HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Question for those who've worn the X:60 Skate

Old
08-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Nothing As It Seems
I only own my mind..

vCash: 500
Question for those who've worn the X:60 Skate

Alright... I've been in a XXXX for about 18 months and I loved the skate but it's seen better days and I'm going to be looking to pick up a new pair before my college season starts one month from today. I've researched all of the technical info on the X:60 so I've heard all about the reduced lace bite and the more aggressive angle of the cut. What I'm wondering is, has anyone skated for a while in these skates, at a decent level of play, who can give me a reason to pick them up instead of getting a new pair of XXXXs at the discounted price? Are they REALLY an upgrade? It's not so much about the money for me - I'll gladly shell out the extra $200 if the skate is worth it - but I'd like to know if there is anything significant about the X:60 that makes it a justifiable upgrade. On paper they do their best to make it sound like a different skate, but outside of a few small changes, I can't help but feel like it's just a different looking XXXX. Anyone who has skated in them, especially who has worn both, who can tell me anything - positive or negative - about the skates will be most appreciated.

Also, on a different note, I've long considered the One95 for my next skate, but my game is all speed and I'm very good coming out of the corners and on my edges. I understand that the skate doesn't really make the difference if you have the skill, but everything that I read suggests the One95 is more for the "power" player and the X:60 is built for speed and agility. Is this true or is there a reason I should look into the One95 instead? Everything Bauer promotes about the X:60 sounds like it is built for my game.

Edit: Everything Bauer says about their sticks indicate I should be playing with a XXXX (which I do own) but I will never play with my XXXX over my One95s ever again, so obviously I can't put too much stock in the way they advertise their gear.

Last edited by Nothing As It Seems: 08-13-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Nothing As It Seems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 07:32 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I wanted the One95 as well but had instant pain when I tried them on. Opted for the XXXX for $200 less and had and have had no pain since I bought them a few weeks ago. The pain was located on the top of my mid foot and I have normal feet. I'm almost in the same position as you, I got the XXXX but in an EE and I think they're too wide so I'm seriously thinking of getting the X60's and selling the XXXX's. $600 is steep though.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 07:52 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
They changed the fit a little and gave it more volume on the X:60, and they changed the material to something similar to the One95, a thermoformable composite that will allow the boot to change shape while baking.

And in terms of skates, ignore the marketing completely unless you're going custom. The fits are such that it's virtually impossible to fit both boots.

I would just go with the XXXXs if they work well for you. The X60 is a nice improvement on it, but it's not enough to justify $300 more IMO.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 03:38 PM
raganblink

if the 40s work fine you dont switch up to the one95s. completely different series of skate. they're supposed to be for the different styles of foot. i couldn't wear 40s at all they hurt but the one95s fit like a glove.

if you can find a pair of 40s for 200-250 get them. the x60s are an improvement. more comfortable pading and stronger all around. really the best skate they've ever made, with the 40 and 30 right behind.

imho the x60 is worth it, but, if you can find a hell of a deal then i'd take it.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Nothing As It Seems
I only own my mind..

Quote:
Originally Posted by raganblink View Post
if the 40s work fine you dont switch up to the one95s. completely different series of skate. they're supposed to be for the different styles of foot. i couldn't wear 40s at all they hurt but the one95s fit like a glove.

if you can find a pair of 40s for 200-250 get them. the x60s are an improvement. more comfortable pading and stronger all around. really the best skate they've ever made, with the 40 and 30 right behind.

imho the x60 is worth it, but, if you can find a hell of a deal then i'd take it.
I already went and tried on both and my foot is really kind of in between the two skates. The X:60 (as with the XXXX) is a tiny bit narrow in the toe box. The One95 is a little too deep and the laces hit my ankle in a bad spot. I ultimately decided the X:60s were the better fit as they're pretty much insanely comfortable, but the One95s actually fit my foot pretty welll; they just didn't fit well on the ankles at all. I picked up the X:60s and after baking them they're pretty much insanely sweet skates and I don't even feel much like there's going to be much of a break in period.

Nothing As It Seems is offline   Reply With Quote