HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which prospects have the best shot at making the team?

Old
08-20-2009, 04:50 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
I think Beleskey has a shot since EC is injured and Getzlaf could be too. Bryce Swan was invited to Minnesota's training camp btw.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 04:53 AM
Paul4587

vCash: 500
Mikkelson kind of reminds me of Hedican. He can skate and move the puck fairly well and is reasonably solid defensively(although this hasn't translated to the NHL level yet). If he can end up as good as Hedican was during his Carolina days then he will easily have been worth the second rounder.

As far as this season goes, one of Mikkelson/Festerling/salcido/Mitera have a chance at the number 6/7 role. Hopefully McCarthy is sent to the minors and one of the younger guys can make the big club.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 05:09 AM
Talentless Practise*

What's the deal with Festerling? I assume he was qualified as he's still RFA but what's the holdup? Is Festy looking for a one-way or what? Murray says he's done for the offseason.

Might not be a bad thing to let Festerling go seek playing time elsewhere but why qualify him, then.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 12:30 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless Practise View Post
What's the deal with Festerling? I assume he was qualified as he's still RFA but what's the holdup? Is Festy looking for a one-way or what? Murray says he's done for the offseason.

Might not be a bad thing to let Festerling go seek playing time elsewhere but why qualify him, then.
He's probably playing hard ball with the AHL contract he's going to get. He probably wants more than one year as well. He knows there's a good chance he'll be sent to the minors which will be his third different AHL city in three years. Not to mention he's waiver-eligible now. Same thing happened with Miller last year and he ended up signing the day before camp. Unless Festerling bolts for Europe he has no other options and should be signed in the next three weeks or traded. Though a trade seems highly unlikely at the moment. Hell someone could sign him to an offer sheet right now and not have to compensate us for it.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Mikkelson kind of reminds me of Hedican. He can skate and move the puck fairly well and is reasonably solid defensively(although this hasn't translated to the NHL level yet). If he can end up as good as Hedican was during his Carolina days then he will easily have been worth the second rounder.

As far as this season goes, one of Mikkelson/Festerling/salcido/Mitera have a chance at the number 6/7 role. Hopefully McCarthy is sent to the minors and one of the younger guys can make the big club.
I've always liked Mikkelson's skillsets. It's not of the same caliber as, say, Sbisa or Gardiner(and he's a completely different player than Mitera), but he's got potential as a pretty solid top 4 defenseman if he could just find a way to put his game together. Great mobility, good hands, and he seems to have a solid positional game. His problems seem more mental. (I guess TJM already mentioned that)

I'm not so sold on Festerling yet because he did well with Niedermayer, but seemed like a liability without him. Salcido just needs to prove, in my opinion, that he can be a two-dimensional player. We have two better defensemen with more offensive upside (and more all-around talent) than Salcido in Gardiner and Sbisa, and it really isn't that close in terms of what I think they can bring over him. If Vatanen can grow a few inches, he'd be another one. Vatanen has, in my opinion, the talent of a top 10 draft pick... but he's currently undersized.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 06:55 AM
duckster24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
We have two better defensemen with more offensive upside (and more all-around talent) than Salcido in Gardiner and Sbisa, and it really isn't that close in terms of what I think they can bring over him.
I've been trying to find something that supports your statement that Sbisa has more offensive upside than Salcido, but I can't. Gardiner maybe. In his junior year of college, Salcido finished second in the entire NCAA in defenseman scoring with 40 points in 42 games, behind the Hobey Baker winner Matt Carle. In his second year in the AHL, he finished second among all AHL defensemen in scoring with 53 points in 71 games for .75 ppg avg. and last year finished in the top 10 with 43 points. So as far as "offensive" potential, it's saying a lot if you think they have more offensive upside than Salcido.

duckster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckster24 View Post
I've been trying to find something that supports your statement that Sbisa has more offensive upside than Salcido, but I can't. Gardiner maybe. In his junior year of college, Salcido finished second in the entire NCAA in defenseman scoring with 40 points in 42 games, behind the Hobey Baker winner Matt Carle. In his second year in the AHL, he finished second among all AHL defensemen in scoring with 53 points in 71 games for .75 ppg avg. and last year finished in the top 10 with 43 points. So as far as "offensive" potential, it's saying a lot if you think they have more offensive upside than Salcido.
You should take into account that Salcido is 4 years older than Sbisa.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 06:28 AM
duckster24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
You should take into account that Salcido is 4 years older than Sbisa.
I realize that and wasn't trying to compare the two. No doubt Sbisa has huge upside and potential as a top pairing d-man. I just haven't heard much about him being an offensive minded defenseman like I have about Gardiner. Salcido has huge offensive upside and has proven it at the last two levels he has played at, so to say the other two have higher offensive potential is saying a lot.

duckster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 11:11 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckster24 View Post
I realize that and wasn't trying to compare the two. No doubt Sbisa has huge upside and potential as a top pairing d-man. I just haven't heard much about him being an offensive minded defenseman like I have about Gardiner. Salcido has huge offensive upside and has proven it at the last two levels he has played at, so to say the other two have higher offensive potential is saying a lot.
Sbisa's draft year was his rookie year in the WHL. So he didn't score that many points (33 in 63 games). But he had a tremendous playoffs offensively, with 15 points in 19 games.

When returned to the WHL last season, as an 18 year old, he had another great run of 15 points in 18 games. Although his playoffs wasn't so good in 09, with only 3 points in 11 games.

But here's some quotes from Sbisa himself. http://www.nhlentrydraft2008.com/fea...&playerID=1012
Quote:
On his style of play: I think I'm more of an offensive defender who has some skill up front. I try to play good defense – make the first pass, try to hit some guys and just keep it simple.

On patterning his game after Montreal's Mark Streit: I like his play – he can play many positions, power-play, penalty-killing. He can play as a forward and also defend. I used to play forward until two years ago, so I think I could handle this, too, if I had to.

On becoming a defenseman: Actually in my junior years, when I was younger, I used to play center more, and then the coaches said if we are short defenders, I had to play offense and defense. Then they asked me what I wanted to play and I said, defense. I like this, play more and I see me more in this position.
Interesting fact that he as a forward before moving to defense. Like Gardiner, and some other prospect from the same draft that one of our scouts mentioned played forward (Shultz? Hegarty? Pryor? Didn't McMillan also play defense this season?). So as a former forward, that may mean that he has some more offensive upside because he might have a forward's puckhandling skills. As recent converts to defense, Sbisa and Gardiner might have more offensive ability than their numbers might suggest since they could still be getting used to playing the position.

That said, I believe at draft time he was billed more as a 2-way guy than an offensive producer. Good at both offense and defense. Perhaps not exceptional at either.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 12:16 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Interesting fact that he as a forward before moving to defense. Like Gardiner, and some other prospect from the same draft that one of our scouts mentioned played forward (Shultz? Hegarty? Pryor? Didn't McMillan also play defense this season?). So as a former forward, that may mean that he has some more offensive upside because he might have a forward's puckhandling skills. As recent converts to defense, Sbisa and Gardiner might have more offensive ability than their numbers might suggest since they could still be getting used to playing the position.
Most kids with talent start off playing forward. It's usually a coach or parent who suggests they play defense because of their size and circumstances to the team. My brother got moved to D because he was one of the tallest kids on the team. I was a forward before I moved to D. It's very common. Not as common with say Gardiner who switch at such a critical age in his development. I'm willing to bet most offensive-defensemen played forward for most of their childhood before moving to D.

Old
08-22-2009, 12:28 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Most kids with talent start off playing forward. It's usually a coach or parent who suggests they play defense because of their size and circumstances to the team. My brother got moved to D because he was one of the tallest kids on the team. I was a forward before I moved to D. It's very common. Not as common with say Gardiner who switch at such a critical age in his development. I'm willing to bet most offensive-defensemen played forward for most of their childhood before moving to D.
Yeah you're right. People do move around a lot as kids due to differing team needs and differing growth spurts. I meant late switches. Sbisa and Gardiner were late switches (2 and 1 year prior to the draft, respectively).

But going back to the 2008 draft threads (http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=526805), I had it backwards. There's mention of McMillan actually being a D and switching to an F. So this season he was back to D.

And Brittain was the other switch, but he's also a D who moved to F according to Chainey.

So the other guys were the opposite of Sbisa and Gardiner.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaler2 View Post
Well to be honest, Sbisa started the year in philly then was sen't back to junior.
Sbisa did not play in junior this year

Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 02:52 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by bieksa 3 View Post
Then I sure want to know who that other Luca Sbisa was playing for Lethbridge last season.

http://whl.ca/stats/statdisplay.php?...ason=&confId=0

Old
08-23-2009, 03:11 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by bieksa 3 View Post
I watched him with my own eyes. And he looked damn good.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 11:48 PM
iLau
Always Mighty

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, the Ducks signed Festerling for 2 years.

Link

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 02:02 PM
wesott11

The closest thing we have to a lock with one of our prospects making the roster is sbisa. Other than that the roster might not have much room for any more... Unless brown or parros go down with an injury we could see Bodi A bit.

wesott11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 02:37 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesott11 View Post
The closest thing we have to a lock with one of our prospects making the roster is sbisa. Other than that the roster might not have much room for any more... Unless brown or parros go down with an injury we could see Bodi A bit.
There will be injuries this year and undoubtably call-ups. I think the question of the thread is who makes the team out of camp. If we stay healthy I don't see any forward prospects making the jump at all.