HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Toronto Summit Explores Ways to Get more 4-8 year olds on ice

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-19-2009, 09:18 AM
  #1
AngryBoss
Registered User
 
AngryBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 615
vCash: 500
Toronto Summit Explores Ways to Get more 4-8 year olds on ice

http://thestar.ca/sports/hockey/article/682760

My son just turned 6 and he'll be entering his third year as a Timbit/Tyke hockey player.
Over the last 2 winters I've observed the one largest hurdle in getting kids from ages 4-8 involved in hockey; it's far too serious.

At 4 and 5 years-old the most important thing you can do is make the game fun.
First, most leagues have 2 hours of ice time divided over 2 days. And in most regions it's usually in the earliest hours of the morning.

So think about this; most kids begin school at 4 years old. And some of them go 5 days a week.
So now you're asking a very small child to wake up early 7 days in a row. And for a sport that's not easy to learn, takes place in a cold environment and they're forced into drills that aren't even remotely interesting.
Ask yourself this? Would YOU like to be woken up earlier than you need to, to skate around pilons, pivot around circles or practice diving and getting up over and over again on a freezing cold sheet of ice? And then, for the unlucky minority, you may or may not have a loud parent screaming at you to stop crying and keep working.

At that age level there should only be 1 hour of ice time. And that one hour should be filled with fun games that teach kids to adapt to their enormous and bulky equipment, skate and enjoy their time on the ice.

During my tenure in helping out with my sons team it was amazing to watch how for 45 minutes, you couldn't find a smile or laugh on the ice while pacing these young children through various drills. But then, in the last 5 minutes, allowing them to play a simple game like cops-and-robbers, or simply allow them to fire pucks on a coach standing in net, you could see them all light up like it was Christmas morning. And you know what's nuts? Those 'simple' games like cops-and-robbers, or asteroids, or duck-duck-goose, or even 'what time is it Mr.Wolf?' did just as good a job as teaching the fundemantals as stopping, starting, turning or getting up as the tried-and-stale drills of lines, circles and cones.

Hockey is hard enough to learn. It's not like basketball or baseball where every kid knows how to run. So why are we making it harder on them?
The answer is two fold;
1. Canada take's hockey too seriously.
2. Parents take hockey too seriously.

I've actualy been told by some parents that if their kid isn't miserable after a practice it wasn't a good one.
Where did hockey turn from a fun activity into a war or job?

If you keep it simple and you gear the practices and games for the CHILDREN, instead of the parents and convenors then kids will return.
Remeber, the Gretzky's and Orr's didn't develop their love or skills for the game in an arena with cones and whistles. They developed on back yard rinks and ponds, where it's fun.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:17 PM
  #2
LilWinger11
 
LilWinger11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
You've got some great ideas as far as making kids' first experience with hockey fun. The early morning practices for the youngest kids is an excellent point. I think that in addition to it being a turn-off for some kids, it- along with the cost- is a huge turn-off for a lot of parents.

That article had some interesting points. I think boosting the numbers of kids playing boils down to a few major things:

1. Find ways to address some of the common misconceptions that parents who don't play hockey themselves often have (don't understand the financial difference between travel and house, don't realize that used/low-end equipment and wood sticks are perfectly adequate for beginners, don't realize that body-checking isn't allowed in the younger age groups and that there's no fighting, etc.)

2. Find ways to offset the cost, so more families can afford it

3. Make introductory programs more convenient (not as early, not at the more far-flung rinks, plenty of coaches to help with equipment)

4. Continue to publicize female players and teams in the local media. Make sure any advertising of introductory programs specifically states that girls are welcome. I cannot believe the number of people who say, "You play hockey? Like, with guys?" I tell them no, I play on a women's team, and they've never heard of such a thing.

5. If you find a coach who has a particular talent for working with 4- to 6-year-olds, thank your lucky stars and do whatever you can to keep that person around. I've worked with a lot of well-intentioned coaches who really don't have a great sense of age-appropriate expectations with regards to skill and, more importantly, attention span. That age group in particular needs to be having fun so that they get hooked on hockey and keep coming back!

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:35 PM
  #3
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
You both bring up good points.

The OP seems to be leaning towards increasing the interest level of youngsters in hockey already, while the second poster is leaning more towards bringing new players into the game.


To the OP: I thought Timbits hockey was supposed to be the "free form, fun hockey" that you're describing. It's just a bunch of kids holding sticks and chasing the puck, isn't it?

I agree that those mini-games are a lot of fun. I went to a few of my cousin's learn to skate classes (dropped him off and watched) and they would always do a free skate to start, instruction in the middle, a big game at the end (tag, red-light green-light, etc etc) before another free skate.

The real problem comes with trying to push the kid into something too soon. A kid will not be interested in learning to play hockey until he or she actually enjoys the sport. Even then, you can quickly diminish a child's interest in learning the game by throwing too much at them at once. First, they should develop an interest in hockey. After that they should learn some skating fundamentals (forward stride, snowplow + hockey stops, backwards skating, and crossovers) before picking up a hockey stick and getting involved in the game.

Trying to teach a kid how to skate and play hockey concurrently (which many do) is a great way to overload the player while having them develop poor technique (IE not skating with proper knee bend). You have to teach skills in isolation before combining them. A lot of hockey parents don't understand this. On the same note, you have to keep it fun for the kids. For some, that could just mean spending time with mom and dad at the public skates, and for others it means playing fun games on the ice with the other kids.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:39 PM
  #4
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
I think 5-6 is young to be playing hockey that is not fun .Let them do what they want with in reason easy drills etc.Now with 7/8 that is when i think i think it should get a bit more serious 2 hour practices have half fun and half harder drills etc.As for getting up and going top the rink this does had structure to there schedule which for 7 and 8 years olds can be a good thing.Its better to have this then let them do what ever they want every day of the week.With that said i don't think they should be on the ice every day but 3 or 4 days a week would be ok.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:44 PM
  #5
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
The last time I went to play pickup in the summer (Julyish) I saw the trail end of, get this, a AAA 5-6 year old Summer Tournament.

Can you really call a kid a AAA hockey player at that age? Also, what the heck are you doing putting a 5 year old on skates in the middle of summer?

These are the kids who wind up wanting nothing to do with the sport by the time they're 15. Summer hockey should be a no-no unless the kid REALLLY WANTS TO, but even then it's probably wiser to encourage the player to do something else (fishing, swimming, soccer, baseball, etc)

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 09:56 AM
  #6
frito
Registered User
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
4. Continue to publicize female players and teams in the local media. Make sure any advertising of introductory programs specifically states that girls are welcome. I cannot believe the number of people who say, "You play hockey? Like, with guys?" I tell them no, I play on a women's team, and they've never heard of such a thing.
Thata's GREAT! Good for you! I have two daughters that play. One plays on a boys house and a hosue select team. My older daughter is making the jump from boys peewee A to girls U14 travel this year. I'm with you we need to get more girls in the programs, especially at a younger age. We have seen numbers fall in general but he girls teams really seem to be suffering here because we just aren't getting the influx of young girls to replace the older girls as they move up. I personally would love to have a "girls pod" within our introductory program but have been shot down in the past since they will still be on the ice with the boys, even though they are segragated. Unfortunately we don't have enough girls to have a girls specific introductory program. So they either start playing without proper development or they attend an introductory program co-mingled with the boys.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 03:37 PM
  #7
OCanada
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
The last time I went to play pickup in the summer (Julyish) I saw the trail end of, get this, a AAA 5-6 year old Summer Tournament.

Can you really call a kid a AAA hockey player at that age? Also, what the heck are you doing putting a 5 year old on skates in the middle of summer?

These are the kids who wind up wanting nothing to do with the sport by the time they're 15. Summer hockey should be a no-no unless the kid REALLLY WANTS TO, but even then it's probably wiser to encourage the player to do something else (fishing, swimming, soccer, baseball, etc)
Yes you can really call a kid a AAA hockey player at that age. The problem with 6 and under hockey is that you get such a wide range of varied skills and abiilties amongst the kids. The best thing about the AAA spring catergory was that it allowed us to get "willing" 6 year olds of similar abilities to play together and against other teams of similar capablilities. For us here we also played full novice rules, which helps these kids get ready for the upcoming season.
When pracitcing with kids on their 6 and under team, the more advanced kids dont get challenged as much. The practices are really slowed down because of the wide varience in abilities. When you put them with kids that are just as advanced the tempo of the practice is higher, they can challenge themselves more etc.
We stopped our Spring AAA hockey season in early June. The kids still had plenty of time to go out and enjoy other sports and are super hungry for hockey right now!
Cheers.

OCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 12:38 AM
  #8
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
only problem is the cost.

oh kids should not play in the summer. play basketball or baseball or soccer or whatever. Just get off the ice.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 11:19 PM
  #9
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pickering ON & N-NJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 667
vCash: 50
All I can say is I have a 8 year old son who plays net (2 years now) in Pickering house league. And I play afternoon shinny with a few woman who play at an Olympic level. As well I know a few other woman who play either ringett or hockey on woman's leagues.

I have been hearing in the news about the declining numbers in hockey in Canada. I think the first issue that should be looked at is the price of Leagues and equipment in Canada. $450.00 for a 20 game league for an 8 year old is excessive at best and criminal at worst.
Running a League or sponsoring a house league team in Canada is a cash cow.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 11:22 PM
  #10
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,216
vCash: 500
Easy. Make it affordable.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 06:28 AM
  #11
OCanada
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
All I can say is I have a 8 year old son who plays net (2 years now) in Pickering house league. And I play afternoon shinny with a few woman who play at an Olympic level. As well I know a few other woman who play either ringett or hockey on woman's leagues.

I have been hearing in the news about the declining numbers in hockey in Canada. I think the first issue that should be looked at is the price of Leagues and equipment in Canada. $450.00 for a 20 game league for an 8 year old is excessive at best and criminal at worst.
Running a League or sponsoring a house league team in Canada is a cash cow.
While cost is always an issue, other youth sports are quite expensive too. Figure Skating is costly as is gymnastics etc. I don't think hockey is too out of line.
In my area it costs $200/yr to play. With that you get 2 practices a week starting in early October and ending in late March. You get 20 league games, 10 exhibition games and then tournaments are extra but only amount to about $100.
The biggest complaint I hear from parents is the comittment. 2 practices during the week and then games basically every weekend. Games start in November and go right to April. We don't mind if parents take a weekend off or two but alot of parents find it easier to just not sign up and not have to worry about "letting the team down" by missing the odd weekend.
Personally, there is no place I would rather be in the winter than at the arena watching my son play hockey!

OCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 08:22 AM
  #12
hockeydadx2*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
It would be interesting to see how many of these 5-6yr old AAA budding superstars are still playing the game at 15yrs of age. No 5-6yr old is begging for summer travel hockey. This is, as usual, all about the parents.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 09:46 AM
  #13
frito
Registered User
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCanada View Post
In my area it costs $200/yr to play. With that you get 2 practices a week starting in early October and ending in late March. You get 20 league games, 10 exhibition games and then tournaments are extra but only amount to about $100.
WOW! That kind of season would cost well over $1,000 here. Do you have subsidized rinks there or are they privately owne? All the rinks in our area are privately owned and as such need to bring in a return on the investment.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 10:19 AM
  #14
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCanada View Post
While cost is always an issue, other youth sports are quite expensive too. Figure Skating is costly as is gymnastics etc. I don't think hockey is too out of line.
In my area it costs $200/yr to play. With that you get 2 practices a week starting in early October and ending in late March. You get 20 league games, 10 exhibition games and then tournaments are extra but only amount to about $100.
The biggest complaint I hear from parents is the comittment. 2 practices during the week and then games basically every weekend. Games start in November and go right to April. We don't mind if parents take a weekend off or two but alot of parents find it easier to just not sign up and not have to worry about "letting the team down" by missing the odd weekend.
Personally, there is no place I would rather be in the winter than at the arena watching my son play hockey!
That number doesnt seem right. Seem REALLY low. Anyways, you also have to add in the cost of eq EVERY season. It is the most expensive sport to play by a fair margin (except for polo i guess, those horses get expensive).

I have to call BS on the commitment part. I dont know, have never heard a parent say "well, i was going to sign my kid up, but i didnt want to let the team down if i miss a weekend. So my kids sitting at home doing nothing." The vast majority of house leagues dont give a shizz if you come or not. You come you play, you dont you still paided. It doesnt really matter if you "mind" that a parents takes a weekend off "or two". You cant do nothing about it.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 10:20 AM
  #15
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
It would be interesting to see how many of these 5-6yr old AAA budding superstars are still playing the game at 15yrs of age. No 5-6yr old is begging for summer travel hockey. This is, as usual, all about the parents.

hit the nail

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 04:19 PM
  #16
OCanada
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
LOL, call it what you want!
Parents in MY area don't want to have to be COMITTED to hockey every weekend!! My town is small, alot of times we have under 10 kids registered per team. Last year we played with as little as 8 on a squirt hockey team. Pretty easy to cancel games when you don't have enough players to PLAY!

Youth hockey equipment is cheap, especially if you buy used. Have you ever looked into the cost of figure skates and all the outfits that are required? Have you ever inquired about the cost of figure skating coaches? Trust me, it isn't cheap. CanadaBacon, do you have kids in hockey or figure skating? It doesn't sound like it.

The bang for the buck you get out of hockey in my area is a steal. We have a community owned rink that is run and maintained by volunteers hence the low costs.

"Summer" hockey and "Spring" hockey are different. I have coached both. Summer hockey requires alot bigger comittment.
There is nothing wrong with spring hockey. It is just an extension of a season that is usually pretty small at young ages. Spring hockey can end in May or June.

Hockeydadx2, we have a lot of kids that wish hockey would never end. My son was crying when I told him it was over and he kept asking me to make another team. He would ask me every week if I could book ice. SOME kids have a huge passion for hockey, others like it but can do with out it when they have had enough. I NEVER once had to talk my kid into going to the rink. If its something HE wants to do, I will try and give him the opportunity. Naturally there are some psycho parents out there that think their child can be built to be the Tiger Woods of hockey.

Where I am from, we play for the love of the game. As long as my child is passionate about it, I willl take him to the rink.

OCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 04:29 PM
  #17
Danrik
I Hart Henrik
 
Danrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Super Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,842
vCash: 50
It's not cheap, even used. Baseball, soccer, basketball are all cheap, hockey is not.

Danrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 05:08 PM
  #18
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCanada View Post
LOL, call it what you want!
Parents in MY area don't want to have to be COMITTED to hockey every weekend!! My town is small, alot of times we have under 10 kids registered per team. Last year we played with as little as 8 on a squirt hockey team. Pretty easy to cancel games when you don't have enough players to PLAY!

Youth hockey equipment is cheap, especially if you buy used. Have you ever looked into the cost of figure skates and all the outfits that are required? Have you ever inquired about the cost of figure skating coaches? Trust me, it isn't cheap. CanadaBacon, do you have kids in hockey or figure skating? It doesn't sound like it.

The bang for the buck you get out of hockey in my area is a steal. We have a community owned rink that is run and maintained by volunteers hence the low costs.

"Summer" hockey and "Spring" hockey are different. I have coached both. Summer hockey requires alot bigger comittment.
There is nothing wrong with spring hockey. It is just an extension of a season that is usually pretty small at young ages. Spring hockey can end in May or June.

Hockeydadx2, we have a lot of kids that wish hockey would never end. My son was crying when I told him it was over and he kept asking me to make another team. He would ask me every week if I could book ice. SOME kids have a huge passion for hockey, others like it but can do with out it when they have had enough. I NEVER once had to talk my kid into going to the rink. If its something HE wants to do, I will try and give him the opportunity. Naturally there are some psycho parents out there that think their child can be built to be the Tiger Woods of hockey.

Where I am from, we play for the love of the game. As long as my child is passionate about it, I willl take him to the rink.
Maybe thats why only 8 kids play?! Parents dont want to give up there time for their children. Thats fine not arguing that, its there choice obviously.

Childrens hockey equipment is not cheap, come on.
Actually figure skating at the Ancaster club in Hamilton is 130-230ish a season. Skates look to be the cheaper then hockey skates as well.

Doesnt matter how much you say your kids "wish hockey would never end". Doesnt matter, kids should not play hockey all year round. If you want your kid to quit playing hockey keep on doing this. There is a HUGE chance he will, then he/she may lose 5-10-15 years before they go back to the game. Its not worth the chance. Make them play something else ANYTHING else in the summer.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 05:37 PM
  #19
OCanada
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Maybe thats why only 8 kids play?! Parents dont want to give up there time for their children. Thats fine not arguing that, its there choice obviously.

Childrens hockey equipment is not cheap, come on.
Actually figure skating at the Ancaster club in Hamilton is 130-230ish a season. Skates look to be the cheaper then hockey skates as well.

Doesnt matter how much you say your kids "wish hockey would never end". Doesnt matter, kids should not play hockey all year round. If you want your kid to quit playing hockey keep on doing this. There is a HUGE chance he will, then he/she may lose 5-10-15 years before they go back to the game. Its not worth the chance. Make them play something else ANYTHING else in the summer.

Please read what I have said. "SPRING" hockey ends in May or June.....Summer hockey goes through August. My child plays baseball and soccer. We go to the cabin in the summer months. He has alot of time to enjoy other sports because he is playing "Spring" AAA. When I coached Summer AAA we would take one weekend off in July...thats it! THat is a big difference then quitting playing in June!

Research figure skating costs. You will see skates costing well over $1000. It all depends on how serious you want to get. Some people pay $50 a sharpening! Trust me, competitive figure skating costs can get quite insane.

Every area and association is different for hockey costs. Ours is cheap but some parents feel its too involved. Alot of parents have cottages and enjoy snowmobiling etc and having to comitt to hockey for a full season doesnt work for them. There are alot of other options for kids now a days and quite frankly, parents are busier too. I don't care who you are, hockey is a big committment. I do agree that it isn't cheap for equipment but it isn't the most expensive either! When you factor the season length I think it pencils out quite nicely!!

OCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 05:59 PM
  #20
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCanada View Post
Please read what I have said. "SPRING" hockey ends in May or June.....Summer hockey goes through August. My child plays baseball and soccer. We go to the cabin in the summer months. He has alot of time to enjoy other sports because he is playing "Spring" AAA. When I coached Summer AAA we would take one weekend off in July...thats it! THat is a big difference then quitting playing in June!

Research figure skating costs. You will see skates costing well over $1000. It all depends on how serious you want to get. Some people pay $50 a sharpening! Trust me, competitive figure skating costs can get quite insane.

Every area and association is different for hockey costs. Ours is cheap but some parents feel its too involved. Alot of parents have cottages and enjoy snowmobiling etc and having to comitt to hockey for a full season doesnt work for them. There are alot of other options for kids now a days and quite frankly, parents are busier too. I don't care who you are, hockey is a big committment. I do agree that it isn't cheap for equipment but it isn't the most expensive either! When you factor the season length I think it pencils out quite nicely!!
And you can get hockey skates $600+, so what? you could also just spend 100 bucks.

Once again thats fine, if a parent would rather make themselves happy and do what they want at the expensive of their children, whatever thats their choice. It is not the most expensive sport if you are talking about car/bike racing or sailing.
Basketball- a pair of shoes
Baseball- cleats and a glove
Soccer- shinpads and cleats
Rugby- cleats
Curling- shoes and broom
Figure skating- skates and outfit
Hockey- skates, shinpads, pants, elbow pads, gloves, shoulder pads, helmet, stick, jock, hockey tape, hockey bag

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 06:11 PM
  #21
OCanada
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
And you can get hockey skates $600+, so what? you could also just spend 100 bucks.

Once again thats fine, if a parent would rather make themselves happy and do what they want at the expensive of their children, whatever thats their choice. It is not the most expensive sport if you are talking about car/bike racing or sailing.
Basketball- a pair of shoes
Baseball- cleats and a glove
Soccer- shinpads and cleats
Rugby- cleats
Curling- shoes and broom
Figure skating- skates and outfit
Hockey- skates, shinpads, pants, elbow pads, gloves, shoulder pads, helmet, stick, jock, hockey tape, hockey bag
LOL, there is alot more to figure skating than just skates and an outfit!

When comparing Hockey costs to other sports you have to compare it to other winter sports imo. Then you also have to factor in how much they play and for how long.
Where our association is the kids get roughly 40 to 50 games depending on the parents and the coaches. They get over 50 hours of practice ice time. I think thats pretty good for for registration fees and hockey equipment costs.

Thats just my opinion.

OCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 06:38 PM
  #22
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCanada View Post
LOL, there is alot more to figure skating than just skates and an outfit!

When comparing Hockey costs to other sports you have to compare it to other winter sports imo. Then you also have to factor in how much they play and for how long.
Where our association is the kids get roughly 40 to 50 games depending on the parents and the coaches. They get over 50 hours of practice ice time. I think thats pretty good for for registration fees and hockey equipment costs.

Thats just my opinion.
What else you need for figure skating? serious question.

Fine compare hockey to basketball, indoor soccer, curling, figure skating, volleyball, lacrosse and hockey still is more epensive. You could even snowboard/ski for cheaper then a season of hockey. How can you argue this?

Registration fees for most house leagues range from alright to WTF!!. Could be from 300$ to 600$+, like you said for the amount of time they are on the ice it CAN be worth it. Depends on what level the kid will play. But it doesnt negate the fact that it is expensive as hell and a lot of parents simple cant afford it.
In the Greater Toronto Hockey League, the average registration fee for AA and AAA teams is from $2,500 to $3,000, with $5,000 being "the high-end."
In St. John's and area, registration for major midget AAA costs $6,000 a season.
In the Estevan Minor Hockey Association. Registration fees this year cost nearly $2,000 each. Then you add on equipment every year and a few sticks a year.

You can play baseball AND football and it wont even be close to what you pay for hockey.


Price is the biggest factor/problem for kids to play. And ass**** parents who wont give up their time or make the "commitment" for their child to play a sport.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 06:59 PM
  #23
OCanada
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
What else you need for figure skating? serious question.

Fine compare hockey to basketball, indoor soccer, curling, figure skating, volleyball, lacrosse and hockey still is more epensive. You could even snowboard/ski for cheaper then a season of hockey. How can you argue this?

Registration fees for most house leagues range from alright to WTF!!. Could be from 300$ to 600$+, like you said for the amount of time they are on the ice it CAN be worth it. Depends on what level the kid will play. But it doesnt negate the fact that it is expensive as hell and a lot of parents simple cant afford it.
In the Greater Toronto Hockey League, the average registration fee for AA and AAA teams is from $2,500 to $3,000, with $5,000 being "the high-end."
In St. John's and area, registration for major midget AAA costs $6,000 a season.
In the Estevan Minor Hockey Association. Registration fees this year cost nearly $2,000 each. Then you add on equipment every year and a few sticks a year.

You can play baseball AND football and it wont even be close to what you pay for hockey.


Price is the biggest factor/problem for kids to play. And ass**** parents who wont give up their time or make the "commitment" for their child to play a sport.
Dude I agree that its rediculous but that is some of the reasons we are being given here. I am on our minor hockey board and its frustrating as hell to see these lazy parents leave their kids out!
I realize how expense high end hockey can be, I was just referring to entry level hockey for kids. That entry fee isn't stupidly high here. Yet parents still refuse to enroll their kids!
I personally say that dedication and committment are huge issues. I can only speak on the rural, as that is where I am from. Price of hockey out here is not unreasonable. In larger centres I can see it being a problem.
I am frustrated with the low enrollment. We offer half price registration to the kids for their first year in our minor hockey association. I even offered to go and pick the kids up for practice. Once these kids are in the rink and playing with their friends there will be no turning back. Its just getting the parents to give it a shot....once!!

OCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:13 PM
  #24
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCanada View Post
Dude I agree that its rediculous but that is some of the reasons we are being given here. I am on our minor hockey board and its frustrating as hell to see these lazy parents leave their kids out!
I realize how expense high end hockey can be, I was just referring to entry level hockey for kids. That entry fee isn't stupidly high here. Yet parents still refuse to enroll their kids!
I personally say that dedication and committment are huge issues. I can only speak on the rural, as that is where I am from. Price of hockey out here is not unreasonable. In larger centres I can see it being a problem.
I am frustrated with the low enrollment. We offer half price registration to the kids for their first year in our minor hockey association. I even offered to go and pick the kids up for practice. Once these kids are in the rink and playing with their friends there will be no turning back. Its just getting the parents to give it a shot....once!!

I agree with all that. Unfortunatly, the majority of hockey around the country is not like your organization. It is expensive as hell and equipment is expensive as hell. (compared to other sports )

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 04:23 PM
  #25
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pickering ON & N-NJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCanada View Post
While cost is always an issue, other youth sports are quite expensive too. Figure Skating is costly as is gymnastics etc. I don't think hockey is too out of line.
In my area it costs $200/yr to play. With that you get 2 practices a week starting in early October and ending in late March. You get 20 league games, 10 exhibition games and then tournaments are extra but only amount to about $100.
The biggest complaint I hear from parents is the comittment. 2 practices during the week and then games basically every weekend. Games start in November and go right to April. We don't mind if parents take a weekend off or two but alot of parents find it easier to just not sign up and not have to worry about "letting the team down" by missing the odd weekend.
Personally, there is no place I would rather be in the winter than at the arena watching my son play hockey!
WOW that is incredible I would pay $200 gladly and be at every practice, game all winter long. I buy goal equipment for my son so he doesn't have to be in the nasty 10 year old house league stuff. for our $450 CAD we get 20, 1 hour games, and 20, 1 hour practices, and an end of season tournament. we have to skate from 6 AM to 7 AM and we live an half an hour away in good weather. If it's a snow storm it takes an hour.

We pay twice as much money for 1/2 as much hockey. As for other sports costing any thing who cares? I thought we where talking about hockey?

We are going on a trip in Oct. and we will miss one game / practice this year but last year we refused to go any place because of the kids hockey.

Edit:
I forgot that I'm talking about house league for an 8 year old in Pickering. not A-level hockey

Registration Fees:

Hockey School > $285
- Players born from 2001-2005 without previous Hockey Association experience is required to enroll in this program.

House League > $450
- Initiation to Bantam - Players born from 1995-2004

House League > $375
- Minor Midget to Midget/Juvenile- Players born from 1994-1989

Rep Hockey > $450
- Players born 1989-2003

prices from http://www.pickeringhockey.com/reg/register.html

As well I paid $365 each for 2, 1 week training camp this summer as well as last summer.


Last edited by adaminnj: 09-09-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: forgot something
adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.