HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Biggest Bust

Old
08-24-2009, 10:11 PM
howie789

vCash: 500
Biggest Bust

To me either Brian Lawton or Jimmy Carson? Any others come to mind.

howie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Professor Dangles

It has to be Alexandre Daigle.

Professor Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 10:23 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Lawton is a pretty good pick, and how about Alexandre Daigle....

But I wouldn't really call Carson a bust.

Hell, he finished third in the league in goals and top ten in scoring in his sophomore season. He couldn't keep it up for a variety of reasons but that is not really a "bust".

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 10:25 PM
eric71*

This thread just screams Diagle and Stefan...

eric71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 10:33 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Carson had 561 points in 625 games. Lawton had 266 points in 483 games. I think the decision on who was the bigger bust is pretty clear-cut, let alone the decision on who was actually a bust.

Considering that he was hyped as a generational talent at the time of his drafting, I think Daigle will go down as one of the premier busts in NHL history. Patrik Stefan is also a very big one, and even though the draft was different at the time of its inception, Claude Gauthier and Andre Veilleux have to be up there: neither one even played a professional game. Rick Pagnutti is another one. Garry Monahan was only 16 when he was drafted, but his NHL success was extremely limited. Doug Wickenheiser and Gord Kluzak were also pretty substantial busts, although Kluzak was more due to health problems.

And that's just the first overall picks.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 11:56 PM
FissionFire

Hugh Jessiman comes to mind. The guy struggles just to stay out of the ECHL and get an AHL job. His status as a bust rings even louder considering guys like Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, and Ryan Getzlaf were drafted 1, 2, 5, and 7 picks after him. That 2003 was loaded with great and good players in the 1st round after Jessiman (Steve Bernier, Brent Burns, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Corey Perry to name a few).

FissionFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Ogopogo*

Jason Bonsignore was quite the steaming bag of ****.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Nocashstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie789 View Post
To me either Brian Lawton or Jimmy Carson? Any others come to mind.
I don't see how a guy who scored over 100 points twice in his career could even be considered as being a bust

Nocashstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 01:04 AM
Bougieman

Patrick Stefan is the name that comes to my mind when you say "bust". Him and Dolly Parton.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 01:11 AM
Axxellien

Pat Falloon was supposed to be the second coming of the second coming!! Right after Lindros....Writers, pundits, experts were all raving!! What occured?

Last edited by Axxellien: 08-25-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Axxellien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 02:08 AM
MS

To me, the biggest bust in NHL history is Daniel Dore. Reasoning?

1) high draft position - 5th overall in the deep 1988 draft.

2) terrible, terrible player - 17 NHL games, career high of 22 points in the AHL. Compared to 'busts' who played 300-400 NHL games and were sort of serviceable, he's just a steaming pile of crap.

3) players taken immediately behind him - Dore was taken #5 overall; the #7-10 players in the 1988 Entry Draft were Martin Gelinas, Rod Brind'Amour, Jeremy Roenick, and Teemu Selanne.

I don't think you can find a more useless pick taken that highly ahead of so many elite players. Dan Woodley is one of the few that are close.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 02:22 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post

2) terrible, terrible player - 17 NHL games, career high of 22 points in the AHL. Compared to 'busts' who played 300-400 NHL games and were sort of serviceable, he's just a steaming pile of crap.

3) players taken immediately behind him - Dore was taken #5 overall; the #7-10 players in the 1988 Entry Draft were Martin Gelinas, Rod Brind'Amour, Jeremy Roenick, and Teemu Selanne.

I don't think you can find a more useless pick taken that highly ahead of so many elite players. Dan Woodley is one of the few that are close.
This is a pretty good argument. For me, for a player to qualify as "biggest bust", they must be a high pick (at least top 10, preferably top 5, bonus points for number 1) who falls into one of the following two categories:

1. A total bust, someone who didn't make the NHL at all or made it briefly and sucked so bad he played his way out of the league in short order.

2. A player who had an underwhelming yet serviceable NHL career, but who was drafted as a "generational talent/franchise savior/next big thing"-type player and never came close to fulfilling that role.

Players get bonus points if anyone drafted in the first few picks after them ended up being a superstar.

Examples of category 1 include Daniel Dore, Jason Bonsignore, Alexander Volchkov, and Pavel Brendl, while examples of category 2 include Alexandre Daigle and Brian Lawton. A guy like Patrik Stefan, who was picked 1st overall but in a bad draft and managed 7 mediocre NHL seasons, doesn't really scream "biggest bust" to me.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 02:29 AM
Kiddington
heehats

Pavel Brendl

The mans love for hot dogs and junkfood was more than doing what it takes to be an NHL player (which, he had the talent and scoring ability to do). If that isn't a bust, I don't know what is.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 03:04 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvobodaMT View Post
Pavel Brendl

The mans love for hot dogs and junkfood was more than doing what it takes to be an NHL player (which, he had the talent and scoring ability to do). If that isn't a bust, I don't know what is.
I'm surprised he hasn't received another NHL shot given the way he's destroyed the SEL and KHL over the past 3 seasons. Leading the KHL is goals last year is no small feat.

Still can't play defense, but you'd think someone would give him a look for what he can do on the PP.

Gah, what a frustrating player. Maybe the most frustrating ever. He's just so talented, one of the 2 or 3 purest natural goalscorers to come along in the past 2 decades. If he had a work ethic/defensive conscience he'd be scoring 40+ goals in the NHL every year.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 03:24 AM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Daigle then Stefan and Lawton.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 03:26 AM
EvilEmpire94

Hugh Jessiman haunts me in my dreams

EvilEmpire94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 09:23 AM
SealsFan

Not the biggest, but a few others:

Rick Hampton
Bjorn Johansson
Pat Falloon (as mentioned)
Dale Tallon

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Sens Rule

Daigle is a good choice. But However i wonder if the massive hype of Lindros in that Era led to the massie hype of Daigle... was Daigle actually in a weaker draft and just a guy that might be good but because of the rabble regarding Lindros he was overhyped from the start?

Anyway Daigle had a bit of success but never really was that good. Eventually he found a place (plus he had some decent point years on crappy OTT teams) Wickenhieser a disappointment was a very good checking line centre... Lawton was a decent NHL depth player for awhile. Kluzak was a great D-Man that never got healthy.. coulda been a near HOFer.

Who was hyped adn never did ANYTHING at all. Daigle, Wickenheiser, Lawton had some decent NHL careers. Not great but they stuck around a long time at least.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 11:04 AM
nWo
New World Order

The "winner": Patrik Stefan

nWo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 11:13 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

I remember Dave Chyzowski, 2nd overall to the Islanders, scored 50+ goals and 100+ points his final year for my hometown Kamloops Blazers. He couldn't score 10 goals a season at the NHL level. Had a loooong career after that in the minors and Europe.

Biggest dud in the last quarter century, as far as I've seen.

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Some other recent, worthless, high picks...

Steve Kelly
Alexandre Volchkov
Daniel Tkaczuk

And a lower pick who was a giant bust nonetheless...

Vladimir Krutov

Ogie Goldthorpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 11:46 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxellien View Post
Pat Falloon was supposed to be the second coming of the second coming!! Right after Lindros....Writers, pundits, experts were all raving!! What occured?
i don't remember people calling falloon the second coming of anything. he was a consensus top five pick, but it's not like he was supposed to be a generational talent. he was just an average sized guy with no physical game who had a pretty good shot and was made to look really good because his junior linemate (ray whitney) had put together one of the WHL's all time great years.

as i recall, everyone was shocked that he was chosen before scott niedermayer, and san jose were probably the only team in the league who would have done that (for two reasons: 1. they were a new team in a new city and needed an offensive player to market, and 2. they thought they had discovered a guy who was just as good who would still be available in the second round-- sandis ozolinsh).

falloon was a lot like daigle. he put up some points early on as one of the few offensive options on a really bad team, and was gradually phased out when that team got better, bouncing around and flirting with the 20 goal mark but never sticking in one place. but daigle is a bust because he was supposed to be a superstar. falloon is just a guy who was drafted high who didn't develop into a star. if he's a bust then scott thornton and chad kilger are busts. falloon played more than 500 games in the league and outscored both of those guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post

i'd be happy to hear some stories about dore and what happened to this kid. why was he picked so high? was he rated high or was he a reach? what did he look like in the NHL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2010 Sens Rule View Post
Daigle is a good choice. But However i wonder if the massive hype of Lindros in that Era led to the massie hype of Daigle... was Daigle actually in a weaker draft and just a guy that might be good but because of the rabble regarding Lindros he was overhyped from the start?
i have often suspected the same thing. the daigle draft was a very good one at the top-- pronger, kariya, and a bunch of other guys who all played more than 850 games. and in retrospect it was a mistake to rate daigle ahead of pronger and kariya. but i think after lindros and the popularization of the NHL in the US, plus the hockey card boom, draft-watching became a big trend. not just daigle, but the entire top 6 of that draft class were supposed to be franchise players (and they all turned out pretty good, though gratton, niedermayer, and kozlov obviously never became franchise players). if you believed the hype, that draft class looked a lot like the 2003 class. future captains and cornerstones everywhere (people talked the same way about todd harvey as they now do about mike richards or toews; arnott was the next messier, kenny jonsson was the swedish bourque). nicklas sundstrom was the best one out of him, forsberg, and naslund. thibault was the next roy. etc. etc. but i think the fact that it projected to be a particularly good draft (there was also koivu, allison, bertuzzi, deadmarsh), at a time when the game was looking for young cant-miss stars to develop, severely overrated daigle. in a normal year, he would have projected to be a future star, like lecavalier or stamkos. but, blown way out of proportion, he was projected to be a generational talent like lindros or crosby or ovechkin. so yeah, he was a bust. but factors beyond his control turned him into a bigger bust than he should have been.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 06:56 AM
Canadiens1958

Daniel Dore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post

i'd be happy to hear some stories about dore and what happened to this kid. why was he picked so high? was he rated high or was he a reach? what did he look like in the NHL?
Daniel Dore was drafted by the Quebec Nordiques well ahead of rank because he was French Canadian and there was media pressure, as usual, on the Nordiques and Canadiens to draft local players.Consensus amongst people who had scouted Midget"AAA" and the QMJHL was possibly late first round probably second. Canadiens made similar mistakes during the era - Eric Charron, Jose Charbnneau, to name a couple.

Size and skills never meshed to produce results because he lacked motivation and smarts.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 07:19 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Feel free to file Stefan under "health issues" too.

Stefan had concussion issues from the day he was drafted, and eventually had hip problems that were so bad that his doctor told him that either he stops playing hockey or he won't be able to walk.

My vote:
Alexandre Volchkov - was 4th overall in the '96 draft. Had a cup of coffee with the Caps in 1999-00. Was out of hockey by 2003.

Honorary mention goes to former Habs first rounder Brent Bilodeau. He was the only 1st round pick in the '91 draft to not play in the NHL. Saw him a few times in the back half of his career when he was playing in the ECHL and his speed and positioning was nothing worth mentioning here.

Speaking of ECHL, is it too early to list A.J. Thelen in this category?

iamjs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxellien View Post
Was he really that touted?

I know he was coming of a clutch memorial cup. But my memory says Niedermeyer was more touted.

He was a potential 1st line sniper, yeah, second coming? No.

It;s funny to look at Ray Whitney and Brad Richards, both were viewed as the lesser of a dynamic duo. Both proved that wrong.

The Chiefs #1 d-man that year was at undrafted 19 year old, Jon Klemm...