Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2009, 07:22 PM
FutureConsiderations

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Bruins Fan View Post
Who was sitting with Gord Kluzak?
Looks like it might have been his daughter?

There was a slight resemblance.

Old
08-25-2009, 07:23 PM
MD Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Looks like it might have been his daughter?

There was a slight resemblance.
I hope so. Otherwise that looks kinda bad I think.

Old
08-25-2009, 08:10 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Lester out after 6.2 3-2 Pale hose in 7th

Old
08-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Drury77

Send a message via AIM to Drury77 Send a message via Yahoo to Drury77 Send a message via Skype™ to Drury77
Back Bay for the lead 4-3................whooo hoo!!! so glad he's on my fantasy team this year

08-25-2009, 08:57 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury77 View Post
Back Bay for the lead 4-3................whooo hoo!!! so glad he's on my fantasy team this year
Same here. A late-round steal.

Old
08-25-2009, 09:03 PM
FutureConsiderations

Is it possible for a deadline acquisition to be the unsung hero? Normally I'd say no, but Martinez is putting up quite a case.

Old
08-25-2009, 09:22 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
another win 6-3

Old
08-25-2009, 09:31 PM
erfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshea View Post
W/R/T sending Bard down...would the K-Rod rules be any sort of an issue if he's down there past 8/31 when that kicks in. I assume not since he's been on the 25 man for the majority of the year, but I always get confused with that rule and who is/isn't eligible for the postseason roster. I know you have to be acive on 8/31 to be post season eligible, and that the exception is DL'd guys, but Im not sure how it goes for optioned guys that are healthy.
From what I've gathered, the DL loophole is vast and mighty. Here's a good explanation:
http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/...eck_these_out/

Quote:
The rules for postseason eligibility make any player on the team’s 25-man roster or on the DL as of August 31 eligible for the postseason. The rules also allow a team to replace any player on its postseason roster who is injured and cannot play with any other player who was in the organization on August 31, and who plays the same position (the “Francisco Rodriguez” clause).
The Sox have pitcher Miguel Gonzalez (Rule 5 draft pick) on the 60-day DL, so I don't think there's any worry about demoting Bard in that regard. We'll see what happens tomorrow, it wouldn't surprise me much if they cut Penny but it does reduce the pitching depth a little bit in the organization. But, with Paul Byrd coming back and DiceK starting to rehab, it's probably no big deal.

I guess next week they'll probably also call up Kottaras, Lowrie, Bailey, and Anderson in addition to pitching depth.

Old
08-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
primarily a Sox thread JRull
Huh? I was saying Ells has the Red Sox single season SB record, nowhere near the MLB record

Old
08-25-2009, 10:53 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
Huh? I was saying Ells has the Red Sox single season SB record, nowhere near the MLB record
that's what I said

Old
08-25-2009, 10:55 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Should we be rooting for Texas or NY?

Old
08-25-2009, 11:02 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Should we be rooting for Texas or NY?
Rooting for the Sox. So long as they win two of three and the Yankees or Rangers lose two of three, the Sox are either up three in the Wild Card or down 5 in the East while still holding on to a lead in the WC.

The next two games are toss-ups for the Yanks/Rangers. If the Sox keep winning, they can put themselves in a nice position no matter what happens in that series.

And don't believe the myth that the Sox are out of the AL East hunt, either. Sure, their chances aren't good but as of today they're 6 back with 37 left to play. All kinds of crazy stuff happens down the stretch - it wouldn't shock me if they're in the hunt right to the end.

Old
08-25-2009, 11:29 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Rooting for the Sox. So long as they win two of three and the Yankees or Rangers lose two of three, the Sox are either up three in the Wild Card or down 5 in the East while still holding on to a lead in the WC.

The next two games are toss-ups for the Yanks/Rangers. If the Sox keep winning, they can put themselves in a nice position no matter what happens in that series.

And don't believe the myth that the Sox are out of the AL East hunt, either. Sure, their chances aren't good but as of today they're 6 back with 37 left to play. All kinds of crazy stuff happens down the stretch - it wouldn't shock me if they're in the hunt right to the end.
GAINED A GAME ON Yanks, even wild card and don't forget TB, FC

Old
08-25-2009, 11:50 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
GAINED A GAME ON Yanks, even wild card and don't forget TB, FC
Tampa is in it for now. But they've got a GRUELING schedule over the next two weeks.

At Detroit for 4 games, then six games at home (3 against the Sox, 3 against the Tigers), then four in Yankee Stadium and three at Fenway.

From there it's pretty easy, but if they're still in it after the next two weeks I'll be surprised.

Old
08-26-2009, 12:47 AM
Rumpy

Quote:
Tampa is in it for now. But they've got a GRUELING schedule over the next two weeks.

At Detroit for 4 games, then six games at home (3 against the Sox, 3 against the Tigers), then four in Yankee Stadium and three at Fenway.

From there it's pretty easy, but if they're still in it after the next two weeks I'll be surprised.
Or they heat up and continue to swing the bats like against the Jays and are right in the mix 7 two point games isn't a bad thing either.

Old
08-26-2009, 03:10 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
that's what I said
meh your wording was a little iffy to me hence why I clarified. Dunno why you called me out originally anyways?

Old
08-26-2009, 07:40 AM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfus View Post
From what I've gathered, the DL loophole is vast and mighty. Here's a good explanation:
http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/...eck_these_out/

The Sox have pitcher Miguel Gonzalez (Rule 5 draft pick) on the 60-day DL, so I don't think there's any worry about demoting Bard in that regard. We'll see what happens tomorrow, it wouldn't surprise me much if they cut Penny but it does reduce the pitching depth a little bit in the organization. But, with Paul Byrd coming back and DiceK starting to rehab, it's probably no big deal.

I guess next week they'll probably also call up Kottaras, Lowrie, Bailey, and Anderson in addition to pitching depth.
So any word on what the moves are going to be? By my understanding of the rule, Bard has to be on the active roster on August 31st in order to pitch in the playoffs, so sending him down isn't really an option. They also need Tazawa for the rotation now until Daisuke is ready, which won't be until September. We know almost for sure that Enrique Gonzalez will be DFA when they activate Wakefield today, but who else is being dropped from the roster to make room for Wagner tomorrow? And then if they decide Byrd is a playoff option in the next week, who goes then- Tazawa?

Or will they get sneaky and find a way to put Penny on the DL, thereby saving his eligibility for the playoff roster in case, god forbid, they decide he's an option then.

I think they should just DFA Gonzalez & Penny to make room for Wake & Wagner. Then give Tazawa another start in Boston and Byrd another start in the minors and make a decision by next week which one you want eligible for the playoffs.

Last edited by nycbruins*: 08-26-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old
08-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Ivyy13
Resu Deretsiger

Chris Carter was apparently one of the players to be named later in the Wagner deal.

Old
08-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
So any word on what the moves are going to be? By my understanding of the rule, Bard has to be on the active roster on August 31st in order to pitch in the playoffs, so sending him down isn't really an option. They also need Tazawa for the rotation now until Daisuke is ready, which won't be until September. We know almost for sure that Enrique Gonzalez will be DFA when they activate Wakefield today, but who else is being dropped from the roster to make room for Wagner tomorrow? And then if they decide Byrd is a playoff option in the next week, who goes then- Tazawa?

Or will they get sneaky and find a way to put Penny on the DL, thereby saving his eligibility for the playoff roster in case, god forbid, they decide he's an option then.

I think they should just DFA Gonzalez & Penny to make room for Wake & Wagner. Then give Tazawa another start in Boston and Byrd another start in the minors and make a decision by next week which one you want eligible for the playoffs.
They just barely got Gonzalez here to help the defensive woes at shortstop, why would they want to turn him around and send him out the door again?

Old
08-26-2009, 08:30 AM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
They just barely got Gonzalez here to help the defensive woes at shortstop, why would they want to turn him around and send him out the door again?
Oh man, I saw on the front page that you had responded to this thread, so I took you off my ignore list to see what you had to say....I clearly wrote ENRIQUE Gonzalez, the pitcher because I knew some fool would get confused. That fool was you, welcome back to ignore.

Old
08-26-2009, 08:35 AM
cshea

Quote:

I'm a lot more concerned about the Rays because for 2 years the Red Sox have not been able to beat the Rays head-to-head. Sox have 6 games left with Tampa, including 3 next week at the House of Horrors. The Sox (if the rotation holds) have Wakefield, Tazawa, Beckett scheduled for that series,which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

In short, the Rayss, IMO, are a greater threat to the Sox postseason chances than Texas. Even if they split, the Rangers could sneak in the back door.

Old
08-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
Oh man, I saw on the front page that you had responded to this thread, so I took you off my ignore list to see what you had to say....I clearly wrote ENRIQUE Gonzalez, the pitcher because I knew some fool would get confused. That fool was you, welcome back to ignore.
It was a simple question and simple mistake on my part, relax.

How will I be able to move on in life being on your ignore list.

Old
08-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan09 View Post
Chris Carter was apparently one of the players to be named later in the Wagner deal.
Meh Carter never had a shot here, and his value really diminished since we aquired him. Don't really have a problem letting him go in a deal like that.

Old
08-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Biggsy

Martinez catching Wakefield tonight, first time he has caught a knuckler i hope it's not a bad outting as they need this W tonight

Old
08-26-2009, 06:47 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Is it me or did Wake gain a few pounds during his absence?

Closed Thread