HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The All-Time AAA11 Thread (sign-up, roster post, picks, etc)

Old
08-28-2009, 09:52 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Shalimov was on my radar in the MLD. I ended up settling on guys who fit my needs on the top-2 lines, then of course went with better 3rd-4th line guys for the bottom six, since Shalimov is a pretty pure offensive player. At one point, though, I was pretty sure I'd be taking him.

As a AAA first liner, he's as talented as they come.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Toledo selects RW Ran McDonald:

1912 PCHA First-Team All-Star
1913 PCHA First-Team All-Star
1914 PCHA First-Team All-Star
1916 PCHA Second-Team All-Star

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 11:29 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

McDonald was not an offensive juggernault, only once was top-5 in goals in that small league, but he was a regular secondary scorer, averaging a point per game.

The 197 PIM in 122 PCHA games is significant. A scoring line troublemaker.

Wish there was more info handy on him, descriptions, quotes, etc.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 11:47 AM
seventieslord

- Believe it or not, Billy Reay's been gone a long time:

649 - pitseleh - Nanaimo Clippers - Billy Reay, C

- I'd have looked really hard at Ran McDonald if I hadn't gotten Jack McDonald. VI is right that not much info exists on him. Here's what I was able to get in the last AA draft:

RW Ran McDonald

A gritty player who was a star in the PCHA - not at the level of the Dunderdales and Foystons, but right there with the Skinners, Wilsons, and Rileys.

- Stanley Cup Finalist (1918, 1919)
- PCHA 1st All-Star Team (1912, 1913, 1914)
- PCHA 2nd All-Star Team (1916)
- Played for all six PCHA Teams
- Top-10 in PCHA goals 4 times (4th, 6th, 6th, 8th)
- Top-10 in PCHA assists twice (6th, 9th)
- 91 goals, 29 assists, 120 points, 197 PIM in 122 PCHA Games
- 4 goals and 6 points in 8 PCHA Playoff/SCF games

Also, if I'm not mistaken, he got into some trouble with the law when he held up the arena ticket booth. Seriously!

So yeah, second line troublemaker is a good way to describe him.

Old
08-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
- Believe it or not, Billy Reay's been gone a long time:

649 - pitseleh - Nanaimo Clippers - Billy Reay, C
Just noticed that.

Toledo selects C Dutch Reibel:

1954 Stanley Cup Champion
1955 Stanley Cup Champion
7th in scoring 1954
4th in scoring 1955
8th in scoring 1956

Legends of Hockey:
Quote:
In 1953-54, Reibel finally joined the Wings lineup where he was placed on a line with Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsay. As a talented playmaker, Reibel scored at a very steady clip, helping his club to two Stanley Cup victories during his four and a half seasons with the team. In 1956, his Red Wing success was topped off with a Lady Byng Trophy for gentlemanly play.
Red Wings Legends:
Quote:
What a debut impression Reibel made. He assisted on all four Red Wings goals as Detroit knocked off the New York Rangers by a score of 4-1. That mark still stands as a NHL record for most assists by a player in his first NHL game (equalled by Roland Erksson of Minnesota in 1976).

The playmaking centerman found a home on a line with none other than Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsay.

"They were two of the greatest players. You couldn't beat them, not only as players but as gentlemen, too."

The now long forgotten Reibel was pretty good in his own right. He helped the Wings win Stanley Cups in 1954 and 1955. He was the winner of the 1956 Lady Byng trophy. He finished in the NHL's top ten in scoring in his first three seasons. And in 1954-55 he was the only player between 1950 and 1964 to lead the Red Wings in scoring not named Gordie Howe.

Old
08-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Also, if I'm not mistaken, he got into some trouble with the law when he held up the arena ticket booth. Seriously!
He's definitely going to be my team captain now

Old
08-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Triffy

I don't know if this is the guy seventies picked. Same name, different position.

LW Jack McDonald

D Albert Langlois

Triffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 08:02 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Halifax selects Jason Arnott, the two-way center who tied his career high in goals with 33 in just 65 games in 08/09 (matching 93/94 when his 33 goals landed him on the NHL all-rookie team), on pace to have 400 career goals if he were to play one more complete season, which would be his 16th year.

Played in NHL All-Star Game (1997, 2008)
Leading Playoff Scorer on the Stanley Cup winner (2000)

- amassed 364 goals, 827 NHL points in 1036 NHL games with 1150 PIMs
- 57 career GWGs
- 64 NHL playoff points in 100 NHL playoff games, none more famous than the 6'4, 220lbs. pivot's Stanley Cup-winning goal in double overtime, his 7th point in the six-game final series.

Quote:
Uses his size well, especially in the offensive zone, and likes to create space for his linemates. Has a terrific shot and is defensively responsible.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p.../Jason_Arnott/

Quote:
Arnott is a tough physical player that is hard to handle. He has good hands and is capable of performing at both ends of the ice.
http://hockeydraft.ca/players/jason-arnott.aspx

Old
08-29-2009, 08:03 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Halifax also selects as his winger Petr Sykora.

- did you know that he was a leader in points for the Ducks in their 2003 Stanley Cup Finals run?
- he led the Devils in goals in back-to-back Stanley Cup Finals runs in '00 and '01.
- 300 goals, 674 points in 921 NHL games over 13 seasons
- in six trips to the Stanley Cup Finals he has 69 points in 115 NHL games
- he may not have been a factor in his Stanley Cup in Pittsburgh but he notched 6 goals in the Pens previous Cup run, including the delivered guarantee he gave that he'd score the winning goal in 3rd overtime of game 5 of the 2008 cup finals for Pittsburgh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtnSuoew_1E

Old
08-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Triffy

Nice picks, VanI. I was targetting especially Arnott but ended up going to other direction. If he had more experience on wing, I would have picked him yesterday.

Old
08-29-2009, 08:14 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triffy View Post
Nice picks, VanI. I was targetting especially Arnott...
He was on the third line of a championship MLD10 team and really ought not to drop down to the AAA. Last season he scored goals at a 0.51% pace, top-10 in the league, and really was a dominant force over the 65 games he played, playing the role of power forward to a T on many highlight goals, really had a good year for his 15th season.

In contrast, Sykora ought to go about mid-AAA draft imo, but for chemistry reasons nab him a bit early.

Old
08-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Triffy

It'd be neat to know if I'll have to make a new pick or not.

Old
08-29-2009, 08:24 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
I don't know if this is the guy seventies picked. Same name, different position.

LW Jack McDonald
This IS a problem because there was a Jack McDonald who played RW for the NY Rangers and scored 19 points in 43 games in 1943-44, his only season in the big league.

We should assume seventieslord meant to draft the LW (or has evidence that he played RW too) since the pre-1925 McDonald appears to be much more deserving of all-time consideration.

Besides, according to the charity principle of interpretation (used in academic argumentation) we should assume seventieslord meant to draft the very same guy you identify.

Old
08-29-2009, 08:29 AM
Triffy

I noticed the RW guy too. I just thought there's a possibility of having third Jack McDonald as well. Someone who there's little info about. Someone seventies might know from his famous book collection.

I guess I'm stuck here until seventies shows up to clarify the problem. Because if the players we drafted were different as I originally assumed, and I now would change my pick because I don't believe in it anymore, it'd be against the no name dropping rule.

Last edited by Triffy: 08-29-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old
08-29-2009, 08:49 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Michigan drafts Russ Courtnall. The speedster has 83 points in the playoffs. He is fast, shifty, awesome at passing and good at killing penalties.

Who was a better player, Russ or his brother Geoff? That was often asked. Geoff went in the minor league draft so his brother is only a little behind.

Old
08-29-2009, 08:55 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Michigan drafts Mike Bullard. The center was twice top-10 in NHL goals. He had 329 goals in 727 games.

Old
08-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Toledo Selects:

RW Bud Poile

1947 Stanley Cup Champion
1948 2nd Team All-Star
5th in Points 1948

Legends of Hockey:
Quote:
Norman R. "Bud" Poile was a fine player and a superlative hockey executive. Success was a recurring theme in his career both on and off the ice. Poile's determination and positive outlook won him a legion of followers and admirers during his exemplary career.

Born in Fort William, Ontario, Poile was a local hero with a fine scoring touch and a deadly accurate shot. He was leading the Thunder Bay League in scoring when the Toronto Maple Leafs signed him to a professional contract in November 1942. He led Toronto in playoff scoring in 1943 and formed the effective "Flying Forts" line.

After serving in World War II, he returned to Toronto and won a Stanley Cup in 1947. Poile seemed set in Toronto but was stunned when he was one of the "five ordinary players" sent to Chicago for superstar centre Max Bentley. Poile went on to play for five of the Original Six teams, the lone exception being Montreal.
D Dale Tallon

3rd Defenceman Scoring 1971
3rd Defenceman Goal Scoring 1971
9th Defenceman Scoring 1972
5th Defenceman Goal Scoring 1972
7th Defenceman Goal Scoring 1975
5th Defenceman Scoring 1976
8th Defenceman Goal Scoring 1976

Legends of Hockey:
Quote:
Defenceman Dale Tallon possessed unquestionable skill with the puck and was a superior quarterback on the power play. He was also a rugged competitor whose solid career was overshadowed by Gilbert Perreault, the man picked just ahead of him in the Amateur Draft.

He was a fine playmaker and power-play point man for three years and was picked as an alternate for Canada at the 1972 Summit Series versus the USSR. Despite scoring 46 goals in three seasons for the club and playing in two all-star games, he paled in comparison to Perreault's exploits.

Following the 1972-73 season, the Canucks sent Tallon to the Chicago Black Hawks for Jerry Korab and Gary "Suitcase" Smith. He spent six years with the Hawks and was a fine two-way performer for the club. Tallon's best year was 1975-76 when he registered 62 points.

Last edited by Hedberg: 08-29-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old
08-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Rzeznik

With their 3rd and 4th picks in the 11th AAA draft, the Cumberland County Cool Blues are pleased to select first, a Minnesota North Star legend, from The Pas, Manitoba, defenceman...

Curt Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Curt Giles was a steady defenceman who could pass the puck up ice effectively. He played nearly 900 games for three different teams between 1979-80 and 1992-93 but was best known as a fixture on the Minnesota North Stars' blueline.

Born in The Pas, Manitoba, Giles played four years with the University of Minnesota-Duluth and was chosen 54th overall by the North Stars. He began the 1979-80 season with the CHL's Oklahoma City Stars but joined Minnesota when injuries hit their defence corps. Giles stepped in and showed surprising poise for a rookie while helping the team reach the semifinals. Along the way the young Stars defeated the Montreal Canadiens in the quarterfinals to end their four-Cup dynasty.

Beginning in 1980-81 Giles was a regular for over six years in Minnesota and helped the squad reach the Stanley Cup final for the first time in franchise history in 1981. The next year, after Minnesota was upset in the first round of the playoffs, he joined Team Canada and helped them win the bronze medal at the World Championships. Early in the 1986-87 season the steady rearguard was traded to the New York Rangers but returned to his original club twelve months later. In 1991 his veteran savvy helped Minnesota reach the finals for the second time.
He was captain of the team during the '91 playoff run, to go along with 3 North Star team MVP awards and 5 team best defenceman awards.

Second, we are pleased to select another North Star legend, a two-time top-10 goal-scorer and a man Marcel Dionne described as, "the best left winger I ever played with. He was always working, had a great shot and was always near the net." From Fredericton, New Brunswick...

Danny Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
...The following year he turned pro with the Montreal Canadiens, but failed to squeeze his way into their talented lineup on a permanent basis. In 1968, the Habs traded Grant to the Minnesota North Stars. The move launched his career in a big way. By the end of his first full NHL campaign, he set rookie scoring records of the day with 34 goals and 64 points. He was rewarded with the Calder Trophy as the league's top rookie.

From there, Grant just kept moving up. In the first phase of his career, he proved to be very durable. He managed to run up a string of 566 straight games played. And although he was not a swift skater, he was strong on his blades. He was also characterized as a tough winger who was clever, worked hard and packed a swift, accurate wrist shot.

He used these attributes to remain as a steady scorer throughout his six campaigns in Minnesota. But before the start of year seven, the Stars' management wanted a shakeup of the club's roster. By the time the ice chips settled, Grant was a Detroit Red Wing skating alongside Marcel Dionne. The two players complemented each brilliantly. By the end of the 1974-75 season, Grant had potted 50 goals.
Grant was also applauded for his improved defensive effort after his trade to Detroit, as shown by a quote from Joe Pelletier.

Quote:
Playing along side Marcel Dionne, Grant exploded for 50 goals and 87 points. He also was lauded for his defensive effort, and even became a regular on the penalty kill unit.

Rzeznik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 03:29 PM
seventieslord

Quote:

LW Jack McDonald

D Albert Langlois
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
This IS a problem because there was a Jack McDonald who played RW for the NY Rangers and scored 19 points in 43 games in 1943-44, his only season in the big league.

We should assume seventieslord meant to draft the LW (or has evidence that he played RW too) since the pre-1925 McDonald appears to be much more deserving of all-time consideration.

Besides, according to the charity principle of interpretation (used in academic argumentation) we should assume seventieslord meant to draft the very same guy you identify.
Quote:
I noticed the RW guy too. I just thought there's a possibility of having third Jack McDonald as well. Someone who there's little info about. Someone seventies might know from his famous book collection.

I guess I'm stuck here until seventies shows up to clarify the problem. Because if the players we drafted were different as I originally assumed, and I now would change my pick because I don't believe in it anymore, it'd be against the no name dropping rule.
Yes, it's definitely the guy I picked.

My spreadsheet has him as a RW but he was a LW in my head. I just checked all my usual sources (SIHR, The Trail, hockey-reference) and he's definitely a LW. Sorry for the confusion I created by calling him a RW. But yeah, I'm definitely not after a guy who played one year in the war-ravaged NHL.

Giles, Grant, Poile, Tallon, Arnott, Lalglois... wow, my shortlist is shrinking fast!

Now I can't resist taking another player who I feel is the best offensive player remaining. In fact, when I talked about McDonald and Smith being the best, I had forgotten about this fellow:

RW Art Gagne

Next, I think at this point you can't go wrong with a player who has been 6th and 8th in Norris voting, has led the NHL in ice time multiple times, led the NHL's defensemen in goals twice, and has great size (6'2, 212)

D Adrian Aucoin

Old
08-29-2009, 03:31 PM
seventieslord

Just got a PM from Triffy. He wants RW Yuri Lebedev as a replacement for McDonald.

Old
08-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Triffy

Quote:
Just got a PM from Triffy. He wants RW Yuri Lebedev as a replacement for McDonald.
Yes, that's correct. Thanks for announcing the pick.

Regarding McDonald, I had planned to take him from the start. He had the most points for an eligible player during a randomly selected time frame. I thought he was decent first liner, but didn't think he would be spectacular. You called him one of the best offensive players in the draft. I didn't even realize he was that good.

How is he defensively?

Old
08-29-2009, 03:45 PM
seventieslord

I don't know a thing about his defensive play so I don't think it was his specialty.

Old
08-29-2009, 04:54 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

two teams have not started!

if they have not joined by the end of day 3 then we have to proceed without them

if any other guy wants to join now, they can join the draft

no way do we go past day 4 without all teams having begun drafting

Old
08-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Leafs Forever

Quote:
Now I can't resist taking another player who I feel is the best offensive player remaining. In fact, when I talked about McDonald and Smith being the best, I had forgotten about this fellow:

RW Art Gagne
There's a guy I was curious about; I actually looked at him in an MLD scoring role and then later as an extra.Looking at his finishes in your consistency in goalscoring and playmaking, he's pretty impressive. I was unsure however, based on where he went in previous times.

Do you think this guy could be an MLD scorer after a 28 team ATD?

Leafs Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 05:16 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
Do you think this guy could be an MLD scorer after a 28 team ATD?
Yes, but that's because RW is deep in talent.

It's only Day 2 and my list of top RWs has been scorched: Viktor Shalimov, Ran McDonald, Yuri Lebedev, Art Gagne. All more deserving than the AAA draft.