HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Lockout good for small market teams

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-03-2004, 03:05 PM
  #1
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: LA via Montreal
Posts: 11,824
vCash: 500
Lockout good for small market teams

Because it lets them develop their farms. No?

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
11-03-2004, 03:31 PM
  #2
membleypeg
Registered User
 
membleypeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Because it lets them develop their farms. No?
Could you please elaborate on your point. I believe that it is fair to say that all of the league's farm teams are stronger than usual (with NHL caliber players dotting the lineups). This better competition should improve players on all teams. Why so just the smaller market? Are you thinking that small market teams have traditionally been forced to bring up younger players too soon because of financial reasons?

membleypeg is offline  
Old
11-04-2004, 09:35 AM
  #3
jeffbear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,195
vCash: 500
Short answer ... no.

Reason: Because the small market teams by and large are in non-traditional developing markets, and their fan bases are not deep enough to take the negative impact of a protracted work stoppage without dire consequences.

jeffbear is offline  
Old
11-04-2004, 10:38 AM
  #4
FlyersFan10*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,349
vCash: 500
Well here's something for all of you. What constitutes a small market? I now live in Ottawa where, including suburbs, has a population base of one million people. Vancouver has a population base of almost two million people. Same for Montreal. Yet, those three markets are considered small markets. Someone please explain the rationale behind small markets because I think with markets of at least one million people, you're no longer a small market.

FlyersFan10* is offline  
Old
11-04-2004, 11:58 AM
  #5
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Well here's something for all of you. What constitutes a small market? I now live in Ottawa where, including suburbs, has a population base of one million people. Vancouver has a population base of almost two million people. Same for Montreal. Yet, those three markets are considered small markets. Someone please explain the rationale behind small markets because I think with markets of at least one million people, you're no longer a small market.
It's a combination of thinks.

Things like disposable income come into play, accessability to the population, and attractiveness of the product to the population.

I mean, you could set up an igloo building competetion in NYC in Madison square gardens, but it doesn't mean people will pay a ticket to watch it.

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-04-2004, 03:01 PM
  #6
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,508
vCash: 500
I don't know about the lockout being good for small-market teams, but I think it IS good for teams that felt they were one year away from seriously competing for either A) a playoff spot or B) the Stanley Cup.

There are some teams who might have penciled in a player into their NHL lineup one year before the player was ready, and now they might get the player next year ready for prime time.

Let's just say that predicting the 2005-06 NHL standings, after a full one-year lockout, would be quite the exercise. Who knows what might happen.

Jag68Sid87 is online now  
Old
11-04-2004, 03:05 PM
  #7
porknbeans
Registered User
 
porknbeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,815
vCash: 500
It's a combination of thinks.

Things like disposable income come into play, accessability to the population, and attractiveness of the product to the population.

I mean, you could set up an igloo building competetion in NYC in Madison square gardens, but it doesn't mean people will pay a ticket to watch it.

Ottawa has the highest disposable income in the country, and hockey is number 1 here. So does that make us a small market? I say yes, only population wise, but actual revenue generation, interest, rink/suites etc, we are definitely NOT a small hcokey market.

porknbeans is offline  
Old
11-04-2004, 03:16 PM
  #8
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredsensfan
Ottawa has the highest disposable income in the country, and hockey is number 1 here. So does that make us a small market? I say yes, only population wise, but actual revenue generation, interest, rink/suites etc, we are definitely NOT a small hcokey market.
Not in Canada, no... but even there you are about the 4th largest market (behind Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver), out of 6 teams.

Overall, you'd still be in the bottom half... and the revenue numbers support that.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-04-2004, 04:50 PM
  #9
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Beukeboom Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 12,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Well here's something for all of you. What constitutes a small market?
I think "small market teams" relates more to owners that want to run their teams like a business instead of a toy. Teams like DET, COL & STL all have owners that are willing to fund hockey operations. Those owners aren't necessarily worth more than the owners of teams like CAL, CHI or TB, but the latter teams operate on a budget.

Many "small market teams" are in actually in large metropolitan areas. Teams like CAR, FLA, ATL, & PHO all have a much larger population base to pull fans from compared to teams like MON & VAN. It's just that the "new" teams don't have as established a fan base becuase there is only 10 years of history instead of 30-80 years.

Beukeboom Fan is offline  
Old
11-05-2004, 04:23 PM
  #10
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: LA via Montreal
Posts: 11,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
I don't know about the lockout being good for small-market teams, but I think it IS good for teams that felt they were one year away from seriously competing for either A) a playoff spot or B) the Stanley Cup.

There are some teams who might have penciled in a player into their NHL lineup one year before the player was ready, and now they might get the player next year ready for prime time.

Let's just say that predicting the 2005-06 NHL standings, after a full one-year lockout, would be quite the exercise. Who knows what might happen.
This was my point. The small market teams generally have more talent on the farm. This gives them time to develop it in a stronger AHL.

The established megarich teams players are generally older. A year off may or may not hurt them, it depends. But mentally, I think the younger players will retain their edge while the older guys might not. As we know, to win the cup you need an extra edge mentally.

As for losing fans, I think the small market teams will win them back because they will be more competitive in the short-term and if the NHL gets a good deal they'll be viable in the long run as well.

tinyzombies is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.