HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Santorelli to be third wheel on the 2nd line

Old
08-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Santorelli to be third wheel on the 2nd line

Link

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 11:58 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i don't have a problem with that, honestly. it's time to poop or get off the pot for Mi Sant. Is he an NHL scorer or just another minor league hotshot who can't hack it in the show?

Sorry, I felt compelled to talk like Tommy Lasorda in that last part.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 12:50 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
hmm..I dont know man. I agree that it is his time to sink or swim, but this move could bring the whole ship down if someone doesnt score some goals on that line.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 01:12 PM
OpenWheel

I honestly thought we were going to see Cal O'Reilly up on that second line. He's more of a playmaker, and after the couple game experiment with Legwand on the wing I thought they were going to let Legwand go after a few more goals and not require him to be the engine of the line all the time. Risky, because center is the best spot to use Legwand's defensive abilities. But O'Reilly showed ok at times last year and the experiment of Legwand as a winger wasn't bad either, short as it was.

I don't have a good feeling of Santorelli being a goal scorer on that line, especially as he's done nothing at all in the NHL. But I have had hopes for him. So it'll be fun to watch. At least preseason, gulp...

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I agree with you. Cal for the 2nd line!

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 01:27 PM
OpenWheel

Well, we all know Trotz won't be able to resist using about a dozen players on that line... Jones will probably be there at some time, Ward, O'Reilly, Santorelli, Hornqvist. And when he wants scoring, Tootoo... lol

Converting Santorelli to wing makes sense, I just doubt he will play on the second line. But I guess a third line of Santorelli, Wilson, Ward is thin on experience, and where does Jones play? I am liking a third line with Jones and Ward, but they need a center, I'm sort of hoping it's Wilson or O'Reilly.

I guess I won't get too excited. Telling Santorelli to be ready to play wing is a long, long way from him getting significant minutes on any of the top three lines.

Old
08-26-2009, 01:45 PM
PredsChik

My wishful thinking wants Wilson to be a complete BAMF and take hold of the second line spot giving them no excuse to take it away from him.

Reality's telling me that we'll probably see Ward up there being only slightly more successful than last year.

Wishful thinking is so much more fun though!

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 01:54 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'm kind of in the camp that worries that Ward's 17 goals last season, something he barely accomplished in the MINOR league was a fluke, and that assuming he could play on the second line was a dangerous trap.

I feel as positive(or negative) about the idea of O'Reilly or Santorelli getting the job done, I guess. To be honest, Ryan Jones may be the best option.

Well, no...not the best option. The BEST option would be Scott Hartnell...

Old
08-26-2009, 02:16 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Glad to see that the coaching staff and I see eye-to-eye on Santorelli's positional development.

I hope that can spark his offense; otherwise, he'll just be another Rich Peverley...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 03:05 PM
predfan24

Santo won't even be in the NHL halfway through the season, much less the 2nd line.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 03:24 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
My wishful thinking wants Wilson to be a complete BAMF and take hold of the second line spot giving them no excuse to take it away from him.

Reality's telling me that we'll probably see Ward up there being only slightly more successful than last year.

Wishful thinking is so much more fun though!
I have the same wish. I think Wilson is a BAMF. My hope though has been that he centers a third line and we roll three good lines. And his first season he doesn't have to play second line minutes. But I also hope the second line gets that third quality player it desperately needs.

Maybe that's Wilson. I would think he could play wing, np and it could be really good line. Jones on the second line doesn't excite me as much. But I really, really want to see three good lines with both the second and third improved this year in scoring. It sort of felt like 2 and a half lines, at best, last season.

Lots of opportunity and we sure have a lot of bodies to try for those spots. Young players with some potential upside, instead of the vets who's ceiling we were aware of. I am not at all worried that Ward won't have another good year. He's steady and you can see his hockey experience. But he won't make the second line great. I'm still wondering who will be the player to do that.

I am one who hopes we catch lightening in a bottle with Eaves, and he makes the squad and stays healthy and plays great. THAT is wishful thinking, lol. But it's fun to think about.

Goc will also play. But that may be more specialty minutes. Maybe Hornqvist now is ready for third line, with Wilson or O'Reilly, Ward. With Jones on the second?

Last edited by OpenWheel: 08-26-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old
08-26-2009, 03:27 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I have the same wish. I think Wilson is a BAMF. My hope though has been that he centers a third line and we roll three good lines. And his first season he doesn't have to play second line minutes. But I also hope the second line gets that third quality player it desperately needs.

Maybe that's Wilson. I would think he could play wing, np and it could be really good line. Jones on the second line doesn't excite me as much. But I really, really want to see three good lines with both the second and third improved this year in scoring. It sort of felt like 2 and a half lines, at best, last season.

Lots of opportunity and we sure have a lot of bodies to try for those spots. Young players with some potential upside, instead of the vets who's ceiling we were aware of. I am not at all worried that Ward won't have another good year. He's steady and you can see his hockey experience. But he won't make the second line great. I'm still wondering who will be the player to do that.

I am one who hopes we catch lightening in a bottle with Eaves, and he makes the squad and stays healthy and plays great. THAT is wishful thinking, lol. But it's fun to think about.

Goc will also play. But that may be more specialty minutes.
2 and a half lines is pretty generous. It was more like one and a half, frankly.

Old
08-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Glad to see that the coaching staff and I see eye-to-eye on Santorelli's positional development.

I hope that can spark his offense; otherwise, he'll just be another Rich Peverley...
As ShortShifts can attest, I was assaulted over there by their posters when I suggested that Santorelli would be best suited moving to the wing to continue his development...

Much like with Legwand, a move to the wing allows Santorelli to utilize his speed to create offense and also allows him to operate with a shoot-first, ask questions later attitude anytime he gets the puck in the offensive end.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 03:33 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
2 and a half lines is pretty generous. It was more like one and a half, frankly.
Yeah. It was. I was trying to be nice. I guess I was thinking after the return of Sully. But Leggy really turned it up after Christmas last year. Not his or Erat's fault we didn't have a higher quality help. Ward did ok. So after Sullivan returned we had two pretty good lines.

We have to hope they find the right third guy and that line can reach their potential and play at a high level all season. And have the third line chip in a lot more.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 08-26-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old
08-26-2009, 03:48 PM
cjerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Much like with Legwand, a move to the wing allows Santorelli to utilize his speed to create offense and also allows him to operate with a shoot-first, ask questions later attitude anytime he gets the puck in the offensive end.
Plus it moves him from the faceoff circle, where he was horrid.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 04:39 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
As ShortShifts can attest, I was assaulted over there by their posters when I suggested that Santorelli would be best suited moving to the wing to continue his development...

So wouldn't it be better if Wilson plays well and centers a Legwand, Erat line? A playmaking power forward to feed Erat and Legwand.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
So wouldn't it be better if Wilson plays well and centers a Legwand, Erat line? A playmaking power forward to feed Erat and Legwand.
IMO, Wilson should not be playing top-six minutes at even-strength this season. Rather, at best, he should be playing third line minutes with a strong dose of PP time to boost his average TOI to around 16-18 minutes per night.

I've actually been preaching a second line of O'Reilly between Legwand and Erat to play to O'Reilly's excellent playmaking strengths. I figured Santorelli would be moved to the wing, but would spend time in Milwaukee adjusting to the position change prior to getting a shot in Nashville on the wing.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 08-26-2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added to original post.
Old
08-26-2009, 05:30 PM
echlfreak

So they are going to put a player that produced no points, looked like a deer in head lights and is far from NHL ready on the SECOND LINE

O'Reilly, Wilson or Ward should all be way ahead of Santorelli!!!

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 05:46 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Why? I've only been calling for it for two years now...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
So they are going to put a player that produced no points, looked like a deer in head lights and is far from NHL ready on the SECOND LINE

Umm, it's a sink or swim training camp experiment for Santorelli. Obviously, O'Reilly is penciled into the third line center role with Jones and Ward on the wings and Wilson is going to have to blow away the competition to not start in Milwaukee. I don't have a problem with any of it...

Old
08-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Why? I've only been calling for it for two years now...
Agreed, he has actually been listed as a wing since he turned pro too, despite playing center. I assume it has to do with their experience seeing him excel as a center at the AHL level.

Old
08-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Jarnberg

Sounds like there will be a good fight between Santorelli, Jones, Ward, Hornqvist, and O'Reilly for the second line position and so be it.

Say Santorelli wins the spot, what do you guys think happens with the third line?

Jones - O'Reilly - Ward ?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post

Judging by your reasoning above, how is Wilson ahead of Santorelli?

What has Wilson done to prove that he is more NHL ready than Santorelli?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 07:21 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
What has Wilson done to prove that he is more NHL ready than Santorelli?
Passed the eyeball test.

Old
08-26-2009, 10:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

At least Trotz is considering playing an offensive player on an offensive line. In the past, you could bet Tootoo or Guite would be on the second line to provide "grit," while Santorelli would be buried on the fourth line with Smithson and Belak.

Some progress!