HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs vs. Red Army 1975 TSN tonight at 7:30 Eastern

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2004, 09:03 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Gros Bill]It's very difficult to compare different eras. I'll just leave at this : hockey is a very exciting game, and has been for as long as I can remember.

Me, I really enjoyed the Habs-Bruins game 7 from '79, on RDS. In the 3rd period and OT, Lafleur was everywhere - he had a lot of talent, it's true, but it's his determination that really showed through. He really wanted that puck! Robinson was no slouch, either. I'd forgotten that Guy Lapointe got pretty badly injured in that game, too.

And, of course, the Don Cherry melt-down is a classic; I never had much respect for his coaching abilities (or his thoughts on hockey, for that matter) after that sorry spectacle.

So all in all, a very enjoyable game [/QUOTE Good point on the level of determination. Watching the Red Army game, it remnided me how certain palyers were just pure competitors. You can reminisce about Cournoyer's speed and explosiveness but his best attribute was that he just wanted to score more than the guy opposite him. You can say that for most of that 70's team, including the Tremblay's and Risebrough's.

Old
11-05-2004, 04:29 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
Yeah but as a habs fan wouldn't you think that dominating against the best team in the world in the soviets and winning 4 straight cups is a lot more exciting to watch then watching todays hockey where Habs cant get through the conference semifinals?

Oh and does anybody else agree that it was a lot more wide open hockey back then and the players were much better passers then now?
It was exciting the first couple of years, but then it became a bit boring since they were always winning. And Bowman employed a more boring trapping style in the last couple years.

Closed Thread