HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New BEGINNER Player needs help w/ equipment

Old
08-18-2009, 03:41 PM
malkintoews

vCash: 500
New BEGINNER Player needs help w/ equipment

Hey Guys, I apologize for the beginner post but, everyone has to start somewhere. While I'm a huge hockey fan I'm just beginning playing by taking an intro class and need to get all of the essential gear.

First off, any help you can give me I'd really really appreciate as I'm clueless because I haven't played before.

So, with that said what can I get away with buying used? What should I buy new? Also, I don't want to break the bank since I'm just starting but I do want equipment especially major stuff (skates) that will last me.

Again, I'm looking for skates, stick, all pads, helmet and while I could snag a mouthguard dangling from Patrick Kane's mouth I think I might buy one of my own.

Thanks for the help guys!

malkintoews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 04:07 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Okay, you will need, from the bottom up:

Skates
Shins
Socks
jock -compression ones with cup are best, get an all in one one anyway, with the short, cup and velcro. Saves a lot of hassle.
Pants
undershirt (optional, but recommended. I prefer tight fit, and Never cotton).
Shoulders- don't need anything too high end here, a little above basic would be good.
Elbows- get some half decent ones. It's pretty easy to screw up an elbow.
Jersey
Gloves- higher end gives you both more protection and more mobility as well as a more comfortable fit. Get something decent.
Helmet. Get a cage too.
mouthguard.

Stick, and assorted tape. Cloth tape for the knob and blade of the stick, and a roll of clear for the shins. Always use white or a light color for the grip, the black tape is more acidic and will speed up the wear on the palms of your gloves.

As for used gear and new gear, a few pointers. Skates need to fit damned well. Don't buy a pair used unless they fit great. Bake them after you get them, new or used. Older skates it's not as good for, but it's important that you get them to fit. A lot of new skates will not ever break in if you don't bake though.
Don't buy a helmet used just yet. Later when you know how one should feel and how it's supposed to look you'll be more qualified to tell if a helmet is in good shape or not when you look at it. For now though, buy new. Expect to spend a decent amount on that, don't get the $20 helmet. And you gotta try those on, they fit different head types. A bauer will be narrower and shallower, a RBK will be pretty deep and wide.

Gloves will be the smelliest piece of equipment. If they reek, avoid buying those used gloves. It's very hard to get the smell out.

Shins are usually fine, as are shoulders, elbows and pants as long as they're in good shape.

mouthguard. Get the boilable shock doctor one, and fit it twice, you'll get a better fit.

Which leaves the stick. For a beginner player, get something light flex and a two piece. A two piece allows you to change the blade, letting you try different curves and saves you a lot of money when the blade breaks, because you only have to replace the blade and not the whole stick. If you want, you could spring for a top end tapered shaft like the Dolomite or the Synergy SE16 or Elite. Those will give you the performance and weight of a one piece composite stick. Both shafts and blades will be more expensive though. You can make a tapered shaft with a OPS with a broken blade pretty easily though, saves you $100 for the shaft.

But to sum up, yeah, used is a great idea to get started. And getting entry level (read: crappy) stuff is fine, if you take to the game you can splurge and get better stuff gradually.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 04:24 PM
AIREAYE

Wow sweet, I have a friend who's startin this season adn Ima help him get his stuff in the next week...I also started hockey last yr so its all good

K here's a list:

Skates: get used skates for now, they're less expensive and they LAST lol srsly my pair of Mission AmpFly's (ancient I know lol) are still kickin strong after 3 yrs...I dunno if Chicago has a Play it Again Sports but they always have great gear

http://www.playitagainsports.com/locations.aspx

If you cant get used skates, than go with whatever fits

Helmet: Probably the most important piece of gear you need after skates as it protects your head... DONT get used in this case as they might have small defects that could increase injury risk

Again, go with whatever fits, and always ask a store person to help you get the right fit

lol my head is isn't the most convienient shape for most of the helmets out there...only 2 i tried fit, my ooooolllddd Itech and the RBK 4K, which i now have

If your league demands it, get a good fitting cage too, make sure it's not a lacrosse cage lol

Stick: There are a buncha threads here about this, whether to go wood, OPS or 2 piece, up to you

Shoulder pads: The store person can help you with this and the rest of the following stuff...Make sure the chest part slightly overlaps the pants and make sure there is adequate spinal protection

Shin guards: Get ones that fit obviously, slightly bigger pads are generally for defencemen (shot blocking) and vice versa...make sure they overlap the toungue of the skate

Pants: Same with the shin guards, but make sure you get adequate spinal protection here and that they slightly overlap the tops of the shin pads

Gloves: Adequate wrist and lower arm protection without sacrificing mobility of the wrist...make sure there isnt too much room between the glove and the elbow pad

Elbow pads: These should cover from the bottoms of the shoulder pad's upper arm sections to the gloves at least, mobility is also important

MISC:

Get some black/white hockey tape (your choice) for your stick
Get a bunch of clear shin pad tape
A pair of extra practise socks
An extra jersey for practise
Mouthguard (if required)
Neckguard (if required by league)
Hockey bag to put all ur stuff
Skateguards
Protective Cup/ shorts
Miosture wicking clothing (optional)

Most of this stuff you could get used, but I recommend getting used skates and everything else new...just dont get a used helmet or shin guards..or cup

Good Luck

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Skraut

Check and see if you library has a copy of Hockey for Weekend Warriors by Scott Noble

http://www.amazon.com/Hockey-Weekend...0642867&sr=8-1

I actually got it from Amazon used for like $4 but I see they don't have any cheap copies left.

The book is a pretty good intro to starting to play hockey as an adult, what gear you need, how to size it, what to expect for pickup games etc. It won't tell you what to buy, but will make you better prepared.

I'm going through the same process myself. Still learning to skate, taking it easy and not rushing myself. All I have are the Skates and a pair of roller blade knee pads (which I hide under my pants to avoid getting laughed at) while I learn. A lot of people recommend getting the full gear, and if you can afford it, do it, as eliminating the fear of falling will help you learn faster.

I've lost 25 lbs so far since starting skating (over 40 this year) and haven't picked up the other equip yet because I'm changing size rapidly, and don't want to invest a couple hundred in equip that will be too big (hopefully) soon. The only pants my Play It Again Sports has that will fit are some 1970's vintage Coopers. (seriously, if they weren't $45 I'd buy them for the novelty of it)

The key is taking your time and enjoying the entire process. For me, I had walked for 33 years, but had never skated. Naturally I wanted to be able to skate as well as I could walk on the first day But have patience learn something new every day, hit the open skates, fall down, learn and have fun. I've been on the ice for 2 months, 4 times a week or so, am confident in my forward stride, can crossover one direction, 2 foot turn the opposite direction, swizzle backwards, and one foot skate between the blue lines. Still have a ways to go but it's progress. The key is having fun and not getting frustrated. I find myself learning something in class, think I'll spend all weekend "Perfecting" it and struggle with it all weekend. Then the next weekend when I'm trying to learn something else, I take a break, go back to what I was trying to learn last week, and it just happens naturally.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:23 PM
JayK47

Where do you live? in the city? or suburb? I'm in my late 30s and I just started 6 months ago with adult learn to play hockey class too. It's been really fun and great excercise for me. I skate at 4 diffrent ice arenas in suburbs (wood ridge, bolingbrook, orland park, romeoville) I got some stuff that I can sell. skates, sticks, jerseys, socks, elbow pad, hockey bag, gloves, shin pads, they all in pretty good shape. let me know if you want pictures of them.

JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 08:19 AM
malkintoews

Thanks for all the help guys! I will be looking around for new skates this weekend and will keep you posted on everything I end up picking out. Thanks again.

Old
08-19-2009, 02:23 PM
LilWinger11

I would suggest getting the skates and helmet (and jock, obviously) new. Anything else, used or new is fine.

As an adult, a correctly-fitted pair of skates (both length and width!) in the appropriate stiffness for your size and ability should last you quite awhile. Getting used skates for a kid who's just starting out is one thing; those skates won't fit him or her for more than a year anyway. But as an adult, you want to get something that will last you two or three years, at least. Go to a reputable pro shop and explain that you're just starting out; if they sell used skates and have something in your size, great, but until you've had a few pairs of skates and are used to how skates should fit, I'd stay away from generic used-sports-gear type of places, or ebay.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 10:13 AM
malkintoews

Hey guys, so I ran out to the store yesterday and had a look around. Luckily you guys are more helpful than the staff on hand at my local store. Anyways, I picked up som essentials such as jock, mouthguard, etc.

I also bought a new helmet w/ cage. It's an Easton Stealth S7 (black).

Right now the project for the weekend is to pick up some skates and stick(s).

As for skates I'm not too familiar with them. I saw some Bauer X30's and X60's at the store...big price difference though. Is the difference just because of the blade???

Also, some of the sticks I'm looking at are:
Nike Bauer Supreme One 55 87 flex Malkin blade
Reebok 5K Snake Grip '08 Mid or Reg Flex Crosby Blade
Mission Concept X Mid or Reg flex Boyes Blade
Sherwood RM7 '08 Mid or Reg flex Crosby blade
Reebok 4K AcuFlex '08 Mid or Reg flex Modano blade

ANY help or feedback would be much appreciated again! Thanks!

Old
08-20-2009, 10:32 AM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkintoews View Post
I saw some Bauer X30's and X60's at the store...big price difference though. Is the difference just because of the blade???
They look very similar, but they're very different. If you're just starting out, stay away from the x60, or any other high-end skates. They will be way too stiff for someone just starting out. Hell, they're too stiff for me!

The x30 is a decent skate though. As always though, try on a few different brands before making your purchase. Bauer Vapors and Supremes have a complete different fit, so it depends on your foot. Take your time, try many skates and go with the one that fits best, not the one that 'looks the coolest'.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Pedagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
They look very similar, but they're very different. If you're just starting out, stay away from the x60, or any other high-end skates. They will be way too stiff for someone just starting out. Hell, they're too stiff for me!

The x30 is a decent skate though. As always though, try on a few different brands before making your purchase. Bauer Vapors and Supremes have a complete different fit, so it depends on your foot. Take your time, try many skates and go with the one that fits best, not the one that 'looks the coolest'.
AHF is correct sped a lot of time trying on different skates. Don't get suckered in to buying skates that you'll regret buying.

Pedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 11:24 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Hey guys, so I ran out to the store yesterday and had a look around. Luckily you guys are more helpful than the staff on hand at my local store. Anyways, I picked up som essentials such as jock, mouthguard, etc.

As for skates I'm not too familiar with them. I saw some Bauer X30's and X60's at the store...big price difference though. Is the difference just because of the blade???

in the Western Chicago Burbs, If you can get to B&R sports (New york and Eola (aurora) or Total Hockey (75th street and Lemont) or , those guys are pretty helpful. Skates are a little finniky depending on your foot style, like said before try on a bunch of pairs.. Each brand has their own little nuances. (My CCM 652's are good cause i have a wider foot)

Unfortunately with a stick at first is trial and error. thats why the one guy said a two piece. you can get some old wood blades online for pretty cheap and try them out. 87 flex would likely be okay to start.... as you get better you may want something stiffer, but you gotta start somewhere.

Where are you looking to play, what arena?

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:18 PM
malkintoews

Thanks again for all the feedback guys, it really helps.

I've tried Total Hockey in Woodridge and I'll definitely try the other place you mentioned over at New York and Eola. Thanks!

Also, right now I'm scheduled to take a class up at Rocket Ice for an intro and my plan is to get started with that, skate wherever I can on my free time, place some pick up and hopefully join a league soon enough.

Any advice on rinks out here? Thanks again, I'll keep you guys posted with my purchases/progress.

Old
08-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Brodeur

Quote:

How are the prices on that? It's tougher nowadays since stores mostly offer one piece sticks, but if you can find a decent shaft that might be the route I'd go. You could then experiment with different blades to see which one suits you. I've known plenty of people buy $150+ sticks with a curve endorsed by one of their favorite players, only to realize they hate the curve once they get out on the ice.

Like others have said, it's not a bad idea to go with a pair of used skates if you're just beginning. If hockey ends up being something you really get into, you're going to eventually want to upgrade your gear. And if ends up not working, at least you didn't spend top dollar on new gear.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:29 PM
malkintoews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
How are the prices on that? It's tougher nowadays since stores mostly offer one piece sticks, but if you can find a decent shaft that might be the route I'd go. You could then experiment with different blades to see which one suits you. I've known plenty of people buy $150+ sticks with a curve endorsed by one of their favorite players, only to realize they hate the curve once they get out on the ice.

Like others have said, it's not a bad idea to go with a pair of used skates if you're just beginning. If hockey ends up being something you really get into, you're going to eventually want to upgrade your gear. And if ends up not working, at least you didn't spend top dollar on new gear.
The prices on those sticks all range from $40-$75 per stick. I thought maybe going with an older model would save me some cash and I could feel comfortable trying a couple out without breaking the bank.

I hear ya on the theory of buying the favorite player stick. I could really care less if it's a big name I sort of have an idea of a set up of the blade I like and those seem to match what I'm looking for.

I have played ball hockey and stuff before I'm just new to the full equipment and ice hockey so I guess it'll take some getting used to. Maybe I'll pick up a couple sticks and give em a try. Thanks again for the replies guys, keep em coming!

Old
08-20-2009, 02:15 PM
DJnet65

As for sticks if you know anybody who plays, or even if you can meet some people that play at your local rink ask is they have any old sticks that you can try.

Alot of players me included have bought sticks played with them for a little bit and decided it wasn't the stick for them and no longer use it. I have several sitting in a closet collecting dust.

Just make sure you know whether you play righty or lefty.

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 02:16 PM
RobertKron

I would strongly recommend getting your skates and helmet new. With a helmet the reasons are obvious. With skates, you're more likely to get them fitted properly if you go to a good hockey shop and spend some time trying stuff on. Most companies' entry-ish level skates are pretty good these days.

I'd also recommend starting with wood sticks. They're cheaper, and also you're not likely to really know what you want as far as curves, lies, flex, etc. just yet, so this means you can try some different options for less than the price of a good composite stick. I'm a big fan of SherWood's PMP 5030.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 06:47 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:

I have a Supreme One55 87 flex Naslund P92 (Shoots high right)...this stick isnt good on the puck feel, OK in terms of weight and if you get the Naslund curve, it can help elevate your shot as a beginner

I hvae tried the 4K Acuflex, its pretty light, but i cant say much else about it

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 08:21 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Thanks again for all the feedback guys, it really helps.

I've tried Total Hockey in Woodridge and I'll definitely try the other place you mentioned over at New York and Eola. Thanks!

Also, right now I'm scheduled to take a class up at Rocket Ice for an intro and my plan is to get started with that, skate wherever I can on my free time, place some pick up and hopefully join a league soon enough.

Any advice on rinks out here? Thanks again, I'll keep you guys posted with my purchases/progress.
If you are close to Rocket, there is also a rink in Romeoville, Then All Seasons in Naperville/Aurora (north Aurora Rd) , Fox Valley Ice Arena (Kirk Rd Geneva near KC Cougars Stadium), Seven Bridges in Woodbridge (Rt 53 North of 75th). All have Rat hockey also, so you can find out those times. I know i used to go to All seasons for public skating on weekdays at lik Noon after i broke my ankle to rehab. It was nice because i basically had the whole ice to myself for my lunch break.

Check Arenamaps.com though... http://www.arenamaps.com/search.php?...eld=arena_name

I spoke with some guys from Rocket a few weeks ago at a softball game, and they seem to be one of the more inexpensive for mens leagues. Most Arenas have pro shos also. Sometimes they are good people to ask. Just tell them you are a beginner and do not want to breeak the bank to start, but will gradually get newer/better equipment as you find out what is good for you.

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 12:11 PM
JayK47

Chad at Rocket ice runs pretty good adult class. I had his class for awhile. I think hes gonna run 15weeks class starting next month. I'll probably see you there.

Old
08-22-2009, 09:42 AM
pnewsom

I wouldn't advise going too cheap on the hockey pants. If you are like me(new to skating), you are likely going to fall a lot, especially learning transitions and backwards cross-overs. This can lead to nagging hip injuries, which can slow down your progress.

I went through this last year, and there was a couple of months that I was hobbling around barely able to climb stairs etc.(I could still play hockey though)

After I replaced my lower priced pants with some better ones(Vapour 40's) and the difference was very noticeable. In addition to the better protection, I also enjoyed better fit, lighter weight, and better cooling.

Starting the game at the age of 53, I know I will never be a good hockey player, but I value my ass as much as anybody out there. You get what you pay for.

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 02:37 PM
CanadaBacon

You dont need to spend more then a 100$ on skates.
You dont need to spend more then 30$ on a stick.
If you spend more then 50$ on ANY piece of protective eq, you are spending too much.
Helmet i would say by a top end one.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 10:19 PM
malkintoews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayK47 View Post
Chad at Rocket ice runs pretty good adult class. I had his class for awhile. I think hes gonna run 15weeks class starting next month. I'll probably see you there.
Hey I'm going to be in that class. Do you play up there?

Old
08-22-2009, 10:21 PM
malkintoews

So, I've added some equipment to the arsenal.

I picked up the Bauer Vapor X30 skates, a pair of Mission M2 pants, some Bauer Vapor gloves/elbows.

I'm on the lookout for some shoulders, shins and sticks now. We will see what happens.

Thanks again for everybody's 2 cents!

Old
08-23-2009, 03:11 PM
JayK47

Quote:
Hey I'm going to be in that class. Do you play up there?
Yes, I do. I also play at Seven Bridges(Woodridge), Artic Ice(Orland Park), and Darien. I think Rocket ice has a best adult learn to play hockey program for the begginers. the class is not too big and intructor(Chad) is a very good teacher. he is willing to work with you more than other instructors I had before. also, rocket ice has best sheet of ice in west & south suburb area.

Old
08-23-2009, 03:49 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
So, I've added some equipment to the arsenal.

I picked up the Bauer Vapor X30 skates, a pair of Mission M2 pants, some Bauer Vapor gloves/elbows.

I'm on the lookout for some shoulders, shins and sticks now. We will see what happens.

Thanks again for everybody's 2 cents!
Shoulder pads-don't buy big, bulky football pads. You're not playing in full contact leagues, most shoulder pads are not designed with minimal protection, breathabilty or movement in mind-they're made to protect guys who do play in contact leagues. I'd try every brand on, cheapest to most expensive, best one to fit combined with price and function should be chosen. Same with shins. Some shins are too bulky, some just do not fit but you need to know what size to buy-very important. If they're too short and you take a slap shot you'll be in a world of hurt. I'd have somebody size you before purchase. Wouldn't buy the cheapest pair but you don't need the high end stuff either at your level of play. I'd use the same advice for a stick as well. You're basically buying blind, which is very difficult and chances are you won't like it. What curve is good for you? What flex? Depends on what type of player you are so if you don't know it takes experimentation. That's probably the worst (or best) part of hockey is that you spend thousands of dollars finding the right equipment and then tinkering as your skill level improves. If you don't believe me I can show you my garage full of sticks, shins, gloves, pants, shields, helmets, it's like a hockey equipment museum, mostly of bad purchases.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote