HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey speaks about 2005 Draft.

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2004, 02:49 AM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Gainey speaks about 2005 Draft.

Gainey was interviewed along with Julien on RDS today.

Gainey did say that he was not optimistic about there being hockey this season, but "one day" there would be hockey again in the NHL but he didn't know when. Right at the end of the reportage, it was mentioned that Gainey was still unsure of wether there would be a Draft in June.

I think this is positive, as he could have just said that if there is no season, then there would be no draft. But they didn't. The door was left open.
Now I understand that the Draft is a part of the CBA and that without one there are no guidelines for the event. But just because they can't agree on how to distribute revenue, that doesn't mean they can't agree that the Draft is a vital part of the future of the NHL. I am sure they can make a special agreement outlining the guidelines for a 2005 draft so that at least part of the NHL can go on regardless of wether games were played or not.

Old
11-07-2004, 04:42 AM
Vlad The Impaler

If the draft has to be tied to a CBA, there could still be a draft anyway. Nothing says they won't hammer the CBA near June and get ready for the upcoming season.

This is why not matter what, the door IS open. Heck, they're still hoping for a season this year, no matter how hardcore they might look.

Bob Gainey is a pragmatic, patient, down to earth guy. He's realistic and leaving all options as a possibility.

There are various possibilities to make the 2005 draft happen. It's not a certainty but shouldn't be ruled out. I truely hope the draft will happen and I would LOVE for all the 30 teams to get an equal shot at all picks.

Old
11-07-2004, 04:56 AM
katodelder

Personally, I wouldn't mind waiting and seeing the '05 and '06 draft classes merged. The quality and quantity of talent would be exceptional. Another year of Crosby in the Q and the U20 would be sweet.

Old
11-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Empireshark

I wouldn't mind seeing them combined as well, it would increase the chances of getting an excellant pick no matter where you're picking in the first round.

Old
11-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

If you merge the 05 and 06 drafts, you will have to double the number of rounds.

Old
11-07-2004, 01:45 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
I would't mind to have 20 rounds.The draft will be expand on 2 days.Every will have the choice to get an excellent pick.

Old
11-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
If you merge the 05 and 06 drafts, you will have to double the number of rounds.
I don't really like this idea...it's not good for many teams. I mean, if Washington have the first pick of the 2nd round, it would be just like he's having the first overall pick...

Old
11-07-2004, 06:12 PM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
I don't really like this idea...it's not good for many teams. I mean, if Washington have the first pick of the 2nd round, it would be just like he's having the first overall pick...
I really don't understand how you come to that conclusion

if Washington has the first pick of the 2nd round, they would pick a guy that would be around 15th overall in a regular draft. Why? Because their pick would be 31st. So I really don't see how the first pick of the 2nd round would be like having the first overall pick.

Old
11-07-2004, 06:32 PM
not quite yoda

The two drafts can not possibly be merged. it would cause awhloe lot of problems. What would happen if a team have traded their 1005 2nd rounder to (say) Washington and their 2006 2nd rounder to (say) NYR. Who would have the higher pick? and both picks would result as 3rd or 4th round picks in a merged draft. Not what the trading teams had bargained for. It would be a huge ugly mess. Having the 2005 draft held alone (whenever that may be) would be the only reasonable way to go.

Old
11-07-2004, 06:34 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
You are not making any sense. How would the 31st pick of a draft be like a 1st overall pick? it would be like a 16th pick. It is the 1st and 2nd overall picks that would both be like a 1st overall pick.

Old
11-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
You are not making any sense. How would the 31st pick of a draft be like a 1st overall pick? it would be like a 16th pick. It is the 1st and 2nd overall picks that would both be like a 1st overall pick.
Your not making any sense either.....

In fact, non of yas make any sense

Old
11-07-2004, 07:41 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Your not making any sense either.....

In fact, non of yas make any sense
Actually, I'm starting to get an headache.

Old
11-08-2004, 07:57 AM
Fozz

If there's no draft this year, there really is no need to merge both upcoming drafts. It would be a perfect opportunity to move the draft age to 19 years old and leave it there for good. Therefore, we would see the same group of players available in the next draft, just one year later. 18 is too young IMO for drafting NHL players because there are still too many intangibles that can affect players that age. Heck, most of them haven't even finished growing at that age!

Old
11-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz
If there's no draft this year, there really is no need to merge both upcoming drafts. It would be a perfect opportunity to move the draft age to 19 years old and leave it there for good. Therefore, we would see the same group of players available in the next draft, just one year later. 18 is too young IMO for drafting NHL players because there are still too many intangibles that can affect players that age. Heck, most of them haven't even finished growing at that age!
I'm in total agreement with that, drafting players at 18yo is way too much of a crap shoot, as they are all mostly only showing glimpses of what they might become. Drafting players at 19yo would make a huge difference IMO. 20yo would even be better, but I don't think they'd go that far. Hey who knows, maybe if there's a 2 year lockout...

Old
11-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
You're right espion...But it still unfair for many teams.

Old
11-08-2004, 09:36 AM
saskhab

Why would they need to have the 2005 Draft in June? Couldn't they have a one-time draft during the regular season if no CBA is reached until September 2005? Baseball's entry draft occurs during the regular season. They wouldn't be able to immediately sign their picks (unless they were sitting out and not playing in hopes of getting drafted), but they'd be able to have a somewhat regular draft for both the 2005 class and 2006 class.

Depending on the schedule, they could have the Entry draft by early November 2005 in this scenario (providing for all the arrangements, preparation by each team, etc.)

Old
11-08-2004, 09:53 AM
fred2792

I can't imagine a draft with any transactions. If there's no agreement between player and owner, I don't know how a team could have a better pick. Make one draft with the 2005 and 2006 draft isn't the best solution. Maybe two draft on two consecutive week-end after the lock-out??

Old
11-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Corey

Why should Washington get the first overall pick in 2005 (or 2006)? Remember, they didn't finish last, they won the lottery for 2004. That shouldn't carry over.

Closed Thread