HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lang being offered a tryout?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-29-2009, 12:58 PM
  #26
Pr3Va1L
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
I disagree with Gomez, he is one of the premiere playmakers in the league and should be considered a legit #1 center. Not every #1 center can be a Crosby, Malkin or Thornton!

I understand, given the type of injury he had, why no one is willing to risk on Lang and I would definitely welcome Lang back if he is as good as he was last year. Lang was running our best line for a period of time last year with the Kostitsyn brothers, which would open the door to many different line combos. And it would take a lot of pressure off of Plekanec's back. It's a win/win situation for both parties.
I actually prefer Gomez to Thornton.

PPG in playoffs is more important than in reg. season!

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:00 PM
  #27
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABbiest View Post
We should really get rid of Metropolit, if we get Lang back
While some like him, I really don't see the purpose of Metropolit in our lineup. Another undersize guy who's fine defensively, okay offensively, with no real roles, that doesn't fit in a 4th line banging line or only fits in a lineup who's in need of a body to fill a sweater. We shouldn't be having a guy like that in our lineup. That's not what we should be all about. At the very least, he's taking the place of a kid who could learn faster by being on the 4th than being in Hamilton or even having to trade any of our guys 'cause we have no room. And all this for Metropolit. A guy we won't miss when he'll be leaving next year.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:02 PM
  #28
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
i agree that Metro should not be on this team, Chipper could easily take his place imo.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:16 PM
  #29
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,451
vCash: 500
I would definitely welcome a Robert Lang training camp invite. I suspect Maxim Afinogenov will also be attending Habs camp, so there should be some interesting stories to follow.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:17 PM
  #30
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post
Lang nor Plek solve our second line center problem.
Would you agree that there's at least 30 first line centers in this league?..
If so, then Gomez would fit there. In terms of point production, he's been part of the top 30 centers since the lockout. Didn't bother checking before the 04-05 year.

Plekanec has the potential of potting 60-70pts. If that's not worthy of 2nd line material, then what is?..
They're not superstars and they're not physically huge players, but they both have the skills to be 1-2 centers.
If your top 2 centers can generate 140ish pts, then you're in business. Teams like Detroit and Boston who were the most scoring ones last year, had their top 2 centers generate around 160pts.
So like I said, something around 140 which is very possible would be great.

I think we're going to have an offense more spread out on our top 2 lines.

I've always mentioned how we needed another center mainly for depth. A guy like Lang would be very helpful. I also think it would make our team look that much better.
Having a Lappy/Moen/Laraque-Stewart(hopefully Stewart added some muscles this summer) fourth line would be ideal.
We could then have a 3rd line that holds more of an offensive role, instead of having top2 offensive ones, 1 defensive one, 1 grinder one.

I was hoping the Habs invite Lang to camp for a trial even though he's old. We need as much depth as we can. We can't afford to pass up on reinforcing our center position.
So I'm glad that my idea could see the light of day. Just hope this is true and that Lang is in shape.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:23 PM
  #31
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Would you agree that there's at least 30 first line centers in this league?..
If so, then Gomez would fit there. In terms of point production, he's been part of the top 30 centers since the lockout. Didn't bother checking before the 04-05 year.

Plekanec has the potential of potting 60-70pts. If that's not worthy of 2nd line material, then what is?..
They're not superstars and they're not physically huge players, but they both have the skills to be 1-2 centers.
If your top 2 centers can generate 140ish pts, then you're in business. Teams like Detroit and Boston who were the most scoring ones last year, had their top 2 centers generate around 160pts.
So like I said, something around 140 which is very possible would be great.

I think we're going to have an offense more spread out on our top 2 lines.

I've always mentioned how we needed another center mainly for depth. A guy like Lang would be very helpful. I also think it would make our team look that much better.
Having a Lappy/Moen/Laraque-Stewart(hopefully Stewart added some muscles this summer) fourth line would be ideal.
We could then have a 3rd line that holds more of an offensive role, instead of having top2 offensive ones, 1 defensive one, 1 grinder one.

I was hoping the Habs invite Lang to camp for a trial even though he's old. We need as much depth as we can. We can't afford to pass up on reinforcing our center position.
So I'm glad that my idea could see the light of day. Just hope this is true and that Lang is in shape.
but maybe his potential is 20 goals and 19 assists for 39 points ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:24 PM
  #32
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post
but maybe his potential is 20 goals and 19 assists for 39 points ?
He proved otherwise twice.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:29 PM
  #33
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,647
vCash: 500
I was hoping this would happen! If he proves in camp that he can handle most of the pressure coming from second line duties then I would love to see Plekanec moved to solidify other holes we have in our line up.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:32 PM
  #34
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,345
vCash: 500
Mteropolit could always be waived and it could be that BGL starts the season IR. Pacioretty, Webber could play in Hamilton. Which would give us roster spots and salary space.

Then, we have guys like Chipchura, O'Byrne and Stewart that rotate in and out, gain experiance at the NHL level while training with the Habs and learning J.Martin's system.

A trade is always a possibility also. We'll see what goes on at camp! Which, looks like it'll be the most exciting Habs camp in a LONG time! Yay!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:32 PM
  #35
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
He proved otherwise twice.
maybe, but did you really watch him play, he is so scared in the corners. Even he admits to playing like a girl.

39,47,69 is ONCE. not Twice. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=56385

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:34 PM
  #36
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,300
vCash: 500
Would be nice to have him and the Kost bros together again.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:44 PM
  #37
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 45,602
vCash: 500
I'd take him back in a heartbeat and roll three offensive lines with Lats, Gomez, Gionta, Cams, Pleks, D'Ago, Kost x2, and Lang.

Leave's us with a pretty sweet 4th line of Moen - Lapierre - Chipchura/Metro/Laraque/Stewart

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:47 PM
  #38
HF-Addict
Registered User
 
HF-Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post
maybe, but did you really watch him play, he is so scared in the corners. Even he admits to playing like a girl.

39,47,69 is ONCE. not Twice. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=56385
????

47 is better than 39... = Once
69 is better than 39 .. = Twice...

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:50 PM
  #39
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
????

47 is better than 39... = Once
69 is better than 39 .. = Twice...
HUH ? he said potential 60 to 70 points ??????

ONCE !!! 47 is less than 60
39 is less than 60

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:50 PM
  #40
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post
maybe, but did you really watch him play, he is so scared in the corners. Even he admits to playing like a girl.

39,47,69 is ONCE. not Twice. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=56385
I think he meant he proved twice that his potential is better than 39pts.

Also, when talking about potential, you think of what he *could* reach, like a plateau not a flooring.

He definitely has the skills to produce more than 50pts. Will he do it, that's another question.

A very poor season for his, a horrible one, was good for 20Goals and 39pts. That means he's got good potential.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:51 PM
  #41
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think he meant he proved twice that his potential is better than 39pts.

Also, when talking about potential, you think of what he *could* reach, like a plateau not a flooring.

He definitely has the skills to produce more than 50pts. Will he do it, that's another question.

A very poor season for his, a horrible one, was good for 20Goals and 39pts. That means he's got good potential.

ok misunderstanding then...ooops to me.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:59 PM
  #42
HF-Addict
Registered User
 
HF-Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post
HUH ? he said potential 60 to 70 points ??????

ONCE !!! 47 is less than 60
39 is less than 60
You claimed Plekanec potential could be 39 points, he said Plek proved that wrong twice. But anyway. Back on topic, Lang if healthy would be great for the team.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:59 PM
  #43
The Nightman
Registered User
 
The Nightman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Would be nice to have him and the Kost bros together again.
we could also do something like A. Kost - Lang - Plekanec, I don't know how well Plekanec could play on the wing but its worth a shot.

The Nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:12 PM
  #44
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABbiest View Post
we could also do something like A. Kost - Lang - Plekanec, I don't know how well Plekanec could play on the wing but its worth a shot.
I wouldn't be too exited about that.

The point of getting Lang would be to deepen our depth at center and give us three good lines.

We definitely have the wingers to make three potentially good offensive lines.
Gionta-Lats (Gomez)
Camm-A.Kost (Plek)
Lang-S.Kost-D'Ago/MaxPac (Lang)

Those aren't line propositions, just wanted to show that we have the skills on the wings to possibly hold 3 offensive lines.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:17 PM
  #45
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I would definitely welcome a Robert Lang training camp invite. I suspect Maxim Afinogenov will also be attending Habs camp, so there should be some interesting stories to follow.
Is that just your opinion regarding Afinogenov or something confirmed elsewhere?

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:30 PM
  #46
De Montreal
help
 
De Montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: omg montréal lolzzz
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,294
vCash: 500
Andrei Kostitsyn - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta
Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Mike Cammalleri
Guillaume Latendresse - Robert Lang - Sergeď Kostitsyn
Glen Metropolit - Maxim Lapierre - Travis Moen

extras: Georges Laraque (replace Metropolit in games against tougher teams), Matt D'Agostini (if Kostitsyn or Pacioretty go into long slumps)
in Hamilton: Kyle Chipchura and Greg Stewart (will get a few calls up injuries or not)

That's one bad-ass lineup Do it Bob!

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:40 PM
  #47
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta
Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Mike Cammalleri
Guillaume Latendresse - Robert Lang - Sergeď Kostitsyn
Glen Metropolit - Maxim Lapierre - Travis Moen

extras: Georges Laraque (replace Metropolit in games against tougher teams), Matt D'Agostini (if Kostitsyn or Pacioretty go into long slumps)
in Hamilton: Kyle Chipchura and Greg Stewart (will get a few calls up injuries or not)

That's one bad-ass lineup Do it Bob!
Will not be an extra if healthy at 1.5 mill.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:41 PM
  #48
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 45,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta
Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Mike Cammalleri
Guillaume Latendresse - Robert Lang - Sergeď Kostitsyn
Glen Metropolit - Maxim Lapierre - Travis Moen

extras: Georges Laraque (replace Metropolit in games against tougher teams), Matt D'Agostini (if Kostitsyn or Pacioretty go into long slumps)
in Hamilton: Kyle Chipchura and Greg Stewart (will get a few calls up injuries or not)

That's one bad-ass lineup Do it Bob!
I doubt Pacioretty makes the team unless he REALLY, REALLY thumps everyone at camp.

D'Agostini and Chipchura both can't clear waivers, so barring something incredible from Patches, he'll be in the AHL.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:45 PM
  #49
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,529
vCash: 500
I'd rather keep the line-up the same, Lang was already slow and he got a serious injury that most likely will make him even slower. He's also not getting any younger, but if he proves me wrong good for us.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:45 PM
  #50
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
02-03 and 06-07
there were others too where injury stopped him. 96-97, 97-98, 99-00, 03-04 and 05-06.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.