HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Filing down a wood blade to fit a composite shaft.

Old
08-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Puckclektr

vCash: 500
Filing down a wood blade to fit a composite shaft.

OK, so i am cheap. i play competitive mens hockey and still can't get used to a compostie stick. I am sick of dishing out anywhere from $50 to $150 on sticks that I use in a few warmups and then give them away becasue I don't like them. I can't control the puck with a composite.
I was yard saling with my wife today and buddy had two composite shafts. They may have even been one piece's that were just cut off. Only spent a buck each anyway. So I bought a Spezza blade to go on my stick, but the end of the blade doesn't fit into the shaft. Do you recommend I file it down and get an adhesive so it can fit or take a two dollar loss on the shafts and return the blades? Is this just going to lead to an advance breakage or wear on the stick? Thanks in advance.

Puckclektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Heat McManus

if it's a standard blade that is just a tad too thick for the standard shaft you have then yes, you can sand it down. Sand it so that you need to might need to put some tape on it to fit perfectly. Sanding it just enough to jam it in will make it almost impossible to get out.

Same goes for tapered blade and tapered shaft.

If it's a standard blade and tapered shaft then I wouldn't sand it. It'll take a loooong time and it might make the blade a bit weak.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Saved*

What I can say is that most wooden blades have a layer of fiber glass in the hosel about 1 mm below the surface. If you have to sand deeper than that and remove the fiber glass, you will break the blade on your first slap shot.

Some wooden blades have the fiber glass on the outside, so keep that in mind. If you're a dangler and don't take a lot of slap shots, then do it, but be prepared for breaking it on your very first slap shot.

By the way, when I say break on your first shot, I mean exactly that. It will snap on your very first shot if the fiber glass or reinforcement is removed.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 10:38 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Bauer makes a vapor 40 wood blade. The Vapor blades are tapered. I believe CCM makes one as well, 852 IIRC.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 02:39 PM
RangersAM99

i filed a blade down once to fit into a shaft and i got a half a game off it after the 2nd period ice cut i went to flex it and it snapped so i suggest just buying a cheap two piece of hockey monkey

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangible_faith View Post
OK, so i am cheap. i play competitive mens hockey and still can't get used to a compostie stick. I am sick of dishing out anywhere from $50 to $150 on sticks that I use in a few warmups and then give them away becasue I don't like them. I can't control the puck with a composite.
I was yard saling with my wife today and buddy had two composite shafts. They may have even been one piece's that were just cut off. Only spent a buck each anyway. So I bought a Spezza blade to go on my stick, but the end of the blade doesn't fit into the shaft. Do you recommend I file it down and get an adhesive so it can fit or take a two dollar loss on the shafts and return the blades? Is this just going to lead to an advance breakage or wear on the stick? Thanks in advance.
If your trying to fix a cut-off composite stick by jamming a wood blade in to it...your likely gonna' be LESS impressed with that 'control than' you were with a full composite stick.

I mean...for a $...its worth a try, but I spent a day taking ALL my snapped composite shafts and inserting wood blades into every one of them...(I think I wound up salvaging 3 or 4 and had 5 or 6 I couldn't save)

N-e ways...of the 3 I actually had rigged up...not one of them is actually useful in a game. There is ...like...NO flex point, no touch...nothing left.

But...if you insist on trying it anyways...heat BOTH the shaft and the blade (just enough to soften up the glue and you should be able to buzz the wood blade down enough to get it started into the shaft...and then (with everything still warm) beat grab the blade with both hands and beat the butt end of the stick on a cement surface until you've got it buried in there. Crude, I know...but thats how I got it to work...and like I alluded to...it really wasn't worth the trouble in the end!

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
If your trying to fix a cut-off composite stick by jamming a wood blade in to it...your likely gonna' be LESS impressed with that 'control than' you were with a full composite stick.

I mean...for a $...its worth a try, but I spent a day taking ALL my snapped composite shafts and inserting wood blades into every one of them...(I think I wound up salvaging 3 or 4 and had 5 or 6 I couldn't save)

N-e ways...of the 3 I actually had rigged up...not one of them is actually useful in a game. There is ...like...NO flex point, no touch...nothing left.

But...if you insist on trying it anyways...heat BOTH the shaft and the blade (just enough to soften up the glue and you should be able to buzz the wood blade down enough to get it started into the shaft...and then (with everything still warm) beat grab the blade with both hands and beat the butt end of the stick on a cement surface until you've got it buried in there. Crude, I know...but thats how I got it to work...and like I alluded to...it really wasn't worth the trouble in the end!
That's a pretty crappy method. You can just cut the stick down until you have the size of a normal tapered shaft, and then heat both the shaft and blade and use it like a normal tapered two piece. And a tapered shaft with a wood blade isn't a bad idea at all, some scrub named Crosby uses one.

Old
08-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
That's a pretty crappy method. You can just cut the stick down until you have the size of a normal tapered shaft, and then heat both the shaft and blade and use it like a normal tapered two piece. And a tapered shaft with a wood blade isn't a bad idea at all, some scrub named Crosby uses one.
Ya...I tried to cut the broken composites above the taper...but some sticks had the taper run long enough the stick would not be long enough for me if I cut above the shaft.

The ones I could cut and still have the stick at the exact length I need were nothing close to like using an actual 2 piece.

Old
08-19-2009, 06:54 PM
DevsFan84

Some of the sher-wood standard wood blades will fit into smaller or tapered shafts without any modification. They are a bit thinner.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 09:05 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Ya...I tried to cut the broken composites above the taper...but some sticks had the taper run long enough the stick would not be long enough for me if I cut above the shaft.

The ones I could cut and still have the stick at the exact length I need were nothing close to like using an actual 2 piece.
That's what stick extensions are for. I don't think I've ever had a shaft shorten by more then 4 inches or so.

Old
08-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
That's what stick extensions are for. I don't think I've ever had a shaft shorten by more then 4 inches or so.
Ya' I went into the store with a plan to buy some extension plugs, but then I saw an 85 flex Zetterberg S17 and dropped 3' hundy on it instead!

The good news is that S17 has lasted me for...like...3 months now. She's looking a little ratty now, there isn't even any paint left on the bottom 2 feet of the shaft, but anytime you get that kind of milage out of a composite stick your loving life.