HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers had Serious Trade Discussions With Boston regarding Kessel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-28-2009, 04:51 AM
  #1
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,309
vCash: 500
Rangers had Serious Trade Discussions With Boston regarding Kessel

Quote:
The Rangers are believed to have talked seriously with the Bruins about trading for Kessel, but not lately. At least two other teams are believed to have stepped up their bidding of late. Kessel is rehabbing from rotator cuff surgery, but may be ready to skate when camps open next month.
Quote:
Once Oct. 1 passes, the Bruins would be unable to match any Group 2 offer sheets, and would thus receive draft-pick compensation for Kessel. For salaries between $4.520 million and $6.026 million, compensation is a first-, second- and third-round pick.
Quote:
Kessel would fill a major need for either the Rangers or the thus-far uninvolved Devils, both in serious need of a No. 1 center -- one with blazing speed, a major scoring touch and defensive skills, as well.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08282009...bid_186901.htm

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:59 AM
  #2
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,941
vCash: 500
It's Mark Everson.Or Neverson.

Neverson is telling the Rangers and Devils to get involved with Kessel before Boston trades him somewhere else. What a reporter?

Defensive skills?

Love the "believed" reference.

The Bruins could match an offer after October 1.

He is clueless.

Neverson used to be the Rangers beat writer and these were the articles he would constantly write.

Thankfully he is off the Rangers beat.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 05:31 AM
  #3
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,907
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
It's Mark Everson.Or Neverson.

Neverson is telling the Rangers and Devils to get involved with Kessel before Boston trades him somewhere else. What a reporter?

Defensive skills?

Love the "believed" reference.

The Bruins could match an offer after October 1.

He is clueless.

Neverson used to be the Rangers beat writer and these were the articles he would constantly write.

Thankfully he is off the Rangers beat.
What he is saying is that, with all teams having to be cap compliant as of October 1st, there's no real way for them to match the offer-sheet.

Could they up and trade players that make the same amount as the offer-sheet in the 7 days allotted for decision making purposes? Absolutely they can, but they would have to trade some very good players and the question begs "would it be worth it to deal off your depth, or take the compensation?

I personally don't see Sather taking that route, but that's not to say that some other GM couldn't or wouldn't.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 05:50 AM
  #4
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,486
vCash: 3743
We don't have our third round pick (LA - Boyle trade), so an offer sheet really isn't an option.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 05:54 AM
  #5
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
What he is saying is that, with all teams having to be cap compliant as of October 1st, there's no real way for them to match the offer-sheet.

Could they up and trade players that make the same amount as the offer-sheet in the 7 days allotted for decision making purposes? Absolutely they can, but they would have to trade some very good players and the question begs "would it be worth it to deal off your depth, or take the compensation?

I personally don't see Sather taking that route, but that's not to say that some other GM couldn't or wouldn't.
Why the Bruins be unable to match the offer sheet? Which team is stepping up with offer sheet for Kessel? Or an offer sheet which would a high enough number Boston would be unable to match?

All of the Post guys including Brooks are pro-labor. How many times has Brooks written Dubinsky is vulnerable to an offer sheet?It's August 29. Where is the sheet? He mentioned Vancouver as a possibility. Their GM Mike Gillis learned his lesson after he offer sheeted David Backes and John Davidson gave Steve Bernier an offer sheet.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 06:09 AM
  #6
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,941
vCash: 500
Peter Forsberg is attempting another comeback.He is playing in exhibition games with MoDo.

Forbserg to the Rangers(e4). It will be up later today.

Quote:
"The real feeling with the puck is not there," Forsberg told reporters in Switzerland. "You need a couple of games to get into it."

Most important, though, Forsberg's foot didn't act up.

"It felt really good, no problems at all," Forsberg said.
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...182?source=rss

Forsberg to Gaborik...it's a power play goal

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 06:24 AM
  #7
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,170
vCash: 500
Where is the cap space for all of these supposed deals? We are supposed to trade Dubinsky for Richards, but Dallas has zero interest in Redden or Roszival... we have to find a 3rd partner but its gonna happen. We are supposed to trade Dubinsky and Roszival for Heatley even though that deal plus Zherdev wasn't enough. Let me guess, Dubinsky+ for Kessel. Boston is over the cap already so forget about sending anything back in terms of salary. How do we add Kessel's new salary of over $4m (probably more) without sending something back or elsewhere? Nobody has the cap or budget space anymore.

When there is an E5 for Redden getting waived or a red hot rumor about Roszival getting traded for a 2nd rounder I'll start buying this crap.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 07:11 AM
  #8
Cermi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Peter Forsberg is attempting another comeback.He is playing in exhibition games with MoDo.

Forbserg to the Rangers(e4). It will be up later today.



http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...182?source=rss

Forsberg to Gaborik...it's a power play goal
Very unlikely, but if he shows up in the camp and wouldnt want a lot of money, why not? We could always bench him...

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 07:18 AM
  #9
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Mr Bojanglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: From Jersey w/ Love
Country: United States
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
was he implying that Kessel is a center?

Or just simply stating that both the Devils and Rangers needed a center.

Because either way the NYR has their RW. New Jersey could definitely use him as an upgrade, but have bigger problems elsewhere

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 07:29 AM
  #10
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,578
vCash: 500
Forsberg to Gaborik...it's a power play goal

One of my Fave players all time... I so WANT to believe that he can still play...and will sign a one year "let me show you" deal with the Rangers

Forsberg

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 07:42 AM
  #11
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,907
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Why the Bruins be unable to match the offer sheet? Which team is stepping up with offer sheet for Kessel? Or an offer sheet which would a high enough number Boston would be unable to match?

All of the Post guys including Brooks are pro-labor. How many times has Brooks written Dubinsky is vulnerable to an offer sheet?It's August 29. Where is the sheet? He mentioned Vancouver as a possibility. Their GM Mike Gillis learned his lesson after he offer sheeted David Backes and John Davidson gave Steve Bernier an offer sheet.
Why? Because they are pretty much at the cap limit right now. According to Capgeek, they are actually at 58+ million with 3 million in bonuses (so they are approx. 1.1 under the cap)

Any offer sheet worthy of signing is going to be in the 4+ to 5+ million range. The Bruins, without moving any 2 of Sturm, Recchi, Begin, Ryder, Kobasew, Bergeron will not have the room needed financially to accomodate a salary of 5 million.

What team would be willing to extend an offersheet? Not sure what teams would actually be Willing, but the following teams are able to.

Toronto (7 million under and they wanted Kessel in the Kabs deal)
Tampa they have 10 million available to them
LA Kings have 9 available to them

There's at least 10 teasm that have the financial freedom to extend an offer-sheet. Whether they have the compensation it would require I do not know.

Also, I don't think you can discount the vulnerability of Offer-Sheets because one hasn't been extended yet. Any RFA out there can be approached at any time. There's nothing to prevent that from happening and again, just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean that is can't or won't.

I think if you operate under that assumption, you are setting yourself up disappointment.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 07:46 AM
  #12
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,907
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Where is the cap space for all of these supposed deals? We are supposed to trade Dubinsky for Richards, but Dallas has zero interest in Redden or Roszival... we have to find a 3rd partner but its gonna happen. We are supposed to trade Dubinsky and Roszival for Heatley even though that deal plus Zherdev wasn't enough. Let me guess, Dubinsky+ for Kessel. Boston is over the cap already so forget about sending anything back in terms of salary. How do we add Kessel's new salary of over $4m (probably more) without sending something back or elsewhere? Nobody has the cap or budget space anymore.

When there is an E5 for Redden getting waived or a red hot rumor about Roszival getting traded for a 2nd rounder I'll start buying this crap.
That was a deal the Rangers turned down, not the other way around.

Supposedly Sather wasn't willing to include Dubinsky in the deal for Heatley.

Overall I agree with the point you are trying to make.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 07:56 AM
  #13
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,907
vCash: 500
.

just putzing around on Cap Geek

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / * Phil Kessel ($4.500m)
Ales Kotalik ($3.000m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m) / Chris Higgins ($2.250m)
Sean Avery ($1.938m) / Donald Brashear ($1.400m) / Vaclav Prospal ($1.100m)
Artem Anisimov ($0.822m) / * Brandon Dubinsky ($0.700m) / Brian Boyle ($0.525m)
DEFENSEMEN
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Michal Rozsival ($5.000m)
Daniel Girardi ($1.550m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
Mike Sauer ($0.847m) / Marc Staal ($0.827m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Steve Valiquette ($0.725m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 20; PAYROLL: $56.495m; CAP ROOM: $0.683m BONUSES: $0.378m

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 07:59 AM
  #14
nycbruins*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Peter Forsberg is attempting another comeback.He is playing in exhibition games with MoDo.

Forbserg to the Rangers(e4). It will be up later today.



http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...182?source=rss

Forsberg to Gaborik...it's a power play goal
First, to address the Kessel issue...Maybe if Gaborik gets hurt in the pre-season it would be a nice option, but calling Kessel a center with defensive skills pretty much kills the credibility. He may say he likes center, but the next great pass he makes might be his first. And Julien has taught him to hustle back into the play more and he has shown improvement, but he has no defensive skills to speak of besides his blazing speed gives him the ability to get back into the play when motivated.

As for Forsberg, I'm sure many of you will make snide comments and beg for him not to go to NY, but I think it would be great. Granted, it's not my team, but I would head to MSG to see my favorite player of his generation play again. I know there'll be plenty of jokes about the frailty of a Forsberg-Gaborik hook-up, but with some luck, you got yourself the 1st line C you were looking for without spending any real money or giving up assets. What's the worst that can happen? Sell a few extra tickets?


Last edited by nycbruins*: 08-28-2009 at 08:06 AM.
nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 08:04 AM
  #15
MadHookUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
The Rangers traded away their 3rd round pick. So they couldnt field an offer sheet if they wanted to, no?

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 08:09 AM
  #16
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,020
vCash: 500
I have tapes of the conversations that took place between the Bruins and Rangers:

Rangers: "Can we have Kessel?"

Bruins: "No"

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 08:31 AM
  #17
RangersFan
Registered User
 
RangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: LA, CA & NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Peter Forsberg is attempting another comeback.He is playing in exhibition games with MoDo.

Forbserg to the Rangers(e4). It will be up later today.



http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...182?source=rss

Forsberg to Gaborik...it's a power play goal
if he is willing to take a small contract this is a no brainer, small risk high reward

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 08:38 AM
  #18
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 9,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
First, to address the Kessel issue...Maybe if Gaborik gets hurt in the pre-season it would be a nice option, but calling Kessel a center with defensive skills pretty much kills the credibility. He may say he likes center, but the next great pass he makes might be his first. And Julien has taught him to hustle back into the play more and he has shown improvement, but he has no defensive skills to speak of besides his blazing speed gives him the ability to get back into the play when motivated.

As for Forsberg, I'm sure many of you will make snide comments and beg for him not to go to NY, but I think it would be great. Granted, it's not my team, but I would head to MSG to see my favorite player of his generation play again. I know there'll be plenty of jokes about the frailty of a Forsberg-Gaborik hook-up, but with some luck, you got yourself the 1st line C you were looking for without spending any real money or giving up assets. What's the worst that can happen? Sell a few extra tickets?
exacly what phil kessel is he speaking of ? what a clown.

kessel is clearly not a center and he isnt what the rangers need to address their issues. and i wasnt aware that kessel played any defense really.

hes an very fast offensive wing. a scorer. period. not really what we need.

the rest is just stupid.

as for forsberg, if he were really healthy, give him a tryout in camp and see what he does. cant hurt. did it to nedved last year and he looked pretty good really.

however, if you do that, that wont help dubinsky feel any better about his situation im sure.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 08:43 AM
  #19
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
hmmm interesting about Forsberg:

Prospal-Forsberg-Gabo
Drury-Dubi-Kotalik
Higgins-Ani-Cally
Avery-Boyle-Brashear

How do i know that people will still be pissed off about Avery being on the fourth line in that scenario? But really what other choice is there unless Ani plays in the AHL? I think this would be great b/c it wouldn't give Ani any pressure at all to succeed. We can develop him slowly in the NHL and forsberg could be an amazing mentor to him.

regarding Kessel - we don't have a 3rd round pick so we can't sign him. We don't have the cap room without trading some salary which Boston wouldn't want to take. The only Salary we would have his by trading Rosy which would leave a gaping hole defensively that we wouldn't be able to replace b/c Kessel would be taking the money. And no offdacrossbar Babchuck wouldn't fill that void... sorry to bust your bubble.

so bottom line, there is no freakin way we sign kessel without hurting our team in another way.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 09:02 AM
  #20
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Peter Forsberg is attempting another comeback.He is playing in exhibition games with MoDo.

Forbserg to the Rangers(e4). It will be up later today.



http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...182?source=rss

Forsberg to Gaborik...it's a power play goal
I think I'd rather have Sundin over Forsberg but its tough to say because both havent performed like they used to be able to. Forsberg has the problems with his foot and sundin was just out of shape and looked a lot slower from just the year before when he was with toronto.

Of course I'd love to get a young kessel but its probably unlikely. I'd take either sundin or forsberg. For me the picking of one of the two would come down to the asking price.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 09:11 AM
  #21
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
hmmm interesting about Forsberg:

Prospal-Forsberg-Gabo
Drury-Dubi-Kotalik
Higgins-Ani-Cally
Avery-Boyle-Brashear

How do i know that people will still be pissed off about Avery being on the fourth line in that scenario? But really what other choice is there unless Ani plays in the AHL? I think this would be great b/c it wouldn't give Ani any pressure at all to succeed. We can develop him slowly in the NHL and forsberg could be an amazing mentor to him.

regarding Kessel - we don't have a 3rd round pick so we can't sign him. We don't have the cap room without trading some salary which Boston wouldn't want to take. The only Salary we would have his by trading Rosy which would leave a gaping hole defensively that we wouldn't be able to replace b/c Kessel would be taking the money. And no offdacrossbar Babchuck wouldn't fill that void... sorry to bust your bubble.

so bottom line, there is no freakin way we sign kessel without hurting our team in another way.
Anisimov will be a 3rd line center without much pressure regardless...the Prospal signing all but ensured that. We dont need Petr Forsberg on this team for that to happen.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 09:22 AM
  #22
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
In a system where the coach actually wants you to be creative, Kessell to me strictly as a player would be a tremendous addition.

In a city that has a tendency to chew up and spit out hockey players, I have to wonder if Kessell has the kind of makeup to resist the temptations that can come on a nighly basis by living in NY.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 09:40 AM
  #23
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 20,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
In a system where the coach actually wants you to be creative, Kessell to me strictly as a player would be a tremendous addition.

In a city that has a tendency to chew up and spit out hockey players, I have to wonder if Kessell has the kind of makeup to resist the temptations that can come on a nighly basis by living in NY.
I'm not sure Kessel's that kind of kid. He comes across as more of a homebody than anything. Anyway, he would be a godsend on the wing, but it's all talk.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 09:51 AM
  #24
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
salary cap.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 09:56 AM
  #25
AXN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
It would mean Dubinsky and a 1st and Dumping salay. They will not take Rozsival.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.