HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Officially Sign Mathieu Schneider

Old
08-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Warren Piece

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik View Post
Don't like this move. Too old. We still have Cory Schneider to trade assuming we get Luongo locked up.
We still should trade C. Schneider/ Raymond/ Hansen/ Grabner for a young defenceman. Schneider and Salo will both miss games to injuries next season and Rome and Nycholat are not good enough to fill in.

Warren Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
StrictlyCommercial

I think it's a good signing, shelter his ES minutes to around 6-8 mins a game with 4+ on the PP. Bieksa and Edler should both be ready for 25+ mins a night along with Mitchell. Salo at 20'ish and O'Brien around 15 minutes a night. The big problem is that we need a stronger #7 to come in when there's inevitable short term injuries to Schneider and Salo.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Askel

Schneider would be a great signing if it is for one year.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Why? Our defense is deep enough so Schneider will have to play 4th or 5th D minutes at most. Pair him with someone steady like Salo and it could be a great pairing. Schneider is a better puck mover than anyone we have right now.
I'm more concerned about his speed and the fact that we really dont have the depth to put him with a solid dman to cancel out some of his faults.

Not too excited with this personally, but I wouldnt be angry.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:00 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
I'm more concerned about his speed and the fact that we really dont have the depth to put him with a solid dman to cancel out some of his faults.

Not too excited with this personally, but I wouldnt be angry.
I think he'd be perfect paired with Salo. Salo's a decent skater and easily our best all around defenseman. When Salo's hurt it might get a bit sketchy, but when he's healthy Schneider should be fine.

If this is true we now have 3 guys in Edler, Salo, and Schneider who all have BOMBS from the point.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:02 PM
ziploc

I've been wanting this for a month and a half. He can handle #5-6 minutes, not be relied upon to be the main guy, can get the puck out of the zone, can move it up the ice, and is a wizard on the PP. He's old, sure, but we would still have the ability to move a forward for another young project D if we wanted as well, but without that player having to immediately have the responsibility to perform every night.

This would be a good signing, depending on term and price obviously.

ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Britton

Schneider was playing upwards of 21 minutes for Atlanta and averaged more than 20 minutes a game in Montreal last year. He also had 8 games last year where he played over 25 minutes. So he still has something left in the tank. He would be a great addition if he could play around 18 minutes a game and will probably be more durable when he's not being over worked. I think he really fits our needs and should come pretty cheap.

Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
I think he'd be perfect paired with Salo. Salo's a decent skater and easily our best all around defenseman. When Salo's hurt it might get a bit sketchy, but when he's healthy Schneider should be fine.

If this is true we now have 3 guys in Edler, Salo, and Schneider who all have BOMBS from the point.
I think he'd most definitely be paired with Salo.

Mitchell-Edler
O'Brien-Bieksa
Schneider-Salo

Mitchell and Edler should be able to eat some serious minutes.

I believe at the end of last year we had:

Mitchell-Salo
Ohlund-Edler
O'Brien-Bieksa

I'd shelter the **** out of the Salo/Schneider pairing though. The last thing we need are those two guys out against physical forwards. Christ.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:09 PM
The Vengabus

Worth it, if only to have a monopoly on Schneiders.

The Vengabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
trading will force us to give up assets. Schneider does not require any assets to acquire. This is what we need, and he can mentor guys like Edler, Bieska, on top of that, take ice time away from our defenders (in a good way type of take ice time away).
but Calgary add jay bouwmeester and Edmonton has add Nikolai khabibulin while we add Mathieu Schnedier to counter that? This is absolutely insane!

Its true that some of our younger player might able to step up, but remember so does the other team's young player.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Bourdon

I kind of expected this considering he was Gillis' former client.

I haven't watched the guy play in a long time. What type of player is he defensively?

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Meganuck*

Quote:

Salo is probably the best dman in the division, when healthy. Which is rare.

I was looking or hoping that a young guy in the system would have been forced to play and atleast we'd know what we have (or lack) on our farm.

Old
xtr3m

I'm for it, but he is on a steady decline playing around 65 games a season: 59pts -> 52 -> 39 -> 32.

xtr3m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:13 PM
ziploc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
but Calgary add jay bouwmeester and Edmonton has add Nikolai khabibulin while we add Mathieu Schnedier to counter that? This is absolutely insane!

Its true that some of our younger player might able to step up, but remember so does the other team's young player.

Yup, but the Flames lost some serious offense as well to pay for it, and the Oilers just replaced one old goalie for another. Not saying Bulin isn't good, but not a massive upgrade, if one at all. I think the Nucks will be just fine.

ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:

Yes, let's worry about "Bulin" on the Oilers. I mean, that's all they needed right? Goaltending. It's not like Roloson didnt stand on his head last year and they still $ucked.

Bouwmeester is a great addition, but they lost 70+ goals in Bertuzzi and Cammaleri. Unless, they put Bouwmeester on the wing during their PPs and he turns into another finisher, they arent scoring. Or winning for that matter.

ZomG! They signed NigeL DaweZ!! Wth we'z do?!!!

Old
08-24-2009, 07:19 PM
CCF23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Salo is probably the best dman in the division, when healthy. Which is rare.

I was looking or hoping that a young guy in the system would have been forced to play and atleast we'd know what we have (or lack) on our farm.
I'd take Bouwmeester over Salo any day.

Old
08-24-2009, 07:19 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:

the problem is that both Schneider and Salo will be expected to miss a fair chunk of games... and the Canucks extras still suck!

I don't mind the signing, if it happens... Schneider does help the team's PP and is solid at moving the puck out of the zone... he'll definitely improve our bottom end depth on the team. However, I'd hope if Gillis does sign Schneider, he still brings in one more dman - someone better than Rome or Nycholat, who can play 50-60+ games next year, because covering for injuries on that defense, your #7 will probably play a fair bit.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
Yup, but the Flames lost some serious offense as well to pay for it, and the Oilers just replaced one old goalie for another. Not saying Bulin isn't good, but not a massive upgrade, if one at all. I think the Nucks will be just fine.
that goalie just won against our best team ever in years, so i wouldnt call that a minor upgrade, but you get a point.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Agent007

If this does turn out to be true then we need to get ourself a number 7 defencemen that is more than capable of playing top 6 minutes. With Salo and Schneider in the lineup our number 7 defencemen is going to get some playing time there's no doubt about it.

If we can get Schneider signed and then go out and bring in a defencemen like Eminger for around a million dollars as our number 7 then that would be great IMO.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:23 PM
CCF23

Quote:
that goalie just won against our best team ever in years, so i wouldnt call that a minor upgrade, but you get a point.
The goalie did or the team did?

Last time I checked Edmonton didn't have Kane, Toews, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Sharp, Havlat, Keith, Seabrook, Barker, or Campbell.

The Hawks won pretty much in spite of Khabibulin.

Also, where does Calgary's scoring come from? Rene Bourque? Curtis Glencross? David Moss? They're reeeeeeeeeeally reaching.

Old
08-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
the problem is that both Schneider and Salo will be expected to miss a fair chunk of games... and the Canucks extras still suck!

I don't mind the signing, if it happens... Schneider does help the team's PP and is solid at moving the puck out of the zone... he'll definitely improve our bottom end depth on the team. However, I'd hope if Gillis does sign Schneider, he still brings in one more dman - someone better than Rome or Nycholat, who can play 50-60+ games next year, because covering for injuries on that defense, your #7 will probably play a fair bit.
You just beat me to the punch and I agree.

The guy I thought would be a solid addition and might be available for cheap is Steve Eminger.

Realistically our number 7 defencemen is likely going to get to play a ton of games so hopefully we can add someone who's capable of playing decent minutes in the NHL.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:25 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post

Babchuck ?

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:26 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
How much is he gonna sign for?

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:26 PM
timw33

This would be much better than some offensively inept fringe NHL bottom pairing D-man.

Hope its true.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:28 PM
In Gillis We Trust

Quote:

I love your passion for the Canucks but I am assuming you are either a younger fan or rather new to the sport of hockey. I don't mean any offense by the statement, it's just an observation I have picked up from your posts.

It's easy to say that Calgary added Bouwmeester without saying that they lost Cammelleri and Bertuzzi. Lateral move overall IMO.

Edmonton added Khabibulin but lost Roloson. A bit of an upgrade, but not significant enough considering how well Roloson played for them last season (team MVP). Edmonton's biggest upgrade was made behind the bench, adding Quinn and Renney and firing MacT.

Adding Schneider fills a serious need. It does nothing but help, and a short term deal at a low cap hit would be anything but insane.

No team in the NW (or the NHL for that matter) improved significantly this offseason. Minny has gone downhill and it will be noticed with the loss of Jacques Lemaire. Colorado will be lucky to finish 14th in the conference.

In Gillis We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote