HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton/Montreal

Old
08-26-2009, 01:22 AM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
The way Oilers fans complain about Horcoff they would gladly shed that salary. No thanks on a guy who had one solid run and seems to never had lived up to it since, he is a good player but just can't get it together and for 5.5 million I would rather see more bang for my buck.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 08:12 AM
PunkinDrublic*

It's funny to see all the Laraque bashers say yes.
They would do anything to get rid of BGL, even taking on a player who's contract terminates in 2015 with a cap hit this year of 5,5 million...

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Horcoff is good, would've said yes if it wasn't for his contract.
Pretty much. On face value this deal works, but Horcoff's contract is horrible. No way would I take that on.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I think Horcoff, the player, would be a great pickup for the Habs and a definite upgrade on Plekanec.

However, as others have already pointed out, the contract is a killer for us. Balancing this-year dollars doesn't really help. With the raises coming to Price and perhaps a few others next season, we were already looking at the almost-certainty of losing Plekanec. Now you're taking the much-needed cash we would have freed up when Pleks walks, and putting a significant amount more on Horcoff's deal. It's not feasible.

We'd have to find a way to get rid of more after-this-year dollars to make the deal work. The only real way to do that would be by giving up Hamrlik and getting a cheaper-but-still-good defenseman back. Hence why a Hamrlik-Smid component had been mentioned in this type of scenario before.

But even then it's complicated, because Hamrlik can bring so much to our defense corps, even if he is overpriced, it's hard to stomach moving him mostly as a salary-balancer. I'd probably want to charge a premium to do so, and I don't think other teams should or would be interested in paying that premium.

Horcoff + Smid + premium
for
Plekanec + Hamrlik + Laraque

where the "premium" could be a 1st round pick or something roughly equivalent? I wouldn't consider it from an Edmonton perspective. But I'd need something on that order from a Habs perspective. So it probably can't work.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Habs fans should know better than this. As Gainey has shown, all it takes is one GM to take any contract if the player can provide something a team needs. Montreal needs a #2 center who can contribute 50-65 points while also anchoring face-off and PK duties. Horcoff can do those things and he's fairly durable and in great shape.
True, but at this point Montreal is not that team.

There were a number of reasons to bite the bullet on Gomez when we did, and i think those have been discussed to death on the boards.

We are not in a position where we need Horcoff that desperately to take on that horrible contract.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 11:43 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

I would seriously consider upgrading a Plekanec to a Horcoff.

It as been stated, validated and confirmed that we need size and grit in the middle. That our secondary scoring needs consistency and that face-offs are key to puck possession.

Of all of our prospects none will answer the call, perhaps Leblanc in a few years. Ask yourself if Maxwell is really an answer. If not, go get Horcoff until we do get someone from the farm system to replace him. On the other hand, if Maxwell fits the bill, than lets bide our time with Plekanec for one more year. Hopefully, Maxwell will have blossomed into a solid centerman.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2009, 11:55 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
I would seriously consider upgrading a Plekanec to a Horcoff.

It as been stated, validated and confirmed that we need size and grit in the middle. That our secondary scoring needs consistency and that face-offs are key to puck possession.

Of all of our prospects none will answer the call, perhaps Leblanc in a few years. Ask yourself if Maxwell is really an answer. If not, go get Horcoff until we do get someone from the farm system to replace him. On the other hand, if Maxwell fits the bill, than lets bide our time with Plekanec for one more year. Hopefully, Maxwell will have blossomed into a solid centerman.
I'd rather keep Plekanec then trade for Horcoff and his brutal contract. Gainey's moves have locked up our roster so now he has to be very careful with the cap going forward.

I'm in the group that says the cap will not drop big time like many seem to be suggesting for the 2010-2011 season, but at this time, it would be very risky to add another large contract. On top of that, I'm not a big fan of Horcoff and think Pleks will rebound this year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote