HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What to do? - question about a biased official

Old
08-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Stripes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb51 View Post
In the same theme, I have a problem too...

I'm 6'2 and about 230lbs, every time I go near someone smaller I get whistled for something - obstruction and interference mainly. If I have the puck and a smaller guy hits me or collides with me I get sent down. After a several games with this pattern continuing I asked the ref about it at the end of a game and basically he replied 'when a big guy and a little guy are 50/50, the little guy always wins'!!!

Never experienced anything like this before and everyone on the team can't believe it either. Their advice is just to let it go and play conservatively which really isn't my game, we even video taped the game to show the ref afterwards but he wouldn't listen!!!

I tried that and still the same result. What the hell am I supposed to do??? Any suggestions???
I wouldn't watch a video tape a team offered me either. It's a little bit insulting when all I'm doing is going out after work to do a job for a RECREATIONAL LEAGUE.

In rec hockey, everybody's game should be conservative. Again, everybody has to work the next day. If you want to play competitive hockey, perhaps trying out for a senior team is an option for you.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Moses Doughty
Long term bandwagons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveSirRobin View Post
I play at Ice Town in Riverside. We did play in Ontario for a year, and we've seriously considered moving back there on multiple occasions. The big issue though seems to be cost, Ontario is a bit more expensive than Riverside, which may be a drawback to a few players. Also the rinks in the area (there's three out here) are known to share officials every so often. That said we are seriously considering a move to a different league if things stay the same.
Go back to Ontario. I play travel and Ontario is better locker rooms, ice, rink, and even reffing(not saying much but still). After playing in every SoCal rink that has a SCAHA team, they are in the top four worst reffing places tied with Simi(my former home rink), and behind Bakersfield and Valencia.

BTW the way, if the teams your director watches you mean Inland Valley Wild, I guess he justs likes to see losing teams

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:

I'm 6'2 and about 230lbs, every time I go near someone smaller I get whistled for something - obstruction and interference mainly. If I have the puck and a smaller guy hits me or collides with me I get sent down. After a several games with this pattern continuing I asked the ref about it at the end of a game and basically he replied 'when a big guy and a little guy are 50/50, the little guy always wins'!!!

Never experienced anything like this before and everyone on the team can't believe it either. Their advice is just to let it go and play conservatively which really isn't my game, we even video taped the game to show the ref afterwards but he wouldn't listen!!!

I tried that and still the same result. What the hell am I supposed to do??? Any suggestions???
Don't initiate with smaller guys (if you and a teammate have a chance to go after a puck in the corner, let the team mate go and pick up his man or skate to your spot on O), but don't shy away from contact they initiate.

As far as the penalties you're getting when you're the puck carrier....take the penalty . I mean what can you do in that spot, completely avoid all contact? It might help if after a collision, if they blow the whistle you give the guy a hand up to show you're not trying to bully anyone. That might buy you a little more breathing room.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 12:18 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:

This isnt actually that uncommon in beer leagues. Especially when a little guys plays it up.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 02:47 AM
BakerNator

Quote:

Take up tennis.

BakerNator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 12:56 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Applies to guys and girls too. In adult leagues, if a guy and a girl are 50/50, they pretty much always call it on the guy.

Not that it's justified. A girl laid me out with a perfect hip check a few weeks ago in no check league, and didn't get called.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 02:24 PM
fcb51

Thanks for the advice people...

It's so frustrating, I mean when I have the puck and people try to check me, I generally get called for the penalty unless the person checking is near my size.

BTW, I'm not going out there to hurt anyone or play like it's game 7 of the Cup final, I'm just playing hockey for fun these days

Thanks again

fcb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 02:51 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
I wouldn't watch a video tape a team offered me either. It's a little bit insulting when all I'm doing is going out after work to do a job for a RECREATIONAL LEAGUE.

In rec hockey, everybody's game should be conservative. Again, everybody has to work the next day. If you want to play competitive hockey, perhaps trying out for a senior team is an option for you.
Then you would be somewhat in the wrong. If a rec league team comes to you with a videotape, that means they have a serious problem with something and it's interfering with their ability to just relax and have fun. Most guys in a rec league are in it just for the fun too. Getting a game videotaped is an effort in and of itself- this isn't a pro league of any sort where tapes already exist.

If a team comes to you with a videotape, You can pretty well be sure it's a concern they take pretty seriously, and very well might have resulted from your inaction as the ref coordinator, or your not taking their concerns seriously.

In the league where I play, the hockey director for the rink watches a ton of games live. Several nights a week, he's at the rink watching rec hockey. He does it so that he has an idea of the issues in the league and to make sure there isn't something he needs to address, including refs. If concerns are brought to him about a ref, he'll watch their games and if necessary, only give him little kid games. Granted, he's paid, but you don't have to go to that extent.

The first step towards running a successful adult league is to take player concerns seriously. Just because they're not as good as pros doesn't mean their concerns are unimportant. In fact, they're more important since the player is paying to play, not the other way around.

Sorry to go off on you, I normally respect your opinion and consider you to be a pretty valuable contributor on ref issues, but here I can't help but call you out. This isn't an issue with a team going overboard, this is an issue with a team getting sick of a ref with an admitted personal vendetta against their team.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Then you would be somewhat in the wrong. If a rec league team comes to you with a videotape, that means they have a serious problem with something and it's interfering with their ability to just relax and have fun. Most guys in a rec league are in it just for the fun too. Getting a game videotaped is an effort in and of itself- this isn't a pro league of any sort where tapes already exist.

If a team comes to you with a videotape, You can pretty well be sure it's a concern they take pretty seriously, and very well might have resulted from your inaction as the ref coordinator, or your not taking their concerns seriously.

In the league where I play, the hockey director for the rink watches a ton of games live. Several nights a week, he's at the rink watching rec hockey. He does it so that he has an idea of the issues in the league and to make sure there isn't something he needs to address, including refs. If concerns are brought to him about a ref, he'll watch their games and if necessary, only give him little kid games. Granted, he's paid, but you don't have to go to that extent.

The first step towards running a successful adult league is to take player concerns seriously. Just because they're not as good as pros doesn't mean their concerns are unimportant. In fact, they're more important since the player is paying to play, not the other way around.

Sorry to go off on you, I normally respect your opinion and consider you to be a pretty valuable contributor on ref issues, but here I can't help but call you out. This isn't an issue with a team going overboard, this is an issue with a team getting sick of a ref with an admitted personal vendetta against their team.
I think you misread. If I'm the coordinator, I would look at a video tape and honestly assess the concern. However, he was talking about trying to show a referee the video. As a referee, I'm not watching any video a team tries to show me. It's not my job. I show up, do the game, and I go home. Nothing more, nothing less.

I've never disagreed that any league should take player concerns seriously, but a role of the referee never includes watching a video tape given to him by a team. If a team wants to go to the trouble of taping a game, the video should be shown to whoever runs the league, not the referees on the ice. If whoever running the league is competent, he will watch the video and honestly assess your concerns.

While there are some players who take rec hockey seriously (and some a lot more seriously than they should), 99% of rec league referees simply don't care. Some will do an honest job, some will just go out there and not do much of anything and some are jerks. However, the one thing they all have in common, is that they don't care about the games. All they are getting out of officiating rec hockey is money. That's the only reason most rec league refs bother to take time out of their evenings, away from their families, to make sure you have a game.

I skated rec league games for a couple seasons, and besides the money, all I got out of it is that players still think they're going somewhere, and they expect officials to be of NHL quality. Players just don't realize the role of a rec league referee. He's not there looking to better himself and move up to a better level of officiating. Rec leagues are where officials go after they are done with sanctioned hockey.

I finally quit when my partner kicked out a player for slashing him, then he tried to come after me in the parking lot, and the league president only suspended him for 5 games. That's not worth any amount of money to put up with.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 04:33 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
I think you misread. If I'm the coordinator, I would look at a video tape and honestly assess the concern. However, he was talking about trying to show a referee the video. As a referee, I'm not watching any video a team tries to show me. It's not my job. I show up, do the game, and I go home. Nothing more, nothing less.

I've never disagreed that any league should take player concerns seriously, but a role of the referee never includes watching a video tape given to him by a team. If a team wants to go to the trouble of taping a game, the video should be shown to whoever runs the league, not the referees on the ice. If whoever running the league is competent, he will watch the video and honestly assess your concerns.

While there are some players who take rec hockey seriously (and some a lot more seriously than they should), 99% of rec league referees simply don't care. Some will do an honest job, some will just go out there and not do much of anything and some are jerks. However, the one thing they all have in common, is that they don't care about the games. All they are getting out of officiating rec hockey is money. That's the only reason most rec league refs bother to take time out of their evenings, away from their families, to make sure you have a game.

I skated rec league games for a couple seasons, and besides the money, all I got out of it is that players still think they're going somewhere, and they expect officials to be of NHL quality. Players just don't realize the role of a rec league referee. He's not there looking to better himself and move up to a better level of officiating. Rec leagues are where officials go after they are done with sanctioned hockey.

I finally quit when my partner kicked out a player for slashing him, then he tried to come after me in the parking lot, and the league president only suspended him for 5 games. That's not worth any amount of money to put up with.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 09:36 AM
BobRouse

Not to be harsh but my take (based on your case) would be that you and your team complain too much. That never endears you to officials.

The best way to handle "biased" officiating is to pretend its like another obstacle in your quest to victory like bad breaks, bad ice, injuries etc.

For my team I NEVER let anyone complain to an official. If you feel a penalty is called in error then tough. Shut up and go to the box.

Eventually the officials (who are human) will respect you for making their job easier and will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Whining, complaining and petitioning will get you nowhere. YOu will eventually find another official who you feel is "biased".

Cowboy up bro. I say that in the nicest manner possible.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote