HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs in one year

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2004, 04:01 AM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Hamilton Bulldogs in one year

I've been looking up the birthdays of some of our prospects. Bonneau, Lapierre, Halak and D. Stewart are all scheduled to turn 20 in the spring of 2005. I figure that some of these guys (if not all) could be signed to minor league contracts by the Bulldogs (just like Jason ward did post lockout-start).

Given that the new CBA may not come about for a while, I think we may see a rather stacked and young Bulldogs lineup next year again. IMO it is likely that the Dallas-Montreal partnership may come to an end as (with the lockout) we will have nearly all current Hamilton players as incumbents wanting to keep their jobs. Add Perezhogin to that group (granted he does not end up in jail). Then you can add Bonneau, Lapierre, Halak, and D.Stewart... there is little need to ask for players from an other organization. I figure the Defencemen jobs left open by Daley and Janicevic could be filled in by a veteran not under contract anywhere (Bouillon?) or another prospect could come in (Flood? O'byrne?). There are also the numerous Euros (like Korneev and Korpikoski) who may be lured over.

Naturally Urquhart should be ready for regular AHL duty by then; Kostitsyn and Locke ought to have matured into more defensively reliable players. There may not be a need for Dusablon, Morgan or Carpentier either.

We could be looking at a lineup of...

Perezhogin-Plekanec-Ward
Higgins-Locke-Kostitsyn
Thinel-Lambert-Ferland
Ivanans-Urquhart-Lapierre
(Bonneau)-(D.Stewart)-(Milroy)

Hainsey-Komisarek
Cote-Plante
Focht-Archer
(Shasby)-

(Flood? O'byrne? Korneev? Korpikari?)

Danis-Halak

(we will have to wait another year for Chipchura)

...future looks promissing...and we may have other surprise signings too...

Last edited by not quite yoda: 11-07-2004 at 04:05 AM.
Old
11-07-2004, 04:17 AM
katodelder

IMO Chipchura will turn pro next season.

Old
11-07-2004, 06:26 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I would like to try Kostitsyn on a line with Perezhogin just to say what may develop between them. Pleks said earlier this season that their style of play is similar, and they both are highly skilled, so if we can develop some chemistry between them, we may have quite an interesting duo.

Old
11-07-2004, 08:12 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by espion

Naturally Urquhart should be ready for regular AHL duty by then; Kostitsyn and Locke ought to have matured into more defensively reliable players. There may not be a need for Dusablon, Morgan or Carpentier either.
I've seen Locke and he's a very reliable defensively. Plus he used to play PK in Ottawa usually. When your coach is Kilrea, you turn out a pretty complete player.

Old
11-07-2004, 09:14 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I'd really like to see the Habs bring Korneev over, as the lockout has to effect his ice time, and if it continues into next season, perhaps Korneev will consider playing over here to adapt to North America and see if he has the ability to play in the NHL if the damn league ever gets their stuff together.

It will be great to get Perezhogin back, assuming he is still willing to come back over. If the lockout is still on, I would crap my pants to see Kostitsyn and Perezhogin on the same line. Korneev out on the ice with them would be cool too.

Can't wait to see Lapierre in Hamilton.

Bonneau I could see getting another year in the Q or maybe even the ECHL depending on the lockout and how much he continues to improve.

Halak I assume will be in Hamilton. This will be very interesting. Danis, Halak, Michaud and maybe even Heino-Lindberg. That would be some great competition at camp. Fans are just starting to see what Danis can do, but I think many will be very happy with Heino-Lindberg if he were to come over. Although another year in Sweden wouldn't hurt, as he would be only 20.

Flood will be in Hamilton, I'm a big fan of his, hopefully he spends a lot of time getting stronger.

Danny Stewart is a tough call. He's good in the Q, but I wonder what the Habs plans are for him. He's got decent speed, a nice shot that he will use often, but other then that I havent' been too impressed with him at all. I felt he really struggled at the development camp as well. Perhaps another year in the Q, or more likely some ECHL time would help.

From the NCAA, Gleed will be going into his senior year, I'd personally leave him there, don't know what the Habs would do. O'Byrne I personally would be surprised to see in Hamilton next year although he certainly could handle the physical aspect of it. I wouldn't rush him, let him stay at Cornell for another year, and see how he does. I'd have no problem keeping OB at Cornell for his full 4 years, but it all depends on how well he progresses. I haven't seen him yet this year, but I will see 2-3 games next month. Wyman will stay, as ice time should really open up for him after the big loss of Jessiman and Stempinak this summer.

Urquhart should be ready, Larrivee has one more year on his contract. Michuad as well.

From the Euro prospects, Korneev I really hope comes over. Linhart I'd be surprised to see as he seems to finally found a home in the extra league. Heino-Lindberg I would really like to see come over as well, and from what his father told me he wants to come over, although he never said when. Don't know about Eneqvist. Korpikari I would also love to see over here, although another season in the sm-liiga wouldn't hurt. Grabovsky, Yemelin I would assume they stay over another year.

Old
11-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Traitor8

is that your lineup for next season? if it is...then you expect Hainsey,Komisarek,Plekanec and Higgins not being able to crack the Habs lineup?

Old
11-07-2004, 03:30 PM
katodelder

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Larrivee has one more year on his contract. Michuad as well.
I was under the impression that both these players were in the final year of their contracts. I could see the Habs re-signing Michaud for depth, but Larrivee? Unless he has a stellar year in the ECHL and earns a Hamilton call-up somewhere down the line (like Thinel last year), I don't know if he'll stick. The Habs tend to release at least one prospect every year and (like Marois last year) I think Larrivee is almost toast.

Old
11-07-2004, 03:50 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
is that your lineup for next season? if it is...then you expect Hainsey,Komisarek,Plekanec and Higgins not being able to crack the Habs lineup?
add Perezhogin..

Old
11-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by espion

Given that the new CBA may not come about for a while, I think we may see a rather stacked and young Bulldogs lineup next year again.
I think you guys missed that quote.

Old
11-07-2004, 04:34 PM
J-D

From what I have read, Danny Stewart will have a hard time cracking an ECHL lineup.

Old
11-07-2004, 05:25 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodelder
I was under the impression that both these players were in the final year of their contracts. I could see the Habs re-signing Michaud for depth, but Larrivee? Unless he has a stellar year in the ECHL and earns a Hamilton call-up somewhere down the line (like Thinel last year), I don't know if he'll stick. The Habs tend to release at least one prospect every year and (like Marois last year) I think Larrivee is almost toast.

No he's got one more year. I have no idea what they will do with him, his development hasnt gone that well. So far he's got 1 pt with Long Beach, he'll need to step it up a lot just to see the AHL this year.

As for Danny Stewart tough to say what they will do with him. The kid does have a nice shot, but the rest of his game isn't all that great, so he'll need to do a lot of work this year to impress Gainey/Savard enough to sign him. I don't know if he'll get signed or not, but he does have some decent offensive upside.

Old
11-07-2004, 05:42 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Dude! You have to actualy read the post before replying to it. That will likely be close to Hamilton's lineup if the lockout continues into next season. And of what I see from both sides these days, the lockout is going to last for a while.

Old
11-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D
From what I have read, Danny Stewart will have a hard time cracking an ECHL lineup.
Greg Stewart has a better chance of making the Dogs then the Q Stewart.
Greg already has Pro size and a mean streak that will bode him quite well in the Pro's.
The Q Stewart has none of the Ontario's Stewart' s atributes.

Old
11-07-2004, 06:50 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by katodelder
IMO Chipchura will turn pro next season.
Impossible. If you are from the CHL, you need to be at least 20 to play in the AHL. Chipchura is only 18 right now. He will only turn 20 on the 19th of February 2006.

That means one more year in the WHL for Chippy. Like it or not.

Old
11-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Traitor8

then do u guys think that Chipchura might just jump to the Nhl without AHL

Old
11-07-2004, 10:49 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
then do u guys think that Chipchura might just jump to the Nhl without AHL
Well first of all there seems to be no NHL. You don't seem to get that this lockout this will (in all likeyhood) last a long time. Likely at least as long as the rest of Chipchura's Junior career (= until the end of next season).

And even if the NHL was open for business today, Chipper would likely stay down in the juniors and minors until he has prooven that he can be an efficient pro. The guy is no Ovechkin, he needs grooming.

We acquired Bonk and signed him for 3 years. That indicates to me that there is no need to rush Chipchura. One more year of junior. One year with the Bulldogs. We will see after that.

Old
11-08-2004, 08:04 AM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
I'm not sure that the Habs, or any other NHL teams will be too keen on signing extra players to play on their farm teams for the start of the next season. That will take extra money, and obviously every owner will feel the pinch of losing a season's revenues. That will especially apply to non-signed Euros like Korneev, but may not apply as often to graduating college players. With regards to O'Byrne, he's only in his second season as a college player now; Gleed is in his third. There's no rush to bring either over to the pros early. I believe that the Habs have 1 year from the day the players graduate to sign them to a pro contract, or else they lose their draft rights. Under that rule, college graduated Habs 2000 picks like Ryan Glenn and Scott Selig would technically still be eligible to be signed by the Habs through to June of 2005. However, both are playing minor pros for other teams' affiliates, so the Habs may have just told them they're on their own.

As for Wyman, Jessiman is only in his 2nd college season now, so assuming no NHL games start to the fall of next year, it's also unlikely that he'll leave college early. It's much less attractive for college players to turn pro early with the lockout on, since they would be looking at tougher competition for playing time, given the extra fringe and prospect NHLers that are taken spots on AHL lineups this season. The incentive for turning pro early is obviously based on the potential opportunity to move up to the NHL, and that is on hold indefinitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I'd really like to see the Habs bring Korneev over, as the lockout has to effect his ice time, and if it continues into next season, perhaps Korneev will consider playing over here to adapt to North America and see if he has the ability to play in the NHL if the damn league ever gets their stuff together.

It will be great to get Perezhogin back, assuming he is still willing to come back over. If the lockout is still on, I would crap my pants to see Kostitsyn and Perezhogin on the same line. Korneev out on the ice with them would be cool too.

Can't wait to see Lapierre in Hamilton.

Bonneau I could see getting another year in the Q or maybe even the ECHL depending on the lockout and how much he continues to improve.

Halak I assume will be in Hamilton. This will be very interesting. Danis, Halak, Michaud and maybe even Heino-Lindberg. That would be some great competition at camp. Fans are just starting to see what Danis can do, but I think many will be very happy with Heino-Lindberg if he were to come over. Although another year in Sweden wouldn't hurt, as he would be only 20.

Flood will be in Hamilton, I'm a big fan of his, hopefully he spends a lot of time getting stronger.

Danny Stewart is a tough call. He's good in the Q, but I wonder what the Habs plans are for him. He's got decent speed, a nice shot that he will use often, but other then that I havent' been too impressed with him at all. I felt he really struggled at the development camp as well. Perhaps another year in the Q, or more likely some ECHL time would help.

From the NCAA, Gleed will be going into his senior year, I'd personally leave him there, don't know what the Habs would do. O'Byrne I personally would be surprised to see in Hamilton next year although he certainly could handle the physical aspect of it. I wouldn't rush him, let him stay at Cornell for another year, and see how he does. I'd have no problem keeping OB at Cornell for his full 4 years, but it all depends on how well he progresses. I haven't seen him yet this year, but I will see 2-3 games next month. Wyman will stay, as ice time should really open up for him after the big loss of Jessiman and Stempinak this summer.

Urquhart should be ready, Larrivee has one more year on his contract. Michuad as well.

From the Euro prospects, Korneev I really hope comes over. Linhart I'd be surprised to see as he seems to finally found a home in the extra league. Heino-Lindberg I would really like to see come over as well, and from what his father told me he wants to come over, although he never said when. Don't know about Eneqvist. Korpikari I would also love to see over here, although another season in the sm-liiga wouldn't hurt. Grabovsky, Yemelin I would assume they stay over another year.

Old
11-08-2004, 08:51 AM
saskhab

A few things to consider...

Plekanec, Komisarek, Shasby, Thinel and Carpentier all are in the final year of their NHL contracts. They may seek other options, or the Habs may not retain their rights (unlikely for the first two, somewhat likely for the last three even if Thinel has a good year). Gavin Morgan has a club option on next year's contract, I'd expect him back as a veteran. Dallas won't send us any prospects as the Iowa Stars join the AHL. Focht, Ward, and Hainsey may not re-sign with Hamilton even with a continued lockout. Plante is signed to Hamilton only as well (to end of this year).

If Halak enters the system (can he stay in Q for one more year?) I'd assume he'd get the starting job in Long Beach and Michaud would back up Danis in Hamilton. I wouldn't expect any Euros or NCAA players to join the Bulldogs, unless the Euros' icetime was in jeopardy due to locked out NHLers in their league.

This is why being an AHL GM might be one of the toughest jobs in the hockey world. So much uncertainty and little flexibility, with or without the NHL playing.

Old
11-08-2004, 11:49 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscout
I'm not sure that the Habs, or any other NHL teams will be too keen on signing extra players to play on their farm teams for the start of the next season. That will take extra money, and obviously every owner will feel the pinch of losing a season's revenues. That will especially apply to non-signed Euros like Korneev, but may not apply as often to graduating college players. With regards to O'Byrne, he's only in his second season as a college player now; Gleed is in his third. There's no rush to bring either over to the pros early. I believe that the Habs have 1 year from the day the players graduate to sign them to a pro contract, or else they lose their draft rights. Under that rule, college graduated Habs 2000 picks like Ryan Glenn and Scott Selig would technically still be eligible to be signed by the Habs through to June of 2005. However, both are playing minor pros for other teams' affiliates, so the Habs may have just told them they're on their own.

As for Wyman, Jessiman is only in his 2nd college season now, so assuming no NHL games start to the fall of next year, it's also unlikely that he'll leave college early. It's much less attractive for college players to turn pro early with the lockout on, since they would be looking at tougher competition for playing time, given the extra fringe and prospect NHLers that are taken spots on AHL lineups this season. The incentive for turning pro early is obviously based on the potential opportunity to move up to the NHL, and that is on hold indefinitely.

The Habs Russian scout says he hopes that Korneev gets traded cause of all the NHL players the team keeps adding. If the lockout goes into next season, I would guess more NHLers will look to the Euro leagues, meaning less jobs for the younger players or they will have to play in the lower leagues in some cases. Perhaps Korneev would want to come over, but right now it's all just a big guess. I spoke to Christopher Heino-Lindberg and his father and his father was telling me that Chris wants to come over, although he did not say when. I'd be surprised if the Habs said no we don't want you to come over so we can say 50K or so in AHL wages.

I agree on the NCAA players, don't see them in Hamilton next year, but that's just my opinion. Glenn and Selig were let go which is why they are with other teams. As for Jessiman, he's a junior and he won't be back next year, I'll bet money on it. I was told he was very very close to going to the AHL this year but wanted one more year with the Big Green since this could be one of the best seasons in a while (before the season started) Wyman should see more ice time next year no doubt, as Stempniak is a senior and Jessiman would be better off in the AHL then racking up points in the NCAA imo.

Closed Thread