HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Home Hockey Net Setup?

Old
08-23-2009, 01:50 AM
hkyplayer03

vCash: 500
Home Hockey Net Setup?

Just bought one of those hockey steel hockey nets and have been practicing almost everyday. Problem is the few times I do miss the top corners or short glove/blocker side the pucks go flying into the 2 car garage getting lost in the junk. What do you guys use in the background to stop pucks?

hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 01:55 AM
noobman

At the 'rents old house the driveway led right into the backyard (no fence). I always put a big, thick piece of plywood behind the net and set some heavy things behind it. That way if the puck hits it just bounces back to you.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 07:48 AM
CanadaBacon

Garage door

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Semper Sens

Buy a thick, heavy tarp (or even ask local stores if they're throwing one used for advertising out; my family has three of those, two from shell and one from Giant Tiger. They're nice and heavy and free). Set it up so it covers the garage and you're golden. You can weigh the bottom down with bricks if you go cheap and buy a light one for camping (probably makes more sense if you can't find a store that will give you one for free, I imagine a real heavy one would get pretty expensive).

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would ditch the net, get an 18 oz vinyl tarp, and paint a hockey net on it. Hang it a few inches from the garage wall and you should be set. That way shots won't ring off the x-bar and you get more space. Shooting tarps are $200 but blank tarps are $60 or less (esp on Craigslist).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 10:59 AM
hkyplayer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I would ditch the net, get an 18 oz vinyl tarp, and paint a hockey net on it. Hang it a few inches from the garage wall and you should be set. That way shots won't ring off the x-bar and you get more space. Shooting tarps are $200 but blank tarps are $60 or less (esp on Craigslist).
I could never ditch the steel hockey net. The rings off the post, the sound of top shelf shots, to the surface level shots ringing off the bottom portion are what keep me going.

Old
08-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Hockeyfan68

I use a large backyard and go look for pucks after I shoot a volley. The trick is that it is good practice to NOT miss the net.

I do have to go look for some sometimes however. I cranked one of the crossbar last week and it went up about 40 feet straight up and over into the neighbor's yard. I have to make sure I find them because they will end up getting mowed lmao.

It wouldn't hurt the mower blade or anything but it may make a noise and scare someone.

I suppose finding something to put up behind a goal cage could work somehow but it seems more of a hassle than anything to me.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 10:58 PM
OrangeBlue10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyplayer03 View Post
Just bought one of those hockey steel hockey nets and have been practicing almost everyday. Problem is the few times I do miss the top corners or short glove/blocker side the pucks go flying into the 2 car garage getting lost in the junk. What do you guys use in the background to stop pucks?
shut the garage

OrangeBlue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 12:30 AM
hkyplayer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheldonSouray44 View Post
shut the garage
lol, the garage would get destroyed. Those orange hockey balls already go through the garage from a wrist shot.

Old
08-24-2009, 11:24 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyplayer03 View Post
lol, the garage would get destroyed. Those orange hockey balls already go through the garage from a wrist shot.
lol that is kinda the point, its kind of a ritual growing up, the garage door gets dented to hell. If a shot is going THROUGH the door, its time to lose the cardboard garage door.

Orange balls? pucks man, thats how you give the door character.

Old
08-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Many times when I'm shooting the puck bounces straight off the x-bar right at me. If I set up a net in the garage, the puck will tear off my head! And I can get a shot up about 30-40 feet in the air off a wrister when hitting the x-bar right...never mind a slapper.

There's a baseball cage around the net at my local shooting range, but I'm still shooting pucks all over because they bounce off the bars unpredictably.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 01:47 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Many times when I'm shooting the puck bounces straight off the x-bar right at me. If I set up a net in the garage, the puck will tear off my head! And I can get a shot up about 30-40 feet in the air off a wrister when hitting the x-bar right...never mind a slapper.

There's a baseball cage around the net at my local shooting range, but I'm still shooting pucks all over because they bounce off the bars unpredictably.
Dont put the net in the garage

Old
08-24-2009, 02:10 PM
densetsu

The answer has already been said: tarps. In particular, a heavy canvas tarp works wonders.

Put a few hooks on the wall or underside of the roof, hang it, and optionally weight down the bottom of the tarp. Saves your house *and* pucks stop near-dead just like they do when shooting against a shooter tutor.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Areid1990

Me and My friends like to play Hog a few times a week so we just go into my alley and use my fence as the backstop! If we lose a ball into the next yard or we can't find it we just get a new one (We try to keep about 10 balls around and there only like 1.50 each). I'll paint my fence once every 2 years or so because the black marks really start to add up!

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 03:29 PM
hemsky88

You could purchase a fish net and make sure the spaces are small so the puck wont go through and then just hang it behind your hockey net.

hemsky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 05:32 PM
fcb51

I use a pair of old bed sheets, overlapping and hanging down from a a solid wire high behind the goal. Because the shots are above the cross bar the ball tends to drop down instead of fly through. I've also used a blue tarp and an old carpet.

They all work, just aim better and it wont be a problem

fcb51 is offline   Reply With Quote