HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Officially Sign Mathieu Schneider

Old
08-24-2009, 09:38 PM
pitseleh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Lawrence Nycholat was also signed to a one-way deal.
The other thing to consider is that Rome was one of the few defensemen available this offseason as a UFA that wouldn't have to clear re-entry waivers when being recalled. With no NHL ready prospects on the Moose, he might have been the best option to add some depth on the Moose that the Canucks can then recall during the season if (when) they get that far down their depth chart.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post

We'll need Edler, Bieksa, and to a lesser extent O'Brien to step up and cover those minutes.
Hopefully the team as a whole can take less penalties next season to help out the PK. The Canucks were one of the most penalized teams last season.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 09:40 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Is Schneider any slower then Ohlund though? I doubt it. At any rate it's most likely roughly a lateral move in the foot-speed department. Yah, we could use an improvement in that area for sure, but it looks like the defense is just going to have to tighten up - they've done it before. Schneider would give us an improvement in the puck-carrying and transition portion of the game on top of a booming slapshot.
It's not just that we could use an improvement in that area. We NEED an improvement in that area. We were ventilated and exposed as flatfooted by Chicago, and Luongo's strength is not transition / breakaways.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
It's not just that we could use an improvement in that area. We NEED an improvement in that area. We were ventilated and exposed as flatfooted by Chicago, and Luongo's strength is not transition / breakaways.
Call me a believer, but I think you're going to see a huge breakout year from Alex Edler this year. This team got burned in the Chicago series, but they've proven over many games they can put together solid enough defensive play to win; especially with Luongo in net. It would be nice to upgrade the foot speed back there, but it isn't always a viable option. I think we can win with the blue liners we have now; especially if we see some significant improvement from within. I think we're one guy away from having a nice blue line.

I suspect I may also be a bit higher on Nycholat then most people. He played some good games for us prior to getting claimed on waivers, and I think he has NHL upside. Like an ultra-cheap Krajicek.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 09:44 PM
ziploc

If we do get Schneider, and Sundin retires or goes elsewhere, I would not be against the Nucks trading for Babchuk as a #7, platooning type guy. It shouldn't even take a player, just a draft pick. The trouble would maybe be signing him, if he doesn't think he will get a shot to play a lot, but he would be some great insurance for when one of our guys goes down. Still, this is probably dreaming for too much.

ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
The other thing to consider is that Rome was one of the few defensemen available this offseason as a UFA that wouldn't have to clear re-entry waivers when being recalled. With no NHL ready prospects on the Moose, he might have been the best option to add some depth on the Moose that the Canucks can then recall during the season if (when) they get that far down their depth chart.
$500k might seem like a lot to swallow in the minors, but if he's up on injury fill in duty for a big chunk of the season, even as the extra defenseman, it could be half that. It also allows the Canucks to go with 7 defencemen on the roster instead of the 8 they carried last season. With the logjam at forward and even at goaltending, that could be very useful.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
That's how I see it. They couldn't and still can't handle explosive teams with that D core. There are few teams that can play the way that exposes them but you are sure to meet one in the playoffs.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 09:49 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Call me a believer, but I think you're going to see a huge breakout year from Alex Edler this year. This team got burned in the Chicago series, but they've proven over many games they can put together solid enough defensive play to win; especially with Luongo in net. It would be nice to upgrade the foot speed back there, but it isn't always a viable option. I think we can win with the blue liners we have now; especially if we see some significant improvement from within. I think we're one guy away from having a nice blue line.

I suspect I may also be a bit higher on Nycholat then most people. He played some good games for us prior to getting claimed on waivers, and I think he has NHL upside. Like an ultra-cheap Krajicek.
I agree on Edler. I think it may end up being a situation where we survive the regular season but matchup very poorly against some of the offensive teams in the playoffs. Perhaps the plan is to look for an young defensive upgrade in the middle of the season, preferably with Corey's value (positively) defined.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Payaso619*

Anyone here think we might low ball Schneider with a 800K contract for one year and then maybe next year we'll sign him to a contract worth more than what he deserves therefor leaving us with enough room to bring back Sundin?

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso619 View Post
Anyone here think we might low ball Schneider with a 800K contract for one year and then maybe next year we'll sign him to a contract worth more than what he deserves therefor leaving us with enough room to bring back Sundin?
No. If anything the Canucks would just sign him to a bonus laden contract.

Old
08-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Gillis did say he wanted two more defencemen in that interview.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Ernie

Quote:
I'm in total agreement. But where can we find such a defenceman?

I'd argue that bring some young talent is imperative at this point, as the flatfooted problem will only get worse as Salon and Mitchell age. There is nothing in the pipeline that addresses this weakness.

But at the same time, to quote a certain Mr Rumsfeld, "You go to war with the army you have --- not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time."

Old
08-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Bourdon

Quote:
Hopefully the team as a whole can take less penalties next season to help out the PK. The Canucks were one of the most penalized teams last season.
Alot of that was O'Brien and Ohlund, though I don't expect Rome to do much better in that area.

Quote:
We can always go with the ever-popular Eminger. I'm not too sure about the other UFAs, but there's always trade opportunities. Krajicek seems to be on the outs in Tampa. Pretty under-rated defensively, but he won't likely break out offensively.

Last edited by Bourdon: 08-24-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Hedican retired.
Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 10:04 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
So Sami Salo will have a bedmate in the hospital?

All in all, wouldn't be a bad signing depending on the amount. I would suspect it would be somewhere in the $1M range, essentially leaving room foor Sundin.

08-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
Gillis did say he wanted two more defencemen in that interview.
My guess is that if another d-man is added it will come after training camp, after the team has had a chance to see what forwards will make the team. If someone such as Grabner and/or Shirokov beats out someone such as Raymond or Hansen for a roster spot than it wouldn't surprise me to see Raymond/Hansen dealt in a package for a young, puck mover.

As mentioned many times in the past, Nashville really seems like a team that could be a good trading partner for the Canucks. They have a need for a scoring winger and have a plethora of young defensemen. Alex Sulzer, Cody Franson, Kevin Klein and Teemu Laakso are all players on the bubble in Nashville and they also have Jonathan Blum and Ryan Ellis in the system who are both good bets to be puckmovers in their top 4. If the Canucks could somehow pry Cody Franson from the Preds I'd be ecstatic. Probably take an offer of Michael Grabner+. Kevin Klein would also be a nice addition, something involving Mason Raymond or Jannik Hansen would probably be of some desire to them.

Old
08-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Ernie

Quote:
I agree on Edler. I think it may end up being a situation where we survive the regular season but matchup very poorly against some of the offensive teams in the playoffs. Perhaps the plan is to look for an young defensive upgrade in the middle of the season, preferably with Corey's value (positively) defined.
I think that the Chicago series exposed some problems on defense, but also some problems with the coaching.

We've seen successful teams in the playoffs use their best defensive forwards in a defensive role, even if they are named Datsyuk. If Patrick Kane had have had Ryan Kesler riding him all game, would he have scored a hat trick, especially when Kesler wasn't exactly ripping it up offensively?

It might seem odd to criticize Vigneault for failing to shake up his lines, but a change was needed. And the pressure on the defence could have been alleviated if he had reconfigured things a little.

Old
08-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

I was hoping we'd get Schneider last year from the Ducks. He's exactly what we need on the bottom pairing, should come with a low price tag on a 1 year deal and doesn't cost any assets in return. This would really help our PP and give Edler a good mentor for becoming a more dangerous PP quarterback.

Mitchell Salo
O'Brien Bieksa
Schneider Edler

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I was hoping we'd get Schneider last year from the Ducks. He's exactly what we need on the bottom pairing, should come with a low price tag on a 1 year deal and doesn't cost any assets in return. This would really help our PP and give Edler a good mentor for becoming a more dangerous PP quarterback.

Mitchell Salo
O'Brien Bieksa
Schneider Edler
Good call. We've got a couple young two-way defensemen in Edler and Bieksa who would benefit from having an experienced vet like Schneider back there. We could use the experience and leadership in the playoffs.

EDIT: Evidently, the White Towel picked up the report: http://communities.canada.com/thepro...schneider.aspx

EDIT 2 : Full Story @ http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...79f5dd&k=69555

Looks like everyone believes Dan Murphy.

Last edited by Bobby Lou: 08-24-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old
08-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Lard_Lad

He's probably the best FA option out there, but AV's going to have to be very careful about how much he uses him or there's potential for another injury disaster on defence. Injury coverage for him and Salo alone will probably mean 30-40 games for the #7 guy, and if one or more of the healthier four gets hurt badly...ugh.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 12:05 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon View Post
Nycholat was also given a one way contract. I don't think it makes much of a difference other than the fact that they are guaranteed the terms of the contract regardless. I don't think it's something management worries about too much and it gives the players more incentive to sign here.
Forgot that Nycholat was on a one-way as well but that doesn't really change anything except that he and Rome will be fighting for the #7 spot and the loser will be the first callup.

If we aquire another top-6 guy, it means that O'Brien would be the #7. Not gonna happen. Our top-6 is set if Schneider signs.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 12:19 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

He gives our PP something we need...

At this point he's an upgrade, although slight one over Ohlund defensively...

And he'd probably (hopefully) sign cheap.

Not sure why this would be a bad idea at all.

08-25-2009, 12:21 AM
galiano

Signing Schneider would be an excellent move but obviously at age 40 he's a very short term fix. Now go after Cody Franson to fill that gap the team has in young almost ready D men. I understand Franson is close to being NHL ready. The Canucks have the assets but I have no idea what it would take.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 12:37 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
Now go after Cody Franson to fill that gap the team has in young almost ready D men. I understand Franson is close to being NHL ready. The Canucks have the assets but I have no idea what it would take.
I made a post on the T&R forum asking about Franson. My guess is that something involving Michael Grabner would get their attention. They could use a pure goal scorer on the verge of making the NHL ever since Radulov took off.

Old
08-25-2009, 01:03 AM
Timmer44

Quote:
I made a post on the T&R forum asking about Franson. My guess is that something involving Michael Grabner would get their attention. They could use a pure goal scorer on the verge of making the NHL ever since Radulov took off.
Im a big Franson fan. He's buried below guys simply ahead of him on the depth chart but he's a very capable defenseman with huge potential.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 01:29 AM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
He gives our PP something we need...

At this point he's an upgrade, although slight one over Ohlund defensively...

And he'd probably (hopefully) sign cheap.

Not sure why this would be a bad idea at all.
I've seen a few people say this actually. And the Province mentioned Schneider taking over Ohlund's minute. You actually buy it?

I had heard Schneider was a bit weak defensively, and kind of on the slower side. But I have to admit I didn't see a lot of Canadiens games; though I have to say I'm pretty impressed he was playing 20:56 per night in Montreal at his age.