HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

In-Line Hockey Questions

Old
08-18-2009, 11:19 PM
mucker*

vCash: 500
In-Line Hockey Questions

I'm looking to join an inline hockey league.
However, a couple of drawbacks have me in a hold position.

1) I'm unsure about the equiptment that I need.
-Obviously you need skates/stick/gloves/helmet/elbow and knee pads/cup
-Do you also need a girdle?

2) Speaking of skates and sticks
-I went on Olympia Sports website...they offer roller hockey skates and roller blades. The roller skates require you to tie, not snap on, and cost considerable more.
-On of the things which really appealed to me about roller hockey was NOT having to have to tie skates (which I really am bad...REALLY bad).
-Do you REALLY need roller skates or will roller blades suffice?

3) While we are on skates and sticks
-Does it matter if you buy a cheap vs. more expensive one if you are in a casual league?
-Again, the inexpensive factor is what made this more practical for me

-Which brands do you recommend?

Thanks!

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post

-On of the things which really appealed to me about roller hockey was NOT having to have to tie skates (which I really am bad...REALLY bad).

-Does it matter if you buy a cheap vs. more expensive one if you are in a casual league?

Thanks!
1)
To play inline, you could get by with just a cup and shin pads(aside from skates, stick, gloves and helmet). I have seen a few guys play with out any shin pads in a pinch too, but wouldn't advise it. I only have one teammate who wears a "girdle", and those are just jock shorts with some extra padding. If you're new to skating, elbow pads make it so much easier to learn to skate hard (you should be falling all over the place at first).

2)
Buy real hockey skates (Mission, Tour, CCM etc.). HockeyGiant.com has Mission Proto VS's on sale for like $100 US, those are great for a beginner. I have yet to see a pair of skates that buckled that were not completely useless for hockey. Learn to tie your skates, it isn't that big a deal (you can buy a little tool to help you get the laces tight enough if you want).

Are you looking at playing on old school skates with four wheels?

3) A lot of the guys I play in my inline league use $200 sticks, and a lot of them use wooden Sherwood sticks that they got for $20. My guess would be that for a beginning player the difference between the two isn't worth it. I bet you can guess which group of guys is less pissed when they break a stick too.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 08-18-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 12:00 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

-Obviously you need skates/stick/gloves/helmet/elbow and knee pads/cup
-Do you also need a girdle?
I am not sure if your league will require a girdle or not. I wear one but know some people that don't. Like the previous poster said, you can get by with a cup and knee/shin pads.

Quote:
-I went on Olympia Sports website...they offer roller hockey skates and roller blades. The roller skates require you to tie, not snap on, and cost considerable more.
The location where you are going to sign up might have a say in this too since the extra buckles and everything could end up scratching or scuffing up the surface.

these are 90$ new on hockeymonkey. (like Mush said, get some Tour, Mission or something like that)

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-...es-bsx-sr.html

you can find some, tying them is not a big deal.

Quote:

Thanks!
If you are just starting then there is no need for you to get a top of the line stick (or skates really).

I am an Easton fan

this is a cheap composite stick

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...gy-sc1-sr.html

here is the page for wooden hockey stick (Easton)

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/sticks-all-easton.html

I am assuming that you would use a senior stick

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 02:56 AM
mucker*

Thanks SO much for all your help!

Let me answer you responses with some more details.
I used to play Ice Hockey, but that was 10 years ago.
I quit for a variety of reasons, one being I was a lazy teenager.
I also used to play street hockey and I loved it.

I am not a newbie in the sense I never played, but probably a remedial school person getting a refresher.

1) Thanks...so pretty much go ahead and get the 20 buck stick this way I can afford a backup?

2) As for skates...again they sell inline hockey skates or roller blades.
The difference I have seen is the blades cost less and have a velcro snap while skates require you to tie.
-I have a REAL problem with tying anything...it was really hard.
-Is there any disadvantage or is it socially taboo to use roller blades over skates?

3) Which level of league would go best for me?
-Begginner/Intermediate/Competitive?

4) How expensive are the leagues?

5) One of the big lures to Inline Hockey is that I am in my mid 20s living way off campus as grad student out in the boondocks of NE CT.
I was hoping if I joined a Inline Hockey League this might help me get better aquainted with people my age and my interest.
It's been impossible meeting anybody, let alone a hockey fan, here.

So...I found a rink in Glastonbury and in Longmeadow.
If you don't know anything about these rinks...I guess my question would be...just what is it like in these leagues?
As an out of towner new to the area, is this the type of stuff with pretty cool peope...or is it very clicky?
Intramurals at the school are very clickly...pretty much if you are a free agent you feel let out.
Adult Ice Hockey on the other hand in my experience has been worse...it's had a LOT of 40+ middle age men who bicker, argue, and take out anger from their families by starting fights.

I'm just looking for a casual way to get back into the sport and to do so making connections with people my own (25) age.
Is this a good choice or am I likely to run into the same psychos/cliques from intramurals and ice?

Thanks!

Old
08-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
1) Thanks...so pretty much go ahead and get the 20 buck stick this way I can afford a backup?
Sounds good to me.

Quote:
2) As for skates...again they sell inline hockey skates or roller blades.
The difference I have seen is the blades cost less and have a velcro snap while skates require you to tie.
-I have a REAL problem with tying anything...it was really hard.
-Is there any disadvantage or is it socially taboo to use roller blades over skates?
If you don't mind me asking, is there an additional difficulty you experience with tying things (like a dexterity issue with your fingers) or is just a general aversion to it?

Well, the wheels on most skates with velcro straps are hard outdoor wheels that will have you slipping all over the rink. The boots are also flimsy and fit like crap. They're pretty much impossible to play on IMO.

Quote:
3) Which level of league would go best for me?
-Begginner/Intermediate/Competitive?

4) How expensive are the leagues?

5) If you don't know anything about these rinks...I guess my question would be...just what is it like in these leagues?
It sounds like beginner would be best.

The league I play in is $135/season plus $30 a game for referee fees (split between 8 players and a goalie), for ten games plus a three round playoff, with first place getting a bye in the first round, and a best of three championship series. Its well worth it to me, I have a blast.

It has two divisions (rec/competitive). Some teams play pretty physical, others don't, but nobody really crosses the line that often. I've never seen anyone get in a fight that wasn't looking for it, or playing dirty and/or running their mouth.

Quote:
Is this a good choice or am I likely to run into the same psychos/cliques from intramurals and ice?
People are people, everywhere you go. Where I play in is full of cool guys, peppered with some not-so-cool guys. All in all, I would say it is a good bunch.

Old
08-19-2009, 12:50 PM
mucker*

Thanks!

1) As for tieing skates...I have a mild developement disorder that affects me with small manipulatives. Tieing a tie is very hard, and skates were too.
I usually butchered them so badly, they either were too loose and flimsly or too tight they cut off my circulation.

Generally speaking, are roller skates EASIER to tie than Ice Skates or is there any aid available (devices).

2) You had to pay 130+30 each game? That adds up!!!

Old
08-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Crosbyfan

Don't forget to protect your elbows.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:04 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Thanks!

1) As for tieing skates...I have a mild developement disorder that affects me with small manipulatives. Tieing a tie is very hard, and skates were too.
I usually butchered them so badly, they either were too loose and flimsly or too tight they cut off my circulation.

Generally speaking, are roller skates EASIER to tie than Ice Skates or is there any aid available (devices).

2) You had to pay 130+30 each game? That adds up!!!
Get one of these:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/nbh-hock...tightener.html

Also, hockey leagues of any sort are expensive. Yes it sucks, no, there's nothing you can really do about it.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:22 PM
WickedWrister

The league I had was like $900 per team. Divided that by 10 and it's very affordable.

I wear skates, shinpads, helmet, gloves, and stick. No cup (probably stupid), or elbow pads. Most roller hockey leagues are non-contact meaning you can't check people. You can however be physical when trying to get possession of the puck.

As for skates, you really have to get inline skates, not roller blades. Like other posters have mentioned, the difference is huge, and they're not that expensive. If you have a friend on your team that knows about your "problem", maybe ask him to tie them for you?

In my opinion, having an expensive stick is soooo overated. Instead of worrying about the brand or model, find a curve you like and make sure it's the proper length.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:12 PM
mucker*

1) How much total do you think it would cost to reasonable equip myself?
-I'd like to go as cheap as possible but I want to avoid equipment that is going to break.
-Is it possible I can "re-use" my elbow pads and cup from ice hockey?
-What's the total bill you think?

2) As for tieing my skates, I'll try the skate key. I think I used it before, the problem was my skates were always either too loose with no support or SO tight they cut off the circulation mid foot.
I hope this helps.

3) Generally are adult teams young people my age (25) or is it more college kids (18) or middle agers?
-If you don't know anybody is that the norm or are most teams pre-set?

Old
08-19-2009, 03:55 PM
WickedWrister

Quote:
1) How much total do you think it would cost to reasonable equip myself?
-I'd like to go as cheap as possible but I want to avoid equipment that is going to break.
-What's the total bill you think?

2) As for tieing my skates, I'll try the skate key. I think I used it before, the problem was my skates were always either too loose with no support or SO tight they cut off the circulation mid foot.
I hope this helps.

3) Generally are adult teams young people my age (25) or is it more college kids (18) or middle agers?
-If you don't know anybody is that the norm or are most teams pre-set?

Some of these questions we can't answer.

Are you submitting a team with a full roster to the league or are you looking to join a team as a solo player?

1. You can use ice hockey pads for inline hockey. They work the same way. Same with a cup.

You can spend any amount of money on equipment. If were talking low-end beginner stuff...
$100 skates
$20 shin pads
$20 Gloves (Generic mylec brand)
$30 stick
$30 helmet

Just off the top of my head

3. Teams are all ages. My team was a bunch of incoming college freshmen but we played people as old as 40

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 04:13 PM
mucker*

I'd be looking to join a team SOLO since I do not know anybody.
Is this common?

I can re-use cup/elbow pads.
What about gloves/helmet/shin pads (I thought the shin pads might be too big and intrustive).

Old
08-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
You had to pay 130+30 each game? That adds up!!!
I personally paid 130 for the season, and about 4 bucks a game. $30 was between the whole team.

130 + 40 + 12 bucks for play off ref fees = $182 for 13 games.

182/13 = $14 per game.

Dirt cheap!

Old
08-19-2009, 10:41 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'd be looking to join a team SOLO since I do not know anybody.
Is this common?

I can re-use cup/elbow pads.
What about gloves/helmet/shin pads (I thought the shin pads might be too big and intrustive).
Yeah, that is fairly common. There should be someone who runs the league that you can talk to and they will place you on a team in the division that you should be in. If you are torn between 2 divisions, go in the lower one and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I personally paid 130 for the season, and about 4 bucks a game. $30 was between the whole team.

182/13 = $14 per game.

Dirt cheap!
Yeah, roller isn't that expensive. A little more for me though.

about 160 for 10 games plus 1 guaranteed playoff game. Plus a yearly fee of like 80 or 90 bucks (4 seasons per year) so it comes to like 190 per season of 11 games.

I play at a pretty much brand new facility though, it is pretty sweet. It is kind of weird since almost half of the rink is full plexi boards so viewers can get to watch everything.

http://www.silvercreeksportsplex.com...Ice/index.html

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post

182/13 = $14 per game.

Dirt cheap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
Yeah, that is fairly common. There should be someone who runs the league that you can talk to and they will place you on a team in the division that you should be in. If you are torn between 2 divisions, go in the lower one and see.

Yeah, roller isn't that expensive. A little more for me though.

about 160 for 10 games plus 1 guaranteed playoff game. Plus a yearly fee of like 80 or 90 bucks (4 seasons per year) so it comes to like 190 per season of 11 games.
I have always wondered what other people pay to play inline hockey...I pay $180 for 10 games, plus 1 guaranteed playoff game.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 09:14 AM
pfloyd75

I switched from inline to ice a couple of years ago but when I was playing roller, it was about $150 a season for 10-12 games plus playoffs.

As others have said- get inline hockey skates.
The gloves, shins, elbows, and helmet that you had from ice will do fine for roller.
An inline girdle wouldn't be a bad idea but is not a must have.
Also- pick up a pair of inline pants (look like cooperalls).

Start off in the beginner division- you can always move up next season if needed.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 09:34 AM
frito

Quote:
1)
In theory you can re-use all of your ice gear with the exception of skates. You could even take the blades off your ice skates and replace them with wheels/runner though that would be a bit extreme and I wouldn't recommend it.

I jumped to inline for about two sessions a couple years back with a few other guys. Since I didn't know if I was going to stay commited to inline vs. ice I just used my ice gear (shins, shoulders, elbow, pants, socks - the whole nine yards). The only thing different was my skates. I can tell you it was hotter than hades. I abandoned my shoulders after the first game and made the switch to just regular roller blade elbow pads after a couple games. I kept the shins and ice hockey pants. If I were to stick with it I would abondon my ice hockey pants for a pair of inline pants and girdle.

Good luck and have fun.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 07:02 PM
mucker*

Thanks.

1) So the equipment list goes
-Skates
-Stick
-Shin pads
-Elbow pads
-Cup
-Gloves
-Girdle (optional)
-Pants

2) I was surprised you can "recycle" shin-pads from ice hockey.
There you have to tape the shin pads to your socks.
What do you do in inline...do you tape your shin pads to your pants?
Do they sell any shin pads that don't require tapping?

3) How would you compare inline to ice hockey?
One of the reasons I'm considering inline to ice is that I just hate the equipment with ice hockey.
I'd like it where it's easier and less of a hassle/time-consuming and I can just put on my gear and go.

Just curious but is inline more casual and user friendly in this aspect?

Thanks.

Old
08-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Thanks.

1) So the equipment list goes
-Skates
-Stick
-Shin pads
-Elbow pads
-Cup
-Gloves
-Girdle (optional)
-Pants

One of the reasons I'm considering inline to ice is that I just hate the equipment with ice hockey.
I'd like it where it's easier and less of a hassle/time-consuming and I can just put on my gear and go.

Thanks.
1. You can add a padded shirt as well, optional though. I don't use one.

2. Tape is not necessary, I used it because my pants were too long and getting caught in my wheels. Used the tape to keep my pants up.

3. Roller is less bulky but from my experience it can get HOT unless there's some good air circulation. The first time I ever played it felt like a sauna very quickly. The roller league I play for is 4v4 with no icing. Not sure if that is the standard.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 08:41 PM
mucker*

Heat is not my concern.
I'm more interested in knowing if the whole equipment dressing is a lot more casual and user-friendly.

I really liked when I was younger being able to play street hockey, because it was all about the game.
It was so much easier and casual as you'd just put your gear on and play.

Ice Hockey there is much equipment. I was hoping inline would be more casual like street hockey...especially with the skates and shin pads.
I always had trouble tieing skates and securing the shin pads.

Oh...I forgot to ask...do you need for your helmet a Cage and or mouth guard?
Of can you just go with a helmet...what do you recommend doing?

Last edited by mucker*: 08-20-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old
08-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Placebo Effect

Depending on the level of play for the the cage (I'm pro cage). I find lower level tend to equal more high sticks with players tending to have less control of their sticks. I go with cage and no mouthguard. If you go with no facial protection a mouthguard is a must. I'd say getting dressed in inline is a little quicker but the difference is pretty negligible.

Realistically you're wearing about the same amount of equipment minus shoulder pads

The only other difference is replacing hockey socks and pants with girdle, if wearing, and pants

Bottom line, I haven't found a big difference between the two outside of playing the game itself.

Here's the order of how I get ready

Roller

1. Girdle (with cup already in it)
2. Pants
3. Skates
4. Shin pads
5. Tape pants
6. Elbow
7. Jersey
8. Helmet
9. Gloves

Ice

1. Jock
2. Shin
3. Socks
4. Pants
5. Skates
6. Tape Socks
7. Shoulder
8. Elbow
9. Jersey
10. Helmet
11. Gloves

Only a couple of steps more for ice that maybe add a minute more or two. My timing is off though because I rarely ever put on all my gear at once. I tend to chat with my teammates while putting on gear so getting ready isn't one smooth process. That's also why I find getting ready pretty enjoyable as long as I'm not in a rush.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 08:50 AM
pfloyd75

Quote:
Most people just tape the outside of the pants just like they do on socks. Shins all have velcro straps these days but people still tape them up
Quote:

Thanks.
My experience with roller is that it is typically higher scoring and has less stoppages due to rules differences. Other than that (and the insane heat, which is why I quit) it is pretty similar to ice.

There isn't much difference between getting ready for ice vs roller.

As for the casual/user friendly part- that really depends on your league. The roller leagues I played in were much, much more competitive and stressful than the ice leagues that I am in... which is another reason why I stopped playing roller. Roller leagues in my area were taken way too seriously while the ice leagues are much more relaxed. I'm sure that this varies from area to area.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 02:07 PM
190Octane

Girdles are optional but I would highly suggest wearing one if you don't want huge bruises on your legs from pucks or a broken tailbone. I would consider myself a pretty advanced player (15 years in competitive roller leagues) and two weeks ago I got a bruised tailbone WHILE wearing a girdle, if I didn't have that on I probably would have broken my tailbone. Even if you are a great skater you will run into some poor skaters (literally) in beginner leagues so it just makes sense to protect your ass.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 04:44 PM
mucker*

Since I need skates it might be cheaper for me to just do a season of DEK hockey.

What do you know about that?
Any good?

Old
08-24-2009, 06:04 PM
mucker*

Anybody played or can comment on DEK hockey?