HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Forsberg attempting another comeback

Old
08-28-2009, 03:08 PM
AC Le Rock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
i know flyers fans like to compare foppa to giroux. can you imagine giroux learning FROM foppa?
whoaaaaa, what a thought that is. man oh man...

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 03:09 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Can't wait for the deadline when Eklund has him going to Vancouver, Philly, or NYR...

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Koffein

It's a bit funny when people says that he sucks. I'm not that big of a fan despite being a swede, but you have to give credit where credit is due. A healthy Forsberg is among the most dominant players in the world, and even though these past years have been a pathetic cirkus with his injuries and all, from what I've heard the foot problem is shaping up.
Also, playing in some charity game this summer (Ice Breakers?) he was leading in TOI among forwards. Not a very good argument, I know, but still a slightly promising sign. Let's just hope for the best so we can see one of the best players of the past decade have a worthy end to an amazing career.

Koffein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Well... It is Peter Forsberg we are talking about. This isn't a Jason Allison case, this is a Forsberg case, and in such a case I think any team would be crazy to not be interested in taking a risk on Forsberg. If he is healthy enough to be on the ice then he should be because he can still put up the points...

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Jim Morrison

scored tonight in a 1-2 loss. think it was on the penalty shots though

Jim Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 04:06 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
I'm not sure he'd go anywhere but Colorado, despite most posts in this thread and "rumors" on the internet.

His comments last year as to why he didn't return to the NHL: “Time ran out. I am still not 100%. But my foot feels better than when I returned to Avalanche last winter.

“I considered returning to the Avalanche, but they are struggling (losing six of their past seven) and I didn't want to take any space under the salary cap. I didn’t want to return to the Flyers after all my foot problems the last time I was there.”

My guess if he's played his last NHL game.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 06:46 PM
AO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 Pronger D PHI View Post
how can people give this guy **** for doing everything he possibly can to play hockey? hockey is his life and he clearly loves playing or he would have quit 10 years ago...in an era where we question the commitment of most athletes its refreshing to me to see a guy who just wants to play and is not going to let years of frustration stand in his way

this guy has more heart then the rest of the current league combined and everyone rips him bc they dont like the story

well, haters i say to you....**** off....dont open the thread if you dont want to read about it
^This
Notice I removed the last part.

I would pay ANYTHING to see him play one more time.

AO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 07:01 PM
DeVries*

1M$ for 1 yr in Montreal.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 07:19 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
if teams would only offer these guys the league minimum this nonsense would stop ..same with sundin ,,,,,they just aint that good anymore .i bet even the players that work their nuts off get tired of these money grabbing comebacks .
Comparing Forsberg to Sundin is a huge insult to Peter. Sundin was/is just looking for an easy way to make some dough and get a ring. Forsberg just wants to compete with the best again.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Sens Rule

I'd love him on the Sens. If he thought he really was healthy enough that he could play at least 40 games and the playoffs I'd give him $1.5 million and bonuses based on games played of $1 million if he reaches 40 games and $500K for each 5 games played over 40 games. So if he can play 70 games he makes $5.5 million.

A fair contract. I am sure there are about 10-15 GM's in the league that are thinking of making some kind of offer that is similar to this if indeed Forsberg is pain free.

The upside of Forberg is so huge. Even if he only plays 15 games if he can be healthy in the playoffs he is still a very, very good player.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 08:50 PM
superpie

Send a message via AIM to superpie
I don't know. Sharks did clear up cap room for something. I could be optimistic..

superpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 09:14 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Good luck Pete....

King In The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
take Allison with you.
this post made my day.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:02 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Peter, do yourself, and everyone else a favour, don't even bother.

You're broken, kid.
Fans who tell players, let alone future HOF players, when to end their professional careers, should do "everyone" a favor...and don't even bother.

Such self importance. Such a lack of respect. Such nerve.

Bet these ingrate types would have loved telling the often-injured Bobby Orr and Mario to just give it up at the end of their respective careers, too?

Here's a better idea...give up your profession, if you have one. (Like being told how to run your life? )

What kind of a hockey fan would discourage one of the best players of this generations from coming back to the NHL, to grace us with his elite play?

Last edited by Trottier: 08-29-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:26 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I mean, if he comes back with no more problems, so be it, and hope the best for whoever picks him up in the future.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:49 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Fans who tell players, let alone future HOF players, when to end their professional careers, should do "everyone" a favor...and don't even bother.

Such self importance. Such a lack of respect. Such nerve.

Bet these ingrate types would have loved telling the often-injured Bobby Orr and Mario to just give it up at the end of their respective careers, too?

Here's a better idea...give up your profession, if you have one. (Like being told how to run your life? )

What kind of a hockey fan would discourage one of the best players of this generations from coming back to the NHL, to grace us with his elite play?
Of course I agree. However even watching players NOT be as good as they were and change their games is fun to watch. Still got a kick watching an aging Gilmour play for the Habs in the playoffs. Watching Andrychuk become a checking line leader and helping Tampa to a cup. Watching Gary Roberts play in any game he did play in even his last few seasons.

Fact is FEW players that stay on a long time aftert their peak or try to come back from injuries embarass themselves. Chelios was making big plays in the playoffs in his mid forties... is he the Chelly we knew in the early 90's? Not even close. He is still enjoyable to watch? For sure.

Clearly it should always be the players (and GMs choice) when to retire and when to play. If some team wants you to play for them.. then you can. Teams aren't stupid... they won't pay you and slot you into the lineup if you can no longer earn that spot. If Chelly wants to be a 7th or 8th D-Man then good for him.

Fans pay the salaries of players. But players get to decide when they should leave and GM's and coaches decide who is no longer good enough to put on the ice. Fans deserve some respect but all they can ask of their team is to dress the best line-up possible. The fact some fan is hurt that some superstar of yore is now just a 3rd or 4th liner or depth player is not important.

That said I think Peter Forsberg has alot left if he can get his feet to agree. He is not at the place of taking a role other than the one he has had since the lockout. Mario came back after a 4 year layoff and while clearly not as slim he was actually better than when he left in many ways because he was healthy... all that time off did not let his brain rot but it did let all those nagging injuries that never heal.. to heal. Forsberg has played so little for so long that he probably feels really healthy. All those myraid of injuries that don't even heal totally in the offseason likely feel so good. If he can get his feet to agree... I think he could be extremely effective playing the more perimeter game he did in Nashville and Philly. No PK, less physicallity, 17 mins a game instead of 20+.. I think he could still easily be a valuable PPG player this season.

Old
08-29-2009, 02:56 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2010 Sens Rule View Post
I'd love him on the Sens. If he thought he really was healthy enough that he could play at least 40 games and the playoffs I'd give him $1.5 million and bonuses based on games played of $1 million if he reaches 40 games and $500K for each 5 games played over 40 games. So if he can play 70 games he makes $5.5 million.

A fair contract. I am sure there are about 10-15 GM's in the league that are thinking of making some kind of offer that is similar to this if indeed Forsberg is pain free.

The upside of Forberg is so huge. Even if he only plays 15 games if he can be healthy in the playoffs he is still a very, very good player.
I'm fairly certain there are rules in the CBA that limit what type of bonuses can be offered... I don't think you can have multi-layered bonuses based on one criteria (games played). Though I could be wrong...?

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 03:05 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I'm fairly certain there are rules in the CBA that limit what type of bonuses can be offered... I don't think you can have multi-layered bonuses based on one criteria (games played). Though I could be wrong...?
Actually I think it very possible to do something similar to what I am saying if a player is 35+ or has a bunch of recent injuries.. or both. I am no cap expert.. I know normally bonuses are only allowed to entry level players and olderéinjured players. Guys like Shanahan and stuff get bonuses in their contract.

Maybe exactly what I stated is not possible but I am pretty sure EXACTLY what I proposed is allowed. And those bonuses woudl affect the cap the next year if they were met.. lowering next years cap. There is some kind of limitations on the cap for bonuses that COULD be made (still possible in the season) but have not yet. I am no capoligists but I have a pretty decent grasp of it.

But whatever.. please any cap experts correct my proposed contract for Forsberg.. is that legalÉ How much cap space this year would you need to offer a 1.5 million contract with the potential to be as much as say 6 million or 6.5 million if 80 games are played.

Old
08-29-2009, 03:31 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Peter Forsberg is not Mats Sundin, he is still a good player and he would be able to contribute this season.
I'll gladly take Sundin over Forsberg at this point.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 03:49 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Sundin certainly isint garbage or anything but i still take forsberg everytime .

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 04:40 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Well as a Sens fan... I send my Captain to Sundin and say ,listen you made ridiculous cash last year... you made the most money of anyone that has EVER played hockey. Come to Ottawa... as I convince Forsberg to some to Ottawa and play on a line with Sundin on his left wing and Alfie on his RW.

Tell them both we won't ask for the minimum but that it is not about the money... it is about creating a dominant Swedish line and a really serious Cup Contender.

Tell them it is a one year chance... to ice a classic Swedish line on a team that can also ice Heatley-Spezza-Kovalev and a third line with Fisher on it.

And if they agree... then get them all on the phone to Kenny Jonnson to come back on the Sens this year.

Pipe dream but it has at least some potential.

Old
08-29-2009, 09:18 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
When he comes back, says he won't play unless he is 100% healthy, and either lies or was wrong (let's ask his 'circle of friends' in Sweden), and becomes more of an elite distraction, that tends to be a team killer, and he's done it for two of the three teams he's played for.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 04:36 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
When he comes back, says he won't play unless he is 100% healthy, and either lies or was wrong (let's ask his 'circle of friends' in Sweden), and becomes more of an elite distraction, that tends to be a team killer, and he's done it for two of the three teams he's played for.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Selanne00008

Call me silly, but I am a Forsberg fan (just like some that want him to hang it up). I am routing for him, and I hope he can make a comeback and put up 70+ points.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Ola

Forsberg is really playing down his chances in the press. To summarize all his interviews so far he is saying that there is "slim to zero" chances of him coming back.

But I don't know, the more negative he sounds -- while still coming back and playing games -- it really makes you wonder. My bet is that after what he have gone through lately he would not have try-ed unless he really thought he had a chance.

Realistically the odds of him coming back can't be big, his foot is a mess and the best doctors in the world have not been able to fix it and they have try-ed just about everything, now he have said that he have try-ed one more thing and will give that a go and will retire if it doesn't work. But the more negative he sounds, the more likely I think something really is going on.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote