HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Marleau stripped of the C: Let the rumours fly...

Old
08-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
Thornton + Marleau for Halak

Modano lost his "C" last season and he's still with dallas
that wasn't last season, it was 3 or 4 seasons ago.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
that wasn't last season, it was 3 or 4 seasons ago.
Then he must have lost it twice, cause I'm fairly certain he lost it to Derian Hatcher as well back in the day.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 07:58 PM
sampollock

sj talked after last year, THEY were to make big changes, and so then zip...

more bark then bite?

sampollock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I personally feel that this is an unnecessary public shot at Marleau (and Thornton) unless the motive is to make them wave their NTC. True that someone has to pay for their early exit from last year's playoffs, but where were the other players?

I was not in favour of the move when Mike Modano got stripped of the C in Dallas a few years ago and I still am not in favour of this move. Trade the guy(s) instead of publicly insulting him like that.

My two cents.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I personally feel that this is an unnecessary public shot at Marleau (and Thornton) unless the motive is to make them wave their NTC. True that someone has to pay for their early exit from last year's playoffs, but where were the other players?

I was not in favour of the move when Mike Modano got stripped of the C in Dallas a few years ago and I still am not in favour of this move. Trade the guy(s) instead of publicly insulting him like that.

My two cents.
Seems that he loves to be insulted....

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...h-breves.shtml

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Seems that he loves to be insulted....

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...h-breves.shtml
Modano had a similar reaction. It still doesn't make it right in my opinion, but reactions like that truly show that they're making a mistake as players like him truly put the team ahead of personal gratification.

Old
08-18-2009, 10:45 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
I don't like this Marleau craze (though it's nothing compared to the Sundin one). However...

I find it hard to keep a player in your team after you stripped him of his C. Maybe some other posters, more knowledgeable can point me to cases where the team took the C from a player who was captain for a while and kept him afterwards with success. There are probably cases but not many.

So it is a sign that Marleau might get traded. Habs or not ...remains to be seen.
Lecavalier
Elias

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Brokencow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
I find it hard to keep a player in your team after you stripped him of his C. Maybe some other posters, more knowledgeable can point me to cases where the team took the C from a player who was captain for a while and kept him afterwards with success. There are probably cases but not many.
Patrik Elias, Vincent Lecavalier, and somewhat Mike Modano come to mind. Normally people don't get their captaincy taken away, they just get traded.

Brokencow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 05:26 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
my dream lineup (realistically)

Kostitsyn - Marleau - Cammalleri
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Latendresse - Lapierre - Moen
Stewart - Chipchura - D'Agostini
dream on.

I felt like I had to.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 08-19-2009 at 05:37 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 06:37 PM
tinyzombies

Not to be too cynical, but Marleau is in a contract year and will be roiding it up. I watch him play all the time. He'd be great for our transition game now that we have a couple guys who can move the puck. Not my kind of player though, regardless. Lacking in the ticker department.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Fredwreck

I'd be all for it as long as Halak isn't included in the trade, building a strong D and offense at the expense of our goaltending and leaving mister "shaky confidence" who needs more of a psychologist than a coach to guard the net with that Sanford guy would be really sad...

That and Marleau is quite the magician in the playoffs, meaning that he vanishes like the best of them (granted that wouldn't be any different than plek in the last 2 years)

Oh yeah and I couldn't agree more with THE HOFF, Chipchura should go play in Europe(or anywhere else he feels like he could do something), I'd take Metropolit 10 times over him especially with how he played last year in the playoffs for us.

Fredwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Not to be too cynical, but Marleau is in a contract year and will be roiding it up. I watch him play all the time. He'd be great for our transition game now that we have a couple guys who can move the puck. Not my kind of player though, regardless. Lacking in the ticker department.
Marleau has always been a players whose talents do not add up to a great player. If you want to piece together a player, he essentially has it all something lacks. All the tools, no tool box type of player. Not to extent he isn't a very good player just one you always expect more because you know the ability is their.

Likely it is in the head and in the heart however lacking in either tends especially in Montreal 99% of the time will result if disaster.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 07:13 PM
sampollock

Quote:

My two cents.
why would you want to play for the sharks, after this public bashing,

mtl could use one of them

sampollock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Would you give up Plekanec (UFA to be), Halak and a prospect like Pacioretty for Marleau?

What if Marleau was signed for a few more seasons, would you change your mind?

Mind you, we'd still have to clear a couple of millions off the cap if I'm not mistaken... but value-wise, fair or no-fair?

EDIT: You'd have the following pairings for the top two lines, with others like AK, SK, Latendresse and D'Agostini fighting for the other two spots...

? - Gomez - Gionta
Cammalleri - Marleau - ?

Last edited by Habsterix*: 08-21-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old
08-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Would you give up Plekanec (UFA to be), Halak and a prospect like Pacioretty for Marleau?

Mind you, we'd still have to clear a couple of millions off the cap if I'm not mistaken... but value-wise, fair or no-fair?
Nope. Neither of them.

Pleks, Halak and Pacs for one year of Marleau ? No thanks.

Pleks, Halak, Pacs+ players needed to clear space for Marleau signed long term No thanks.

I'd trade something like that for say Martin Hanzal.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 01:02 AM
The Nightman

Quote:

I would never do the trade for Marleau if he is not signed, losing a potential power forward in Pacioretty and a player like Plekanec who I believe will rebound after his off season. Marleau is great, big, quick and has a good shot but his leadership skills are probably lacking and is not known for his playoff performances

If Marleau was signed I would take more time to think about it, we would be replacing a small center in Plekanec for a big one in Marleau(which is what we have been looking for) but we have to keep in consideration our future, we would have Price, s.Kostitsyn and Latendresse that we still would have to resign at the end of the season. Even if Marleau could be what we need, i wouldn't put our future in jeapordy for an expensive Marleau

The Nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 04:08 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABbiest View Post
I would never do the trade for Marleau if he is not signed, losing a potential power forward in Pacioretty and a player like Plekanec who I believe will rebound after his off season. Marleau is great, big, quick and has a good shot but his leadership skills are probably lacking and is not known for his playoff performances

If Marleau was signed I would take more time to think about it, we would be replacing a small center in Plekanec for a big one in Marleau(which is what we have been looking for) but we have to keep in consideration our future, we would have Price, s.Kostitsyn and Latendresse that we still would have to resign at the end of the season. Even if Marleau could be what we need, i wouldn't put our future in jeapordy for an expensive Marleau
He's not quick, he's fast straight ahead. Has zero agility. I would do the trade only to turn around and get something better for him.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Pascal

what is this even about? Marleau with the Habs makes no sense, we have no more cap space.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
what is this even about? Marleau with the Habs makes no sense, we have no more cap space.
Trade = salary in, salary out. Just saying... we're not talking about a UFA signing here.

Old
08-22-2009, 10:26 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Trade = salary in, salary out. Just saying... we're not talking about a UFA signing here.
In the suggested trade though, we are taking in twice as much salary as we are giving away and we would need to sign a backup goaltender, which would likely be twice as what Halak is earning.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 11:52 AM
RC51

WOW Marleau stripped of the captaincy
Branded as wimp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXlUS5-ag_g

Last edited by RC51: 08-22-2009 at 12:02 PM.
RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

If guys like Modano and Marleau are stripped of their captaincy and react like "it's no big deal" then it means the hockey guys were right in doing so. Somebody that has actual pride would take it personaly and at least get mad about it.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
If guys like Modano and Marleau are stripped of their captaincy and react like "it's no big deal" then it means the hockey guys were right in doing so. Somebody that has actual pride would take it personaly and at least get mad about it.
I strongly disagree. A team player who puts his team ahead of personal gratification will tone it down and say what's politically correct in front of the media. Deep inside, at home or what he tells his closest friends might be very, very different.

If you still ****, you become labeled as a **** disturber.

Old
08-25-2009, 12:26 AM
Ginu

Surprised nobody's brought this up, but apparently Marleau refused to waive his NTC at some point today to go to Ottawa in a 3 team trade, presumed to include Montreal, as per Duthie from TSN.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 12:38 AM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Surprised nobody's brought this up, but apparently Marleau refused to waive his NTC at some point today to go to Ottawa in a 3 team trade, presumed to include Montreal, as per Duthie from TSN.
Do you mean Dreger?

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote