HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Signing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-21-2009, 10:38 AM
  #26
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Ever heard of depth players? Like it or not, we need to flesh out Milwaukee's roster. That's a big part of any affiliation agreement.

Jones got a one-way deal, and O'Reilly will likely get a one-way deal. Wilson is very likely to crack the NHL roster. Goc will most likely be in Milwaukee.

Poile is not done. We still have at least one more player to sign. It is disappointing that he's pursuing depth forwards when they would likely still be available in a week or so, but this doesn't mean we can't still sign Sykora or Lang or someone else.
I think Goc has a better chance of making the team than Guite, Olvecky or Eaves, honestly. I'd be shocked if this wasn't a nashville signing, considering he's basically an upgraded Scott Nichol.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:45 AM
  #27
Preds Partisan
Nothing
 
Preds Partisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 705
vCash: 500
Poile adding yet another first round bust (Jessiman # 12 2003, Goc #20 2001) into the fold.

Excellent pickup for 5th line center.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:49 AM
  #28
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,565
vCash: 500
Goc has some talent though. He is pretty much Greg Johnson to be honest in terms of skill set. We can always use a guy like that on the team. He can't finish, but when have we ever had a true finisher (Radulov excluded).

I wonder if Poile is still trying to get his hands on Upshall. I really thought he was coming back to Nashville last year.....

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:52 AM
  #29
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I think Goc has a better chance of making the team than Guite, Olvecky or Eaves, honestly. I'd be shocked if this wasn't a nashville signing, considering he's basically an upgraded Scott Nichol.
That was a typo, I meant to say he would most likely NOT be in Milwaukee.


Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 08-21-2009 at 11:36 AM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 11:07 AM
  #30
Soundgarden
Registered User
 
Soundgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 500
Good replacement for Nichol.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 11:29 AM
  #31
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Poile adding yet another first round bust (Jessiman # 12 2003, Goc #20 2001) into the fold.

Excellent pickup for 5th line center.
he's better than Jerred Smithson,a nd fits the lower lines better than Hornqvist, Jones or O'Reilly...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 11:32 AM
  #32
Sanderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 4,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Poile adding yet another first round bust (Jessiman # 12 2003, Goc #20 2001) into the fold.

Excellent pickup for 5th line center.
I wouldn't call him a bust. A bust is someone who fails completely, Goc didn't meet all the expectations, but he's a solid defensive forward, who shouldn't be put on a scoring line but doesn't hurt your team. Definately capable of playing 10-15 minutes per game on NHL level. Not totally inept at creating scoring chances, but completely lost his shot when Thornton arrived in San Jose.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 11:38 AM
  #33
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I wonder if Poile is still trying to get his hands on Upshall. I really thought he was coming back to Nashville last year.....
Well he can stop trying. The Coyotes are in love with Upshall.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 11:46 AM
  #34
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
I wouldn't call him a bust. A bust is someone who fails completely, Goc didn't meet all the expectations, but he's a solid defensive forward, who shouldn't be put on a scoring line but doesn't hurt your team. Definately capable of playing 10-15 minutes per game on NHL level. Not totally inept at creating scoring chances, but completely lost his shot when Thornton arrived in San Jose.
Agreed. A guy who plays over 250 games in the nhl and has been a consistent NHLer isnt really a bust

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 12:22 PM
  #35
lightning_legwand*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
How do these lines look,


Dumont Arnott Sully
Ward Leggy Erat
Jones Wilson Tootoo
Belak Goc Guite


So if O'Reilly signs, which he better!!, where does him and Smithson fit in??


Also, if we do bring in a top 6 forward, which we very much so need, does Guite or Belak get bumped??


I just dont get why we are signing a guy like Goc for essentially .6 million, when we could sign a Comrie or Afino or Sykora for like another .5!


Simple,

If we didnt sign Goc, Eaves, Guite and Olvecky, (I know some are two way contracts), but we could have EASILY signed Prospal, or one of those guys I just named. We have enough, if not too much, depth without adding those new guys as I showed in my lines up above.

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 12:49 PM
  #36
cjerina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
I just dont get why we are signing a guy like Goc for essentially .6 million, when we could sign a Comrie or Afino or Sykora for like another .5!


Simple,

If we didnt sign Goc, Eaves, Guite and Olvecky, (I know some are two way contracts), but we could have EASILY signed Prospal, or one of those guys I just named. We have enough, if not too much, depth without adding those new guys as I showed in my lines up above.


cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 01:07 PM
  #37
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,971
vCash: 500
I don't know a thing about Goc, not a thing. The folks saying he is good defensively with speed make him sound intriguing. I was a bit bummed at first, because hearing he had a good faceoff percentage, I feel pretty sure he's going to be on the big club, not Milwaukee.

It looks like we're probably going to find a linemate for Erat and Legwand, and our third line, out of what we have. Sigh. Oh well. Time for our prospects to prove they have what it takes. Lots of opportunity in Nashville this year. Hopefully Ward, Jones and O'Reilly and Wilson can do it. Goc sounds like a third liner when that line is set up for defense. Otherwise on the bench and maybe do some penalty kills and defensive zone faceoffs.

We needed a faceoff and defensive zone guy. So if Goc makes the club in that role Poile got something we need at a good price. Guite supposedly has some of the same abilities on defense and faceoffs.

Reminds me of reading an article in Field and Stream magazine admonishing hunters about not wasting good parts from a harvested animal, such as the heart and kidneys and liver. The writer's buddies named his hunting camp concoction "gut pile stew" and said it was really delicious. The Predators are trying to pick over the leavings and make a delicious gut pile stew.


Last edited by OpenWheel: 08-21-2009 at 01:31 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 01:10 PM
  #38
lightning_legwand*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post

It doesn't make sense?? We "REALLY" need 5 Smithsons??

Sure some of these FOURTH liners are a bit better than others, but we need a top 6 forward more than anything.


Good signing, but get a top 6 forward Poile! lol It doesnt look good

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 03:09 PM
  #39
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
It doesn't make sense?? We "REALLY" need 5 Smithsons??

Sure some of these FOURTH liners are a bit better than others, but we need a top 6 forward more than anything.


Good signing, but get a top 6 forward Poile! lol It doesnt look good
Please stop talking. You don't have a clue.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 05:25 PM
  #40
lightning_legwand*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Please stop talking. You don't have a clue.
HAHA!

Well what makes more sense to you my friend,

Dumont Arnott Sully
Ward Legwand Erat
Jones Wilson Tootoo
Belak Guite Goc Olvecky Eaves Smithson Hornqvist O'Reilly (if he signs) and he better!


-OR-

Dumont Arnott Sully
Prospal Legwand Erat
Jones Wilson Ward
Belak Smithson Tootoo


Seems like the second lineup is a bitter better eh?



And what do ya think would be cheaper for our poor poor poor owners?

Signing Olvecky, Guite, Goc, and Eaves or jsut simply sign Prospal or whomever???


We have more depth, I understand, but with guys like Hornqvist, O'Reilly, Spaling, Santorelli, etc etc do we REALLY need a Guite? or a Olvecky??



I think having two dangerous lines would be the right choice..

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 05:43 PM
  #41
jstreet
Smashville
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 8,176
vCash: 7932
I know we need depth, it is very important.

But Im not entirely in disagreement with lightning on this one. I was so happy to shed some of our 4th liners this past offseason because it seems for the past little while we have been carrying way too many and plugging them into places where they might possibly overachieve for a while.

I thought this was going to be our chance to upgrade a few but it seems like we let them walk just so we could turn around and replace them all with comparable players. I know there are legitimate reasons for doing so..but I was just..you know...hoping...

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 05:48 PM
  #42
lightning_legwand*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
I know we need depth, it is very important.

But Im not entirely in disagreement with lightning on this one. I was so happy to shed some of our 4th liners this past offseason because it seems for the past little while we have been carrying way too many and plugging them into places where they might possibly overachieve for a while.

I thought this was going to be our chance to upgrade a few but it seems like we let them walk just so we could turn around and replace them all with comparable players. I know there are legitimate reasons for doing so..but I was just..you know...hoping...

Thank you! I felt it was a great point myself.



Also,

I have this quote from worstfaceoffmaneuver,


""Yay, more useless grinders! And here I thought we would finally be rid of most of them... silly me.""


So looks like another preds poster agrees with me as well! This link can be found on the trade rumours board under "Nashville signs Goc thread".


http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=674065




It just doesnt make sense! why bring in middle aged guys to replace our young talents?? Also, why not leave those 4th liners alone and just sign ONE KEY PLAYER! to actually make a difference.

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 06:54 PM
  #43
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,565
vCash: 500
I consider Goc a good signing. Does that mean it replaces the need for a 2nd line winger? No, but this signing on its own, is a good thing. Relax.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 07:09 PM
  #44
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
HAHA!
Well what makes more sense to you my friend,

Dumont Arnott Sully
Ward Legwand Erat
Jones Wilson Tootoo
Belak Guite Goc Olvecky Eaves Smithson Hornqvist O'Reilly (if he signs) and he better!

-OR-

Dumont Arnott Sully
Prospal Legwand Erat
Jones Wilson Ward
Belak Smithson Tootoo

Seems like the second lineup is a bitter better eh?
Hmm...I like my lineup(s) better and see them as better possibilities than what you put out...

With our current roster (assuming O'Reilly re-signs - I highly doubt he won't):
Sullivan - Arnott - Dumont
Legwand - O'Reilly - Erat
Jones - Goc - Ward
Smithson - Guite - Tootoo
Belak - Eaves/Olvecky/Hornqvist

Or what I assume we will be looking at come camp:
Sullivan - Arnott - Dumont
UFA or Tryout - Legwand - Erat
Jones - O'Reilly - Ward
Guite - Goc - Tootoo
Belak - Smithson

Competition for playing time brings out the best in everyone...it is rarely a distraction or an issue.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 09:47 AM
  #45
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,565
vCash: 500
I like the above. I am pretty sure we will bring in a tryout. I also believe Wilson will go to Milwuakee to start the season unless he is unbelievable.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 09:55 AM
  #46
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I like the above. I am pretty sure we will bring in a tryout. I also believe Wilson will go to Milwuakee to start the season unless he is unbelievable.
he is an american bad ass

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 10:02 AM
  #47
echlfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 975
vCash: 500
IN todays paper Poile answers all our questions about the Sykoras and Tanguays of the world. "but right now the feeling is that's what we'll go with.''

The never say never part is just him protecting his own butt by making it look like he is open to other players coming in.

Question: Why do the Predators think if they delete qualities players every year then it will actually make them better? When you don't have much to start with then you take away, it doesn't all of a sudden turn you into a playoff team.

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 10:06 AM
  #48
zecke26
Registered User
 
zecke26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I consider Goc a good signing. Does that mean it replaces the need for a 2nd line winger? No, but this signing on its own, is a good thing. Relax.
especially for around 500k and a 2way contract.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 01:30 PM
  #49
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Question: Why do the Predators think if they delete qualities players every year then it will actually make them better? When you don't have much to start with then you take away, it doesn't all of a sudden turn you into a playoff team.
Who was the quality player off of last year's roster which was 'deleted'?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 01:49 PM
  #50
echlfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 975
vCash: 500
maybe 3 of your top 7 D...or two of your best PK's...or 3 of your best FO%????

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.