HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Is the Red vs White game tonight being Televised?

Old
08-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Bartcal
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast View Post
Doubt the SCRIMMAGE was recorded, unless it was recorded amaturely, which sucks.
Um, no. It was recorded. If you look, I think you can see the replay, or at least read all the chat - I just did.

Bartcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 01:48 AM
Noeller

Had a pretty good time at the game tonight. Boy did Hockey Canada ever do things up right for this. They were saying 16k+ in attendance for this one, and it sure looked full. Crowd was fairly knowledgeable and knew who to cheer and who to boo. Heatley did NOT see the love tonight, and there was a noticeable smattering of boos for Cleary as well.

-Brodeur stole the show. The guy is not ready for a changing of the guard just yet and looked like a Vezina winner several times, including stopping Rick Nash point blank on a one timer in the 1st.

-Carter and Richards were together all night and looked pretty good out there. Had some rough spots early on, but got it together as the night went on and popped one eventually.

-Pronger is a beast, and Duncan Keith might just be the most under-rated player in the league. As solid as they come.

-Nobody told Ryan Smythe and Shane Doane that they were only given courtesy invites to camp. Those guys looked READY tonight and were constantly around the puck, making things happen.

-Lucic was BEGGING for a chance to smoke someone.

-Iginla and Toews looked good together and were very close to making something happen, but were just a little "off". Chemistry not quite there.

-Crosby and Thornton looked soft on the puck and both coughed it up a few times. Crosby spent a lot of time floating at the far blue line waiting for a pass.

That's just a few thoughts from the Row 7 Club Seats - off to bed now. Anyone else??

Noeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 03:10 AM
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

Pretty good 'scrimmage,' it managed to pretty much fill the 'Dome.

Personal Thoughts:

Veterans Iginla and Neidermayer looked pretty content not doing much all night. Neidermayer coughed it up to give up a 2-on-0 which lead to a spectacular Brodeur save. Iginla was replaced by St.Louis on the Crosby-Nash line.

Luongo and Brodeur are the best. It was a pleasure watching them. Fleury and Ward are clearly in a 3/4 battle which will be decided on the upcoming season.

Steve Mason was scored on in the shootout high blocker 5/6 times. Hopefully, this isn't the equivalent of Raycroft's glove hand throughout his career. I would never jump to such a conclusion, but the thought flashed through my mind.

Keith and Bouwmeester belong on this team. Phaneuf and Regher not so much. Hamhuis and Doughty looked right at home as well, should be interesting to see who makes it.

Thats all I can think of for now, it was awesome to see all these players on one ice surface.

Buttonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 11:37 AM
The Big Jankowski

Players that stood out for me:

Obviously Luongo and Brodeur put on a goaltending clinic.
Jeff Carter was using his speed well all night, good chemistry with Richards.
Corey Perry has a great nose for the net, especially in tight.
I liked Brent Burns game last night, gets his shots through with little effort.
Jordan Staal really surprised me with his puck pursuit.
I disagree with the poster above on Regehr, I thought he looked solid out there especially in the defensive zone.

The Big Jankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 10:21 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noeller View Post

-Nobody told Ryan Smythe and Shane Doan that they were only given courtesy invites to camp.
Why wouldn't Doan have a shot at the team? He is always one of the most important players for Canada.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Why wouldn't Doan have a shot at the team? He is always one of the most important players for Canada.
I'd venture that it's because many figure someone younger and better, like Corey Perry, can fill his role well enough.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Noeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
I'd venture that it's because many figure someone younger and better, like Corey Perry, can fill his role well enough.
Exactly - it's time for a changing of the guard, in theory. Guys like Ryan Smyth and Shane Doan were at the camp because of their long history of supporting Team Canada at events, but let's be honest - we need to change things up at some point, especially if there's a younger guy that can do the job as well or better.

Now, with that said, my post was pretty clear - Doan and Smyth were dynamite in the Red White Game and looked like they belong. As with any tournament, though, it's going to come down to who's playing really well to start this season.

Noeller is offline   Reply With Quote