HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Question about shaft

Old
08-19-2009, 09:11 PM
hockeycore

vCash: 500
Question about shaft

I have 2 questions.

I just bought myself a Bauer Supreme One55 shaft, and I have read good things about it. I am not a seriously player by any stretch, and I actually only plan on throwing wooden blades on it for now so I can play street hockey.

Bearing in mind I have NEVER owned a two piece before and know almost nothing about sticks in general, my question is

What do they mean by "kickpoint"? The reviews I've read have said that it has low mid kickpoint and is good for slapshots. I have no idea what this means, how do I go about judging the kick point on a stick?

My other inquiry regards "Taper". I have no idea what this means, can someone help?

Thanks for any help. Once again, I have almost zero knowledge of sticks in general

hockeycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 09:38 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

One 55 is NOT a tapered shaft. Don't buy a tapered blade, they have a narrower tenon (the part that goes inside the shaft) and will NOT fit.

Kickpoint is where the stick bends the most. Lower, the less the stick will move when you load it and it allows you to get the shot off quicker. Most OPS like Synergy and Vapors have low kickpoints, Supreme line is a little higher as is the stealth. If it's higher up it allows you to load up more energy on the shot.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 10:04 PM
hockeycore

Quote:
I would suggest using ABS blades instead of wood for street.
ABS?

Quote:
One 55 is NOT a tapered shaft. Don't buy a tapered blade, they have a narrower tenon (the part that goes inside the shaft) and will NOT fit.
I just put in a cheap Sherwood 950 Feather Glass blade in it, and it's no moving around or anything, so I don't think it's a tapered blade, i'll find out how it all works out tomorrow though when I play.

Old
08-19-2009, 10:47 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeycore View Post
ABS?

I just put in a cheap Sherwood 950 Feather Glass blade in it, and it's no moving around or anything, so I don't think it's a tapered blade, i'll find out how it all works out tomorrow though when I play.
950 is not a tapered blade, and is a pretty decent blade. Not sure how the wood will last on asphalt, but it should work fine for at least a while.

Old
08-20-2009, 02:00 PM
hockeycore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
950 is not a tapered blade, and is a pretty decent blade. Not sure how the wood will last on asphalt, but it should work fine for at least a while.
I just need it to last until the winter when I can throw on a composite blade, so hopefully it does.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Old
08-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wrote a pretty long and in-depth series about this:

http://wildabouthockey.blogspot.com/...ction-and.html

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 12:16 AM
hockeycore

Well done, Jarick, that was quite informative. Thanks for that.

Old
08-21-2009, 12:25 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
I just need it to last until the winter when I can throw on a composite blade, so hopefully it does.

Thanks a lot, guys.
I doubt it will. Wood blades often don't last that long anyway, and if you're playing on asphalt you will wear it down.

Old
08-21-2009, 04:20 PM
AIREAYE

I think the type of wood blade play in here, if you use wood blades such as this: http://www.247hockey.com/prod_images_large/RB9501.jpg
it will chip VERY easily and splinter off...don't use these

Or this kind of wood, which is what I use:
http://www.247hockey.com/prod_images_large/RB1K2.jpg
http://www.hockeydepotstore.com/imag...sticks-med.jpg

I think this wood is 'Multi-Laminated' or 'Multi-Lam' and last well on the road, about 2-5 months, depending on your frequency of use

I used the Rbk 1K (1st and 2nd Gen), a Sherwood multilam and just bought a CCM Vector 04

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Saved*

Quote:

Thanks a lot, guys.
It won't last. I bought a 950 and stick handled with it for about 10 minutes prior to my game awhile back, and it nearly chewed through to the wood through the coated surface.

10 minutes... you're lucky to get a few hours before it's unusable.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I have 2 questions.

I just bought myself a Bauer Supreme One55 shaft, and I have read good things about it. I am not a seriously player by any stretch, and I actually only plan on throwing wooden blades on it for now so I can play street hockey.

Bearing in mind I have NEVER owned a two piece before and know almost nothing about sticks in general, my question is

What do they mean by "kickpoint"? The reviews I've read have said that it has low mid kickpoint and is good for slapshots. I have no idea what this means, how do I go about judging the kick point on a stick?

My other inquiry regards "Taper". I have no idea what this means, can someone help?

Thanks for any help. Once again, I have almost zero knowledge of sticks in general

Hi I can answer your questions for you, I own 2 One55 shafts. I switched from using wood sticks or aluminum shafts with wood blades back in December. I bought the two One55 shafts just to see if a composite stick is the way I wanted to go. They were $42 each and not a huge investment so if it had been a bad idea I would have not lost or wasted my money.

Boy was I sold on composite sticks, I liked the idea of having a two piece system so much I went and bought a couple of more expensive higher quality shafts meaning the ones I got are tapered and lighter and made by a different company.

My point is i loved the One55 shafts as they are extremely durable .... I have 2 that are heavily used and knicked all over and yet still work like they should.

The kickpoint you refer to is a low mid kickpoint and is located at the low-mid section of the shaft which is not much further down from your lower hand on the shaft after cranking a slapshot.

The kickpoint does give a nice feel for slapshots but does not have as good a "feel" for accuracy. For accuracy you would want a tapered shaft with a low kickpoint and a two piece shaft system that is tapered resembles the kickpoint you get from a one piece stick that is tapered.

I prefer a tapered shaft but I still use my One55 shafts when I am in the mood because they really are a very rugged shaft and does have a nice release when shooting slappers.

I have never used them with a wood blade as i am never using wood again, the composite blades last many many times longer than wood and are always like a new fresh blade until they eventually break. I have broken just ONE blade since December and I play at least twice a week in the summer and more in the winter, I play year round really.

I've nothing bad to say about the bauer One55 shafts .... they are absolutely an incredibly good bargain .... just know that they are NOT the lightest composite shaft out there but they sure are incredibly durable and rugged.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

A Question about Shaft?

He's a mean mother ****er.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote