HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Gameplay vs Practice

Old
08-22-2009, 04:30 PM
noobman

vCash: 500
Gameplay vs Practice

Hey all,

I'm a little torn between what to do for hockey this winter. I have night school all throughout the fall, then full time work in the winter.

I know for sure that I'll have Saturday night hockey (just a group of guys I know, 1hr), plus any shinny or open ice sessions I want to go to.

I have two options that I can't seem to choose from:

1) Switch a Wednesday night class (sports psych, way cool) to a Wednesday morning class (gothic horror, not quite as cool but cute girls are a dime a dozen LOL) and play in a league on Wednesday night

2) Keep the Wednesday night class and do Powerskating on Tuesday mornings (6am!)

They're both good options. The powerskating is probably better in the long run but the league would be more fun!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 04:52 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Hey all,

I'm a little torn between what to do for hockey this winter. I have night school all throughout the fall, then full time work in the winter.

I know for sure that I'll have Saturday night hockey (just a group of guys I know, 1hr), plus any shinny or open ice sessions I want to go to.

I have two options that I can't seem to choose from:

1) Switch a Wednesday night class (sports psych, way cool) to a Wednesday morning class (gothic horror, not quite as cool but cute girls are a dime a dozen LOL) and play in a league on Wednesday night

2) Keep the Wednesday night class and do Powerskating on Tuesday mornings (6am!)

They're both good options. The powerskating is probably better in the long run but the league would be more fun!
Cute girls? I know what I would do

I don't know. Not getting game time in might bother me, but if you think you're at a stage where you're still going to benefit from powerskating than you should probably do that, get in a league the next time you have a chance and be a better player for it. Plus I hate morning classes almost as much as I love cute girls.

SERE 24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 05:19 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
Cute girls? I know what I would do

I don't know. Not getting game time in might bother me, but if you think you're at a stage where you're still going to benefit from powerskating than you should probably do that, get in a league the next time you have a chance and be a better player for it. Plus I hate morning classes almost as much as I love cute girls.

Well I'm an OK mens league player... I'm sort of a middle-of-the-pack C level forward. I'm one of the better guys in D level, so I prefer to drop back to defense where I'm much less effective (but much more challenged)

Of course, I could just forget about buying a PS3 and do both the Tuesday and Wednesday

My goal is to hopefully play B (even if I'm the worst guy on the ice) before I get old and decline...

Old
08-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Semper Sens

Forget the PS3 then! Hockey is so much more awesome than just playing video games. When people asking you what you play, they'll be more impressed with B-level hockey than "I'm pretty good at COD4". A sweet goal is so much more satisfying then getting a nice kill in whatever game, plus easier to share with others. I once put together a really ****ing sweet combo in SplinterCell 2 and when I told my buddy, he looked at me like I had two heads. That's when I remembered, oh yeah, video games mean nothing to 75% of the population. You get a sick goal in hockey, people will at least listen, even if they don't follow hockey.

BTW, you're in Ottawa, right? What men's league do you play in? I'm not old enough of yet, but I will be in a few years and I've never heard of any men's league here higher than organized pick-up. Do you have to tryout?

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 12:32 AM
hkyplayer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
Forget the PS3 then! Hockey is so much more awesome than just playing video games. When people asking you what you play, they'll be more impressed with B-level hockey than "I'm pretty good at COD4". A sweet goal is so much more satisfying then getting a nice kill in whatever game, plus easier to share with others. I once put together a really ****ing sweet combo in SplinterCell 2 and when I told my buddy, he looked at me like I had two heads. That's when I remembered, oh yeah, video games mean nothing to 75% of the population. You get a sick goal in hockey, people will at least listen, even if they don't follow hockey.

BTW, you're in Ottawa, right? What men's league do you play in? I'm not old enough of yet, but I will be in a few years and I've never heard of any men's league here higher than organized pick-up. Do you have to tryout?

haha I'm in the same dilemma. Buy the ps3 or enter mens league in winter and do power skating. Since I've been doing a ton of power skating, mens league, and shinny in the summer I've improved by so much and am just hooked on hockey. Forget about the ps3.

hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 01:51 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
To be fair, I already have a 360 (which I use exclusively for NHL games) and just wanted the PS3 for BluRay. I guess I can live with watching DVDs
Quote:
You're about a year off... I moved back to Toronto last September I was supposed to be there until December of 08 but my co-op term was cut short (darn recession). I really miss that place.

Old
08-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Semper Sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
You're about a year off... I moved back to Toronto last September I was supposed to be there until December of 08 but my co-op term was cut short (darn recession). I really miss that place.
Lol, that kind of makes me feel better... It always disturbs me when I know where someone lives on here. Need to reduce time online.

If you do decide you need to choose between the powerskating and the league, that's a real tough one. Maybe someone here who's taken a powerskating course can fill us in on what they will train. I've been wanting to take a powerskating class for a long time, but I always thought they would work only on conditioning and top end speed. I am much more interested in learning to turn tighter and accelerate quicker. Both would be sweet though.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 10:27 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Power skating, definitely. Improve your skating, and your game will follow. No matter how skilled you get, or how good you are on the ice, it's going to be increasingly harder to play in an upper/better levels if you can't skate/keep up.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote