Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshea View Post
He seems to be a lot of smoke and mirrors, but he's getting results. 1 thing we do know about him is that nothing phases him. He's been put in some tough situations, and has passed each test. He's got a good head above his shoulders, now it's just a matter of working on the pitches, particularly location. He also seems to fall behind a lot of batters, but that's generally the MO of most young pitchers, and should correct itself with time.
He kinda reminds me of a young young young Greg Maddux. Not the best stuff in the world, but with the deception that can get people out.

Now lets hope he can turn into that. Though, he might be better suited for the NL.

Old
08-22-2009, 05:29 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
The Yankees are all but a lock for the division and 100+ games but give me a 7 game series with Beckett and Lester against CC and Burnett, the Sox lineup we have been watching the last couple of days, and I believe the Sox have a 50-50 shot- and so don't my Yankee friends (who want the Sox out of the playoffs for that reason)

Old
08-22-2009, 05:35 PM
RealKrug47*

12-0 Red Sox

Old
08-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
The Yankees are all but a lock for the division and 100+ games but give me a 7 game series with Beckett and Lester against CC and Burnett, the Sox lineup we have been watching the last couple of days, and I believe the Sox have a 50-50 shot- and so don't my Yankee friends (who want the Sox out of the playoffs for that reason)
Until CC shows me he can pitch a game in the playfoffs, I'll take my chances against him everytime.

Old
08-22-2009, 06:37 PM
ksp1957

vCash: 361
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruWINS View Post
12-0 Red Sox
14-1 final. Give me one more game like this tomorrow and I can talk some smack Monday at work.

Old
08-22-2009, 07:10 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Wow...did not realize he would be a type A....actually never considered it. Now both Minaya and myself are dolts.
Funny, but I'd be surprised if Minaya even thought of that.

He sealed his own fate.

Everyone knew Delgado was not going to repeat last year. Also, Ibanez and Lowe both would have preferred to play here, but Minaya tried to get both at a year less (always out thinks himself).

Actually thought a Tatis/Murphy combo would be OK in left, and Ryan Church OK in right.

Signed Castillo to a 4 year, 24 mil deal when nobody else had an offer on the table.

Brand new stadium, and with the spending of about 20 mil more this year, Texierra, Lowe and Ibanez all could have been Mets. Trust me though, Bernie Maydoff screwed Met fans when he lost the small fortune too....

Injuries in Omar's defense have killed this team, as the "big four" all played in only 25 games together, going 15-10....but they still weren't good enough IMO.

Old
08-23-2009, 10:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
14-1 is much more like it. Great way for the Sox to put their foot down. Now hopefully Beckett can out duel CC and stay automatic at Fenway.

Old
08-23-2009, 10:17 AM
FutureConsiderations

Billy Wagner's agent's name is Bean Stringfellow. Just thought I'd share.

Old
08-23-2009, 10:33 AM
ksp1957

vCash: 361
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Billy Wagner's agent's name is Bean Stringfellow. Just thought I'd share.
His parents must have had QUITE the sense of humor. That even outdoes Dweezil and Moon Unit Zappa.

Old
08-23-2009, 10:47 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
His parents must have had QUITE the sense of humor. That even outdoes Dweezil and Moon Unit Zappa.
In those cases, the last name just answers any questions.

"Your name is what?! Oh... Zappa. Got it."

Old
08-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Ivyy13
Resu Deretsiger

Should be a good one tonight. Beckett looking to stay undefeated at home.

Old
08-23-2009, 04:43 PM
LyndonByers

Well Papelbon shows his mentality once again. Calling out a player who may have been his teamate within a couple of days through the media. I don't care what kind of person or player Billy Wagner is, you can't do that. I will not be disappointed when the Sox get rid of this guy. I don't care how good he is, the guy is a very hard player to cheer for.

Old
08-23-2009, 05:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndonByers View Post
Well Papelbon shows his mentality once again. Calling out a player who may have been his teamate within a couple of days through the media. I don't care what kind of person or player Billy Wagner is, you can't do that. I will not be disappointed when the Sox get rid of this guy. I don't care how good he is, the guy is a very hard player to cheer for.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4417456

(link)

Old
08-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Nicholas723

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
What's wrong with Paps stating he just doesn't want another Gagne Situation?

Old
08-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndonByers View Post
I honestly think some of the Paps haters just look for stuff to bash him on. There is nothing wrong with what he said here.

Old
08-23-2009, 06:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I'm not a Papelbon hater because I know he gets the job done, but I think sometimes he should just stay quiet.

Old
08-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Yes he opens his mouth about stuff, and it gets old, but what both of you neglected to mention, is that Delcarman said essentially the same thing, only added more "meat" to it in my eyes, yet takes no flak.

Old
08-23-2009, 06:49 PM
cshea

I'm not a Papelbon guy, but he does have a point. Wagner is 38, coming off TJ surgery and has pitched a grand total of 1 MLB inning this year. Nobody really knows what to expect out of Wagner. Is he healthy? Can he pitch effectively? Where would he fit? The Red Sox have the best bullpen in baseball, and with the exception of Daniel Bard, they've all had the same roles since spring training. Bard's bounced back and forth between setup man and low leverage guy (where he currently is) but everyone else has remained the same. The only change is we subtracted Justin Masterson and have added a revolving door of sacrificial lambs that get hammered, then DFA'd (Cabrera, Traber, Gonzalez, etc.). Wagner could possibly shake up the routine these guys have been in all season long, and it's a big risk to take if he's insisting on the $8 million option being picked up.

Old
08-23-2009, 06:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
Yes he opens his mouth about stuff, and it gets old, but what both of you neglected to mention, is that Delcarman said essentially the same thing, only added more "meat" to it in my eyes, yet takes no flak.
No one should open their mouth. Just throw the ball. Delcarmen doesn't run his mouth though, and is potentially less innings for him.

Old
08-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheBruinsFan90 View Post
Oh Lord, don't say that name!

Old
08-23-2009, 07:29 PM
LyndonByers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheBruinsFan90 View Post
I am sure none of the Sox want another Gagne situation. But if he feels that way about Wagner why not go see Theo or Francona & voice his opinion behind closed doors & not through the media. That way if the front office make the transaction for Wagner he don't see what some of his new teamates think of his acquisition.

As for why Papelbon & not Delcarmen? Papelbon has a history of these type of comments while Delcarmen does not. Both of them should of voiced there opinion to the brass & not through the media.

Old
08-23-2009, 07:53 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshea View Post
I'm not a Papelbon guy, but he does have a point. Wagner is 38, coming off TJ surgery and has pitched a grand total of 1 MLB inning this year. Nobody really knows what to expect out of Wagner. Is he healthy? Can he pitch effectively? Where would he fit? The Red Sox have the best bullpen in baseball, and with the exception of Daniel Bard, they've all had the same roles since spring training. Bard's bounced back and forth between setup man and low leverage guy (where he currently is) but everyone else has remained the same. The only change is we subtracted Justin Masterson and have added a revolving door of sacrificial lambs that get hammered, then DFA'd (Cabrera, Traber, Gonzalez, etc.). Wagner could possibly shake up the routine these guys have been in all season long, and it's a big risk to take if he's insisting on the $8 million option being picked up.
not to mention Smoltz, cshea

Old
08-23-2009, 08:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Beckett needs to stop giving up home runs.

Old
08-23-2009, 09:12 PM
FutureConsiderations

Despite the fact that he has a point, Papelbon needs to keep his mouth shut on this one. Can you imagine the uproar around here if Thomas voiced his hesitation over getting another potential #1 goalie because he doesn't want it to be another Manny Fernandez situation? If Tito or Theo want his opinion, they'll ask him.

Old
08-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

THere is something off with Beckett's mechanics lately. You don't go from giving up 10 HR's in 22 starts, to 9 in your last 3. His curve ball has been atrocious, especially tonight.

Closed Thread