500
Yeah, it was good to hear he's been skating for a month already. Also on the Panthers' site, Vokoun has already been in Florida for weeks working out. Great to hear. Here's to hoping he has a big bounce back season.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 03:05 PM
  #3
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Mogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 10,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
That's the good news from Dave Joseph, blogging on the Panthers official website:

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=479763



Boy we are gonna need him, missed him a lot last year.
We really need him to bounce back. Just think about d last season had we had Allen in fold too. WOW

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 03:10 PM
  #4
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Yeah, it was good to hear he's been skating for a month already. Also on the Panthers' site, Vokoun has already been in Florida for weeks working out. Great to hear. Here's to hoping he has a big bounce back season.
Yeah, hopefully Allen returns fully to form and continues his shutdown dominance.

Tvo did say when he came here that it'd take a few years to really learn the Conference, hopefully he's done that now and has a great season, we're gonna need it from both these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
We really need him to bounce back. Just think about d last season had we had Allen in fold too. WOW
no doubt!

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 03:14 PM
  #5
KW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
We really need him to bounce back. Just think about d last season had we had Allen in fold too. WOW
Had Allen played a full season, would we still have Bouw? Hmmm....

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 03:34 PM
  #6
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
Had Allen played a full season, would we still have Bouw? Hmmm....
No - Bouw decided to leave in the spring and Allen wasn't hurt until the autumn. That account came out from someone after Bouw was dealt, either JM or Sexton.

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 03:55 PM
  #7
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
No - Bouw decided to leave in the spring and Allen wasn't hurt until the autumn. That account came out from someone after Bouw was dealt, either JM or Sexton.
And according to the now infamous "list," you could even say 18 months ago.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 04:21 PM
  #8
pb1300
BLEED RED
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
We really need him to bounce back. Just think about d last season had we had Allen in fold too. WOW
Just think if we would of traded Bouw last offseason for Carter, and had Allen for a full season...WOW!

Anyways, I think Allen would have definitely been good for that ONE extra point we needed!

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 05:15 PM
  #9
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Great finds Panthers Rock and Markstrom Rules. Great news too.

What I especially liked hearing is that Vokoun's been in town and working out. He said at the end of last year that everyone needed to get better--it seems as he's making sure that he's going to be one of them. Good for him. Good for the Panthers.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 05:22 PM
  #10
pb1300
BLEED RED
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
Great finds Panthers Rock and Markstrom Rules. Great news too.

What I especially liked hearing is that Vokoun's been in town and working out. He said at the end of last year that everyone needed to get better--it seems as he's making sure that he's going to be one of them. Good for him. Good for the Panthers.
Its good to hear Vokoun get into the arena a few weeks early. I just hope that he can rid himself of that slow start syndrome, because if we are going to have any chance at making the playoffs this season, we MUST get off to a better start than years past.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 07:37 PM
  #11
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Agreed, and I think he knows it too.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 12:37 AM
  #12
handbanana
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
handbanana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Great great news, can't wait to see Allen play again.

handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 02:11 AM
  #13
Tuco
Registered User
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
Had Allen played a full season, would we still have Bouw? Hmmm....
I would tend to think that trading Bouw would have been easier and made more sense if Allen was in the line up, not the other way around. So, I guess it could have been either way.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:00 AM
  #14
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Portal33 wrote:

Quote:
Great great news, can't wait to see Allen play again.
I've never actually seen him play, joining the Panthers after the McCabe trade. I'm excited to see what you're all excited about, and have written about.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:18 AM
  #15
Panthers Rock
Moderator
Oh...Yeah ;)
 
Panthers Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Winter Springs, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 5,555
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
Portal33 wrote:



I've never actually seen him play, joining the Panthers after the McCabe trade. I'm excited to see what you're all excited about, and have written about.
Here's a sample from his first year here:


Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:49 AM
  #16
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Thanks. Does he do that sort of thing often? And how is he on defense?

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 12:11 PM
  #17
pb1300
BLEED RED
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
Thanks. Does he do that sort of thing often? And how is he on defense?
Excellent defensive Dman, who has the ability to knock players off the puck, and he does use his size to his advantage. I think a pairing of Ballard and Allen would be quite fearful IMO! But I would rather have Allen paired with Cabs, because I think he is a better Dman than Leopold, and Ballard is better defensively than Cabs to cover Leopold's mistakes, if that makes sense lol.


Last edited by pb1300: 08-18-2009 at 12:18 PM.
pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:22 PM
  #18
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
It makes sense--I'm just not sure I agree with it. I thought--last year--that it was Ballard who tended to go "a-wandering" from time to time. More so than McCabe. But I still like the pairings you suggested, just for different reasons. That "defensive defenseman" description sounds like exactly what we need. Thanks.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:55 PM
  #19
Pantherfan12
Registered User
 
Pantherfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunrise,Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Its good to hear Vokoun get into the arena a few weeks early. I just hope that he can rid himself of that slow start syndrome, because if we are going to have any chance at making the playoffs this season, we MUST get off to a better start than years past.
I think we'll be okay this season. It's going to be tough at the very begining because we open up twice against Chicago, but Deboer has a year under his belt and he knows his players, and most of the team knows his system now so they know what to expect. Vokoun is going to want to win,and get back on his game. Allen is going to want to do the same thing,coming off injury. Leopold,Koistinen,Reinprecht,and Clemmensen are going to want to make good impressions on their new team , not to mention our prospects wanting to prove why they should be on the pro team, so I am really hoping they come out on fire and surprise a lot of people.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 10:48 AM
  #20
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
Thanks. Does he do that sort of thing often? And how is he on defense?
He contributes very little offensively, but his game is extremely solid from the neutral zone and back. Skates well - not fast, but really well - for a guy his size and seemingly always is in position to break up plays in his own zone. Has great size and reach, and is not at all afraid to use his big physique to his advantage. Also, as you can see in the clip above, knows when to step in to a hit to eliminate an opponent from the play.

I remember a few times in the past where for short times, not unlike Mike Van Ryn, I considered him our best defenseman.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 10:52 AM
  #21
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I think a pairing of Ballard and Allen would be quite fearful IMO! But I would rather have Allen paired with Cabs...
I'd put Allen with McCabe, which would allow McCabe to wander up with the offense now that he has such a solid defensive partner to cover him. Ballard - with his significant mobility and speed advantage over McCabe - wouldn't need that quite as much, in my opinion. Ballard seems much more able to carry the puck in on his own and get back into position than McCabe.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 11:30 AM
  #22
Panthers/Leafs fan
 
Panthers/Leafs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Clint wrote:

Quote:
Ballard seems much more able to carry the puck in on his own and get back into position than McCabe.
I fully agree with the first part of this statement--and equally fully disagree with the latter part. From my perspective, I saw Ballard taking a few too many chances last year, which left his defensive partner hung out to dry. (Well counter-balanced by his offensive upside, I admit).

By the way, I loved the comment you made--the distinction, really--between the team's need for an "enforcer" rather than a "goon." Well done.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:50 PM
  #23
pb1300
BLEED RED
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I'd put Allen with McCabe, which would allow McCabe to wander up with the offense now that he has such a solid defensive partner to cover him. Ballard - with his significant mobility and speed advantage over McCabe - wouldn't need that quite as much, in my opinion. Ballard seems much more able to carry the puck in on his own and get back into position than McCabe.
That is where I was getting at. I think Ballard has the ability to get back defensively better than Cabs, so it would be better to put Cabs with our best defensive Dman.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.