HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lang being offered a tryout?

Old
08-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Joey

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post
HUH ? he said potential 60 to 70 points ??????

ONCE !!! 47 is less than 60
39 is less than 60

yeah but the season he had 47...didn't he have like 30 in his last 40 games? leading into his 69 point season? that surely cements that he has PPG potential if he strung 1.5 seasons of near-PPG value during his 24th and 25th years. last year he was extremely streaky but still had a 20 goal season and was our best forward for a few weeks around Jan/Feb.

there is no way "39 points" is his potential, sorry bud

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:51 PM
BLONG7

If he would sign for 1.5M I would think we could make this work...it would mean Metro would be gone for sure, and Pleks could move down to the 3 spot, and Laps to the 4th...but honestly, I don't think it will happen guys...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
strutsboa

It feels like a waste of skill to have Lapierre on the 4th line, I would play like this with Lang in the lineup:

Andrei Kostitsyn - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta
Tomas Plekanec - Robert Lang - Mike Cammalleri
Guillaume Latendresse - Maxim Lapierre - Sergeď Kostitsyn
Georges Laraque - Glen Metropolit - Travis Moen

strutsboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
maybe, but did you really watch him play, he is so scared in the corners. Even he admits to playing like a girl.

39,47,69 is ONCE. not Twice. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=56385
Your argument is flawed. Plekanec improved every year since joining the Habs, except last year when the whole team was off.

Throw him under a bus for one bad season. Good idea...

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:54 PM
PinchedNerve

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
I hear even Gionta is tryign to gain a few inches.

(Psss, thanks for that easy set up)
win.

PinchedNerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 01:59 PM
habsfans333*

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
It feels like a waste of skill to have Lapierre on the 4th line, I would play like this with Lang in the lineup:

Andrei Kostitsyn - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta
Tomas Plekanec - Robert Lang - Mike Cammalleri
Guillaume Latendresse - Maxim Lapierre - Sergeď Kostitsyn
Georges Laraque - Glen Metropolit - Travis Moen
Wait what?

Lapierre a waste of skill ?

Which skill?

Hello Sir...

Skill..Lapierre?

Nope man, Lapierre is very well suited for a 4th line.

Skills set, lol.

If we can get Lang, Lapierre is a 4th liners who played like a top-6 minutes last year and couldn't get 30pts.

Stop it with the Lapierre love, he is an average 3rd liner and an excellent 4th liner.

habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:09 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Your argument is flawed. Plekanec improved every year since joining the Habs, except last year when the whole team was off.

Throw him under a bus for one bad season. Good idea...
Well, your arguement is also flawed because NO he didn't improve every season since joining the Habs, he has been here 3 years and improved one year and decreased the next. I too hope Pleks becomes the great second line center we need, but i have my doubts is all.

Sit him on a pedostol for one great season.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:10 PM
habsfans333*

Quote:
Well, your arguement is also flawed because NO he didn't improve every season since joining the Habs, he has been here 3 years and improved one year and decreased the next. I too hope Pleks becomes the great second line center we need, but i have my doubts is all.

He have three 20+ goals season in a row.

Thats what a second liner usually needs to score. 20+

habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:

2005/2006 - 6 goals, 29 points.
2006/2007 - 20 goals, 47 points.
2007/2008 - 29 goals, 69 points.
2008/2009 - 20 goals, 39 points.

From where I come from, Plek's production has been progressing from 2005/2006 to 2007/2008. As we all know, last season was a disappointment for the entire team with a few exceptions in Josh Gorges, Andrei Markov, Guillaume Latendresse and Maxim Lapierre.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
he definitely worths a try.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:29 PM
PunkinDrublic*

ok ok you guys win, he is the Habs solution at center on the second line....

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 02:29 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

You're describing Higgins not Lapierre

Lapierre's hands are very under-rated, and you can see his offensive instincts in flashes. He's a tremendous 3rd-liner if he has equal linemates, otherwise he's just a "good" 3rd-liner.

He was (along with superstar Markov) our best player (for his role) last season. He deserves Top-Pk, 3rd line minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post
Wait what?

Lapierre a waste of skill ?

Which skill?

Hello Sir...

Skill..Lapierre?

Nope man, Lapierre is very well suited for a 4th line.

Skills set, lol.

If we can get Lang, Lapierre is a 4th liners who played like a top-6 minutes last year and couldn't get 30pts.

Stop it with the Lapierre love, he is an average 3rd liner and an excellent 4th liner.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 03:28 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
We have 3 2nd line centers if Lang comes back, so it's not a problem at all... the problem is on our first line.

Gomez is not a 1st line center, he's just a younger Saku.
Gomez has 45 points in his last 42 playoff games. That puts him in the top 10 performers in the league, for chrissaskes!

In the same period of time, Kovalev who is knows as a playoff performer has 31 points in 33 games, and Koivu, another clutch guy, has 30 points in 31 games.

If this is what you mean by Gomez being a younger Koivu, then it's all good!!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 03:31 PM
strutsboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post
Skill..Lapierre?
Skill was maybe wrong word to use, but I really think he deserves a spot in the 3rd line. Lapierre was a beast in every single game last year and I can't believe you want him on our 4th line with limited icetime.

15 goals for a 3rd line center without PP-time is very good, his +9 rating (3rd in the entire team) makes it even better.

Lapierre made 25 points in even strength, 12 goals. Kovalev, our top-scorer, scored 14 goals...

Old
08-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Andy

Quote:
Skill was maybe wrong word to use, but I really think he deserves a spot in the 3rd line. Lapierre was a beast in every single game last year and I can't believe you want him on our 4th line with limited icetime.

15 goals for a 3rd line center without PP-time is very good, his +9 rating (3rd in the entire team) makes it even better.

Lapierre made 25 points in even strength, 12 goals. Kovalev, our top-scorer, scored 14 goals...
Selanne had 9 even strength goals last year, therefore, Lapierre is a better goalscorer than Selanne.

Patrick Kane had 12 even-strength goals last year, Lapierre is as a good a goal scorer and player as Patrick Kane.

Nicklas Backstrom had 8 even strength goals last, Lapierre is better Backstrom.
Stats mean nothing other than this player did this at this time during this year.

And I also like to add Lapierre played around 16-18 minutes a night near the end of the season.

Last edited by Andy: 08-29-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 03:54 PM
strutsboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Selanne had 9 even strength goals last year, therefore, Lappiere is a better goalscorer than Selanne.

Patrick Kane had 12 even-strength goals last year, Lappiere is as a good a goal scorer and player as Patrick Kane.

Nicklas Backstrom had 8 even strength goals last, Lappiere is better Backstrom.
Stats mean nothing other than this player did this at this time during this year.

And I also like to add Lappiere played around 16-18 minutes a night near the end of the season.
Are you serious?!

habsfans333 said that it was bad to not score 30 points as a 3rd line centre and I just tried to prove him wrong, therefore I mentioned his lack of PP-time and focused on his EQ play. Of course EQ-goals is far from everything, but you can't say that Lapierres stats last year is worth a 4th line spot, which was the opinion I wanted to send out...

Edit: I start to understand why people think we have the most ridiculous fans in the league...

Old
08-29-2009, 04:00 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Gomez is not a 1st line center, he's just a younger Saku.
Besides the playoff production argument, there's more to being a first-liner than just putting up points.

Gomez is a guy who drives puck possession even against top opposition. You can send him out against the other guys' best players and you can feel confident that the offense will generally flow your way, which is something you couldn't with Saku. This is more than being able to defend -- Gomez is able to play against those guys and play in the opposing zone and get offense going.

He is also a guy you use in the last minute whether up or down a goal. That's not the case of a Vinny Lecavalier, say -- Lecavalier may put up points but he's terrible for allowing goals against.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Are you serious?!

habsfans333 said that it was bad to not score 30 points as a 3rd line centre and I just tried to prove him wrong, therefore I mentioned his lack of PP-time and focused on his EQ play. Of course EQ-goals is far from everything, but you can't say that Lapierres stats last year is worth a 4th line spot, which was the opinion I wanted to send out...

Edit: I start to understand why people think we have the most ridiculous fans in the league...
There are some very ridiculous fans, that's for sure, but I also think there was alot of sarcasm in his post... you'll see soon enough, we, Habs fans, are a sarcastic lot

As for Lang, I wouldn't mind him one bit, and wouldn't mind Plekanec on the LW either (I think he already played there anyway). BUT something will have to be done to the cap space before we sign him, or right after, cause I can't believe we will begin the season with the little cap space it would leave to us...

And Lapierre... we'll have to see what JM will do with him, but I can't believe he will play on the 4th line with the way he played last season. JM is not Carbo, he will not roll 4 lines equally, and the 4th line will see limited action, that's for sure, and I believe Lapierre actually contributes on the ice whenever he's there. I still see some untapped offensive potential, cause around the opposing net, he's a real pest with underrated hands...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
There are some very ridiculous fans, that's for sure, but I also think there was alot of sarcasm in his post... you'll see soon enough, we, Habs fans, are a sarcastic lot

As for Lang, I wouldn't mind him one bit, and wouldn't mind Plekanec on the LW either (I think he already played there anyway). BUT something will have to be done to the cap space before we sign him, or right after, cause I can't believe we will begin the season with the little cap space it would leave to us...

And Lapierre... we'll have to see what JM will do with him, but I can't believe he will play on the 4th line with the way he played last season. JM is not Carbo, he will not roll 4 lines equally, and the 4th line will see limited action, that's for sure, and I believe Lapierre actually contributes on the ice whenever he's there. I still see some untapped offensive potential, cause around the opposing net, he's a real pest with underrated hands...
Thank god some people here have a sense of humor. People are wayyyyyyyyyy to defsenive and tight assed on this board.

Old
08-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Andy

Quote:
Are you serious?!

i never said his stats are worthy of fourth line play, where did I say that. I like Lapierre, you can even check my post history he's one of my favorite players and I do think he should be our 3rd line center unless we can bring in another offensive center ala Lang, it would be a shame to have him play 4th line duties, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Secondly, the point I was trying to make was that stats aren't everything, so he scored 12 goals at ES, it's impressive yes, but does that mean he is as good as other players because he's scored the same amount of goals? Ryder is better than Gionta because he scored more goals last year? Is that the case? No, so then why use stats to prove that Lapieree is better than X player. You can say he is better because he brings more to the table but don't say, Lapierre got 12 ES goals, this guy got 11, So Lapierre isn't that bad!

In the last 5 years, Ryder had more goals than player that has played with us, does that mean he would be the best goal scorer on our team and one of our best players?

Last edited by Andy: 08-29-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old
08-29-2009, 04:16 PM
strutsboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Yeah I understood his sarcasm about the other players, but I still think it sounds like he was questioning Lapierre as a 3rd line center in his post. It was that part I wanted to know if he meant or not.

Sarcasm is a great thing, the supporters of my Swedish team is almost always sarcastic about everything.

Great thoughts in your post by the way, much appreciated!

Old
08-29-2009, 04:19 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Is that just your opinion regarding Afinogenov or something confirmed elsewhere?
Just me speculating. I speculate he's been offered to attend the camp, and hasn't refused. If he doesn't get another NHL offer, I think you might see him in Canadiens camp.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Andy

Quote:
Yeah I understood his sarcasm about the other players, but I still think it sounds like he was questioning Lapierre as a 3rd line center in his post. It was that part I wanted to know if he meant or not.

Sarcasm is a great thing, the supporters of my Swedish team is almost always sarcastic about everything.

Great thoughts in your post by the way, much appreciated!
My post had nothing to do with Lapierre and his capabilites of being a 3rd line center, I never once in my post even used the word, 3rd line center. My point was more about using stats to prove players skill, worth and abilities.

Example, Matt Stajan had more points than Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Koivu last year, Matt Stajan is better than Plekanec, Kostitsyn and Koivu.

Would you rather have Matt Stajan than anyone of those players?

Last edited by Andy: 08-29-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old
08-29-2009, 04:24 PM
strutsboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
i never said his stats are worthy of fourth line play, where did I say that.
You didn't say that but habsfans333 did and I felt like you were backing him up on his post.

I didn't mean to make a big discussion about points, I know very well that is very missleading sometimes. I just responded on his post about Lapierres lack of points and told him that I didn't thought it was that bad.

Whether we sign Lang or not I think Lapierre should be centering our 3rd line.

Old
08-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Andy

Quote:
You didn't say that but habsfans333 did and I felt like you were backing him up on his post.

I didn't mean to make a big discussion about points, I know very well that is very missleading sometimes. I just responded on his post about Lapierres lack of points and told him that I didn't thought it was that bad.

Whether we sign Lang or not I think Lapierre should be centering our 3rd line.
So do I, but that's if we rid of Plekanec which I think we should, if we can't, then I guess that's what it is. If we do sign Lang and JM delegates Lapierre to the fourth line, then so be it especially if we would be winning.

the problem I see with Montreal fans is that they'd prefer certain players to do well than having the whole team do well.

We can be 46-10-4 60 games into the season with lapierre as our 4th line center and someone will complain because Lapierre is playing on the fourth line rather than being happy with such a successful team.