HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free agent talk

Old
08-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
Incoming complaining about Prospal signing with the Rangers for $1.1 million.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Soundgarden

Only 1.1, what a signing.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:33 AM
echlfreak

food stamps anyone

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Prospal reunites with Tortorella and stays in the Eastern Conference. I would have liked him to come here at that price, but glad he isn't in the West...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:38 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

I am both unsurprised and extremely frustrated. I'm trying to hold out hope for Tanguay or even Afinogenov, but now I fully expect us to go into training camp with what we have now, which I dont' think we will make the playoffs with, even if it is an improvement on last year's team.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Its pretty unbelievable that we weren't in on Prospal. i'm not trying to complain, but come on.....The way Poile operates is maddening.

08-16-2009, 12:00 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I am both unsurprised and extremely frustrated. I'm trying to hold out hope for Tanguay or even Afinogenov, but now I fully expect us to go into training camp with what we have now, which I dont' think we will make the playoffs with, even if it is an improvement on last year's team.
That's kind of my take, as well. This was pretty much my last hope that we were going to add one more forward before camp, but it's pretty clear now that we're going with what we have. Pretty disappointing and frustrating.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Its pretty unbelievable that we weren't in on Prospal. i'm not trying to complain, but come on.....The way Poile operates is maddening.
I think we were in on it.. maybe Prospal wanted to go back with torz and took a pay cut to do that.. I find it hard to believe no one offered him more then 1.1..
I think this was just a case of he didn't want to come here

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 01:23 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
I think we were in on it.. maybe Prospal wanted to go back with torz and took a pay cut to do that.. I find it hard to believe no one offered him more then 1.1..
I think this was just a case of he didn't want to come here

I agree with this. I can't believe no one offered him a better contract than that. I know Poile wanted a one year contract and I'm sure he offered more than 1.1. This sounds like a case where Prospal just wanted to go to New York and took a paycut to do so. Still disappointing nonetheless.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

What exactly makes you so sure that Poile offered him more than 1.1 million? He has already stated he feels like the roster is complete and that if anyone came in, it would be in a certain role. I doubt he offered much more than a million....he might not have even made a formal offer.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
What exactly makes you so sure that Poile offered him more than 1.1 million? He has already stated he feels like the roster is complete and that if anyone came in, it would be in a certain role. I doubt he offered much more than a million....he might not have even made a formal offer.
The way I'm looking at it, we have $1-$1.5 million of budget space to spend on one more player if they choose to pursue another free agent. I think it'll come down to two factors, a) does the organization feel that Colin Wilson is ready to play in the NHL and b) does the team have anyone that has agreed to come into camp on a tryout deal?

We have one roster spot open in Nashville for a forward...11 of the 12 spots are taken and the two reserve spots will be fought for by a select group. There is an opening at second line wing. If Wilson is ready, he plays center and Legwand bumps to the wing for our second line or...if Wilson is ready, but they want to limit his minutes initially, then O'Reilly centers the second line with Legwand bumped to the wing. If Wilson is not ready, then about 10 scenarios immediately pop into my head for our lineup and only two involve going outside the organization.

People have to remember that there are strict limitations on the final roster spot. It should be a contract for ideally less than $1 million, it hopefully would be a two-way deal (if a non-established NHL player) to provide flexibility, and IT MUST BE a one-year deal to not put a huge stumbling block in the development path of several of our top prospects that should be ready by season's end.

I still believe that we are in great shape overall as an organization and am confident in the roster on hand to make us compete for a playoff spot. I do, however believe that in order to avoid needing a few career years out of surprise players though, that we do need one more top-nine winger (yes, top-nine, not necessarily top-six...Ward, Jones, or O'Reilly could easily slide up onto the second line if Wilson is ready or a solid 3rd line center (Malhotra or Moore) is brought in).

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:09 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

While we may NEED Ward, Jones or O'Reilly to "slide on to the second line" in the event Wilson isn't ready, I wouldn't say that any of those three can "easily" do that. Ward has a lot to prove to show that his 17 goals...something that wasn't typical for him even in the minor league...wasn't a fluke. O'Reilly did absolutely squat when moved off of Sullivan's line, and Jones was the definition of inconsistent. It just feels like we're "making places" for guys that aren't in a position that makes a clear statement that a place SHOULD be made. When Radulov was called up...he made a statement. When Weber was called up...he made a statement. Even when Rinne played his first games...he made a statement. Jones, O'Reilly...even Santorelli...have accomplished nothing to say "You can't NOT put me on your roster." It's just the easier, cheaper solution.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Jarnberg

So whats up with Cal O'Reilly? Do you think they are at odds over a one or two way deal or money issues?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 07:32 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Jones, O'Reilly...even Santorelli...have accomplished nothing to say "You can't NOT put me on your roster." It's just the easier, cheaper solution.
O'Reilly had a 50% shooting percentage (3 of 6) and a plus two last year. So at least that's something. (Better than Santorelli's 0-11 shooting.) And just over a point a game in Milwaukee the last two years. And O'Reilly will just turn 23 this September.

So no, he didn't nail down a roster spot last year. And not a top two statement. But we can hope he does so this year. We have to hope someone makes that sort of statement, you're right.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 07:33 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
So whats up with Cal O'Reilly? Do you think they are at odds over a one or two way deal or money issues?
Maybe he's reading mine and others posts and thinks he's worth top two line money.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote