HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Dear all 6"2' goalies...

Old
08-19-2009, 06:59 PM
ChicoEats
Formerly Ziggyluc

vCash: 500
Dear all 6"2' goalies...

What size pads/stick do you guys use? I'm looking to start playing goal (might be odd for a 17 year old) and I'm looking for all help I can get regarding equipment size and buying techniques.

Also, I'm searching the depths of craigslist looking for equipment. Any better ideas?

All help is appreciated.

ChicoEats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

im over 6'3 and i use 34" pads but thats pretty small. its a preference. alot of goalies nowadays our size use 38"+ size pads. the stick is also a preference, i like the paddle to meet teh shaft a little high so i dont have to bend as much

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 07:14 PM
ChicoEats
Formerly Ziggyluc

So do you think 33 pads would run too small on me? Would 36 be way too large?

Last edited by ChicoEats: 08-19-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old
08-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyluc View Post
So do you think 33 pads would run too small on me? Would 36 be way too large?
have you ever played in net before with pads on?

i used small heaton helites that were 32" until i was about 16 or 17 then i bought a new pair of these new style pads. i first bough 38"(i think) but they were HUGE for me so i bought 34" and they fit jsut the way i liked them. the thing to remember is that they have an extra piece called a plus(1, 2, 3 etc.) it adds an inch or more depending on the number. its more for butterfly goalies so thats why i got the 34" pads because though they say its only 2" bigger than my other ones, its probably more like 4-6.

i wouldnt suggest anything higher than 36" and thats really pushing it imo. if youve never played goalie before they are going to feel like sky scrapers on your legs. when i skate up for a while then switch back to goalie it takes me a couple of minutes to get the feel of having big pads on again, so the smaller ones are gonna be easier to move in

Old
08-19-2009, 07:50 PM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyluc View Post
What size pads/stick do you guys use? I'm looking to start playing goal (might be odd for a 17 year old) and I'm looking for all help I can get regarding equipment size and buying techniques.

Also, I'm searching the depths of craigslist looking for equipment. Any better ideas?

All help is appreciated.
http://www.sportsgiant-dev.com/fitting/goaliepad.asp

Use that guide to determine your leg pad size, not your height. If I had to guess, you'll be between a 36" and 38"

I prefer a smaller pad because of the mobility and also because I don't butterfly much. Goalies are, in general, real picky about equipment. I have gone through a lot of leg pads and haven't played all that long.

Also, I'm 6'0 and use 36" pads. Its all about what you are comfortable in.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Hanson95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
im over 6'3 and i use 34" pads but thats pretty small. its a preference. alot of goalies nowadays our size use 38"+ size pads. the stick is also a preference, i like the paddle to meet teh shaft a little high so i dont have to bend as much
I'm 5'11 and i use 34's

Hanson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 07:55 PM
ChicoEats
Formerly Ziggyluc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
have you ever played in net before with pads on?

i used small heaton helites that were 32" until i was about 16 or 17 then i bought a new pair of these new style pads. i first bough 38"(i think) but they were HUGE for me so i bought 34" and they fit jsut the way i liked them. the thing to remember is that they have an extra piece called a plus(1, 2, 3 etc.) it adds an inch or more depending on the number. its more for butterfly goalies so thats why i got the 34" pads because though they say its only 2" bigger than my other ones, its probably more like 4-6.

i wouldnt suggest anything higher than 36" and thats really pushing it imo. if youve never played goalie before they are going to feel like sky scrapers on your legs. when i skate up for a while then switch back to goalie it takes me a couple of minutes to get the feel of having big pads on again, so the smaller ones are gonna be easier to move in
Thank you very much for your answer. I've never played goal before so I would like a snugger fitting pad. So would you recommend size 32 or 33?

Thanks again, really.

Old
08-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

id take teh 33", its probably going to be easy for you to get used to because you havent played before, it also depends on how you tighten them. some goalies like to leave the top straps loose and some like them tighter. i like them tighter, and as you can see by the previous poster, he is 5'11 and has the same pad size as me so its really a matter of preference and getting used to it

Old
08-19-2009, 08:04 PM
OprtnShtdwn

I'm 6'1 and here's how my old pads were on me. Those are Size 32.... since then, I have moved up to a size 34 RBK 6k's.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Hanson95

If you're getting Reebok you should move the top 2 straps down to the next screw insert thing. It gives you a better butterfly

Old
08-20-2009, 09:21 AM
pfloyd75

Follow that link listed above and get pads based off of your Ankle to knee measurement. Also "snug" might not be a good thing once you try it out. Personally, I prefer my pads tight at the skates and very loose at the knee- it helps the pads rotate when I drop down into a butterfly- your preference may vary.

Oh, I'm a bit over 6'0" and I wear 35+1 pads

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

I'm 5'11'' and wear 36+1.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 11:09 AM
densetsu

Your height doesn't matter, it's really the ATK measurement that you should be basing your pad size on.

The ATK database used to be a good reference, though it hasn't been maintained in a few years and is slowly getting out of date as new pad models come out. The calculator linked to a few posts above is also a decent reference, though it says I should be wearing 35" pads which I know -- at least with modern RBK and TPS pads -- would be too small for me.

I'm 6'3", have an 18.5" ATK, and currently wear 37+1" TPS Summits which fit nicely. My previous pads were 36" RBK's, but after a year the foam settled in, the pad shortened, and my knee was hitting the very top of the knee lift. Many pads will shrink an inch or so in the first year, something you may want to take into consideration if you plan to use them for a while.

I also like wearing my pad straps fairly loose, so the pads can rotate easily when I go down into butterfly or half-butterfly. I played goal as a kid wearing tightly-strapped Cooper Dura-Softs, so when I got back in the game four or five years ago, wearing the pads loose felt really weird. I got used to it in a couple games and saw the advantages to it. Though it's all personal preference.

I'm also a supporter of using what most consider a short goalie stick. I prefer a 25" paddle, which these days is becoming difficult to find in stores. I found with longer paddles (e.g. 27"), when I went into butterfly the stick pushed my blocker arm up, opening a hole under my armpit. The effect is illustrated here: http://www.goaliepro.com/en/resource...oper_stick.php. A 27" stick may feel OK for me in stance, but I might make only 5-10% of saves standing up.

Fleury is 6'2" and has a 25" paddle, Huet is 6'0" and has a 24" paddle, Garon is 6'2" and has a 24" paddle. Using sticks that are too tall seems to be the norm in beer league hockey; guys will just walk into a store, pick out the longest stick that matches their pad colours, maybe try it out in a stance (without standing on a short box to mimic skate height, of course), and ring it up at the cash register. Not the way to pick out a stick. If possible, ask if you can strap on some pads and then try a few sticks out in butterfly. Everybody's body is different, so while you should take my opinion into consideration, the final decision should be made by you and how you think the stick feels with your body.

Last edited by densetsu: 08-20-2009 at 11:19 AM.
densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 12:37 PM
ChicoEats
Formerly Ziggyluc

Many thanks to everybody. Your replies have been very helpful and I think I've found something on craigslist that will be great for me.

It's a size 36. My ATK is about 18.5 - 19". Sound good?

Does anybody recognize the model?

Old
08-20-2009, 12:39 PM
ChicoEats
Formerly Ziggyluc

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
Your height doesn't matter, it's really the ATK measurement that you should be basing your pad size on.

The ATK database used to be a good reference, though it hasn't been maintained in a few years and is slowly getting out of date as new pad models come out. The calculator linked to a few posts above is also a decent reference, though it says I should be wearing 35" pads which I know -- at least with modern RBK and TPS pads -- would be too small for me.

I'm 6'3", have an 18.5" ATK, and currently wear 37+1" TPS Summits which fit nicely. My previous pads were 36" RBK's, but after a year the foam settled in, the pad shortened, and my knee was hitting the very top of the knee lift. Many pads will shrink an inch or so in the first year, something you may want to take into consideration if you plan to use them for a while.

I also like wearing my pad straps fairly loose, so the pads can rotate easily when I go down into butterfly or half-butterfly. I played goal as a kid wearing tightly-strapped Cooper Dura-Softs, so when I got back in the game four or five years ago, wearing the pads loose felt really weird. I got used to it in a couple games and saw the advantages to it. Though it's all personal preference.

I'm also a supporter of using what most consider a short goalie stick. I prefer a 25" paddle, which these days is becoming difficult to find in stores. I found with longer paddles (e.g. 27"), when I went into butterfly the stick pushed my blocker arm up, opening a hole under my armpit. The effect is illustrated here: http://www.goaliepro.com/en/resource...oper_stick.php. A 27" stick may feel OK for me in stance, but I might make only 5-10% of saves standing up.

Fleury is 6'2" and has a 25" paddle, Huet is 6'0" and has a 24" paddle, Garon is 6'2" and has a 24" paddle. Using sticks that are too tall seems to be the norm in beer league hockey; guys will just walk into a store, pick out the longest stick that matches their pad colours, maybe try it out in a stance (without standing on a short box to mimic skate height, of course), and ring it up at the cash register. Not the way to pick out a stick. If possible, ask if you can strap on some pads and then try a few sticks out in butterfly. Everybody's body is different, so while you should take my opinion into consideration, the final decision should be made by you and how you think the stick feels with your body.
Thanks for your extremely informative reply. The part about stick size was news to me and I think I'll look for a 24 or 25 inch paddle.

I found the goalie store the other day it's definitely a great website for goalies.

I really appreciate the help guys.

Old
08-20-2009, 01:14 PM
OprtnShtdwn

Either RBK 6k or 8k Pro Spec pads, Montreal Style (Huet)

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:31 PM
densetsu

RBK 6k or 8k, as said above.

Either the person who put the ad up is the wife/gf of the goalie, the goalie was really lazy when they took the picture, or they've been stolen by a non-goalie. A real goalie would put the outer rolls of the pads on the... well, the outside of the pads when putting them together. The blocker and glove are also on the wrong sides.

That, or maybe when I set my gear up on the couch to take a picture of it, I'm really picky about details. Either way, could be an indicator that the price can be haggled down a lot.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Hanson95

You should get those. The RBKs are really good, got a pair myself. Never tried Itech Gloves though. Personally like Vaughns

Old
08-20-2009, 02:58 PM
pfloyd75

Before buying those pads and gloves, I'd want to know the exact model of them as there is a substantial difference between the low end gear and higher end gear despite the fact that they look very similar.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Hanson95

The pads look like 6-8ks

Old
08-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Cashew

I'm 5'10" in 35"+2" Reeboks...

Cashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Hanson95

That's sick man. Straight Fleury gear is awesome. i got Kipper stuff

Old
08-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Cashew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson95 View Post
That's sick man. Straight Fleury gear is awesome. i got Kipper stuff
So Kipper Vaughns? V2 or V3?

Cashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Hanson95

V3s.

Old
08-20-2009, 10:05 PM
ChicoEats
Formerly Ziggyluc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAF is my GOD View Post
I'm 5'10" in 35"+2" Reeboks...

I think I've seen you on the goalie store message boards before. I've also noticed densetsu there as well.

I'm still disappointed that MAF switched away from the yellow pads although the white pads are still very nice.

Anyway, thanks again to everybody who as helped me out in my search.