HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Random question about hockey skates and ankle pain.

Old
08-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Biggzy*

vCash: 500
Random question about hockey skates and ankle pain.

I have a question about my skates. I bought some cheap Bauer Vapors a couple years ago when I started playing hockey again. After a few months I started to get some pain in the front of my ankle it felt like it was from the laces or something. Anyways, since then I just wrapped my skates with tape around the ankles and its been much better. But it would be nice to not have to do this anymore.

My question is, is it just because I bought some cheap skates? I played when I was younger for quite a few years and never had this problem. So I'm thinking of investing in a new pair if it will help.

Anyone else have this problem?

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 01:49 PM
noobman

This sounds like lace bite to me. You might be tying the top of your skates too tightly. Tape around the ankles might be masking the issue, since you're just reducing the range of motion for your ankle (bad for your stride).

I'm waiting for Maltese Hockey to re-stock on GPS Lace Bite pads. I"ve tried everything, but I can't seem to get relief from the problem.

In the meantime, check out some of the following links:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=lace+bite

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Biggzy*

Thanks noobman. Yeah its definitely lace bite. Still not sure what I should do though. I guess I'll look around for some of those gel things.

Old
08-21-2009, 04:13 PM
AIREAYE

, I only get lace bite if I tie the top laces too tight, have you tried to tie them at about 1/2 depth? It's what i do, but then again, my skates are pretty old and the surfaces are pretty tough

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 05:48 PM
LilWinger11

Try looking for Bunga pads. They're marketed toward figure skaters but I know guys who have used them in hockey skates and say they're great. I'm pretty sure there's one specifically for lace bite. Rainbosports.com might have them.

Cheap skates might be part of the problem, if the lower-end Vapors have less padding on the tongue than the higher models. Adding a lace-bite pad should help with that though. What model are you in?

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 06:33 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
Try looking for Bunga pads. They're marketed toward figure skaters but I know guys who have used them in hockey skates and say they're great. I'm pretty sure there's one specifically for lace bite. Rainbosports.com might have them.

Cheap skates might be part of the problem, if the lower-end Vapors have less padding on the tongue than the higher models. Adding a lace-bite pad should help with that though. What model are you in?
lace bite is lace bite, can get it from any skate.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Canadiens1958

Clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
I have a question about my skates. I bought some cheap Bauer Vapors a couple years ago when I started playing hockey again. After a few months I started to get some pain in the front of my ankle it felt like it was from the laces or something. Anyways, since then I just wrapped my skates with tape around the ankles and its been much better. But it would be nice to not have to do this anymore.

My question is, is it just because I bought some cheap skates? I played when I was younger for quite a few years and never had this problem. So I'm thinking of investing in a new pair if it will help.

Anyone else have this problem?
You have two ankles. So was the pain identical in both(intensity and location)?

If you ever injured one of your ankles and did not adjust for the injury then problems tend to arise over time.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
You have two ankles. So was the pain identical in both(intensity and location)?

If you ever injured one of your ankles and did not adjust for the injury then problems tend to arise over time.
I've never injured either of my ankles.

I actually only get lace bite on my right ankle which is odd.

Old
08-26-2009, 01:35 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Yeah, bunga pads or something similar are your best bet. Maltese gel pads are basically the same thing as the bunga ones, both are gel pads that go on the front of your ankle.

What I've done in the past when I was having a problem with it (took a shot and my ankle became rather sensitive), was to buy some craft foam (about a buck a sheet), cut out two pieces, shred some more, and staple the two pieces mostly together, shove the shredded stuff in, and staple it fully together. It was a pretty effective pad and only cost me a buck and a few staples.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Canadiens1958

Shoes

Quote:
I've never injured either of my ankles.

I actually only get lace bite on my right ankle which is odd.
Look at your shoes. Doubt that the level of wear will be identical after a few months. If your right leg is your power leg and your right shoe shows more wear, experiment with the way you lace your right skate. Also contouring or skate blade adjustments may help.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Look at your shoes. Doubt that the level of wear will be identical after a few months. If your right leg is your power leg and your right shoe shows more wear, experiment with the way you lace your right skate. Also contouring or skate blade adjustments may help.
The level of wear on shoes that you're talking about is either pronation or supination, both of which have little to no bearing on your legs.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 05:54 PM
sabresEH

Your problem is that your skates dont fit you properly. Your instep probably isnt deep enough for you and when you tie your skates the result is lace bite. Also never tape around your ankles or tie your laces around your ankle. All it takes is one rut in the ice and you'll tear your achilles tendon.

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Biggzy*

Ok guys, thanks for all your help. I made the trip today to Coral Springs, which is about an hour away from where I live, and got some skates. I must say, its a damn good thing I did. I must've tried on 10 different pairs and various sizes. They were extremely knowledgeable, and recommended I get a skate that was smaller than the size I normally played with. It felt a bit snug but I think it should good. I'm gonna try them out tomorrow.

I ended up going with the Bauer One55. Decently affordable and they felt comfortable, they're a little more stiff than Vapors (which is what I'm used to), but I should be good to go.

Old
08-30-2009, 12:39 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Ok guys, thanks for all your help. I made the trip today to Coral Springs, which is about an hour away from where I live, and got some skates. I must say, its a damn good thing I did. I must've tried on 10 different pairs and various sizes. They were extremely knowledgeable, and recommended I get a skate that was smaller than the size I normally played with. It felt a bit snug but I think it should good. I'm gonna try them out tomorrow.

I ended up going with the Bauer One55. Decently affordable and they felt comfortable, they're a little more stiff than Vapors (which is what I'm used to), but I should be good to go.
To Clarify, they're stiffer then the vapors you've been skating in. Vapors covers a lot of ground, from cheap low end ones like you have to the X:60, which will be rock hard at retail stiffness, and can be made custom twice as stiff as that.

And if you were fitted in the one55s, it does mean that your vapors would have been too shallow for you.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote